DeAngelo Hall and Mike Smith make up

Smitty-DeAngelo-Hall AP

DeAngelo Hall never played for Mike Smith, and they never had the warmest relationship.

But they apparently patched things up over mai tais (or something) in Hawaii.

Hall was one of the first players shipped out when Smith and general manager Thomas Dimitroff took over the Falcons in 2008, traded to Oakland.

Then in 2009, when he returned to the Georgia Dome as a member of the Redskins, he was involved in an altercation after a late hit on Matt Ryan, and said Smith “put his hands on me in a harmful way, talking about how he’s going to kick my [butt] and all this other [stuff], and that ain’t how you do things.”

We’re cool,” Hall said, via the Associated Press. “We got a chance to sit and reminisce over some drinks out in Hawaii.

“I got a chance to be around that coaching staff and make our amends, me and him and the rest of the coaching staff. I’m excited to see those guys before the game and say: ‘What’s up.’ Make sure that everything is going good and make sure that their families are doing good before the whistle blows. When the whistle blows, he’s going to want to kill me and I’m going to want to kill him.”

Smith said he made a point to approach Hall in Hawaii to start peace talks.

“I went up and talked to him,” the Falcons coach said. “We had a real good conversation sitting out by the pool the first night we were there,” Smith said. “Hey listen, DeAngelo is one of the most competitive guys in this league. You can see it in the way he plays every week. Competition and emotion are a big part of being successful in this league and that’s why he’s been around for nine years and played the way he’s played.”

Of course, poolside drinks in Hawaii would probably set the stage for making any uncomfortable conversations easier.

Maybe the NFL and its officials should have tried that a month ago.

Permalink 8 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Atlanta Falcons, Home, Rumor Mill, Washington Redskins
8 Responses to “DeAngelo Hall and Mike Smith make up”
  1. dynast77 says: Oct 4, 2012 9:59 AM

“But when they caught up at the Pro Bowl after the 2010 season, everyone was in a better mood.”

You’re reporting on something that happened more than a year and a half ago?

2. kelsocarpenter says: Oct 4, 2012 10:02 AM

I think DeAngelo gets a bit of a bad rap. Sure he can be a hothead on the field, and yes he’s been overrated for pretty much his entire career, but he actually seems like a pretty nice guy. He’s a regular guest on Lavar and Dukes and always comes off genuine. I’ve also met him once and he was very polite and engaging. I know it’s trendy and common for people to trash him, but there are far, far worse guys in the NFL.

3. Satan's Valet says: Oct 4, 2012 10:14 AM

This should cover the bases: these picks suck and change the damn formatting. Also “something something” Goodell is ruining this game. Did I miss anything?

4. daxrobertson says: Oct 4, 2012 10:36 AM

DeAngelo Hall has to be one of the most overrated players in league history. So much interest in someone that has been burned more times than an old candle.

5. daxrobertson says: Oct 4, 2012 10:36 AM

6. watermelon1 says: Oct 4, 2012 11:22 AM

I don’t think Deangelo Fall is any bigger of an idiot than the average NFL player… but goodness, the guy lost his talents very quickly. I mean, he’s been so bad for the last couple years… it’s hard to even remember that the guy was, at one time, one of the best.

I mean, he was already looking horrible… but now that the Skins lost their pass-rush in Orakpo, it’s just atrocious.

7. skins1982 says: Oct 4, 2012 11:30 AM

Hall and Kerrigan will break Ryan’s back Sunday and eat the heart of the pidgeons. The greatness of Rg3 will shine!!!!! The division has filpped!!!!!! You’ve been warned!!!!!

8. blackqbwhiterb says: Oct 4, 2012 11:30 AM

DeAngelo should forget making nicey-nice with Mike Smith, and focus on keeping himself within a country mile of Roddy White/Julio Jones, so they don’t run free all afternoon…..Can he play tight man coverage? He always seems to be in a soft zone, trying to play off the guy & jump a route, which is nice, if you’re fast enough, but often he hasn’t been. Makes me crazy.