Donald Driver: As long as we’re winning, I’m OK with my role

Donald+Driver+Green+Bay+Packers+v+Carolina+WZf3meQrFxdl Getty Images

Packers receiver Donald Driver has been progressively getting phased out of the offense over the last few years, and this year he’s hardly a part of the offense at all: He has just two catches through four games. But Driver is OK with that.

I’m fine with it,” Driver told Ian Rapoport of NFL Network. “Like I’ve always said, as long as we’re winning games, I’m OK. And that’s the biggest thing with me.”

With Greg Jennings sitting out Week Five with a groin injury, it’s possible that Driver will get more opportunities on Sunday. But Driver acknowledged that even without Jennings, he’s not sure if the Packers’ passing game will turn to him.

“You know, I don’t know,” Driver said. “I’m just going to play the hand that’s dealt to me. I’m just going to continue to work out and continue to stay in shape and when the opportunity presents itself, I’ll be ready to play.”

At age 37, Driver is probably playing his last NFL season. He probably never envisioned himself going out as a non-factor in the offense, but no matter how much he’s phased out of the offense, Driver isn’t going to go out a complainer.

Permalink 42 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Green Bay Packers, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
42 Responses to “Donald Driver: As long as we’re winning, I’m OK with my role”
  1. roxtar10 says: Oct 5, 2012 11:12 AM

I’m not familiar with this “team first” concept he’s refering to….

2. medtxpack says: Oct 5, 2012 11:14 AM

“non-factor in the offense” doesnt exactly mean hes not an asset to the team. He is always ready when called upon and his leadership goes a long way.

3. bla bla bla says: Oct 5, 2012 11:14 AM

DD has been nothing BUT a class act throughout his entire career. He will be sorely missed upon his retirement.

4. faultylogic29 says: Oct 5, 2012 11:16 AM

Total class act. Will go down as one of my favorite Packers of all-time.

5. nygiantstones says: Oct 5, 2012 11:18 AM

Nobody wants to listen to a 37 year old WR making 7 figures anyways.

6. nygiantstones says: Oct 5, 2012 11:19 AM

Complain, listen to him complain. bah

7. lambeaurules says: Oct 5, 2012 11:22 AM

DD is a class act all around. He can still play at a very high level and is an awesome mentor to the younger receivers.

8. beedubyatoo says: Oct 5, 2012 11:23 AM

Another classy guy, part of a classy organization.

9. lambeauphan says: Oct 5, 2012 11:29 AM

Double D’s is all class and im sure he is dropping knowledge on Randall Cobb which is great. DD is a great packer

10. squeakywheeler says: Oct 5, 2012 11:30 AM

DD is a class act & is saying all the right things as you would expect. That said, unless there are more injuries at the WR position this year his role won’t expand much through the year. No doubt this is his last year. At least in GB that is…. If he wants to continue it will have to be somewhere else.

11. pjrhc says: Oct 5, 2012 11:38 AM

Donald Driver. Throwback tough, throwback character. And when they DO put him out there, he RARELY drops it. Most loved Packer on the team without question.

12. Carl Gerbschmidt says: Oct 5, 2012 11:43 AM

Donald Driver is one of the classiest individual ever to play this game. I have no doubt that he will be wearing (another) Super Bowl ring at his retirement ceremony this time next year. Warriors believe. Go. Pack. Go.

13. packfntk says: Oct 5, 2012 11:45 AM

Great guy, even better team mate. Love ya DD!

#Packernation

14. sj39 says: Oct 5, 2012 11:45 AM

As long as you’re winning?

15. DubZ480 says: Oct 5, 2012 11:54 AM

Donald Driver = Pure Class

16. jwayne03 says: Oct 5, 2012 11:54 AM

Driver… Your role is to dance on the sideline and hope someone will talk to you. Your time is up big guy.

17. gbpbacker84 says: Oct 5, 2012 12:02 PM

Donald “More Heart Than Any Other Receiver In The NFL” Driver

18. omegaichiban says: Oct 5, 2012 12:09 PM

As I remember it, he was the only one without a drop in the superbowl.

19. seahawks4alltime says: Oct 5, 2012 12:21 PM

Donald Driver has always been one of, if not the most, classy guy on the Packers team. Definitely one of my favorite players.

20. jm91rs says: Oct 5, 2012 12:21 PM

This guy just gets it. He’s not as good as some of the younger guys anymore, so why complain when you’re getting paid and the fans still love you.

21. thepancakebandit says: Oct 5, 2012 12:22 PM

I love Driver. The man is truly a class act, and always has been.

Packer Nation will sorely miss him when he decides to hang up his cleats.

22. milkcan44 says: Oct 5, 2012 12:24 PM

As injuries crop up, he will end up playing an important role. A great guy and the most popular Packer.

23. filthymcnasty1 says: Oct 5, 2012 12:25 PM

I knew he was nearing the end when he went on Dancing With The Stars.

24. FinFan68 says: Oct 5, 2012 12:28 PM

that statement almost sounds good until you think about it. in reality the statement is selfish. I would expect that out if Owens or Moss but i thought this guy was better than that

25. bfrsd says: Oct 5, 2012 12:36 PM

I personally don’t understand why they don’t use Driver more. I’m not big on playing someone just because of seniority and legend if the younger guys are playing better but that hasn’t been the case this season.

This is the worst the receivers have played in a few years with or without Jennings in the lineup and I think it’s because they became content with their success from last season. People think the defenses are dramatically different. No, the receivers can’t get separation and the o-line has at least a bad half every game.

By all accounts, Driver had a very nice training camp. The Packers need to see on Sunday if he can be a boost with Jennings out.

26. tiredofyoureferringtoateamaswe says: Oct 5, 2012 12:53 PM

Driver is a class act, always has been. Even if he doesn’t like what is going on, you won’t hear him go all T.O. about it.

27. brewcrewfan54 says: Oct 5, 2012 12:56 PM

I love Double D. One of the classiest guys in pro sports.

28. Peter Venkman says: Oct 5, 2012 12:59 PM

The consummate professional and role model.

29. londonfletcher59 says: Oct 5, 2012 1:08 PM

He’s class all the way. If I were him, I would be happy to retire a Packer, with a ring and the love of my long time fans. It’s a good thing he’s hasn’t tried to jump to another team to reclaim his “glory days”.

30. bigjim50010 says: Oct 5, 2012 1:13 PM

Call me a Packer homer , but he truly is one of a kind.

31. nesportsfan0428 says: Oct 5, 2012 1:13 PM

He’s a fading star, on an awesome team, on one of the most beloved NFL franchise. Of course he’s OK.

32. jimboinlimbo says: Oct 5, 2012 1:16 PM

As long as they’re winning? How are they keeping him from figuring out that they haven’t had a winning record at any point this season?

33. jjbadd385 says: Oct 5, 2012 1:19 PM

Great guy. It’s really an unwritten rule that players are aware of, & I would hope Driver sees the writing on the wall, & walks away gracefully. Don’t make them come out & say “Hey, you’re done”. He’s a WR well on the other side of 30, go out with dignity, don’t be a T.O.

34. yooperman says: Oct 5, 2012 1:23 PM

When a big game is on the line and the other team no longer worries about the old guy, he will burn them big time. He still has a few big catches left in him.

35. glennsyank13 says: Oct 5, 2012 2:04 PM

Great to hear. But what does he feel about .500 football?

36. purpleguy says: Oct 5, 2012 2:06 PM

I think DD should spend more time with Finley — maybe something would rub off.

37. elgaffo says: Oct 5, 2012 2:06 PM

DD is all class all the time. He knows no other way to be. I hope he has a decent year with a few more TD’s and then hangs them up. I’d hate to see him put on another jersey.

38. g2-565cfd5c11a869191e3803cf365dd100 says: Oct 5, 2012 2:42 PM

@sj39

Well yeah. He’s a competitor like any driven player. If he’s not on the field when they start losing, he’s gonna want to be. He feels he can make a difference.

39. bubba9er says: Oct 5, 2012 3:13 PM

Donald Driver 2012 = Hines Ward 2011

40. dannymac17 says: Oct 5, 2012 3:32 PM

Donald Driver – Class Act
    Wes Welker – Gym Rat
    Victor Cruz – Sparkplug/Firecracker

41. deltaoracle says: Oct 5, 2012 3:52 PM

Unfortunately, he’s had what should have been a TD pass go through his hands a time or two this year, and that isn’t the way to get more playing time whether you’re 37 or 21.
    It won’t be the same next year if both Driver and Greg Jennings are gone. Both are real pillars, exemplary of what you want the people on your team to be.

42. axespray says: Oct 8, 2012 6:57 PM

no matter how tough a season can get, Driver is there to cheer you up.