Aaron Rodgers: I’m not playing my best football right now

Aaron+Rodgers+Green+Bay+Packers+v+Indianapolis+YcoEuY1y5-il Getty Images

The Packers are 2-3 and quarterback Aaron Rodgers thinks he’s a big part of the reason why the team has failed to meet expectations so far this season.

His play hasn’t been bad by most people’s standards. He’s completed 68.8 percent of his passes, thrown 10 touchdowns and four interceptions through the first four games. That’s good enough for a 97.0 passer rating, good for eighth in the league but well below the 122.5 mark of last season. That leaves Rodgers wanting more from himself.

“I haven’t played as well as the expectations are, obviously. The ones I put on myself, I like to think are as high or higher than the ones people outside put on me. It’s interesting to look at the stats for what they are and think I’m not playing my best football right now,” Rodgers said, via Jason Wilde of ESPNMilwaukee.com. “I set the bar high and I expect to play at a higher level. Been making just some mistakes I’m not used to making. Throwing the ball to the other team – I’ve done that four times already. I’m fortunate (Bears linebacker Lance) Briggs dropped one against Chicago as well. Just uncharacteristic of the way I’ve played. Made some checks that have been unproductive, missed some throws I’m accustomed to hitting. Haven’t played the way of the standard I’ve set.”

Rodgers dismissed the notion that Joe Philbin’s departure to become head coach in Miami has hurt the offense, although he said that he thinks injuries to Cedric Benson, Jermichael Finley and Greg Jennings have slowed the team. He saved most of the finger pointing for himself, however.

“My solemn promise is I’m going to work every day to get better. I’m going to clean up some of the things I’m not doing as well as I should. But, the proof is in the pudding. Right now I’m not getting it done. I’ve got to look at myself first,” Rodgers said.

There’s not too much to add to what Rodgers already said. The Packers haven’t had the success they expected to have this season and the quarterback is taking it upon himself to get the team back on track.

Permalink 46 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Green Bay Packers, Home, Rumor Mill
46 Responses to “Aaron Rodgers: I’m not playing my best football right now”
  1. icecubeusedtobeangry says: Oct 9, 2012 6:37 PM

Class Act!

2. contra74 says: Oct 9, 2012 6:39 PM

Aaron Rodgers: I’m not playing my best football right now
    ———
    Neither is the rest of your team – coaches included. Water boys and headsets too. Throw the fans in there too.

3. claymatthewsisonsteroids says: Oct 9, 2012 6:40 PM

Captain Obvious…

4. contra74 says: Oct 9, 2012 6:41 PM

I will tell you one thing – I hope my team does not make all sorts of commercials for deodorant, ticket exchanges, car insurance, fat heads, cell phones, etc. etc. because it appears that hollywood got to their minds rather than football.

5. gregm5s7 says: Oct 9, 2012 6:41 PM

A few small differences, the Packers are 4-1. A lot of that is their own fault, but with Houston on the schedule this week it’s hard to see them getting back on track before their bye.

With the amount of youth on the defensive side of the ball still getting better and Rodgers at the helm, I still fully expect them to make the playoffs, and be competitive.

6. neer music says: Oct 9, 2012 6:43 PM

the decline of kaaron rodgers..

7. tonymission says: Oct 9, 2012 6:43 PM

Nice to see some accountability from an NFL player. The Packers will get hot, but will it be enough?

8. sweetnlow44 says: Oct 9, 2012 6:44 PM

My goodness. Reading that quote makes my head hurt.

9. schmitty2 says: Oct 9, 2012 6:46 PM

Philbin leaving and Jennings being hurt I can understand but the past 2 years the Pack won DESPITE “Butterfingers” Finley and no running game to speak off so not sure exactly what Rodgers means there

10. franklinandbashandflorio says: Oct 9, 2012 6:46 PM

State Farm jinx.

11. thehatefulnerd says: Oct 9, 2012 6:50 PM

When they throw 70$ of the time, they are 2-8. When they throw less than that they are 29-2.

We all know what needs to be done.

12. Peter Venkman says: Oct 9, 2012 6:57 PM

contra74 says:
    Oct 9, 2012 6:39 PM

**************************************
    Don’t worry, dude. The Vikings will never get within 1,000 miles of Hollywood. Well, except for when they almost moved to L.A.

13. kev86 says: Oct 9, 2012 7:06 PM

To think they were 15-1 before the G-men handed them a severe beating.

14. baloneyjohn says: Oct 9, 2012 7:14 PM

Greg Jenning’s handling of thta groin pull, was not even Pop Warner. Terrible decisions

15. stellarperformance says: Oct 9, 2012 7:17 PM

The Texans are doomed. This roller coaster of a team will be focused and impressive. It’s just a matter of a few weeks until the planets are all aligned again.

16. purplengold says: Oct 9, 2012 7:18 PM

Nice to see, two and three.

17. MCxShow says: Oct 9, 2012 7:21 PM

You’re welcome Mr. Alper for me fixing your mistake:

“He’s completed 68.8 percent of his passes, thrown 10 interceptions and four interceptions through the first four games.”

But remember, he’s played five games, not four.

18. notthathand says: Oct 9, 2012 7:23 PM

Throw the damn ball away!

19. ddogdaddy says: Oct 9, 2012 7:24 PM

Still like the discount double check commercials.

20. whatjusthapped says: Oct 9, 2012 7:24 PM

I am less worried about the Packers being 2-3 than most Viking fans are on the Vikings being 4-1. There is a thing called talent and all things being equal, it shows up over a 16 game season.

21. squared80 says: Oct 9, 2012 7:30 PM

P.S. I blame the refs for everything.

22. andrewproughcfe says: Oct 9, 2012 7:38 PM

Aaron Rodgers: I’m not playing my best football right now

============================

However, the Packer’s defense IS playing as well as they are capable. So good, in fact, they might just break their own record from last season for all-time NFL defensive ineptitude.

23. VikesPrincess (Lisa) says: Oct 9, 2012 7:53 PM

The Packers’ o-line is not helping, but Rodgers doesn’t look the same as other years for sure.

24. sobora says: Oct 9, 2012 8:07 PM

I love Rodgers, but he needs to stop hanging onto the ball. The fear of not being perfect is holding him back from taking necessary risks. Yeah, he’s getting sacked a lot, but those sacks aren’t all the line’s fault. He needs to throw the ball away, move out of the pocket, take risks. DO SOMETHING other than hold back and accept a sack.

25. fuzzynuts55 says: Oct 9, 2012 8:09 PM

What the heck? Humility from the packers? Wow! About time.!

26. draculalambert says: Oct 9, 2012 8:24 PM

the NFL is smart…the book is out on these guys and , to some extent, have been figured out. Jordy & Company not doing a whole lot….sure, they’re as talented as anyone but I doubt we see them light up everyone in the same manner as before.

27. chi01town says: Oct 9, 2012 8:31 PM

Yes you are Rodgers the differance is the season wasnt short because of a lockout. an the rest of the NFL had a chance to get ready. an your offense has been exposed too… Add on the fact that Jennings dont want to play for Greenbay because he knows they wont pay him after this season.

28. threedeep1998 says: Oct 9, 2012 8:34 PM

Packers just keep beating themselves

29. gpack22 says: Oct 9, 2012 8:48 PM

Maybe if McCarthy would call a running play every now and then to keep the D-line honest. How about quick throws when the OL gets beat every play!! MM is having a worse season as play caller than AR is throwing.

30. leatherface2012 says: Oct 9, 2012 9:24 PM

he’s not playing the best football, but he is in the most ads!!

31. hatesycophants says: Oct 9, 2012 9:29 PM

Rodgers then crapped his diaper and demanded to be changed.

32. lambeauandlombardi says: Oct 9, 2012 9:34 PM

contra74 says:Oct 9, 2012 6:41 PM

…………………………………………………………………….

Don`t lose a second of sleep over it. Your team has to win something first, like say a Superbowl, before that happens.

33. vikefan says: Oct 9, 2012 9:58 PM

threedeep1998 says:Oct 9, 2012 8:34 PM

Packers just keep beating themselves

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    too bad they dont keep playing themselves

ps…..no blaming the refs? his honesty & humility a shock & wakeup call for packer nation

34. shaggytoodle says: Oct 9, 2012 10:21 PM

notthathand says:Oct 9, 2012 7:23 PM

Throw the damn ball away!
    ____________________

Why so he can get clobbered anyway, then flagged for intentional grounding?

Most the time when he eats it, hes in the tackle box.

He is right no one is playing to the level they are expected, but hopefully Packers can hit thier stride like they did a few seasons ago.

35. randygnyc says: Oct 9, 2012 10:47 PM

Rodgers said, “Made some checks that have been unproductive, missed some throws I’m accustomed to hitting”.

Better double your efforts and don’t discount your opponents.

36. thetokyosandblaster says: Oct 9, 2012 10:54 PM

Contra showing his jealousy and Chi10town showing he’s 11 tops.

These are constants in the world of PFT Packer posts.

These two make me realize that my life could be so much worse. They’re like a 3rd world country!

37. thankheavenfornumberseven says: Oct 9, 2012 11:01 PM

The Packers’ success is based on Rodgers being almost perfect. Now that he isn’t, they’re finding out their strategy wasn’t the best way to build a team.

38. dougy1970 says: Oct 9, 2012 11:41 PM

Nobody has ever beaten the Packers. Not the Giants last year in playoffs, not the 49ers nor Colts this year. Ya see, the Packers just beat themselves.

And the replacement refs only hurt the Packers (to His Highness Aaron Rodgers ”disappointment”). The regular refs are also only hurt the Packers (to His Highness Aaron Rodgers ”disappointment”).

And I love the fresh new spin on ”Vikings to LA” witty jabs. Now they are written in past conditional tense in order to, um, keep them present. ”If the Vikings had moved to LA … (insert witty jab)”

Bottom line on the 2012 Pack: This is a holier-than-thou, self-satisfied, and arrogant team. This is a team that tries to win games by playing sneaky, cunning, rule-bending football. They don’t play hard & straight anymore. They aren’t hungry.

And Clay Mathews dies his breck girl hair and fakes like he is getting held to draw penalties.

39. purplengold says: Oct 10, 2012 12:11 AM

discount double choke

40. dukeeddy says: Oct 10, 2012 2:01 AM

See Jay…that’s how it is done! When the team isn’t doing well, maybe it is the quarterback.

41. 22much4ken says: Oct 10, 2012 5:31 AM

If the lousy defense can’t help the packers hang onto a 18 point lead – then it’s time for a new defensive coordinator – same lousy defense as last year !! Good bye Dom capers good riddance

42. cags777 says: Oct 10, 2012 8:16 AM

I can appreciate the humility and accountability Aaron Rodgers has for himself. The same can’t be said about his other teammates like Jermichael Finley (and his agent) and some of their fans who troll sites like this. I know they’re a better team than the way they’ve performed and hope they can turn it around.

43. kansacity88 says: Oct 10, 2012 8:44 AM

Or maybe it’s NOT the QB and a slow a$$ play caller, a WR that runs a third down route three yards short of the sticks, or even an offensive (using that term loosely) line that couldn’t protect a jar of cookies from a toddler! If I was getting planted like a petunia every other pass play, I’d be pissed off too!

44. CKL says: Oct 10, 2012 11:43 AM

McCarthy will call run plays when he has a good RB. Saints fans can attest to that (McAllister). He doesn’t have a good RB right now. I don’t think that’s a problem that can be fixed right now though. No matter how outstanding your QB is, one dimensional offenses can get you only so far when you don’t have a good enough defense. Why do you think the Pats went all buck wild (FINALLY, have been begging for it for years) with getting their run game on track? A great run game helps the defense AND the offense.

45. tiffpats4eva says: Oct 11, 2012 1:12 PM

Shorter Aaron Rodgers: I am not playing the best football right now and I can blame the refs for that.

46. tiffpats4eva says: Oct 11, 2012 1:14 PM

Has he apologized to the fans yet?