Haslam won’t start handing out pink slips until after season

Pat Shurmur, Jimmy Haslam III AP

Hey, relax Browns coaches and administrators, you’re not all fired.

At least not until the end of the year, anyway.

New Cleveland owner Jimmy Haslam has said he’ll wait until after the season to consider any staff changes, according to Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain Dealer.

Haslam, who will be approved later this month as the new owner, said via team spokesman Neal Gulkis that personnel changes were “not something we’ll discuss until after the year.”

That didn’t seem to be much of a relief to coach 0-4 Pat Shurmur.

“Right now, we’re trying to get our first victory [Sunday against the Giants],” Shurmur said. “That’s my focus right now.”

Haslam was at practie Thursday, and said he wanted to take his time before proceeding.

“Look, we’re coming into this in the middle of the season,” he said. “It’s an awkward time. We’re going to study and evaluate. . . .

“I don’t think anybody thinks 0-4 [is acceptable] and certainly [president] Mike Holmgren and Pat Shumur don’t think it is, and we don’t think it is. But we’ve got a young team. We’re building. I think we’re heading in the right direction.

“We don’t officially own the team yet, and we’ve said all along that we’re not going to make any comments on personnel until after we own the team. That’s in about two weeks. And, candidly, we’ll be halfway through the football season then, so any personnel decisions we’d make would be toward the end of the year.”

Haslam’s expected to bring former Eagles team president Joe Banner as soon as the ink’s dry, giving this season a “dead man walking” appearance for Shurmur and Holmgren.

But Holmgren is apparently feeling no pressure, as he said “I’m doing great,” before leaving the practice facility on his Harley-Davidson.

If nothing else, he has a few more months to look for an appropriate sunset to ride it into.

Permalink 14 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cleveland Browns, Home, Rumor Mill
14 Responses to “Haslam won’t start handing out pink slips until after season”
  1. captfoxboro says: Oct 5, 2012 10:18 AM

Major upset in the Meadowlands this weekend …

Just a hunch .

Brownies 16
    Giants 14

2. skins716 says: Oct 5, 2012 10:51 AM

I can see Haslam going after Cowher with both guys having worked together, but could Cowher do that to Pittsburgh? Just a hunch.

3. yeeeeeep says: Oct 5, 2012 11:05 AM

Still no hope for Cleveland…

4. nflofficeadmin says: Oct 5, 2012 11:12 AM

If I’m a new owner with deep pockets and I want to get the fans in Cleveland excited I either bring in 1) The Chin or 2) Gruden. That’s a shot in the arm.

5. joeinoh says: Oct 5, 2012 11:30 AM

- “…so any personnel decisions we’d make would be toward the end of the year.”

Uh, November 1st is “toward the end of the year.”

Now I’m Done.

6. rcali says: Oct 5, 2012 11:31 AM

This Browns head coaching job has turned into the Raiders coaching job. There is no positive outcome. At least the Raiders have a chance with crazy Al now gone.

7. bpanz2012 says: Oct 5, 2012 11:36 AM

As I rememer Cowher was a Brown and coached here in Cleveland, So he has ties. However I think he wants full power. I hope that doesn’t happen. Almost all X and O coaches don’t know squat on running a full franchise.

8. td40 says: Oct 5, 2012 11:57 AM

It still blows my mind that there are people who actually think that Cowher would even take a job coaching the Browns if offered. Get that out of your head.

WHY would a SB-winning coach of our biggest (used to be, anyway) rival come back into coaching and go to the most dysfunctional, ass-backwards team in the league- This guy doesn’t want to give himself a heart attack trying to turn around a team that’s had 2 seasons above .500 in the last 13 of them.

Browns fans talk about Cowher because they’re *that* desperate for a a “winner” of any sort in Cleveland…. but realistically, Cowher would be a fool to take that job and he knows it!

Face the facts- the Browns next coach will come from the same stock the last several have- some other teams’s OC or DC- or possibly a college head coach, etc. And that’s fine- as long as that coach isn’t dumb as a box of rocks like Shurmur.

9. bringbackkosar says: Oct 5, 2012 12:46 PM

Cowher’s the guy. Give him the keys and let him do the coach/GM gig. Cleveland is a great football town, if anything bringing in Cowher in would add some more spice to the Steelers rivalry. Nothing else has worked!

10. bbrophy1 says: Oct 5, 2012 12:52 PM

@skins716

Cowher started out in Cleveland as defensive coordinator for Marty Schottenheimer so maybe it would be considered homecoming rather than doing something specifically to the Steelers

11. dawgpoundking says: Oct 5, 2012 12:53 PM

Why does Haslam always refer to himself as “We”? Kind of creepy.

12. coop16 says: Oct 5, 2012 1:59 PM

Since the Browns’ season is essentially over (as usual), the only interesting question for us Browns fans is whether or not Haslam fires everybody at the end of the year. You can make a good case for doing so, since the team has made zero progress under Holmgren/Heckert/Shurmur (if 0-4 looks like progress to you, you’re a lot easier to please than I am). On the other hand, the organization has been doing a complete reboot every 2-4 years since 1999, and we all see how well that’s worked out, so you can also make a case for staying the course and giving continuity a try. It’s a tough call. If I were making the call I think I’d give the current management team another year and look for some real progress. Like actually winning a game.

13. oldcracker says: Oct 5, 2012 3:51 PM

Oh Gawd! Rebuilding again???

We rebuilt Europe faster than this!

14. bowtie56 says: Oct 8, 2012 1:31 AM

I was going to comment the other day but i’m glad i waited the browns are now 0-5 I can’t say i’m shocked but to all the haters out there every dog has its day! And the rest of the NFL and the AFC north had best pay attention this TEAM is for real if mr haslem decides to make a change I hope he looks no further than the man curently in the presidents office you are not going to find a more capable couch for this team than Mike Holmgren! LOVE WEST SIDE GEORGE