Illinois man killed in Jacksonville the night before Bears-Jaguars game

the-landing-jacksonville-l Getty Images

An Illinois man, quite possibly a Bears fan who traveled to Jacksonville to see the Bears play the Jaguars, was killed early Sunday as a result of a stabbing at a local restaurant within a block of the Bears’ team hotel.

William Pettry, 42, died after being attacked at an Irish Pub at the popular Jacksonville Landing.

Per NBC 5 in Chicago, Bears fans “flocked” to Jacksonville for the game, with fans crowing into the team hotel on Saturday night.

According to First Coast News, a suspect has been arrested in the slaying.

Permalink 25 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Chicago Bears, Home, Jacksonville Jaguars, Rumor Mill
25 Responses to “Illinois man killed in Jacksonville the night before Bears-Jaguars game”
  1. joetoronto says: Oct 7, 2012 7:42 PM

No class at all, I’m not surprised.

2. xkj1985x says: Oct 7, 2012 7:42 PM

That is horrible…..I just want to know how they allowed an Eagles fan to get into Jacksonville to do this!

3. commonsenseisnotcmonman says: Oct 7, 2012 7:44 PM

So a man, who was from IL, who may or may not be a Bears fan, was stabbed a block away from the Bears teal hotel.

Best football story ever?

4. smokingconch says: Oct 7, 2012 7:45 PM

Not that this isn’t tragic, it certainly is, but the fact that the man was from Illinois makes this football news, why?

5. roastmeforbeingacardsfan says: Oct 7, 2012 7:46 PM

joetoronto you’re a raiders fan not exactly model citizens over there.

6. mrhurriicane says: Oct 7, 2012 7:46 PM

Capitol Punishment sounds about right.

7. catquick says: Oct 7, 2012 7:54 PM

Gone forever, family destroyed, friends in shock, all for a football game? This is beyond stupid.

8. footballer4ever says: Oct 7, 2012 7:55 PM

Darn NFL hooligans! SMH

9. 4t9er says: Oct 7, 2012 7:56 PM

Football is not worth this. I really feel for his family.

10. cameraguy76 says: Oct 7, 2012 8:24 PM

joetoronto
    Oct 7, 2012, 7:42 PM EDT
    No class at all, I’m not surprised.
    ____________________________

I grew up in Chicago and also spent 7 years in Jacksonville, I can say I know both cities. You sometimes have some funny comments but mostly you are just a jackass who hates on the Jags and the city. This is not a bad area of Jacksonville, so with that said keep your ignorance to yourself.

11. chi01town says: Oct 7, 2012 8:28 PM

Im sorry for this guy an his people. Thats real bad an the FOOL that did this should be put to death… Your going to kill a man over a game?

12. sd1024 says: Oct 7, 2012 8:32 PM

Bears fans apparently need lives.

13. i10east says: Oct 7, 2012 8:49 PM

Let me start by saying this is obviously a tragic unfortunate incident. Although I must say, if this happened in any other NFL city besides Jax, it would not be a story. This happened a mile away from EverBank Field the night before a game. So obviously the one person (he knows who he is) on here that hates Jacksonville alot, and bad Jax news is definitely in his interest. So is the team gonna leave Jax now because of this incident? I can’t wait to see that follow up story….

14. htowntexan says: Oct 7, 2012 8:51 PM

I feel awful for his family. What are the odds of leaving Chicago and having this happen. Chicago is crushing the murder rates. Mexico is safer. Chitown is the real wild west. Jacksonville is a much safer place.

15. ironmike778 says: Oct 7, 2012 9:11 PM

Come on guys, show some class and respect with your comments.

16. 4dabears says: Oct 7, 2012 9:32 PM

Where was Ray Lewis?

17. vipod4ever says: Oct 7, 2012 9:33 PM

Most importantly, my heart goes out to the victim’s family & friends. Regardless of what team you support, this is the last thing you expect. I’m a Raider fan from Canada as well, and this piece of work called “joetoronto” should shut his trap. I’ve read enough comments from this idiot to believe he lives in his parents in suburban Toronto who doesn’t have a life. I would invite him to the black hole, which I attend twice a year…he would probably piss himself.

18. stairwayto7 says: Oct 7, 2012 9:38 PM

Oh William Pettry, I thought it read William Perry!

19. randomcommenter says: Oct 7, 2012 10:18 PM

i doubt this is sports related. Jags fans barely show up for the games, do you think they would actually kill for them?

20. thetechnocrat says: Oct 7, 2012 10:19 PM

“Police say Pettry was in Jacksonville to attend the Jaguars football game against the Chicago Bears.”
    -per nbc/abc first coast news

Bummer. Chair for both of the suspects!

21. rajbais says: Oct 8, 2012 12:28 AM

Prosecute to the fullest extent!!!

22. thegreatgabbert says: Oct 8, 2012 12:33 AM

Pretty much everyone who is murdered is a fan of some sports team or other. But it usually doesn’t have anything to do with why they were murdered.

That said, where was joetoronto when we wanted him in a Jax restaurant on Saturday night?

23. millerhour says: Oct 8, 2012 8:24 AM

I was at the game, and although the jax fans are somewhat delusional about the talent of their team, all of the jags fans I was near were good sports.

24. jnova80 says: Oct 8, 2012 11:48 AM

People in Jacksonville actually care about the Jags???

25. jm91rs says: Oct 8, 2012 4:43 PM

Heard some more of the story today….Homicide detective said “Our suspect … showed up, his wife was there with another friend, and for some reason, (Hinson-suspect) became jealous, enraged, whatever you want to call it and approached our victim, and according to one of the eyewitnesses calmly and basically cold-blooded just cut the victim’s throat and calmly walked out of the restaurant,”

Likely this is not related to him being a bears fan, or if it is he was just the target of a crazy man who was looking to hurt someone. Sad world we live in. This guy will rot in jail while the victim’s family suffers even longer.