Adrian Peterson has a mild ankle sprain

Adrian+Peterson+Tennessee+Titans+v+Minnesota+V-9rqa-vDjql AP

The last thing the Vikings need right now is for something to happen to upset the apple cart they’ve ridden to a 4-1 start.

A bad outcome on what happened to Adrian Peterson on the second play of Sunday’s win over the Titans, for example.

“The second play of the game I got my ankle rolled up and I was out of whack,” Peterson said, via FOXSportsNorth.com. “I was thinking about it too much. It was tender. I just had to come in in the second half and get some tape and adjust and refocus. I came out and did all right in the second half, but I just got to do better.”

Peterson returned to run seven times for 53 yards in the second half, which indicates the Vikings avoided that bad outcome. Coach Leslie Frazier confirmed it on Monday, telling the media that Peterson suffered a mild ankle sprain and, via Tom Pelissero of ESPN1500.com, “should be fine going forward.”

Peterson’s return has been a huge success through five games. He’s averaging 84 yards per game, his knee has responded well to a full workload and the last thing he needs is another nagging injury that would slow things down. It didn’t seem to be so much as a speed bump on Sunday, which is good news for the Vikings.

The news is less clear on receiver Jerome Simpson, who will have an MRI after experiencing weakness in his legs on Sunday. Frazier doesn’t expect Simpson to be out long, but the test results will provide the final diagnosis.

Permalink 11 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Minnesota Vikings, Rumor Mill
11 Responses to “Adrian Peterson has a mild ankle sprain”
  1. purpleguy says: Oct 8, 2012 2:03 PM

When I first saw him limping I thought it was his knee and was prepared to be bummed; however, I think he’s played on sprained ankles every year he’s been in the league.

2. fwippel says: Oct 8, 2012 2:10 PM

Wow. And next week Peterson gets to go back to Washington, where his season ended last year with that knee injury.

I’m sure he’d love nothing better than to rip it up in DC on Sunday and leave that bad memory in the dust. Here’s hoping he does it.

3. bcdunkel says: Oct 8, 2012 2:12 PM

That’s because Adrian Peterson is a beast and a freak of nature. Once scientists in the future study his DNA, they will be able to extend the human lifespan by 50+ years.

4. icecubeusedtobeangry says: Oct 8, 2012 2:13 PM

Dude is a beast….such a great player!

5. Carl Gerbschmidt says: Oct 8, 2012 2:15 PM

Good thing his next opponent doesn’t have a histroy of inflicting injury upon him…oh wait.

6. thankheavenfornumberseven says: Oct 8, 2012 2:49 PM

He looked bad in the first quarter, no doubt due to the ankle sprain. After that he looked fantastic, so I don’t see the ankle sprain being a big problem going forward.

7. titogetmesometissue says: Oct 8, 2012 3:21 PM

Sounds like bilateral leg weakness to me on Simpson. Looks like he is shaping up to be a bit of a bust. Good thing we don’t need him!

8. thankheavenfornumberseven says: Oct 8, 2012 4:34 PM

Carl Gerbschmidt says:Oct 8, 2012 2:15 PM

______

Hey Carl, thanks for beating the Bears for us. They’re our rival.

9. pack13queens0 says: Oct 8, 2012 11:25 PM

Peterson can’t handle being hit. He has no heart whatsoever.

10. vikefan says: Oct 9, 2012 12:35 PM

hearing from the experts bout heart who just blew a 21-3 halftime lead…..

11. thetokyosandblaster says: Oct 9, 2012 12:59 PM

Did he get his 250 yard game yet? Just wondering, because he played the worst team on their schedule.

If he didn’t, I don’t see 250 yards coming.