Matt Forte’s made progress, remains game-time decision

Matt Forte AP

There’s one more game left to go before we can put Week Four to bed and one big game-time decision hanging over the proceedings.

Bears running back Matt Forte’s status won’t be determined until the Bears see how his ankle responds during pre-game warmups at Cowboys Stadium on Monday night. Coach Lovie Smith sounded a somewhat optimistic note about Forte’s health in a radio interview on Monday while saying that his ability to play remains up in the air.

“It’s a game-time decision for Matt. He’s made a lot of progress,” Smith said Monday on WBBM-AM 780, via ESPNChicago.com. “We’ll get over to the stadium, see how he does then and decide.”

If Forte doesn’t go, Michael Bush will take over lead back duties for the second straight week. Even if Forte is in uniform, it’s a good bet that Bush will see a bigger workload than might be in the cards when Forte is 100 percent. Either way, the Bears will have to make an impact on the ground against the league’s stingiest defense against the pass through the first three weeks of the season.

Permalink 13 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Chicago Bears, Dallas Cowboys, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
13 Responses to “Matt Forte’s made progress, remains game-time decision”
  1. tmac4454 says: Oct 1, 2012 11:41 AM

I am not a Bears fan but I am rooting for Forte & Bush to come out and shine. I need Chicago OL to do a better job than they did against the Packers.
    I wanna see some smash mouth football from Peppers and crew. I wanna see some chemistry from Cutler to Marshall.

Chicago 28-Dallas 3!!!!!!

2. knackstermyea says: Oct 1, 2012 11:46 AM

Hope he does play then theres no excuses when The Boys B%#@! slap Da Bears.

3. ceschatz says: Oct 1, 2012 11:48 AM

the leagues stingiest pass defense….that’s something us cowboy fans haven’t heard in awhile

4. redfield11 says: Oct 1, 2012 12:01 PM

28pts against the top ranked defense in the nfl? a team that hasn’t given up 20pts to any teams yet (10 of 27 was special teams in seattle).

No, that wont happen. I’m not saying the bears won’t win but if they do it’s not going to be a blowout like that.

5. philtration says: Oct 1, 2012 12:31 PM

I hate when the Bears play at night.
    Cutler always plays like he is in a daze during night games and it is probably due to his Diabetes. It does affect your vision.

Since Bush will get more carries even if Forte is playing maybe the Bears can wake up to the fact that Bush is a much better runner up the middle.
    Leave the bouncing it to the outside stuff for Forte.

6. shwoogy1 says: Oct 1, 2012 12:54 PM

Good thing we gave Forte all of that money. He is turning softer and softer each season.

7. goods65 says: Oct 1, 2012 12:55 PM

i gotta make a decision by tonight.got both on my fantasy team.Got bush starting,down 11 pts my opponent has murray.So hopefully one of the two can do some serious damage running and catching the ball and get me a couple TD’s.

8. redfield11 says: Oct 1, 2012 12:58 PM

on the flipside the cowboys will not have ratliff (all pro d lineman)/church(rising star at safety) or spencer (statistically top 5 rolb last year), so here’s hoping (as a cowboys fan) that forte needs one more day to get it together and that cowboys offense finally starts to run on all cylinders.

9. jwayne03 says: Oct 1, 2012 1:00 PM

@Goods65

Your best option would be for Forte to not play so Bush gets the full workload.

10. 61bigdaddy61 says: Oct 1, 2012 1:05 PM

It’s put up or shut up time for the Bears. Anything but a win just won’t do. It’s a long season but the Bears must show me more than what I’ve seen on the offensive side of the ball so far.

11. dallascowboysdishingthereal says: Oct 1, 2012 1:29 PM

Game time decision = will play.

12. ihaterogergoodell says: Oct 1, 2012 2:02 PM

I love my Bears, but someone talk me off the ledge… I see no way the Beloved get a W. What’s the over/under on sacks and picks?

13. gmsingh says: Oct 1, 2012 2:17 PM

I’m assuming the smart thing to do is to let Bush get most of the workload and work Forte in on some plays to give the offense a different look. Even if he only catches a few passes out of the backfield that could make a big difference.