Chris Johnson: I’m going to be as good as my offensive line

Tennessee Titans v Houston Texans Getty Images

After the second game of the season, Titans running back Chris Johnson answered a question about his piddling production by saying that people on the offense needed to do their jobs if he was going to be successful.

It wasn’t hard to guess which players Johnson thought were falling short. The finger was pointed at the offensive line, something that some thought was less than charitable given how little Johnson was able to do even when the blocking did give him a chance to gain yardage.

Johnson finally flashed some of his old skills in Sunday’s otherwise dismal 38-14 loss to the Texans. After the game, Johnson again pointed the finger at his blockers but he did it in order to point out how good a job they did opening up holes. It might have fallen short of LeRoy Harris’ skewed self-assessment, but it was still an appropriate response from Johnson.

“Yeah, it was a pretty good game, running the ball or whatever,” Johnson said, via Jim Wyatt of the Tennessean. “I feel like my offensive line went out there and did a great job from the first snap. Just getting up on guys, pushing those guys back, recreating the line of scrimmage and just giving me somewhere to run. Like I’ve been saying all year, I’m going to be as good as my offensive line.”

Johnson finished the day with 141 yards on 25 carries, a very positive development for the Titans offense that they’ll need to replicate if they want to improve on their 1-3 start to the season. Johnson said he doesn’t think the team has totally solved the problems with the ground game from the first three weeks, but it should be far easier to build on what’s working than trying to come up with a solution to something that keeps malfuctioning.

Permalink 37 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, Tennessee Titans
37 Responses to “Chris Johnson: I’m going to be as good as my offensive line”
  1. dublindemonszfl says: Oct 1, 2012 1:45 PM

What a jerk, a class act player would keep it in the locker room.

2. htown1035 says: Oct 1, 2012 1:46 PM

Johnson didn’t mention that 66 of those yards came in the 4th quarter when the game was already over and the Texans were playing bench guys.

3. bennyb82 says: Oct 1, 2012 1:46 PM

Gotta love how Chris Johnson is talking so much about his success being tied to the o-line now that his best season is behind him.

4. tdshouldbeinthehall says: Oct 1, 2012 1:46 PM

And that’s why no team should ever give a RB a big contract.

5. nyyjetsknicks says: Oct 1, 2012 1:51 PM

Does he know he’s not a big guy? If I’m on the OL, I’m letting someone get a clean shot on him.

6. rams1999 says: Oct 1, 2012 1:52 PM

This guy just straight out SUCKS. 1 year wonder. People please stop calling him CJ2K. You know how idiotic that sounds. Call him CJ 398yds.

7. slizzyslizz says: Oct 1, 2012 1:52 PM

I think its no coincidence that it came with Hasselbeck at qb.

I like Locker, but he must be doing something to.tip his hand to opposing defenses.

8. kvanhorn87 says: Oct 1, 2012 1:53 PM

So I guess he his humility will help him share his money with his o line, since he is only really good when they are?

9. 7pints says: Oct 1, 2012 1:56 PM

Always someone else’s fault, right Chris? Unfortunately, that is a theme in our country these days. No accountability.

10. carlonious says: Oct 1, 2012 1:56 PM

Do you think Walter Payton ever threw HIS line under the bus?

11. shian11 says: Oct 1, 2012 1:57 PM

Chris Johnson could not use the word “I” more or be more concerned about himself if he tried!! All I ever hear out of this guy is I,I,I!! I’m Gunna run for 2000 yards, I’m Gunna be back in form, I’m the best back in football!! Man, I miss watching Tomlinson, Martin, Taylor, bettis, Lewis, Dunn– this dude reminds me of tiki. Maybe if you think team 1st, it might go better

12. karlton3 says: Oct 1, 2012 2:01 PM

I wonder how much of Johnson’s new contract will be shared with his offensive line…

13. letsgotemple says: Oct 1, 2012 2:01 PM

Eagles are using back ups of back ups on the O line, and facing a Giants D, Shady put up over 120 yards. Let’s see what CJ would do against that line. I don’t hear Shady complaining about our line.

14. thankheavenfornumberseven says: Oct 1, 2012 2:04 PM

Any running back is as good as his offensive line. A special running back gets something beyond what the line gives him. Watch the Viking offense when you’re on the sidelines this week, Chris, if you want to see what I mean.

15. samoanjungle says: Oct 1, 2012 2:04 PM

Maybe the Oline should have gotten those millions that he held out for if THEY are the one’s responsible.

16. flavordave says: Oct 1, 2012 2:06 PM

this is the same guy who when he rushed for 2000 yards didn’t even go out and buy his offensive lineman
    a gift. Did he mention his line when things went great? Classless jerk.

17. theralph2012 says: Oct 1, 2012 2:06 PM

Chris Johnson represents everything that is wrong with the NFL. This is the guy that asked people to pray for him on twitter when he was going through a multi million dollar contract dispute. Absolute hack.

18. dukemarc says: Oct 1, 2012 2:08 PM

Chris, the dollar amount on the contract you signed says you should still be able to produce at an AVERAGE level with a terrible o-line. Of course, that’s why everyone was telling the Titans they were nuts for signing you to it.

19. cmstrick says: Oct 1, 2012 2:11 PM

I don’t get why the media loves this guy so much. He’s a whiner and a flake, and he always has been. Yeah, your o-line may suck, but crying to the media about it isn’t going to help, Milli. Or is it Vanilli? I can never remember…

20. DailySpew says: Oct 1, 2012 2:14 PM

21. pacific123ocean says: Oct 1, 2012 2:20 PM

CJ, you need to take a look at Barry Sanders…he didn’t have a great Oline and he still got his yards.

22. justrunit11 says: Oct 1, 2012 2:21 PM

If i was an Oline from the Titans I wouldn’t block for this SOB

23. djaehne says: Oct 1, 2012 2:27 PM

He should split up his paycheck 5 more ways and give it to his line. Perhaps they’ll block for you better since you’ve spent so much time throwing them under the bus for your lack of effort.

24. greymares says: Oct 1, 2012 2:30 PM

this clown will be totally insignificant by seasons end.

25. thepvyharvin says: Oct 1, 2012 2:44 PM

CJ,,,,when you come to MN this weekend,take a look at the man the world calls AD. He is everything you’re not, great and a true professional. Oh btw, Vikings D stuffing you son.

26. db105 says: Oct 1, 2012 2:44 PM

CJ is right. Poorly run teams overpay for RBs.

27. mvp43 says: Oct 1, 2012 2:51 PM

You what Chris- maybe you should restructure your salary to give more money to your O-Line when you do have a great game……….

28. jhtobias says: Oct 1, 2012 3:11 PM

Well according to this mans theory any minimum wasge fa running back can be great with a great offensive line.. Heck why give any rb a contract over the minimum when it is the o line who should be making the money..

Thank you Chris from all offensive lineman in the league.

29. tennesseeoilers says: Oct 1, 2012 3:14 PM

Chris, that may be the first accurate thing I’ve seen you say in months. You’re right, average running backs are only as good as their offensive line. GREAT backs, however, transcend average or inferior offensive lines.

-Titans Fan

30. stlsteelerfan says: Oct 1, 2012 3:34 PM

Does he realize his line has 3 solid Pro Bowlers? Most RBs would kill to have three solid Pro Bowlers blocking for them.

31. Carl Gerbschmidt says: Oct 1, 2012 4:38 PM

I have a feeling the Titans get back on track after this next week.

32. obie09 says: Oct 1, 2012 4:50 PM

LOL these comments always give me a lugh? He can’t win even when he says that his success is directly linked to his blocking, which is absoltely true for any RB that isn’t named AP or Barry Sanders or a few others. You should never pay top money for a RB. An average RB can be productive behind a top 15 offensive line. Too bad the Titans O-line is ranked currently at the worst in at least 15-20 years by quite a bit.

So much false information in these comments too it’s ridiculous. CJ thanked his line near the end of his 2000 yard season, he bought them all watches as well. Also no, no team in the NFL would want our washed up o-lineman. Our 3 interior lineman are all either backups or old as dirt. Hutchinson couldn’t cut it for the Vikings anymore and it’s obvious after 4 games he has nothing left.

33. stephen031 says: Oct 1, 2012 5:56 PM

He gives full credit for his performance to his OL and gets massively ridiculed? LOL, okay. Once someone says something to get under people’s skin I guess everything they say gets put under a microscope and attacked.

34. mazblast says: Oct 1, 2012 6:13 PM

His prior statements have brought the current ridicule and scorn upon him.

Dailyspew said it best–

“Just don’t say anything. If your line is bad, just be accountable for yourself and keep your mouth shut. And when they play well, don’t act like it’s a fluke event like February 29th. Just play the game.”

35. truthserum4u says: Oct 2, 2012 5:49 AM

But he has some really good o-lineman blocking for him. AD has been running behind a sub-par line for the past few seasons and you don’t hear a peep out of him.

As others have pointed out, Payton and Sanders, among others, ran behind some otrocious lines and they did nothing but produce, produce and produce some more.

36. dallascowboysdishingthereal says: Oct 2, 2012 9:25 AM

Funny how these star running backs don’t talk about the importance of the offensive line when they are negotiating their contracts.

37. babylinc09 says: Oct 2, 2012 12:05 PM

What all of you fail to remember, is CJ2K still has more rushing yards than anyone over the last 5 years…. He will still be a top 5 rusher at season end…