Reggie Wayne fought through “severe cramps” on final drive

Green Bay Packers v Indianapolis Colts Getty Images

The Colts’ stunning 30-27 win over the Packers has plenty of story lines.  Leave it to Mike Silver of Yahoo! Sports to dig up a new one.

Silver reports that receiver Reggie Wayne, who generated a career-high 212 receiving yards on Sunday, overcame “severe cramps” during the final drive of Sunday’s game.

But that’s what a guy sometimes does when trying to achieve a greater goal.

“We wanted to win this for Chuck [Pagano] so bad,” Wayne told Silver. “At halftime we were so pissed off at each other.  We didn’t play up to par.  We didn’t play like a team that was hungry.  We challenged each other, got in each others’ faces, said, ‘Hey, let’s be accountable to each other.  Let’s trust each other to go out and perform the way we know we can.’”

Trust is the key word.  It’s what helped keep Wayne in Indianapolis, thanks to a relationship with Coach Pagano that started 16 years ago, when Pagano was the receivers coach at the University of Miami and Wayne was a freshman wideout on the team.

“I was at home in Miami getting ready for free agency, my kids running around, nothing but noise, when I saw a ’317′ number flash across my phone,” Wayne explained. “I answered it to see what was up.  As soon as I heard the voice on the other line, I knew it was him. I’ve been knowing Chuck Pagano for a long time.  This is beyond ‘head coach.’  This is family.”

The Colts quickly are becoming family.  It’s an often hollow and overplayed sports intangible that, when it’s authentic and organic, can carry a team farther than the team otherwise would have gone.  Though it will be an uphill climb to take back the AFC South from the Texans, the Colts could finagle a wild-card berth — and they would be a very tough out in the postseason.

Permalink 31 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Indianapolis Colts, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
31 Responses to “Reggie Wayne fought through “severe cramps” on final drive”
  1. nflofficeadmin says: Oct 8, 2012 11:27 AM

C’mon get off silver’s bo-zak.

2. winkeroni says: Oct 8, 2012 11:28 AM

Not a Colts fan but Reggie Wayne looked like he belonged in Canton yesterday. He was catching everything even if he was double covered or being interfered with.

3. tiproast says: Oct 8, 2012 11:30 AM

I’m not a Colts fan, but Reggie Wayne has always had my respect.

Great hands, great routes, great attitude.

Pure football player.

4. eastsideballa says: Oct 8, 2012 11:30 AM

Severe cramps!? How did he ever survive!??

5. thekiller678 says: Oct 8, 2012 11:32 AM

Not gonna lie I thought the dude was done. Boy what a season he is having. Why are so few people talking about it?

Call me crazy but the AFC is weak this year and it wouldn’t shock me if the Colts managed to sneak into a wild card.

6. dwarftosser says: Oct 8, 2012 11:33 AM

Wayne was amazing. He should try to get cramps every week if they make him play like that.

7. skoobyfl says: Oct 8, 2012 11:39 AM

Reggie can catch with on arm held behind his bac.

8. 7swag7 says: Oct 8, 2012 11:40 AM

The Packers are looking more and more like a paper tiger every week.

9. blackdb says: Oct 8, 2012 11:41 AM

By the way Chuck Pagano was the DB coach at UM he was never the WR coach. Curtis Johnson was the WR coach.

10. Getoffmylawn! says: Oct 8, 2012 11:42 AM

Reggie Wayne overcame “severe cramps” during the final drive of Sunday’s game.
    Some of these football players are taking this breast cancer month more seriously than others.

11. irishgary says: Oct 8, 2012 11:44 AM

I’m a Packer fan and Reggie Wayne played a great game yesterday. It amazes me how the Packers could not adjust and stop one of the great receivers in the NFL.

Great second half by the colts.

12. maddenisfordorks says: Oct 8, 2012 11:45 AM

Jag fan here -

We hope, one day, we can have a single player on our entire roster that is 1/2 as good as RW.

13. aboveaveragejoe11 says: Oct 8, 2012 11:46 AM

Reggie Wayne put on a WR clinic. Again. Reggie caught everyone thrown his way, including a one-handed, somersaulting, ridiculous catch along the sidelines. One of the most dominant games I’ve ever seen for a WR.

14. freakish213 says: Oct 8, 2012 11:52 AM

Reggie Wayne was awesome yesterday. I’m a Packers fan and I was as impressed as ever with his showing. With that said, he’s already the hero of the day. It’s not news that an athlete dealt with some pain. I wish he weren’t in pain, but when you make the money he makes he should fight through it and so should every other dinged up, uncomfortable player in the league. That’s why we watch, to see the big time players play.

15. fuhq says: Oct 8, 2012 11:55 AM

Great second half Colts. Played with alot of heart. GOOD LUCK CHUCK!!!!!!!!!!!

16. WatchThis says: Oct 8, 2012 12:29 PM

As a Lion’s fan, I was extra pumped to see Wayne, with hands all over him, catching everything with one or two hands! Wish Stafford would get back to trusting Calvin Johnson to do the same thing.

17. cliffordc05 says: Oct 8, 2012 12:34 PM

This win is a great story that does not need the hype. So now the Colts are a postseason threat? Maybe if their owner went into rehab.

18. taintedlombardis says: Oct 8, 2012 12:35 PM

He certainly bailed out Andy “54 percent” Luck with some acrobatic and amazing catches…

19. johngaltwho says: Oct 8, 2012 1:02 PM

Agreed – incredible game by Reggie Wayne. Another painful loss for the Pack.

I remain however amused at the packer haters declaring the demise of the once great franchise.

As a Packer fan – It feels like a scene from Apollo 13.

“This could be the worst disaster NASA’s ever faced – With all due respect sir, I believe this is gonna be our finest hour. ”

Adversity is opportunity. Go Pack Go

20. myothernamewasblocked says: Oct 8, 2012 1:04 PM

Gotta give it to Wayne, he could have played anywhere else and chose to stick with the rook at QB. Stand up guy and is killin it early on this year.

21. torontofalcon says: Oct 8, 2012 1:11 PM

Reggie Wayne you are the man i salute you

22. crnvic847 says: Oct 8, 2012 1:14 PM

Reggie Wayne has always been an elite receiver IMO but it seems that Luck is making him an even better receiver (no disrespect to Manning at all.)

23. comeonnowguys says: Oct 8, 2012 1:19 PM

“our finest hour?”

Wow, I thought it was the Fox River that flowed through Green Bay, not De Nial.

24. 303bengalguy says: Oct 8, 2012 1:35 PM

Reggie Wayne probably should make Canton… There’s lesser guys already there. Class act too (he definitely bucks the stereotype of a player from “da U”).

Thank you for gutting it out Reggie! My fantasy W came as a direct result of your intestinal fortitude.

25. baloneyjohn says: Oct 8, 2012 1:38 PM

Good going Reggie. Luck may develop into a decent QB. He like Manning, was lucky to have you along “for the ride.”

26. turtlehut says: Oct 8, 2012 2:17 PM

I think Reggie’s performance yesterday disproves those who said his success came mainly because he had Peyton throwing to him.

27. dublindemonszfl says: Oct 8, 2012 2:30 PM

Fighting through cramps was a whole harder than fighting through a bad bad bad GB defense.

28. crnvic847 says: Oct 8, 2012 2:34 PM

@turtle

Exactly what I was trying to say.

29. ernie ernie says: Oct 8, 2012 2:35 PM

Actually it was the green bay Packer DB’s who were puking on the sidelines from cramps, trying to stop him for catching a hall of fame record day.

30. mccourty1sland says: Oct 8, 2012 2:35 PM

when i heard the pats wanted this guy last offseason, i was almost as happy as when we got randy for almost nothing. this guy is great, much respect.

31. stickesabado says: Oct 8, 2012 5:19 PM