Mike Tice on Cutler: “Jay and I are good”

Mike Tice AP

Bears offensive coordinator Mike Tice said he had no problems with quarterback Jay Cutler walking away from him during Monday’s win over the Cowboys.

The veteran assistant said he was “really angry,” at a failed third-and-short conversion, and had already told Cutler that.

“At a certain point,” Tice said via Kevin Seifert of ESPN.com, “probably enough was enough.”

“Jay and I are good,” Tice continued. “I really admired his play the other night. I really admire how he’s bought in. It’s an emotional game. Sometimes I’m sure we all wish we could handle some things differently. Not to say that he should have handled that differently, but it’s an emotional game. Jay and I are fine.

“I wish they would have got the clip at the end of the game where he smacked me on the rear end. They didn’t show that one. I wish they would have shown that one. And I smacked him back.”

Permalink 48 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Chicago Bears, Home, Rumor Mill
48 Responses to “Mike Tice on Cutler: “Jay and I are good””
  1. robrose68 says: Oct 3, 2012 3:57 PM

How do you know?

2. nickswearsky says: Oct 3, 2012 4:03 PM

Yeah, that MUST be it. We all know the press cannot be wrong. So, that MUST be it! (Keep repeating as necessary).

BTW: Here in Chicago, we think Jay is great!

3. prideisbears says: Oct 3, 2012 4:04 PM

Dont pull a muscle reaching for abother Anti Cutler story buddy

4. filthymcnasty1 says: Oct 3, 2012 4:11 PM

It’s only a matter of time until Cutler implodes. He’ll tease you once in a while with a good game, but he’s not franchise QB material.

5. wludford says: Oct 3, 2012 4:13 PM

Good at what? Getting in over their heads?

6. pdillon1 says: Oct 3, 2012 4:17 PM

The Bears are 8-1 in Cutler’s last 9 starts and something like 21-10 since 2010 with a NFCC appearance. That’s the real story here and if so many weren’t interested in the negative crap, more people would realize this.

These Cutler sideline stories really need to stop. Besides, I’m sure Tom Brady and Peyton Manning would probably feel the same way since they have had legendary confrontations on the sidelines. Cutler’s a jerk. We get it. So what?

7. bjo109 says: Oct 3, 2012 4:20 PM

Oh, and it’ll only be a matter of time? He’s 20-9 in his last 29 games with the Bears including 10-4 in his last 14. Go away. Watch a game and forget about a trade he demanded FOUR years ago.

8. culpfixtion says: Oct 3, 2012 4:21 PM

The guys posts a 140 QB rating and the only thing talked about by the media is a 2 second clip of him sitting down and then standing up. I guess reporting is harder than it seems.

9. bears4life says: Oct 3, 2012 4:24 PM

Get over it, we as fans overlook it because it’s a non issue. On the sideline he does nothing that Manning, Brady, Brees or any other QB doesnt do. The media just picks on him because he doesn’t pretend to like you. He sits quietly on the bench and you guys say he doesn’t care, he gets fired up and its a “tantrum”. Try and stick to football issues and get past your own egos. Bears fans dont want a “Media Darling” at QB, we want a guy who plays hard and wants to win.

10. DubZ480 says: Oct 3, 2012 4:25 PM

Dude Won the Game! Nuff Said. Let’s move on.

11. louiespoon says: Oct 3, 2012 4:25 PM

Why are outside reporters making this a big deal still?

12. cardiovascularendurance says: Oct 3, 2012 4:29 PM

I’d take Cutler over Vick any day of the week.

13. bordner says: Oct 3, 2012 4:31 PM

No. Not really. Neither one of you are that good.

14. sosuhme says: Oct 3, 2012 4:32 PM

Tice is just relieved Cutler didn’t fire him.

15. gmsingh says: Oct 3, 2012 4:35 PM

I’m not surprised at how the media has treated Cutler. Since they aren’t smart enough to comment accurately on what goes on in the field of play, they fall back on trying to turn the game into some sort of soap opera.

16. wafflestomp says: Oct 3, 2012 4:52 PM

Results are what matter most. I am so tired of this stupid over analysis of Cutler’s smirks and smiles. This sideline psycho-babble means nothing.

He’s not causing trouble in scrip clubs or hitting pedestrians while driving drunk. Cut the guy a little slack. He is a dangerous QB and has the success on the field to prove it.

As for this Packer fan, I fully understand that long after the vikes have limped off in November, this division will be decided between our 2 teams down the stretch. And if Chicago ends up on top, they will have a Jay Cutler (half hearted smirk and all) to thank for a great deal of it.

17. bearflagfan says: Oct 3, 2012 4:55 PM

Said it before, I’ll say it again: Jay Cutler is Ryan Leaf without the drug problem.

The guy has a 75 rating right now. Only 2 QBs since 2001 have made it to the Super Bowl with a sub-80 QBR – Rex Grossman in 2006 and Eli Manning in 2007. Both had 73.9. Anyone take Cutler this year over Grossman in 2006 or Eli in 2007?

18. nfloracle says: Oct 3, 2012 5:07 PM

I’d rather have a QB like Cutler with fire in his belly who lets teammates and coaches know just what’s in his mind (winning) than some cultural icon wannabe who sits on the bench with a towel on his head looking like his grandmother just died.

Cutler over Newton any day of the week.

19. bears4life says: Oct 3, 2012 5:17 PM

Ryan Leaf had a career rating of 50.0, almost beat up a reporter, is one of the biggest busts in NFL history, was arrested for robbery and he’s like Cutler how?

20. 4ever85 (aka Butch DeadLift) says: Oct 3, 2012 5:20 PM

Have reporters ever played football? Do they have male friends? (the answer is prob ‘no’ in both instances).

It amazes me that the Media is trying to make Football into some Disney Product.

It’s not. That’s why it’s so popular.

Are you not entertained!?

I hope Cutler wins it all, then moons everyone with a mic ala McMahon.

21. pappavike says: Oct 3, 2012 5:36 PM

Winning cures all!! But it will matter if Cutler and the Bears start losing!! You don’t have to see eye to eye but you do have to show respect!!

22. 2difshoe says: Oct 3, 2012 5:40 PM

Mike Tice says :

Wow ! The shower room scene must have been a barrel of laughs ! I wonder who picked up the soap first and also, maybe Jerry Sandusky was involved in the gayla affair .

I am a DIE HARD Bear fan, but I could easily do without Joy Cutler !

23. jpb12 says: Oct 3, 2012 5:45 PM

Chicago can have him.
    Character is revealed… under pressure.
    He’s a turd

24. 2ndaryinsanity says: Oct 3, 2012 5:53 PM

@bearfanflag…Jay Cutler = Ryan Leaf??? You must be on drugs to make that comparison (it’s either that or you are completely ignorant about football). The biggest difference between the two has a little something to do with this thing called “Win/Loss Record.” Another difference is that talent-wise, Leaf couldn’t carry Cutler’s jock-strap. Cutler’s stats would be a hell of a lot better if he had an offensive line that didn’t resemble swiss cheese, and if the Bears had gotten him a true #1 wide receiver before Brandon Marshall.
    The only similarity between Cutler and Leaf is that they both played football.

25. grpatriot says: Oct 3, 2012 5:56 PM

I think Jay is a punk…….

26. zerole00 says: Oct 3, 2012 5:56 PM

Why are outside reporters making this a big deal still?

—————————————————————-

‘Cause apparently honest journalism is too hard when they can settle for petty gossip/he-said-she-said for more if not equal reader hits. I think I’m about done reading Gantt articles.

27. clevername1 says: Oct 3, 2012 6:11 PM

Sure sounds like Tice is kissing pouty-face Cutlers arse. He was a whining little girl when he was at Vandy. Good player but very hard to watch.

28. robrose68 says: Oct 3, 2012 6:45 PM

Oh, and here is what noted Cutler critic Maurice Jones-Drew had to say about the Cutler-Tice incident

“During the course of a game, there’s so many things and emotions that are flying and going on. I don’t think there’s a problem with that at all,” he said. “There’s been times in games, where guys disagree on things, because emotions are flying and things happen. I think people try to read into too much sometimes.”

29. robrose68 says: Oct 3, 2012 6:47 PM

Just google Cutler and hospital visit to read a little more about Cutler’s other, much less talked about side.

30. LilTmac2003 says: Oct 3, 2012 6:57 PM

I’m on the same boat as majority as you guys.

As a Bears fan, I’m sick of it. All the negative press about Cutler. But it’s nothing new, we’ve never really gotten respect in the media and that’s fine.

Cutler simply doesn’t pretend to like the media…and that’s why they don’t like him.

Bears were 7-3 w/ him last season before he was done. The ended the season 8-8 without him.

They are 3-1 this season so far.

Hate his attitude, but the man can play. In a game where we had 140+ rating, we talk about how he drank some water.

The media needs to leave all the drama on Homeland and LOST, not NFL.

31. realfann says: Oct 3, 2012 7:18 PM

Gantt, you are one lousy writer. Please quit.

signed, football fans everywhere

32. pdennis33 says: Oct 3, 2012 7:24 PM

“Tice seemed no more bothered by Cutler’s continued churlishness than Bears fans who are willing to overlook anything if Cutler wins.”

You’re entitled to your opinions of Cutler, but do not tell us Bears fans what we think or assume that if we’re not upset with Cutler that we’re “overlooking anything if he wins”. That’s ridiculous.

I’m a huge Bears fan, and I love Cutler whether he’s throwing TDs or INTs. Obviously I’m hoping for TDs, but the point is, even though you might not have the capacity to understand it, there are those of us who love the Bears unconditionally and ACTUALLY don’t think Cutler’s attitude is a big deal at all. I’m not sure how much clearer to put it than that.

Everyone is different. Everyone handles themselves differently, and handles every situation differently. If you don’t agree with the way they deal with the situation, that doesn’t mean they’re wrong. And if others don’t get bothered when you do, it doesn’t mean they are naive or clueless or blind to the truth.

Cutler does get after guys at times and holds them accountable, which I think he should, but the media only seems to focus on those things. What I choose to focus on as well are the moments where Cutler is also giving praise to his teammates when they’re doing well. I choose to notice during the Monday night game after a great drive, when Cutler pulled J’Marcus Webb to the side, and said a few things to him (no doubt encouraging) and tapped him on the helmet, and Webb tapped him back. I choose to notice when DJ Moore, who had talked about Cutler in the media, made the interception, Cutler was one of the first ones to come off the bench and congratulate him. Cutler was also one of the ones who ran down to congratulate Tillman’s pick-six. He was also the first one to take the blame on the fumble for holding the ball too long.

We all have our own way of doing things. Those of us who don’t just look for the negative things, but also look at the positive things can all tell he cares about his teammates and is a good leader by those positive things he does. What a breath of fresh air it would be to have someone in the media take a small positive thing that happened and turn it into something great and visible to everyone, rather than trying to take a small seemingly negative thing and blow it up into a controversy.

Thanks for listening, and thanks for all of you fellow Bears fans out there that feel the same as me and support them unconditionally. GO BEARS!

33. chi01town says: Oct 3, 2012 7:43 PM

Cutler is a winner an Chicago has won the North already….. Its just gone take another 2 or 3 weeks for everybody to see it. Cutler has won 8 of his last 9 starts an this seasons playoffs games is gone tell the story

34. rhettsmith2 says: Oct 3, 2012 7:49 PM

I lived in Nashville and have watched Cutler since he was at Vanderbilt. He is the biggest baby in the NFL and close to the most overpaid. I will only say I wish the Titans had drafted Cutler rather than the empty-headed Vince Young….but that would have been only marginally better!!

35. chi01town says: Oct 3, 2012 9:08 PM

The media is mad because CUTLER DONT EVEN PRETEND LIKE HE LIKES THEM…….AND I DONT BLAME HIM. Tell dan pompi an the rest of the Cutler haters to stay out of his face. They DONT have to talk to him after the game… Just watch him walk off the field a winner week after week.

36. ohiobears says: Oct 3, 2012 9:09 PM

Hilarious how the media follows every Cutler move and reports it like he’s the friggin president. The crap is no different than any other QB having a disagreement or showing his displeasure for a given situation. The guy can’t win… The media circus criticizes him for showing no emotion, facial expressions, whatever, then jumps to write a story criticizing him of his actions when he’s pumped up or p’d off. Give me a break. He’s played behind a terrible o line, multiple coordinators, and a revolving door at the wr position. Just shut up and go write a Jamarcus Russell story already!!!

37. kabasaman says: Oct 3, 2012 9:12 PM

Skip Bayless and Steven A.Smith should just shut the F_$& up. Couple of db’s..

38. koenig61 says: Oct 3, 2012 9:56 PM

Did you really say “tantrum”. What games are you watching? Do you even read the posts that people put up after reading your article? If you did then you would realize the overwhelming opinion is nobody thought cutler threw a tantrum! So if cutler yells at a teammate during an emotional play he’s wrong, but if he walks away to avoid a confrontation, he’s wrong? It’s painfully obvious none of you PFT writers played sports past pee wee. Sports are emotional, teammates get upset, say things, but then just like any family, they get over it. Seems to me it’s the media who can’t get over it. But when Brady goes off on his Offensive coordinator, he’s a fierce competitor? What a joke, just let it go PFT, the only people buying into this drivel are the fans of teams who hate the bears.

39. traveye99 says: Oct 3, 2012 10:00 PM

Ok Darin you’ve done it again. I actually read your story this time thinking maybe you would wouldn’t be so completely anti Cutler. Seriously if you can’t tell both sides of a story with out your own agenda getting in the way then don’t tell it. Clearly at some point Jay turned down an interview request from you and now all you can do is throw dirt at him through your “writing.”

40. pencepost says: Oct 3, 2012 10:09 PM

If I were Cutler, I’d just roll with the media hype over his manners. Next week, give a dirty look to one of the receivers. The week after that, call an audible without saying please. Let’s see how long the media continues to ride this story out before attempting to find something else to write about the Bears.

41. joe240 says: Oct 3, 2012 10:34 PM

Which NFL city let personality ship a winning quarterback out of town?

Oh yeah… Bear fans are NOT unique! Winning cures all.

That, and I would hardly classify what I saw Cutler do Monday night as a tantrum. Let’s chalk that up to another issue I have with your “reporting.”

Bear fans knew what they were getting when they bought Cutler from Denver. I’ve watched all the games and while aspects of his personality leave something to be desired; I have a real hard time questioning his skill set or his toughness as competitor.

I think it’s fair to criticize his judgement, and quarterback is a position where that is a premium, but to suggest that the Bears are better off without him, or that on principle the fans of Chicago should force the team to hold him accountable for acting “churlish?! –
    It’s not Cutler’s judgement I’m starting to question…..

42. filthymcnasty1 says: Oct 3, 2012 10:36 PM

Quitler has no heart. The high point of his tenure in Chicago will be the NFC Championship game when the Bears just let the Packers march right in and take the Halas Trophy at Soldier Field while Jay rode his stationary bicycle.

43. chi01town says: Oct 4, 2012 4:56 AM

@Robrose68
    Thats exactly what Chicago is suppose to do…. Look the other damn way. Jay Cutler is Chicago’s starting QB hes suppose to get away with a whole lot of sh%t an they are suppose to cover it up an keep moving. Thats exactly whats happening on other teams ask the Steelers, or the Chargers

44. navybrat1972 says: Oct 5, 2012 12:25 PM

I watched Brian Urlacher on NFL Access last night and HE seemed put off by the press’s treatment of Jay Cutler. He said (and I’m paraphrasing since I can’t recall ALL he said) “Never mind that he threw for 300 yards or threw 2 touchdowns. He can’t win.”

Of course he can’t. The press is too busy s***king Tom Brady off to even notice another QB. Brady throws MORE fits than Cutler, but does anyone mention that? No.

You missed the part where MERE SECONDS LATER Tice and Cutler WERE TALKING ABOUT it and LAUGHING! Why? Because that’s not “newsworthy” enough for you.

Cutler probably is standoffish with the press because he knows he can’t win with you.

And as far as this: “This one falls squarely in the “What’s he gonna say?” category, as the Bears continue to look the other way whenever the quarterback decides to have another tantrum.”. How the hell do YOU know that? Are YOU Mike Tice or Lovie Smith or Jeremy Bates? Methinks NOT.

And if you want tantrums, look up Tom Brady. He’s the KING of tantrums, on and off the field. Only you look the other way as Brady throws a fit.

45. navybrat1972 says: Oct 5, 2012 12:32 PM

@filthymcnasty1: Cutler DIDN’T quit. That injury happened EARLY in the SECOND quarter. If he quit, he would have right when it happened. And, due to it being an MCL, he could have ridden the bike. At that time, they didn’t know it was the MCL.

Like everyone else who says something re it: What do you know about the MCL? It stabilizes side to side motion (like when someone is scrambling) so yeah. He could ride the bike. They thought it was a simple injury and there would be some slight and mild pain riding and walking.

And IT WAS THE TEAM DRS AND LOVIE SMITH THAT TOOK JAY OUT OF THE GAME; NOT JAY. Get your facts straight on that one. It’s WELL DOCUMENTED that’s what happened.

And, you DON’T give a DIABETIC steroids because it can (worse case scenario) cause death. Sure, put a brace on it, but it wouldn’t have helped because of how much he had to scramble.

It’s time to let it go. Chicago fans have. Why won’t everyone else? Jay’s proven himself to us.

And, regardless of how it turned out, Cutler led the Bears TO the NFCCG ONE YEAR after being a Bear for a year and practically the laughing stock of the year, new receivers, new OC. It took Rodgers THREE YEARS, same OC, same receivers that Favre had.

46. lar271 says: Oct 5, 2012 1:59 PM

I’m a huge Bears Fan. As long as Cutler is drinking the Kool-aid that Tice, and Smith, are making him drink, who cares? As long as he can throw the darned football to a receiver, or hand it off, fine. I’m tired of the Media saying Cutler does this or he doesn’t do that. I don’t see any of the Media handing him a water bottle on the sidelines, or patting his butt saying “Atta Boy!”

47. boppinbob47 says: Oct 5, 2012 2:33 PM

@filthymcnasty1, are you a Bronco’s fan. Are you angry at Cutler for asking for a trade when his new HC tried to trade for another QB (the spectacular Cassal) and couldn’t accomplish the trade and settled for Cutler, only to be forced to trade him. Cutler should be denigrated for that? I think not. I notice the HC didn’t have much success and didn’t last very long.

48. larryboodry says: Oct 5, 2012 4:05 PM

wafflestomp says: Oct 3, 2012 4:52 PM

——————————–
    Pleased to meetcha, wafflestomp…When our teams meet again for the NFC crown I shall raise my glass to you, sir!