Falcons could become next team to use PSLs

Baltimore Ravens v Atlanta Falcons Getty Images

The Falcons are hoping to get a new stadium to replace the Georgia Dome.  If they do, fans could end up having to pay for the ability to sit in the seats to which they buy tickets.

According to 11Alive News in Atlanta, an NBC affiliate, the latest term sheet regarding a potential stadium deal includes Personal Seat Licenses.

As 11Alive points out, 15 teams currently use PSLs in one form or another.  In some respects, it’s an investment, since the PSLs can eventually be sold on the open market for more — or less — than the purchaser initially paid.

The 49ers will be using PSLs at their new stadium in Santa Clara.

In the end, it all comes down to supply and demand.  If people will pay for the PSLs at the price that the powers-that-be apply, it’s a good move.  If they don’t or won’t, it’s a bad move.

Permalink 27 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Atlanta Falcons, Home, Rumor Mill
27 Responses to “Falcons could become next team to use PSLs”
  1. lightcleric says: Oct 4, 2012 1:40 PM

Still not sure what’s wrong with the Georgia Dome.

2. sadskinsfan89 says: Oct 4, 2012 1:41 PM

I say the fans should strike. all it would take would be not go to any games for about 2 weeks and all these crazy prices wld come down

3. kevo126 says: Oct 4, 2012 1:42 PM

I thought every team has psl’s. learn something new everyday.

With that being said, is it really a good idea to do it in Atlanta? Known as the worst sports city in America?

4. sbdt says: Oct 4, 2012 1:46 PM

Not sure this is the wisest move, considering Atlanta has (as they readily admit) the least loyal fans in the country.

5. iceshocker says: Oct 4, 2012 1:46 PM

crazy number of people on waiting list for season tickets. maybe this will help me move up on the list

6. phrancheyez says: Oct 4, 2012 1:47 PM

PSL’s should be illegal. Billionaires forcing poor people to spend even more of their money, with which the rate they already spend it makes the NFL the highest grossing sports league in the world (or at least America), and they force PSL’s because they want more.

People complain about player contracts and players wanting more money. What the players do and get is elementary compared to the owners, and I wish people would realize this.

7. clickablecontent says: Oct 4, 2012 1:48 PM

Awesome! My couch and satellite dish just got more value.

8. scd7 says: Oct 4, 2012 1:50 PM

I’m a 10-yr Falcon season ticket holder and love my game day experience at the Ga. Dome. I look forward to the season ticket package arriving every July kind a 5 year old on Christmas morning. And I go to every home game and look forward to it all week before the game.

However, I will NOT pay a “license fee” for the right to spend even more money on the actual tickets every year. I have no problem paying for the tickets themselves, but I will not pay what I see as an extortion fee to continue doing so. And frankly, while I love my falcon’s they are NOT a dynasty or perennial winner who can justify asking for a PSL. In my opinion a PSL for the Falcons will lose more on day 1 after purchase than a new car going off the lot for the 1st time. I’ll invent my PSL money into new AV equipment to watch the games at home.

And given the Atlanta fan base for every major sport team, I highly doubt they’re going to find enough people willing to pay a PSL to sell out season tickets once implemented.

9. justintuckrule says: Oct 4, 2012 1:50 PM

that fanbase won’t buy.

10. tundey says: Oct 4, 2012 1:52 PM

Am sorry but it’s not just about supply and demand. There’s gotta be a fairness issue. Just because a team can create an artificial market for something that’s worthless doesn’t make it right for them to be allowed to sell it. PSLs are a ripoff and if we weren’t so football-obsessed, it’ll be illegal.

11. sterilizecromartie says: Oct 4, 2012 1:55 PM

I have a PSL already. It’s on my lazy boy recliner in the comfort of my own home.

12. db105 says: Oct 4, 2012 1:56 PM

Overpriced PSLs are hard to sell. Ask the Giants, Jets and Cowboys.

13. pooflingingmonkey says: Oct 4, 2012 1:56 PM

15 Teams make extra revenue by selling a license to a seat? And yet these same ultra rich owners couldn’t scrounge up enough chnage to keep the real referees in the game.

I used to be pro-ownership for the most part, but not so much anymore.

14. bennyb82 says: Oct 4, 2012 2:01 PM

It is only a matter of time before NFL teams charge you for leaving your home on Sunday.

15. txbossman says: Oct 4, 2012 2:09 PM

If you want to know why attendance is down, here’s a major reason. I mean, imagine paying for the right to come into any other store in order to spend your money. It’s laughable. (Yes, I know some of the bulk places do it, but that’s supposedly to come out ahead on the bottom line price.)

The NFL is doing it’s level best to disenfranchise the average fan. One of these days, they just might do it.

16. abengalfan says: Oct 4, 2012 2:21 PM

Bought a PSL when Paul Brown Stadium opened and sold it when I dumped my season tickets few years ago. Got half of it back. For me it was more about principle than $ when selling. To my small brain could not let the seat license revert back to the Bengals. Only reason I was selling was due to Mikey Brown’s incompetance. If I let the team sell the PSL again it would basically be rewarding itself for it’s own incompetance.

For those who say PSLs won’t fly, Cincinnati is as fiscally conservative as any city and yes some people complained about paying for a PSL.
    Did not hurt ticket sales though.

17. kane337 says: Oct 4, 2012 2:40 PM

PSL’s should be illegal. It’s such a ripoff.

18. FinFan68 says: Oct 4, 2012 2:49 PM

PSLs are a gimmick and ought to be recognized as the scam that they are. Each football game is an event with a finite number of seats. Buying a ticket to a game is no different than buying a ticket for a concert. Season tickets are simply a package deal for the 8-10 scheduled events for the season. Would you expect to pay $100 for a ticket to your favorite band’s concert and then fork over another $50 for the “privilege” of using the seat you already paid for during the event? This is the same thing except the PSL is first required to purchase those tickets. The problem is stupid people accept them and buy them just so the other guy doesn’t get “their” seats. This is the same thing the car dealerships use to generate extra money. You purchase a vehicle for an agreed price and then there are “destination fees” paperwork fees, etc. It is the equivalent of Walmart charging you an extra buck or two for printing the receipt. It’s dumb, but people accept it and some businesses keep searching for the next way to steal money from those dumb enough to give it to them.

People are not forced to buy these things. They just do it because they would rather pay the fee than lose the chance to buy the tickets. It’s a racket and the fans are accomplices.

19. NoHomeTeam says: Oct 4, 2012 3:02 PM

There’s quite a bit of outrage on this thread.

In all seriousness, I wonder how much overlap there is between people who protest the existence of PSLs and those who are against using public funds to build stadiums?

20. ravenschick says: Oct 4, 2012 3:26 PM

I got Ravens PSLs in 1997. Two upper endzone seats for $500 per PSL. Just bought the seat next to me last year. Paid $1750 in a down economy. That ROI is better than the stock market in the same period of time. (Tickets are $600 per seat per year.)

It’s a great investment if your team is good year in and year out, like the Ravens are. Otherwise, not so much.

NTM, no tax increases on everyone else who may or not be NFL fans.

21. abengalfan says: Oct 4, 2012 3:30 PM

Why should PSLs be illegal?
    We’re a free market based economy. If you don’t like a product or price you don’t have to buy it.
    Nor is the concept new at all, some colleges have had PSLs for decades.
    Plus a PSL is a one time fee. Most college programs, if you want good seats you have to pay to be a booster every year.

22. purpleguy says: Oct 4, 2012 3:38 PM

Wait, doesn’t dang near every pro team in that city have attendance issues? The Falcons want to join the empty seat crowd?

23. rcali says: Oct 4, 2012 3:53 PM

Ask Browns fans how well their PSLs are doing as an investment.

24. wcdunkenfield says: Oct 4, 2012 5:07 PM

Maybe there is a large part of the Atlanta fanbase that can afford PSL’s. But strolling through “The Gulch” on game day — an undeveloped tract of land of railroad tracks and ad hoc parking that has al the charm of a migrant labor camp — one gets the idea that the Falcons fan base is decidedly lower income.

Although a large portion of the folks that populate The Gulch on game day never go inside the Dome, it is indicative of the Falcons crowd. Atlanta’s crowd does not equate to the crowds at The Meadowlands, Jerry World, or any of the other high-dollar stadia. This is a lunch bucket crowd with a huge hip-hop contingent.

Arthur Blank is kidding himself if he thinks anywhere near half the crowd can afford PSL’s. But then, he has been kicking at the jams for a new stadium for quite some time.

25. seenoland54 says: Oct 4, 2012 7:16 PM

After 35 years of season tickets I ditched my season tickets when they doubled under Blank. four seats hit 6500… plus parking, food, drinks etc. That’s about seven grand a year for eight regular season games and two “practices” that you are forced to buy. You can have it, I don’t miss it a bit. heck, seven grand is a heckuva cruise or the same ten days I would spend on the Falcons spent first class in Paris or Rome.

26. dfalcon3522 says: Oct 4, 2012 7:55 PM

16 year ticket holder here and there is NO WAY I will be one in 2017. Just go ahead and buy the new 60 inch I have been eyeing. I knew it was coming and in hate the idea of it. As much as I want some real outdoor football in atlanta there is absolutely nothing wrong with the Ga Dome

27. dallascowboysdishingthereal says: Oct 4, 2012 9:50 PM

The timing would appear to be right. Stick it to the fans when they have a winning team and are thinking super bowl.