Colts coach Chuck Pagano diagnosed with leukemia

Chuck Pagano AP

Colts coach Chuck Pagano is dealing with a serious illness that will cause him to miss several games.

The Indianapolis Star reports that Pagano had been feeling fatigued and got blood tests during the bye week, when the illness was diagnosed. The Colts have planned a press conference for this morning at which they will give more details on his medical condition.

Colts offensive coordinator Bruce Arians will take over as interim head coach while Pagano is out.

Pagano, who will turn 52 on Tuesday, is in his first year as the Colts’ head coach. A Colts official told the Indianapolis Star that while Pagano’s health issue is a concern, the team is optimistic that he will recover.

Permalink 38 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Indianapolis Colts, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
38 Responses to “Colts coach Chuck Pagano diagnosed with leukemia”
  1. madczyk says: Oct 1, 2012 9:05 AM

I pray it’s not too serious and that he gets well soon!

2. niners816 says: Oct 1, 2012 9:07 AM

Doesn’t matter what team you root for, I think everyone wants this to turn out well. Get well soon, Mr. Pagano.

3. ecupatsfan12 says: Oct 1, 2012 9:08 AM

Hope its nothing too serious and hes back on the sidelines soon. Get well Chuck!
    -Pats fan

4. tlmoon2112 says: Oct 1, 2012 9:14 AM

Lost my son to cancer. Praying now, good Lord.

5. descendency says: Oct 1, 2012 9:16 AM

“UPDATE 9:09 a.m. ET: ESPN’s Chris Mortensen reports that Pagano has been diagnosed with leukemia. Doctors have told him he will be hospitalized for six weeks but that he will make a full recovery and return to coaching.”

Good to hear. That’s crazy bad news for anyone. I wish him the best.

6. southpaw2k says: Oct 1, 2012 9:17 AM

Holy smokes. That’s gotta be super scary, but also great news that it’s treatable and he is expected to make a full recovery. I love Pagano from his days with the Ravens, and I will be sure to pray for his health.

7. muskyhunter2542 says: Oct 1, 2012 9:23 AM

Thats very sad to hear that ANYONE has cancer. Get well soon!!!

-Packers fan

8. jcjaguar says: Oct 1, 2012 9:24 AM

Hopes for successful treatment…Prayers for Pagano and family.

9. couldntthinkofaname says: Oct 1, 2012 9:27 AM

My wife just completed six months of chemo for leukemia. She’s beatingit and you too can, Chuck! Good luck!

10. knew8411 says: Oct 1, 2012 9:30 AM

As much as I (& most of those here) love football & all sports, there are certain things that circumvent the sport(s) & the rivalries we have.
    This is one of those things…..I pray that the Good Lord will provide comfort & strength to this man and those around him, that he may get through this, and defeat this horrid disease. GOD BLESS

11. humbleminded85 says: Oct 1, 2012 9:30 AM

Hope the best for ya coach Pagano. @tlmoon Sorry to hear that bud, hope life is good for ya.

12. lombardisshineinfoxborough says: Oct 1, 2012 9:31 AM

Great news in the update in that he’s expected to make a full recovery. All the best to Coach Pagano and hope to see him back on the field soon.

13. patriotsdefense says: Oct 1, 2012 9:33 AM

Here’s hoping he makes a full recovery. Godspeed Chuck.

Quick Question: Will the NFL still wear pink for women’s cancer awareness month in October? The tradition has grown on many football fans.

14. Kreedos says: Oct 1, 2012 9:34 AM

Prayers out to you and your family Coach!!!

15. dirtybird28 says: Oct 1, 2012 9:36 AM

Get well soon Pagano

16. theenutty says: Oct 1, 2012 9:50 AM

A fan from Steelers Country wishing a speedy recovery for Coach Pagano.

17. cliffleesbeard says: Oct 1, 2012 9:53 AM

This is where football takes a back seat. I hope you get the proper treatment, Chuck. I’m an Eagles fan, but this weekend I’ll cheer your product on! Prayers are with you, my fellow man.

18. nonetruerthanblue says: Oct 1, 2012 9:54 AM

Get well!

19. flaccounibrow says: Oct 1, 2012 9:55 AM

The guy is a good coach. I hope he recovers uneventfully. I wish him and his family the best.

20. wildbillesq says: Oct 1, 2012 10:02 AM

Get well soon, Coach!!!

21. dman6015 says: Oct 1, 2012 10:06 AM

Speedy recovery, Coach.

22. nortonfest says: Oct 1, 2012 10:08 AM

Such sad news to start with on a Monday.

We just participated the Light The Night walk for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society here Friday night. They do fantastic work and make it possible to beat these types of cancers. I encourage everyone to donate whenever possible to continue research, because cancer rates are growing at an alarming rate.

Prayers to you coach!

23. knackstermyea says: Oct 1, 2012 10:09 AM

tlmoon2112 says:Oct 1, 2012 9:14 AM

Lost my son to cancer. Praying now, good Lord.

__________________________________

Why on earth would anybody give this statement a thumbs down? What the H!#@ is wrong with people?!

24. ravensgrl says: Oct 1, 2012 10:14 AM

Wow… so sorry to hear this. Best wishes, coach!

25. everyfootballfan says: Oct 1, 2012 10:16 AM

First and formost I pray for Coach and his family, stay positive and have faith. To all the people who have thumbs downs, I pray that karma doesn’t come back to bite you or a member in your family, may God heal your minds. Not sure what kind of person want to see others suffer and be okay with, so sad.

26. mrgroovesd says: Oct 1, 2012 10:19 AM

Cancer sucks. Get well soon and you can beat it!

27. nolahxc says: Oct 1, 2012 10:23 AM

News like this makes you realize what’s really important.

I have a friend who’s mom was able to beat this. Best of luck to you coach Chuck!

28. mrlaloosh says: Oct 1, 2012 10:27 AM

God speed.

29. billsfaninmiami says: Oct 1, 2012 10:45 AM

Best to you Coach!

Wishing you lots of Luck!

30. eekster33 says: Oct 1, 2012 10:48 AM

Lost my brother to leukemia almost 30 years ago. They have done well in figuring out treatments for this type of cancer now. I pray for a full recovery for you.

31. ialwayswantedtobeabanker says: Oct 1, 2012 10:52 AM

Wow — this is absolutely awful news.

As a Steeler fan, it was easy to see how impressive Coach Pagano was in regularly running out a supremely tough, hard-nosed defense.

Major prayers to Coach Pagano. I hope he kicks Leukemia’s ass like he’s kicked some serious NFL tail for years.

32. peytonsneck18 says: Oct 1, 2012 10:59 AM

Why are people giving thumbs down for??? Thats very low life thing to do!!!

33. Spencer says: Oct 1, 2012 11:11 AM

Best wishes for a full recovery.

34. Kelly's Chronicles says: Oct 1, 2012 11:29 AM

The worst thing about cancer and similar diseases isn’t treatment or side effects. Its the struggle to keep it from controlling your life, to not let it become who you are, being a burden to others, and causing people who love you to stress. And of course having to ask for and accept help. Such folks, for some reason, didn’t get the memo that this was ok….
    Yes I am a survivor. And you will be too coach….

35. lindee3479 says: Oct 1, 2012 12:00 PM

God bless you, Coach and your family. We’re all praying for you and hope that you make a speedy recovery. I hear you are a fighter. I hope you win this round quickly and can come back to us before the season is over.

36. bluvayner says: Oct 1, 2012 1:16 PM

I am currently fighting the same thing. He can beat this, and return to coaching, but its going to take more than 6 weeks. There are different treatments for different forms of the disease, but 6 weeks would only constitute the initial round of treatments. He has a long row to hoe, and I wish him the best!

37. clssylssy says: Oct 1, 2012 1:43 PM

As a Cardinals fan, my heart and prayers go out to Coach Pagano and family, and hope he has a form of leukemia that responds to treatment. Even with the best prognosis, it is going to be a challenge and is always serious. As fans we may support different teams and have our rivalries but are all a part of a “football family”who never want to see anything horrible befall anyone. Good luck in the weeks to come.

38. samoanjungle says: Oct 1, 2012 2:01 PM

Get well coach and condolences to those who have lost loved ones to cancer.