After latest gaffe, John Fox should retire his trick plays

Oakland Raiders v Denver Broncos Getty Images

It was easy to laugh about Broncos kicker Matt Prater’s pass attempt gone wrong because they won 37-6, but it also shined the light on one of coach John Fox’s career frustrations.

The notoriously conservative coach has never gotten the hang of trick plays, and he might be better off not trying any more.

Prater was supposed to run for an easy first down when the Raiders overloaded one side of the line, but when the Raiders adjusted, Prater threw a pass toward offensive lineman Zane Beadles, who had fallen down.

“In my coaching career, as a head coach, I don’t know what the production has been, but when I’ve had anybody other than the quarterback throw the ball? It’s ugly,” Fox said, via Mike Klis of the Denver Post. “It’s been terrible. You know that play Tennessee scored on last week? I tried that.”

Yeah, about that.

Fox’s Panthers tried a throwback on a punt return in Minnesota in 2006. Playing with a 13-6 lead in the fourth quarter, Chris Gamble threw a one-hopper which Richard Marshall promptly fumbled, and the Panthers ended up losing a game they’d have probably won if Fox had stuck to his by-the-book personality.

The Broncos avoided a similar embarrassment, though their lead was just 10-6 at the time of the play.

That led quarterback Peyton Manning to offer a suggestion in case it came up again.

“Hey, Coach,” Manning told Fox. “Next time it’s fourth-and-1, I’ll take my chances over Prater-Beadles.”

Good call.

Permalink 11 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Denver Broncos, Home, Rumor Mill
11 Responses to “After latest gaffe, John Fox should retire his trick plays”
  1. orangeclipper says: Oct 4, 2012 10:58 AM

Fox is a joke. Terrible at Carolina and he should stay away from Manning and let the man alone

2. azwildcats96 says: Oct 4, 2012 11:34 AM

Yeah, taking a team to the Super Bowl is my definition of terrible. There’s nothing wrong with Fox. He’s a team “manager”. He does a good job of managing the players and asst. coaches. He’s never going to be an offensive genius or motivational guru. After the horror that was Josh McDaniels, the Broncos needed someone steady and conservative like Fox.

3. bigjdve says: Oct 4, 2012 11:35 AM

I think people forget that Fox is supposed to be a defensive genius. I have never heard of him being a offensive genius.

He should stick with the defense.

4. orangebluedonkey says: Oct 4, 2012 11:38 AM

Yup. That was ugly.

5. CKL says: Oct 4, 2012 11:45 AM

That Minny throwback was a huge facepalm. But PM making it public what he said to Fox is a worse one. Crikey he’s a megalomaniac. I can’t think of another player who has a “classy” reputation that he doesn’t deserve more than PM. That’s why I sometimes stick up for Cutler even though I don’t like him. At least he doesn’t put on a fake show.

6. dionoil says: Oct 4, 2012 12:15 PM

Fox is a damn good coach, but he should be barred from the offensive meeting room.

7. phazard says: Oct 4, 2012 12:18 PM

Yeah, Remember when he let Tebow try and throw a football?

8. pilot2011 says: Oct 4, 2012 3:37 PM

I bought a Chris Gamble jersey that same week years back, thinking I’d be the only one of all my friends with a Panthers defensive back’s jersey… Then THAT happened… I remember it like it was yesterday.

9. traveye99 says: Oct 4, 2012 5:29 PM

Orangeclipper did you watch Carolina games when Fox was there? He took them to with in a last second field goal from winning the Super Bowl. You clearly have no understanding of the word terrible.

10. mpoles says: Oct 4, 2012 5:55 PM

That was a really dumb call because the field goal was long enough that getting 1 yard from scrimmage would have had a much higher chance of success and so even the Raiders’ particularly useless special teams coach could have thought “Ooh – I wonder if this might be a fake” and set his team up appropriately. Which is in fact what happened.

Although you did miss the very good play that rookie linebacker Miles Burris made in snuffing it out. (Best Raiders rookie linebacker since Greg Biekert that boy. Gonna be a good one, but probably not a great one.)

11. leftysmoke says: Oct 5, 2012 1:04 AM

CKL says:
    Oct 4, 2012 11:45 AM

—————————

Hey, genius, Fox told the media about Manning’s comment. Not Manning. He thought it was funny.