Woody Johnson chooses Romney win over winning season from Jets

woody-1 Getty Images

The circus continues.

Jets owner Woody Johnson, in a Monday appearance on Bloomberg Television’s Market Makers, addressed whether he prefers a win by Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney or a winning season from Johnson’s Jets.

“Well I think you always have to put country first, so I think it’s very, very important that not only for us but for particularly our kids and grandkids that this election comes off with Mitt Romney and [Paul] Ryan as president and vice-president,” Romney said.

It’s a fair response, but it won’t do much to placate the many Jets fans who:  (1) don’t own the team; and (2) would put nothing other than the healthy and safety of themselves and their immediate family members above the Jets winning.

So, basically, it’s yet another thing for Jets fans to discuss.  And since it’s not really related to the sorry state of the team, it should be regarded as a welcome distraction.

Permalink 97 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New York Jets, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
97 Responses to “Woody Johnson chooses Romney win over winning season from Jets”
  1. toallpitzberghaters says: Oct 1, 2012 2:36 PM

Hahaha him and irsay should have a “shut the hell up contest”

2. nyyjetsknicks says: Oct 1, 2012 2:36 PM

Romney isn’t winning and neither are the Jets.

3. fwippel says: Oct 1, 2012 2:38 PM

Smart man. Hey, I too would take a Romney victory over the Jets having a winning season.

Hell, I’d take a Romney victory if it meant the Jets would run the table and win the Super Bowl.

4. justwinbaby29 says: Oct 1, 2012 2:38 PM

I agree with Woody. I rather Romney win then for the Jets to having a winning record. Of course, I’m a Raiders fan!

5. nygiantstones says: Oct 1, 2012 2:38 PM

Wow, what a disgrace of an owner. I feel bad for the Jets fans, I really do. Your owner cares more about money and politics than he does about your team winning a Superbowl. Wow. I would seriously consider boycotting my team if I ever heard anything like that from the owners. Without a single-minded obsession to win, which starts from the top of the organization, I don’t see how a team can win a Superbowl.

6. Davo says: Oct 1, 2012 2:39 PM

You know what, if things don’t turn around drastically for both Romney and the Jets in October, Mr. Johnson will be oh-fer by the end of the year.

7. henryd3rd says: Oct 1, 2012 2:42 PM

My mother always said, “it better to be remain silent and be thought a fool then to open one’s mouth and remove all doubt”.

8. Kyle Orton's Hangover says: Oct 1, 2012 2:42 PM

Never in my life thought I would say this, but it’s good to see that a billionaire is concerned about how the country is ran rather than the interests of his billion dollar business. No matter what your political affiliation is that’s commendable in my book even though everyone in office are crooks.

9. tlmoon2112 says: Oct 1, 2012 2:42 PM

He has a point, if Romney doesnt win there wont be an America left to play football in to begin with.

10. VikesPrincess (Lisa) says: Oct 1, 2012 2:42 PM

Well, Woody will have to wait for the the GOP to have its shot at turning our country into a corporation. No way Romney is winning in November and I cannot imagine the Jets having a winning season after yesterday’s performance.

11. gergie1957 says: Oct 1, 2012 2:44 PM

I wonder if his net worth has increased in the past four years? Anyway, Good luck to him and his Grandkids on the Money thing, I’m sure if Pres. Obama wins they will all be in the poor house.

And as for his Jets, Good luck on that too.

12. mrcosio says: Oct 1, 2012 2:44 PM

A billionaire that supports Mitt Romney, what a plot twist!

13. jr4real says: Oct 1, 2012 2:45 PM

are you sure about #(2)?

14. rickastleydancemoves says: Oct 1, 2012 2:47 PM

At least the people who support the team, buy tickets and merchandise know what his priorities are.

15. percell1 says: Oct 1, 2012 2:48 PM

Glad im a Giants fan

16. coolgato13 says: Oct 1, 2012 2:48 PM

The Jets are a train wreck, starting at the top with the owner.

17. kane337 says: Oct 1, 2012 2:48 PM

Clint Eastwood hit the nail on the head.

18. eaglesfan94 says: Oct 1, 2012 2:48 PM

If I were as rich as an NFL owner, I’m sure I’d like a Romney/Ryan victory as well.

19. southpaw2k says: Oct 1, 2012 2:49 PM

I’m inclined to agree with him on his politics, but why drag politics into a football discussion? One has nothing to do with the other, and it’s a shameless plug.

20. wmthomas3 says: Oct 1, 2012 2:49 PM

I like the Jets more now. Go Romney!!

21. irishfan109 says: Oct 1, 2012 2:50 PM

lol.

Does anything else need to be said?

22. hamiltos777 says: Oct 1, 2012 2:50 PM

I too would rather see Romney win than the Jets. But then, I’m a Republican Pats fan.

23. blutri10 says: Oct 1, 2012 2:50 PM

I give the guy credit, at least he knows the danger of what a second Obama term would do to this country.

24. sean21taylorrip says: Oct 1, 2012 2:50 PM

woody johnson: my new favorite owner

25. fground says: Oct 1, 2012 2:53 PM

now I get why the Jets signed Tebow – a Republican’s dream

26. newyorkjetsfan2812 says: Oct 1, 2012 2:53 PM

I am embarssed/disgusted to be a jets fan right its a god dam shame what trader mikeand wiody johnson have put toghtwr as a team and I csnt belive that actually rather see tim tebow than sanchEz hell tebow or sanchez cant do it(most likely they both will fail) give greg McElroy a shot but yu know whay the jeys will end up trading him and have nick folk olay alittle qb

27. pottymouth777 says: Oct 1, 2012 2:54 PM

Unfortunately, both are unlikely.

28. bgoochy says: Oct 1, 2012 2:54 PM

It seems to me that neither of those things are going to happen (Jets winning season nor Romney election victory).

29. finfinatic says: Oct 1, 2012 2:54 PM

“Then there’s the fact that half (or at least 47 percent) of Jets fans support Romney’s competitor.”

What is your basis of fact? Did you poll all Jets fans or are you trying to influence people by referring to an old Romney speech?

30. fground says: Oct 1, 2012 2:54 PM

If the Republicans lose Johnson can just hire Paul Ryan as his GM – then he will just tell everyone they won the last 4 Super Bowls and hope no one checks up on him.

31. Great Caesar's Ghost says: Oct 1, 2012 2:55 PM

Even Romney could tell you that Sanchez isn’t the answer.

32. itooamamerica says: Oct 1, 2012 2:56 PM

Obama fan and Jet fan. I would hope he cares more about the direction of the country more than the Jets, regardless of his beliefs.

33. stealersfannot says: Oct 1, 2012 2:57 PM

Wow. Woody you’re setting yourself up for quite a disappointing year there buddy.

34. bathroomben7 says: Oct 1, 2012 2:57 PM

I suddenly don’t hate the Jets so much anymore…

35. geniusfan says: Oct 1, 2012 2:58 PM

I think the Jets need to do exactly what the Colts did last year and suck for Smith.

This team is a wreck, they have pathetic offensive talent and their team depth is even worse. Even if the Jets had Revis their defense still can’t generate a pass rush and that’s a recipe for disaster in this league. Without Revis they are cooked. The Jets need to rebuild and restart this team, the Jets had their chance at getting the job done in 2009 and 2010 and failed.

I’d be surprised if they get seven wins this year. If they were willing to trade up for that bust and future bench warmer Mark Sanchez then they are most likely more than willing to give up the farm for Geno Smith.

36. Stiller43 says: Oct 1, 2012 3:02 PM

Guess what…32 football owners prefer one candidate over the other…oh no! Gasp!

37. patriotsdefense says: Oct 1, 2012 3:04 PM

JJ doesn’t care about winning football games because then he wouldn’t have turned the Jets into a circus. He turned them into a circus to compete with the real football team in their city and to try to make money.

And making money is all JJ really cares about. That’s why he is placing Romney over the Jets.

38. stlouis1baseball says: Oct 1, 2012 3:04 PM

I now have something in common with Woody Johnson. Who woulda’ thunk it?

39. harrisonhits2 says: Oct 1, 2012 3:07 PM

Of course he wants to see Wall Street deregulated again so he and the rest of the 1% can steal what little remains of America’s wealth.

40. ee00ee says: Oct 1, 2012 3:07 PM

fground says:
    Oct 1, 2012 2:54 PM
    ____________________

DING DING DING DING
    You win the thread!

41. ee00ee says: Oct 1, 2012 3:09 PM

Romney’s a big fan of football, some of his friends own football teams.

42. bigredscouting says: Oct 1, 2012 3:11 PM

Of course he does, he doesn’t want higher taxes for himself. This is the new America. ‘Keep your weak, tired and poor, don’t help anyone but yourself. Welcome!’

43. trevor123698 says: Oct 1, 2012 3:12 PM

That is the biggest joke I’ve ever heard. How do people not understand that “A two party system is a one party system”

If you dont believe me here is John Adams on the subject and you can find many other founding fathers who echoed this sentiment.

“There is nothing which I dread so much as a division of the republic into two great parties, each arranged under its leader, and concerting measures in opposition to each other. This, in my humble apprehension, is to be dreaded as the greatest political evil under our Constitution.” -John Adams

its a really sad world we live in today.

44. cantonbound13 says: Oct 1, 2012 3:16 PM

Both are long shots.

45. madpunter88 says: Oct 1, 2012 3:20 PM

Are the Jets really still harboring delusions about the Super Bowl?

I am fairly political, live in the DC area, work for the government, etc. But NEVER would I trade a Super Bowl for a politician. There is so little true differential consequence to which politician wins…is the country really going to be any different the next day if Obama wins reelection? And I am just a fan…I cannot imagine choosing a politician over the team I own winning a championship.

He owns the team. If they won the Super Bowl is personal worth and prestige would only go up. I think his fears, presumably about taxes, are misplaced.

46. jayesix says: Oct 1, 2012 3:21 PM

Smart man. Romney has a better shot at winning than his J-E-T-S! That being said they both look to be in serious trouble. But at least the Jets have Tebow. Romney’s only got Hannity. Yikes!

47. nyyjetsknicks says: Oct 1, 2012 3:22 PM

finfinatic says:
    Oct 1, 2012 2:54 PM

______________________

NY and NJ electoral votes will be going to Obama. It’s probably more than 47%.

48. Max says: Oct 1, 2012 3:25 PM

He is in for a really really bad year.

49. nflsucker says: Oct 1, 2012 3:27 PM

Live your dream, Woddy, by making your players pay for their own health care.

50. cosanostra71 says: Oct 1, 2012 3:36 PM

good luck to both

51. turfrage says: Oct 1, 2012 3:42 PM

President MUCH more important than football. Go Romney!

52. therealzeitgeist says: Oct 1, 2012 3:44 PM

Maybe the question shouldn’t be about Sanchez getting replaced by Tebow, but Romney getting replaced by Tebow in his contest.

Odds for improvement in either program are the same I’d guess making that change.

53. greymares says: Oct 1, 2012 3:45 PM

up until about an hour ago the Jets were the 1 N.Y. franchise i didn’t care if they won or lost. now i hope they lose too.

54. szwhtsup123 says: Oct 1, 2012 3:53 PM

Wow I have a new found respect for the Jets organization. While I don’t care for mixing politics and sports, it’s always nice to hear that someone besides a recent Stanley Cup MVP gets this current administration. Successful people aren’t what’s wrong with this country, it’s the other way around. Go America!

55. fground says: Oct 1, 2012 4:08 PM

Perhaps Woody should do the Bain Capital thing – gut the team and outsource the QB position to some Volleyball player in India

56. cup1981 says: Oct 1, 2012 4:10 PM

Well, they both have an equal chance of winning this year… Somewhere between slim and none, I would say…

57. whyamiacowboysfanagain says: Oct 1, 2012 4:13 PM

toallpitzberghaters says:
    Oct 1, 2012 2:36 PM
    Hahaha him and irsay should have a “shut the hell up contest”
    *******************************************

please don’t forget Jerry Jones……

58. billsfan66 says: Oct 1, 2012 4:26 PM

Just another rich guy who wants to get richer. Sorry Woody, but I prefer the candidate who is a friend of the middle class, not the guy who is for the rich.

The Jets are gonna be fighting it out with the Bills for the AFC East basement.

59. trollaikman8 says: Oct 1, 2012 4:28 PM

If ever a team needed to be gutted by Bain capital.

60. worldchampsbaby says: Oct 1, 2012 4:34 PM

Woody,
    Thank God ,I’m a Giant fan.I suppose you think you’re taking a more altruistic stance,but the Jets have had no chance to win anything,so your statement rings very shallow.

61. raider8er says: Oct 1, 2012 4:43 PM

Well, the Jets are looking more and more like the Romney campaign.

Fortunately, the Jets have time to turn things around.

Romney – not so much.

62. wizahdry says: Oct 1, 2012 4:55 PM

Si I guess Woody and the Jets must be part of the other 53%

63. 2ndaryinsanity says: Oct 1, 2012 5:02 PM

Breaking News! A billionare wants the rich guy to win so he can make more money and pay fewer taxes!

64. wmthomas3 says: Oct 1, 2012 5:04 PM

I wonder how many people are reading this on their Obamaphone?

65. gingerkidboston2012 says: Oct 1, 2012 5:06 PM

This is exactly what is wrong with the Jets. From the owner on down there is a “me 1st and to hell with everyone else” mentality. That’s why they stink.

66. thejuddstir says: Oct 1, 2012 5:09 PM

I say let Bain Capital take over the Jets and Rex, Sanchez, Holmes etc. will be sent where they belong………………………India.

67. CKL says: Oct 1, 2012 5:10 PM

mrcosio says:
    Oct 1, 2012 2:44 PM
    A billionaire that supports Mitt Romney, what a plot twist!
    _________________________________
    Both sides court the wealthy, don’t kid yourself. Problem is both sides are too beholden to their donors and their wants instead of the American people and what’s best for the country.

68. Max says: Oct 1, 2012 5:12 PM

Are the Jets trying to become the most hated franchise in NY?

Man would it not be funny if Bart Scott were to say something Pro-Obama in his next interview. lol

69. sean6886 says: Oct 1, 2012 5:28 PM

Can we please just keep it about football. This is where I come to escape politics.

Also, please correct your quote. I’m pretty sure it’s supposed to be a quote from Woody, not Romney.

70. iowahbr says: Oct 1, 2012 5:28 PM

I hope Mr. Johnson got points with that Romney pick as Mitt spend so much time with his foot in his mouth he ought to order his next pair of shoes with a mouth guard pre-installed. Tebow would have a better chance to beat Obama right now.

71. patsfiend says: Oct 1, 2012 5:32 PM

Losing on both counts, there Wood-man.

72. Dan Ewen says: Oct 1, 2012 5:38 PM

Revenue sharing. Labor having the right to negotiate. Worst teams picking first. Salary caps. Wait a minute… It seems the entire NFL was set up by that socialist Obama. Quick, everyone back to baseball!

73. richndc says: Oct 1, 2012 5:47 PM

Whoa! Tebow will not like this! Bain capital made a fortune on a company who’s main business was disposing of….wait for it…..medical waste, specifically, aborted fetuses. I do hope someone in the NY media will bring this up to Tebow. Yes, look it up, it’s a fact. The anti-abortion president put big $$$ in his pocket by disposing of aborted fetuses, they actually pioneered a new way of ‘sterilizing’ the waste by irradiating it. Go Woody, you are such a boob and perfect owner for this fiasco of a football team!!

74. 1greatusername says: Oct 1, 2012 5:49 PM

wmthomas3 says:
    Oct 1, 2012 5:04 PM
    I wonder how many people are reading this on their Obamaphone?

Hilarious! That video decided my vote… I’m no politico, but I figure the less I have in common with that woman, the better.

75. 25bets says: Oct 1, 2012 5:56 PM

I guess Woody doesn’t like 8%+ unemployment and another 6 trillion in debt

76. dlk47823 says: Oct 1, 2012 6:00 PM

For the Giants fans not paying attention, your record is the same as the Jets, except the Jets are 2-0 in the division, Giants 0-2.

77. rhopperstad says: Oct 1, 2012 6:09 PM

God Bless him for saying something that is from his heart and an absolute fact . football is a game for cripes sake , our country is on the brink of a socialist transformation and most people don’t have a damn clue.

78. contrasuxbalz says: Oct 1, 2012 6:16 PM

Wish all you want Woody. Neither are going to happen any time soon.

79. vincentbojackson says: Oct 1, 2012 6:23 PM

Difficult to choose who is less inspiring, Romney or the Jets.

80. jc327 says: Oct 1, 2012 6:24 PM

Damn Woody, it’s gonna be a TOUGH year.

81. Pacific NW Mark says: Oct 1, 2012 6:31 PM

Sorry Woody but both Mittens and a Jets winning season look like real long shots now.

82. wvuandsteelers says: Oct 1, 2012 6:41 PM

By my name you know who my teams are. Both could have losing seasons for the next 8 years if Romney/Ryan would win. I would even endure Pitt winning the National Championship and the Cowboys the Super Bowl as well.

83. bengalskuta82 says: Oct 1, 2012 6:47 PM

Country First..Love it..Totally understand what hes saying..If this country goes down,; theres no way this game,Our game doesnt survive..Last time I checked, before we even start the game, we sing the National Athem..Yes, Country first!

84. kev86 says: Oct 1, 2012 6:53 PM

Double down and go Tebow for President

85. azredbird4 says: Oct 1, 2012 6:54 PM

Mittens…How cute from the 5 year old. from the ultra lib Seattle area…C-Chicks only win when replacements ref give the Hacks ghames..And you have to be a stone cold fool or an adoring suck-up to consider voting this low-level, community agitator, racist back in the White House

86. audient says: Oct 1, 2012 6:58 PM

First Tebow.
    Now Romney.

Woody, you sure know how to pick winners.

87. azredbird4 says: Oct 1, 2012 7:04 PM

we all know who lil’ flo oodles over with that 47% crack….oh wait he is part of the msnbc-lsd family….explains everything.

88. bluebongzilla says: Oct 1, 2012 7:10 PM

“Wow, what a disgrace of an owner. I feel bad for the Jets fans, I really do. Your owner cares more about money and politics than he does about your team winning a Superbowl.”

Yeah, what a fool for putting this sorry backwards country first.

89. cmdrsmooth says: Oct 1, 2012 7:51 PM

Nothing to discuss. This is absolutely dumb.

90. sdsockers says: Oct 1, 2012 8:20 PM

Woody’s mistake isn’t putting the country first. His mistake is reverting backwards to the Bush years (8 years, remember?) that put this country into the tailspin we’re in now. Everyone knew it’d take more than four years to recover from that disaster; look at the stock market, we’re on the way.
    Looking forward to four more years, and hopefully eight more after that.

91. bluebongzilla says: Oct 1, 2012 8:28 PM

“Everyone knew it’d take more than four years to recover from that disaster”

Obama said if he couldn’t get it turned around in one term, he would be kicked out of office. Apparently he underestimated the stupidity of half the country.

92. fdugrad says: Oct 1, 2012 9:21 PM

Yet one more reason to hate ANYTHING Jets. What do you know a REALLY rich football team owner wants all the perks a REALLY rich president would shower down upon him. Meanwhile telling the middle class to, in Woody’s case pay FULL PRICE for rotten pre-season games and in Mitt, ” I was born on third base, but tell everyone I hit a triple” Romney’s case telling the middle class to pay MORE in taxes than he does because he stashes his money in SWISS BANKS!! I really feel for Woody’s kids and grandkids. Man are they ever going to have a rugged life!!

93. johnny1979 says: Oct 1, 2012 10:00 PM

I am life long Jets fan and a life long Democrat, and this disgusts me. Woody Johnson is smart though, he supports a candidate who cares only about the rich. Woody is rich, Romney is rich, and all they care about is money and there rich buddies. We need to tax the people in this country that can actually afford to pay it, not the middle class and the poor. Knowing that the owner of the NFL team I love is a right wing nut, it hurts a little less when they struggle. Woody, please sell the team, you’re a d-bag…

94. jfinn5 says: Oct 1, 2012 11:18 PM

Jets and Romney both stink.

95. ishudbgm says: Oct 2, 2012 4:18 AM

Id watch the Jets run the table, win 56-0 in the SuperBowl, and Sanchez get both season and SB MVP if it meant I never heard from Johnson, Romney, or Ryan again!!!!!! Woody Johnson should put Romney/Ryan patches on their practice jerseys, that would show his support for Williard!

96. coverman29 says: Oct 5, 2012 12:14 AM

If you look back to the emergence of Tebow as a winning QB, and how teams appeared to just stop playing defense for him, you now understand that some team owners have the same view, and have aided in pushing the envelope, for this young man to be a success and future political figure, pulling the support of the evangellical right and the 1% who like to have puppets to control. Woody, is a mad scientist, bent on creating a candidate (Tebow) that can write a check for him and his friends, to have unlimited access to whatever wealth crosses our borders, and then trickle it down to the hungry fan in the form of sports entertainment. Jets and Giant fans have invested in a moneymaking stadium for both owners, and now will suffer through a terrible return for their investment…ask the Cowboys!

97. discosucs2005 says: Oct 5, 2012 8:37 PM

That’ll win over the NY/NJ fan base…

Of course after the new jobs report and the 49er game it looks like he wont be getting either.