Ex-Bear Tommie Harris arrested in Chicago

Tommie+Harris+Detroit+Lions+v+Chicago+Bears+3zRHMw9MmWel Getty Images

Former Bears defensive tackle Tommie Harris has had a rough year, and he has now been arrested in an incident in Chicago that sounds troubling.

Harris, whose wife died in February at the age of 29, leaving him with two young children, was arrested in Chicago late Monday night and accused of threatening police officers who came upon him urinating outside a bar.

Harris was charged with misdemeanor counts of indecent exposure, urinating in public and simple assault.

A 2004 first-round draft pick of the Bears, Harris was selected to three Pro Bowls but began to decline after suffering knee and hamstring injuries. He was released by the Bears after the 2010 season and played for the Chargers in 2011.

Permalink 19 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Chicago Bears, Home, Rumor Mill
19 Responses to “Ex-Bear Tommie Harris arrested in Chicago”
  1. purpleguy says: Oct 2, 2012 11:57 AM

Probably 75% of the male population has urinated outside a bar, but what’s troubling is that he was drunk and doing so on a Monday night when there were two little motherless kids at home.

2. mazblast says: Oct 2, 2012 11:59 AM

This will make your kids proud.

3. dryheaveone says: Oct 2, 2012 12:03 PM

weak…it should not be a crime to take a leak outside a bar …I love to pee outside, don’t have to bother with that annoying “aiming” stuff

4. spellingcopfather says: Oct 2, 2012 12:03 PM

Hopefully he had a good babysitter, that night for the kids!!!

5. lambeauleaper says: Oct 2, 2012 12:07 PM

Well, if anyone came upon me, I’d threaten them too. Just sayin’.

6. i, flounder says: Oct 2, 2012 12:12 PM

for all the gun violence in chicago that’s what the police are worried about. a man peeing outside a bar.

7. Richard says: Oct 2, 2012 12:23 PM

This is troubling? He didn’t endanger anyone and it is highly doubtful he left his kids at home by themselves. While I would not have done what Harris did, those cops saw a large man peeing, probably recognized Harris and got some ink. They should have stuck his butt in a cab, let him sleep it off. Too bad there isn’t any real violence on the streets of Chicago worth spending time on.

8. theuglitruth says: Oct 2, 2012 12:30 PM

I won’t jump to conclusions about the kids, I’m sure there is a sitter. Big deal about the peeing outside the bar…really, there isn’t a rapist, drunk driver, or other real crime being committed that these flat foots can pursue?

9. 11inthebox says: Oct 2, 2012 12:36 PM

@purpleguy who says: but what’s troubling is that he was drunk and doing so on a Monday night when there were two little motherless kids at home.
    ——————————–
    I know plenty of couples and single parents who leave their children with baby sitters.
    Why is this different? Oh yeah, he was a football player.

10. pooflingingmonkey says: Oct 2, 2012 12:39 PM

What a sad story. Losing his wife has probably had a hand in his problem. I can’t imagine how awful that would be.

11. maximusprime107 says: Oct 2, 2012 12:52 PM

@purpleguy

Yeah, because once you have kids you’re never allowed to go out and do anything anymore ever again

12. pickney1 says: Oct 2, 2012 12:54 PM

Condolences on the lost of his wife.

Is that today’s law enforcement is focused on, come on write the man a ticket and keep moving.

13. joneil66 says: Oct 2, 2012 12:56 PM

It’s a slippery slope to jump to any conclusions about the whereabouts of his children while this was going on. What I do know is that Tommie Harris is a man who lost his wife after a struggle with a terrible disease and also recently lost a once-promising career; circumstances sure to drive many of us to much worse actions than urinating outside a bar. Harris has been nothing but an upstanding citizen in his career and has spear-headed and taken part in many charitable activities in Chicago, Oklahoma and globally. I think he deserves a little slack for doing something many of us have probably done before.

14. gbmickey says: Oct 2, 2012 1:03 PM

I can understand why it is hard at times to have civil discourse in here with the mentality of some of the posters. A man urinating out in public and the responses are “don’t the police have better things to do?” Are you guys serious? Why not question the stupidity of a 29yr old father who cant find his way to a restroom? Not to mention when confronted just admitting error in judgement and it would probably been simple ticket, but instead the sense of entitlement comes through and he argues with the cops, sheer stupidity.

15. dabears2485 says: Oct 2, 2012 1:19 PM

The only worrisome thing here is the “threat” against the cops. I went to a party with a coworker where he got wasted and said the words “I’ll kick your ass man” when I pulled him away from a girl he was drunkenly hitting on (she was uncomfortable). Did I feel threatened? No. Drunk people say stupid things. Unless he hit the cops, they’re just words.

Let’s not jump on the guy for the kids being at home, either. He’s a young-ish guy out watching football on a Monday night. Big deal. He just should’ve been more responsible with his actions so he could get home.

16. Richard says: Oct 2, 2012 1:36 PM

@gbmickey I think most people gave him a pass because of his personal circumstances. I would agree with you except this is I’ve of those things where recognition got him in trouble for something done consistently. Unless he was wagging his junk around the indecency won’t hold up. Neither will the threat unless he said he would “kill them. The only thing left is drink and disorderly and that’s a misdemeanor in most states. No record and this is pointless. He pays a fine, maybe service, or counseling. Any lawyer worth their salt makes this go away. My point is those cops know that, but its Tommie Harris. We stalwarts griping about athletes who do the wrong things, well here we have some cops making sure we know all about this.

17. kingcarlbanks says: Oct 2, 2012 4:25 PM

I can’t imagine losing my wife, give the dude a pass..

18. istateyourname says: Oct 2, 2012 10:39 PM

The best place I ever peed was on the George M Cohen statue somewhere in NYC on New Years. All those stupid stores around there said you couldn’t come in there and pee so you had to go outside.
    Didn’t get arrested.

19. fdugrad says: Oct 2, 2012 11:24 PM

Wizzing outside a bar seems rather trivial for an arrest and the exposure thing seems silly as well. I would guess it was what he said and did toward the officers that got him busted and charged with all the offenses. Obviously, he should have been finding a restroom, however, a trip downtown seems a bit much, unless he became threatening towards the police.