Aaron Rodgers lost vision, but sees a new future for himself

New Orleans Saints v Green Bay Packers Getty Images

Aaron Rodgers and Cosmo Kramer now have something in common.

Or is it, AAARRRRRGGGGHHHHon Rodgers?

The Packers quarterback isn’t ready to play for the Buccaneers, but he did have an idea about protecting the eye that got poked last week against the Saints.

“You know, I have always enjoyed dressing up like a pirate, wearing an eye patch, I think would be awesome and would add some legitimacy to my toughness,” Rodgers said during his weekly appearance with Jason Wilde on 540 ESPN radio. “It would have been sweet to go back in the game with an eye patch and lead us to victory.

“People aren’t wearing eye patches as often anymore. What is up with that?”

Rodgers was fortunate to be able to joke about it, and while he said he’d “never” wear a shield, he did have less than normal vision after Malcom Jenkins poked him in the eye with two fingers.

“I actually lost vision for a second there,” Rodgers said. “The thought going through my mind immediately after was, did they call the flag? And if so, should I just toss it in the end zone here knowing we have a free play. The intelligence kind of kicked in, though, and I decided to throw a higher percentage pass to Donald there right on the corner that was incomplete.

“Then at that point I was wondering if my eye was scratched badly.”

At that point, he came out of the game (allowing backup Graham Harrell the chance to turn the ball over at the Saints 1-yard line). The refs said Rodgers could have stayed in, but there was a reason he didn’t.

“I couldn’t see very well. Everything was just kind of bouncing around a little bit,” Rodgers said. “If I had just closed my right my left eye would have been looking really good, and if I would have just looked through my right eye I probably would have been okay as well as I was doing on the sideline. When you have both open; the right eye obviously had some trauma to it, and I was just having a hard time trying to be able to get that depth perception as the eyes were trying to balance each other out.

“I went down to one knee knowing that I would give Graham a little bit of time to warm up knowing we were inside the five there with probably an automatic first down. . . .

“It wasn’t until probably until about five real minutes later until I felt really good about getting back into the game. It just took a while after the drops went into my eyes to feel like I was ready to go back in there.”

We fully support Rodgers’ consideration of the patch, and encourage the Packers to add more hook routes to this week’s game plan.

Permalink 32 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Green Bay Packers, Home, Rumor Mill
32 Responses to “Aaron Rodgers lost vision, but sees a new future for himself”
  1. joetoronto says: Oct 3, 2012 9:26 AM

Oh my God, he lost vision for a second, what a hero!

Today’s players are nothing like yesterday’s.

2. sjcwisc says: Oct 3, 2012 9:29 AM

I do believe one of his favorite movies is “The Princess Bride” so the pirate and eye patch fascination is not that far-fetched.

Inconceivable you say?

He might make a great “Dread Pirate Rogers” at the end of the day!

3. workerandparasite says: Oct 3, 2012 9:32 AM

Raise the Jolly Rodgers!

4. illadelphiasphinest says: Oct 3, 2012 9:32 AM

This guy is quickly becoming the biggest complainer in the league.

5. christopher525 says: Oct 3, 2012 9:34 AM

Wear a shield, and a JPP facemask. No fingers to the eye, or ability to facemask you to the ground.

6. noeffinway says: Oct 3, 2012 9:46 AM

“The thought going through my mind immediately after was, did they call the flag?”…………….

Even as he is being injured on a play he is whining for a flag??? This guy(?) is a real tool. Looks like he learned more from Favre than just football.

7. chi01town says: Oct 3, 2012 10:00 AM

I was glad he got poked in the eye. takeout a packer anyway you can.
    Take Rodgers out an its OVER.

8. scoops1 says: Oct 3, 2012 10:02 AM

Will he wear a puffy shirt at the next press conference ??

9. hodag54501 says: Oct 3, 2012 10:04 AM

Odd, but I thought A-Rod played the rest of the game after Harrell caused a 14 point turnaround.
    Even in the old days, getting poked in the eye(which happened a lot because the facemasks were porous) caused many players to leave for a play or two. I’ve been watching football since 1961.
    When you start talking about how tough the old days were, keep in mind they had a 12, and later 14 game schedule and the playoffs were only a couple of games. The winner of the Super Bowl plays either a 19 or 20 game schedule.

Why doesn’t Jerry Jones were an eyepatch? He’s been pirating from the Dallas fans for many years, only they willingly give up their bounty to watch a mediocre team in the Jerry Dome.

10. rexranius says: Oct 3, 2012 10:06 AM

Got to admit, even though I despise the Packers, the dude is pretty funny in a Peyton Manning kind of way.

11. mp42245 says: Oct 3, 2012 10:12 AM

I am blind on my left eye. I don’t wear an eye patch. My eye looks like crap. If you don’t like the way it looks, look away.

12. bordner says: Oct 3, 2012 10:16 AM

illadelphiasphinest says:
    Oct 3, 2012 9:32 AM

This guy is quickly becoming the biggest complainer in the league.
    ————————————–
    I think there are more people on this site complaining about Aaron Rodgers’ alleged “complaining” than there are actual complaints from Aaron Rodgers.

13. kleppnasty says: Oct 3, 2012 10:19 AM

Not sure why there are so many angry commentors on this website. Simmer down folks. Rodgers is not complaining, whining, etc. In fact, he’s making light of the issue in a pretty funny way. So, rather than spewing complaints and hate messages towards Rodgers, why not make hilarious pirate and packer jokes and see which ones get posted?

14. thetokyosandblaster says: Oct 3, 2012 10:25 AM

chi01town says:
    Oct 3, 2012 10:00 AM
    I was glad he got poked in the eye. takeout a packer anyway you can.
    Take Rodgers out an its OVER.

So sad.

Remember the Packers/Bears game?

Quitler looked like he couldn’t see the entire game…

15. faultylogic29 says: Oct 3, 2012 10:27 AM

I like how Rogers is getting the Tom Brady treatment now. People seem to have a problem with everything he says and does, no matter how benign.

16. piemasteruk says: Oct 3, 2012 10:28 AM

I’m not sure the eye patch is such a great idea. When you look through only one eye you have very bad depth perception, which I imagine is not a great attribute for a QB :)

17. boiler72 says: Oct 3, 2012 10:30 AM

I was glad he got poked in the eye. takeout a packer anyway you can.
    Take Rodgers out an its OVER.

_____________________

No. What’s really OVER, is your ability and any hope, to be able spell words correctly. Trust me – you were nowhere near as glad then, as I was when the Packers beat the Bears in the NFC title game. Packers win bragging rights forever, it’s over, you’re done. Later, son.

18. uwsptke says: Oct 3, 2012 10:43 AM

noeffinway says:
    Oct 3, 2012 9:46 AM

================

He wasn’t “whining” for a flag. He was wondering if they had thrown the flag which would have given them the proverbial “free play” and he could just chuck it into the endzone without worrying about a turnover. And he knows firsthand that getting facemasked in front of the referee is no guarantee that a flag will be called. He was facemasked (severly) on the last play of the 2009 playoffs against the Cardinals in which he lost the ball and it was returned for a TD in overtime, but no flag was thrown.

19. joetoronto says: Oct 3, 2012 11:38 AM

hodag54501:

Of course players got poked in the eye back in the day. The point is, they didn’t talk about because it wasn’t a big deal.

20. dukemarc says: Oct 3, 2012 11:39 AM

Speaking of Jenkins, when do we get to see his fine total for that game?He should have racked up at least 3 – Cobb hit away from the ball, Facemaske/Eye Gouge on Rodgers and the Driver shot among his hit parade of dirty shots.

Makes me sick to my stomach that turd and Santonio Holmes were Buckeyes.

21. yaryers says: Oct 3, 2012 11:57 AM

I cringe when unfunny people attempt to be funny.

Really, the only funny part was when he said his “intelligence” kicked in.

22. barroomhero80 says: Oct 3, 2012 12:26 PM

That dude could have cybernetic limbs and still would not look tough. My kid looks tougher

23. barroomhero80 says: Oct 3, 2012 12:28 PM

Hilarious how all of Karens lil boyfriends come to defend him and get so angry. LMFAO

24. bangithard says: Oct 3, 2012 12:51 PM

Favre would have stayed in the game, pissed in the defensive players helmet, had a concussion and would have thrown a TD on the next play.

25. sicklnick121 says: Oct 3, 2012 12:55 PM

I am pretty sure he is using this chance to let everyone know he wants to be a Raider!!!

26. gpack17 says: Oct 3, 2012 4:10 PM

joetoronto says:
    Oct 3, 2012 11:38 AM
    hodag54501:

—————————————————

No. Back in the day there wasn’t 24 hours of TV, Radio, and Internet sports media to ask every player about everything that happens in every game. It wasn’t like he called a press conference to talk about his eye. Many posters on this sight act like every quote from a player is cut like a pro wrestling promo. It’s not like Rodgers, or any other player, is charging out to the middle of the field and demanding the mic so as to tell us how awesome they are.

27. footballrulz says: Oct 3, 2012 5:21 PM

barroomhero80….

Nice tag– bought the only place you’d ever be a hero and only then if you were buying the rounds

LMFAO

28. footballrulz says: Oct 3, 2012 5:23 PM

Oops, ’bout the only place….

29. jwzinski says: Oct 3, 2012 7:54 PM

It’s amazing to me how people still don’t realize he has his own hour on the radio. He gets asked a ton of questions and actually gives thoughtful answers. For those that don’t like Rodgers, please begin to understand that he’s not complaining but simply talking about what happened.

30. axespray says: Oct 3, 2012 8:02 PM

joetoronto says:
    Oct 3, 2012 9:26 AM
    “Oh my God, he lost vision for a second, what a hero!
    Today’s players are nothing like yesterday’s.”
    ———————–

oh look, a guy with a keyboard ripping on a football player’s toughness ….smh

31. truthserum4u says: Oct 4, 2012 4:21 AM

yaryers says:Oct 3, 2012 11:57 AM

I cringe when unfunny people attempt to be funny.

———————————

You just need to do the same as Rodgers did and turn a blind eye to it!

32. packmanfan says: Oct 7, 2012 4:11 AM

Aaron Rodgers and Cosmo Kramer now have something in common.
    ————————————————-

I don’t ever remember Aaron Rodgers going up on stage and shouting racist names at blacks.
    When did he do that?