Greg Jennings could be shut down for a week

New Orleans Saints v Green Bay Packers Getty Images

The Packers lost wide receiver Greg Jennings during Sunday’s win over the Saints and it sounds like they could be missing him a little while longer.

At his Monday press conference, Packers coach Mike McCarthy said that Jennings’ groin injury flared up during the game. That left him unable to open up to a full stride while running and, per McCarthy, leaves him back where he was two weeks ago in terms of the injury. McCarthy suggested that shutting Jennings down for a week was an option.

That would force Jennings to miss the Week Five game against the Colts, but that might be in everyone’s best interests if it means that he can be closer to full speed in time for a Sunday night date with the Texans in Week Six.

Jennings already missed one game as a result of his groin injury and has been limited to 12 catches for 78 yards in the three games he has been able to play so far this season. He had one catch for nine yards and a touchdown against the Saints.

McCarthy also updated the status of another injured Jennings. He said there isn’t a high level of concern about the shoulder injury suffered by safety M.D. Jennings.

Permalink 47 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Green Bay Packers, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
47 Responses to “Greg Jennings could be shut down for a week”
  1. rg3andout says: Oct 1, 2012 5:14 PM

so pick up james jones in FF for next week, play the colts, and their cb’s are banged up

2. Carl Gerbschmidt says: Oct 1, 2012 5:15 PM

Next. Man. Up.

3. jhein23 says: Oct 1, 2012 5:16 PM

Packers have 3 games on the road – Colts, Texans and Rams. I’d be very happy if they can go 2-1 before coming back to Lambeau for the Jaguars.

Guarantee half the comments on this story are from Vikings fans totally obsessed with the Packers.

4. dublindemonszfl says: Oct 1, 2012 5:17 PM

That would be smart, better to have him long term than a question mark every week.

5. gregm5s7 says: Oct 1, 2012 5:17 PM

Unfortunate, but luckily the Packers are deep at this position. There were James Jones trade rumors before the season, but he has played very well so far this year, and glad to see him still on the team.

6. billh1947 says: Oct 1, 2012 5:19 PM

Any team want a 30 year old free agent reciever with an injury history next season,bring out those millions,please.

7. mvp43 says: Oct 1, 2012 5:20 PM

You have to wonder if Jennings is done in Green Bay. Ted Thompson will not break the bank on a guy who’s 30 and has been injured on and off the past couple years. Trades are almost unheard of in the NFL, but maybe Ted ca ubnload him and get at least something for him.

8. jonny42671 says: Oct 1, 2012 5:20 PM

It must have been the referees fault?

9. iamthorny says: Oct 1, 2012 5:21 PM

85 has only been able to complete one full game since getting injured vs. Oakland last year. A stretch of 9 games (including playoffs).

This is not the way he wanted his contract year to go.

10. lbpackfan says: Oct 1, 2012 5:23 PM

jonny42671 says:
    Oct 1, 2012 5:20 PM
    It must have been the referees fault?

————————————–

Getting old.

11. thepvyharvin says: Oct 1, 2012 5:40 PM

Packers got lucky,,,Saints really did beat themselves,,,something Rodgers and Clay know all about,,,

12. Wisconsin77 says: Oct 1, 2012 5:47 PM

rg3andout says: Oct 1, 2012 5:14 PM

I did that last time Jennings was out. James Jones had 1 catch for 4 yards. You would be surprised how awful James Jones is when there isn’t another WR out there drawing double coverage.

13. lbpackfan says: Oct 1, 2012 5:47 PM

thepvyharvin says:
    Oct 1, 2012 5:40 PM

———————————————

Yes, winning when all your TD’s come from your special teams is lucky.

14. thetokyosandblaster says: Oct 1, 2012 5:51 PM

Kinda wish thepvyharvin was on that bridge…

15. bigbuck54246 says: Oct 1, 2012 6:00 PM

It’s too bad. I’ve always been a fan of GJ85, but if he’s looking for Vincent Jackson type money, I just don’t see the benefit for the Packers. There are way to many contracts coming up for guys that are more integral to the teams success. And yes pvy, it’s obvious that the Saints beat themselves, what with all of their turnovers and their o-line giving up so many sacks. Now the Packers win and it’s the other team beating themselves, but last week it was “the Pack should have played better and not put themselves in that position”. Interesting. And according to many on this site, it’s us Packers fans who are whiners and ill-informed.

16. cletusvandam says: Oct 1, 2012 6:04 PM

If I were the Packers I’d unload this guy to the first team that called and offered a ham sandwich.

17. kotapug1 says: Oct 1, 2012 6:05 PM

thetokyosandblaster says: Oct 1, 2012 5:51 PM

Kinda wish thepvyharvin was on that bridge…

I dont see him wishing you where out deer hunting ?

Pack have not looked good all year and yesterday they showed flashes of what we saw last year. If you are a real Packers fan you have to be thankful you are not 0-4 because all of your wins could of gone the other way. I believe they will come around and be just fine but they are not playing anywhere near the expectations everyone has.

18. daaabears says: Oct 1, 2012 6:07 PM

Pack has enough weapons, with Rodgers tossing. Let him rest ’til he’s healthy.

19. thetokyosandblaster says: Oct 1, 2012 6:09 PM

kotapug1 says:
    Oct 1, 2012 6:05 PM
    thetokyosandblaster says: Oct 1, 2012 5:51 PM

Kinda wish thepvyharvin was on that bridge…

I dont see him wishing you where out deer hunting ?

—-

I don’t care what he wishes.

Beyond that, have the Packers looked out of sync? Sure. They’re *really* a 3-1 team, and they just played the worst part of their schedule. It’s so much easier from here on out. They never play on a short or long week, they only have two tough games on the schedule yet. So at worst, they’re going to be 12-4, and at BEST, the Vikings are going to be 8-8.

20. thepvyharvin says: Oct 1, 2012 6:10 PM

thetokyopillowbiter says:
    Oct 1, 2012 5:51 PM
    Kinda wish thepvyharvin was on that bridge…
    ====================================
    I was. If it wasn’t for the WI gal I picked up at happy hour,I never could of floated her to Red Wing and safety,,,

21. randallflagg52 says: Oct 1, 2012 6:16 PM

Overrated.

22. harness88 says: Oct 1, 2012 6:29 PM

Packer fans really need help.

23. lambeauphan says: Oct 1, 2012 6:33 PM

the longer he is out the more interesting is going to be to see how TT deals with 85 at the end of the season

24. lbpackfan says: Oct 1, 2012 6:34 PM

thepvyharvin says:
    Oct 1, 2012 6:10 PM
    thetokyopillowbiter says:
    Oct 1, 2012 5:51 PM
    Kinda wish thepvyharvin was on that bridge…
    ====================================

——————————————–

Bridge jokes = stepping over the line (much like Majkowski vs Bears in’89).

I’ll admit though, pvy’s reply was good…

25. thetokyosandblaster says: Oct 1, 2012 6:38 PM

harness88 says:
    Oct 1, 2012 6:29 PM
    Packer fans really need help.

We’re doing just fine, actually. Ranked the best fans in sports for years, and that won’t change any time soon.

I feel sorry for you.

26. thetokyosandblaster says: Oct 1, 2012 6:44 PM

thepvyharvin says:
    Oct 1, 2012 6:10 PM
    thetokyopillowbiter says:
    Oct 1, 2012 5:51 PM
    Kinda wish thepvyharvin was on that bridge…
    ====================================

——————————————–

Bridge jokes = stepping over the line (much like Majkowski vs Bears in’89).

I’ll admit though, pvy’s reply was good…

Viking fan in disguise…

27. whatjusthapped says: Oct 1, 2012 6:52 PM

If Jennings makes it to free agency, watch for the Vikings to sign him. He fits their profile, ex-Packer on the downside of his career and the Vikings will over pay to get him.

28. emoney826 says: Oct 1, 2012 7:00 PM

Say what you want about Pvyharvin…the man has hilarious responses to anything you throw at him.

29. rtl1984 says: Oct 1, 2012 7:01 PM

I had the opportunity to go to Lambeau for Rodger’s first start, and I was treated really good by the packers fans even though I was wearing my purple A.P. jersey (I thought I was a dead man walking) even after the Vikings lost i got friendly pats on the back with the fans saying “it’s only week one” after that, I’ve really liked packer fans and I would like to go back to that field.

But this tokyosandblaster…he has to go.

Makes packer fans look bad.

30. lbpackfan says: Oct 1, 2012 7:17 PM

thetokyosandblaster says:
    Oct 1, 2012 6:44 PM
    thepvyharvin says:
    Oct 1, 2012 6:10 PM
    thetokyopillowbiter says:
    Oct 1, 2012 5:51 PM
    Kinda wish thepvyharvin was on that bridge…
    ====================================

——————————————–

Bridge jokes = stepping over the line (much like Majkowski vs Bears in’89).

I’ll admit though, pvy’s reply was good…

Viking fan in disguise…

—————————————–

Not even close.

I despise the Vikes and everything about them, but will give credit when credit is due.

Pvy is a complete chaunce, but his comments can be funny from time to time.

31. stellarperformance says: Oct 1, 2012 7:23 PM

jonny42671 says: Oct 1, 2012 5:20 PM
    It must have been the referees fault?
    ===============================
    If you say so.

32. wafflestomp says: Oct 1, 2012 7:57 PM

This story was about Greg Jennings, right?

33. jonny42671 says: Oct 1, 2012 8:33 PM

Green Bay Packers ….The Greatest Team in the History of all Sports and the Greatest Fans in the History of all Sports. I don’t understand why anyone even plays the game or why fans even pull for anyone else? Go have another Beer Cry Baby Packer Fans, you are a embarrassment to all other sports fans.

34. dcviking says: Oct 1, 2012 9:37 PM

Wait — aren’t the packers technically 4 – 2. Since they beat themselves that one game, don’t they get credit for a win and a loss?

35. dcviking says: Oct 1, 2012 9:37 PM

Ooops, make that 3 -2. Either that, or they beat themselves both games and are 4 – 2.

36. conormacleod says: Oct 1, 2012 10:10 PM

Seems the Packers should be more concerned about their pass DEFENSE…still.

37. Great Caesar's Ghost says: Oct 1, 2012 10:11 PM

Vikings fans I meet are obsessed with Wisconsin and the Packers. I’ve noticed Packer fans barely acknowledge the Vikes and don’t seem to mind that Minnesotans get so hot and bothered about them. Bears are the Pack’s #1 rival and I think it’s great that that’s what NFC North football is all about. Two great fan bases with 21 championships between them. Lions have won four as well.

38. conormacleod says: Oct 1, 2012 10:11 PM

All we really know so far this season is the gap between the Packers and the rest of the league is a lot smaller this year than last. Window…closing…

39. thetokyosandblaster says: Oct 1, 2012 10:19 PM

jonny42671 says:
    Oct 1, 2012 8:33 PM

We get it. You wish you were us, but you’re not, so you bash us.

It’s a classic case of jealousy.

You have two options. Try to cheer for a lesser team, or convert and cheer for the Packers.

40. thetokyosandblaster says: Oct 1, 2012 10:38 PM

But this tokyosandblaster…he has to go.

Makes packer fans look bad.

Honestly, I may have been one of those people you’re talking about. The thing is, I grew weary of Contra, kathykathy, GTODriver, ConorMcleod, pvyharvin, and several others trolling and trolling and trolling.

So you have to deal with one Packers troll, while Packers fans have to deal with 5-10 Vikings trolls.

I think you’ll live.

41. cobaltdriver says: Oct 1, 2012 11:04 PM

Again, from the bitter Viking fans….you gals are the ones talking about the Packers so much…please go away or grow up..find a boyfreind and get a friggin life.

42. cobaltdriver says: Oct 1, 2012 11:06 PM

This story was about Greg Jennings, right?

This whole blog should be about FOOTBALL, but the Cryking “fans” are turning it into a high school burn book..lol”mean girls”

43. filthymcnasty1 says: Oct 1, 2012 11:14 PM

jonny42671 says: Oct 1, 2012 8:33 PM

Well said.

44. onwisc0nsin says: Oct 2, 2012 12:44 AM

Jennings is as good as gone. That has been the word in the local press for some time now. No reason to trade him. The time is now to win a Super Bowl. Need all available hands on deck.

45. jonny42671 says: Oct 2, 2012 9:35 AM

Packer Fans. Take a good look in the mirror then take a look at your wife, and look how your players and coaches say they really didn’t lose or how they cry after every flag. Please tell me who would be jealous about that?? I will take Love Boat, 4 Superbowl Losses and YOUR god Bret Favre any day. BTW…in one season here, Favre had the best of his career and said he finally felt at home. I know Packer Fans….it still hurts. Sorry

46. stellarperformance says: Oct 2, 2012 12:06 PM

I just looked in the mirror. This is what I found:

Better team
    Better players
    Better legacy
    Better stadium
    Better coaches
    Better quarterback
    Better history
    Better reputation
    Better fans
    Etc.,
    Etc.,
    Etc.

Did you ever notice how a lightbulb burns brightest just as it burns out, or a pen writing smoothly just before it runs out of ink? That was Favre….and no it doesn’t hurt.

Yeah, he pulled out the stops for one year, but how did it work out for you? I can answer that…….

Exactly as we predicted.

Have a good season. Save your “Maybe Next Year” t-shirts.

47. cobaltdriver says: Oct 2, 2012 4:55 PM

I’d sure like to read where and and what publication he actually said that..do you have a archive or a reference to the article where he really said that? Inquiring minds want to know…I don’t recall him ever saying to ANYONE in the media that..if he did it , the world would ‘ve known it. References please. Or stop saying things that aren ‘t true…it’s called blasphemy.