Bradshaw gripes about another quarterback

bradshawnollGETTY1972x Getty Images

Hall of Fame quarterback Terry Bradshaw made his bones in broadcasting as a happy-go-lucky sort.  Now, he’s not happy.  He’s not lucky.  And he doesn’t go.

Except in the middle of the night.  Five or six times.

Bradshaw has been ripping modern quarterbacks lately.  On Sunday, he criticized Bears quarterback Jay Cutler for disrespecting one of his coaches.

I know I would never act like that,’’ Bradshaw said of Cutler’s get-up-and-walk-away from offensive coordinator Mike Tice, via the Chicago Sun-Times.  ‘‘I would show respect to the head coach and offensive coordinator. . . .  If I were you, I would learn how to be a little bit nicer. I know you don’t care, and nor do I care if I ever sit down and do an interview with you — which I have yet to do. Maybe there’s a reason for that. I like everybody. I’d like to like you, but right now I don’t like you.  Grow up, young man.’’

Now, Bradshaw has criticized Saints quarterback Drew Brees for showing too much respect to his coaches, via a request that they be unsuspended for the game in which Brees broke a 52-year-old record.

I was a little upset that [Brees] went to the NFL to get [coach Sean] Payton and everybody back to watch him break a record,” Bradshaw said on WFAN in New York, via USA Today.  “I’m like, ‘Are you kidding me?’  I never would have gone and asked for them back. . . .  I thought it was disrespectful to the San Diego Chargers. . . .  So break it, go ahead.  Hell, you’re throwing it 50 times a game. . . .  I’m just against stuff like that.  I just don’t believe in doing stuff like that.”

Terry likely will complete the “get off my lawn” trifecta when Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger breaks Bradshaw’s franchise record for career passing yards.  The only question is who Terry will claim that Ben has disrespected.

Permalink 61 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Chicago Bears, Home, New Orleans Saints, Pittsburgh Steelers, Rumor Mill
61 Responses to “Bradshaw gripes about another quarterback”
  1. pftbad says: Oct 10, 2012 11:47 PM

I thought Terry Bradshaw had died……..at least that’s what some overanxious website reported.

2. brenenostler says: Oct 10, 2012 11:56 PM

I lost all respect for Brees awhile back anyway. “18.5 mil a year isn’t good enough for me.” Dude Eli took a pay cut to keep some good players on the Giants.

3. rickastleydancemoves says: Oct 11, 2012 12:13 AM

When I think of the all-time great quarterbacks, Terry Bradshaw has never crossed my mind.

4. mikewhorio says: Oct 11, 2012 12:14 AM

I actually said the same thing about Brees during the game. Seemed like a big time ego move to me. “Hey guys, wanna come see me break a record?” Get over yourself dude.

5. vincentbojackson says: Oct 11, 2012 12:21 AM

I think Terry’s got a little Jim Brown in him. Both are frustrated ex-athletes that seem to direct their anger at those still playing the game.

That being said, Bradshaw is correct about Cutler being an a-hole. On the other hand, if you have a problem with Drew Brees you probably need to look in the mirror.

6. dustinq says: Oct 11, 2012 12:23 AM

Terry Bradshaw is awesome.

Brees is a baby. Shave your head. We all know you’re balding Drew. Oh, and quit with the false humility. You love the attention.

Cutler…well…he’s an idiot.

7. catquick says: Oct 11, 2012 12:24 AM

He’ll cash in big on the concussion lawsuits.

8. kwalk4780 says: Oct 11, 2012 12:47 AM

He’s right on point. Brees is an ego-maniac. He continues to get a pass because he’s perceived as a nice guy. He will say its all about the “team” in front of cameras but he is all about himself. Good for Terry to call him on the carpet.

9. dc9sports63 says: Oct 11, 2012 12:57 AM

Bradshaw not shy on what he feel!!!

10. phuriousjorge says: Oct 11, 2012 1:12 AM

The smartest man on the tube. Give it a rest Terry.

11. synysterjman says: Oct 11, 2012 1:14 AM

I honestly do not watch cbs’s pre game show cause I think they have little broadcasting talent besides James brown who deserves more air time. Terry thinks highly of himself. It’s a different century since you played man. Chill. I respect drew for what he did to get SP there and the rest of the suspended saints higher ups and that’s coming from a pats fan.

12. jonking89 says: Oct 11, 2012 1:29 AM

Bradshaw is no longer relevant.

13. thestrategyexpert says: Oct 11, 2012 1:30 AM

It’s not Terry’s fault. Didn’t you know that he’s just Doc Brown from BTF after simultaneously banging his head while experiencing a time travel mishap?

He’s handicapped with “temporal” brain damage.

14. mazblast says: Oct 11, 2012 1:33 AM

As a Steelers fan, I loved Bradshaw as a player, good, bad, or ugly, but as an analyst, he’s a bigger jerk than Cutler sometimes is.

The game has changed since your day, Terry. Back then, it was defense, then running game, then passing game. Now it’s passing game, passing game, passing game, defense, and defense. Time for you to realize it’s a different NFL than the one you played in; perhaps you should adapt, or else just go away.

It’s also time for your Metamucil, because it seems like you need it.

15. blackngold4life says: Oct 11, 2012 1:35 AM

Lol Bradshaw is like a lot of the Old school players..they weren’t pre-madonas, they went out and playd the game,to hell with breaking a record (maybe except for Mercury Morris that 72 Dolphin team) but I can kinda understand Breed wanting them to ne there..kinda

16. hallcyon says: Oct 11, 2012 2:16 AM

Context: Brees plays on a passing team, in a passing pro football period. Bradshaw played on a run heavy offense, so for him to compare such is absurd. This is one of the biggest records in sports, let alone in football.

As for being disrespectful to San Diego – then San Diego should have shut the Saints down and won, which every other opponent has done so far. Terry Bradshaw puts up as much trash talk as any current player, so his commentary is hypocritical. Whatever Terry, maybe next time you can complain about something that has merit.

17. dougy1970 says: Oct 11, 2012 2:48 AM

For all the good that he does in the community, Brees is nonetheless the League’s biggest egomaniac.

The fact that Brees feels entitled to lobby the league to let Payton be attendance for this over-valued record is a joke.

And, please, don’t make us watch Brees lead the fire-up chant before games. Shouldn’t a linebacker lead this? Does everything about the Saints have to be about Brees?

18. 76raiders says: Oct 11, 2012 2:50 AM

It was the year 1997, at Hollywood Park, the event was Breeders Cup. The Super Bowl of Horse racing. The hot trainer at the time, was Hall of Famer, D. Wayne Lukas. Following him around that day like a puppy dog was Terry Bradshaw. After one of the races my friend and I were near the paddock and happened to bump into Bradshaw. We both introduced ourselves and Ol’ Terry turned a cold shoulder as if we didn’t even have the right to exist. I thought to myself, what an a-hole. A few races later we were on the rail of the paddock in the post parade, and Bradshaw who was still following Lukas, was right in our range when my friend yelled to him, ” Hey Bradshaw if you didn’t have your head so far up D. Wayne Lukas’ A-hole, you might acknowledge when a couple fans are trying to greet you.” I believe Lukas got shut out that day, Bradshaw was his cooler, bringing in all that bad energy. I’ll never forget that day because as soon as he heard my friend yell at him his face turned red.

19. 76raiders says: Oct 11, 2012 3:03 AM

Dusting,

Your right Brees has a total horse shoe coming in and within five years he’ll have about as much hair as Bradshaw, which isn’t very much. Bree’s has some serious Male Pattern Baldness going on but with that huge contract he signed he can finally get the Bosley Hair Restoration kit, he’s so desperately needs. I’m sick of everyone stroking his ego, as if it’s not big enough on that gigantic cranium that’s attached to his miniature body. Bree’s has done a lot of good in his community and is a solid family man. He is a prolific passer who is one of the games best. Put all that aside and at the end of the day he’s got a serious horseshoe forming. Good luck with the Bosley Medical procedure. Adios amigos!!!

20. 76raiders says: Oct 11, 2012 3:20 AM

Lets call a spade a spade. Cutler is the ultimate dooche-bag. What was more nauseating than watching Cutler behave like a three-year-old was that OC Mike Tice sat there like a lost dummy, looking for Mommy, letting Cutler completely disrespect him. The Bears have a pretty awesome team except one problem Jay. Like Charles Woodson once said,” Jay will be Jay and throw the ball to the other team.” The dude is a selfish pr-ck, and he looks like Chandler on Friends. There’s about ten players in the NFL that Id like to B-Slap, and Cutler is on the top of that list. Like Joe Theismann said about Tony Romo,” he’s just not that good.” I think the same thing applies here with Jay. The dudes ego is so big I’m surprised his helmet even fits on that hair helmet of his. Theres something wrong with his Monticello. Total loser, new nickname for him Jay “The Jerk” Cutler. Sounds appropriate for a man who acts like an infant.

21. 76raiders says: Oct 11, 2012 3:30 AM

What do Jay Cutler and Ben Roethlisberger have that Drew Bree’s and Terry Bradshaw don’t.

Answer: A full head of hair.

What do BR7, Bradshaw, and Bree’s have that Cutler doesn’t?

Answer a Super Bowl Ring.

22. tluke25 says: Oct 11, 2012 3:39 AM

While I may not always agree with his stances toward Brees and Roethlisberger, I don’t think there’s any body in North America (Chicago included) that doesn’t think that Cutler is a complete moron. He’s never displayed much common sense off the field or on.

23. wingsrule12 says: Oct 11, 2012 3:51 AM

Can someone please muzzle TB. He is speaking before he thinks again. #1 Brees want Sean Payton there because it was Payton that took a chance on him when no other team would. How has that worked out? Super Bowl MVP, record for most yards in a season, and now most consecutive games with a td pass. #2 where is Bradshaw’s outrage about Unitas’ son being at the game. Bradshaw is the main reason I don’t watch the Fox pre game show

24. LilTmac2003 says: Oct 11, 2012 4:09 AM

Oh the irony. Bradshaw is all over the place.

First he says that Brees calling up all of his close colleagues an egotistical move. Disrespectful to the Chargers. Now that might be true. But look at all the quotes that Terry Bradshaw is saying…

“I would never do that.”
    “I play to win and win Super Bowls.”
    “I was a little upset.”
    “I would never have gone and ask for them.”

Bradshaw, saying Brees “disrespected the Chargers” is one thing, but it’s all about you in every interview? Sure it’s all about your opinion, but I didn’t know that all NFL players revolved around you.

Than he says “I would never disrespect a coach” regarding Cutler. Of course you won’t. Well Cutler is 9-1 in his last 10 games I believe. He’s “playing to win and win Super Bowls”. C’mon now.

25. joetoronto says: Oct 11, 2012 4:52 AM

The man tells like like it is, he’s right about Cutler and he’s right about Brees.

This is the way it used to be, kids. People actually had an opinion on things and they spoke their mind.

It was an amazing time. SMH.

26. saintsfan1111 says: Oct 11, 2012 5:20 AM

He was nothing without the steel curtain.

27. elchief157 says: Oct 11, 2012 5:23 AM

Bradshaw talks too much

28. steelmeats says: Oct 11, 2012 5:51 AM

He already had his I hate you moment with roethlisberger a few years ago

29. denverscott says: Oct 11, 2012 6:06 AM

brenenostler says: Oct 10, 2012 11:56 PM

—————————————————–
    So did Elway. That’s how you go back to back. The greats are team players, Brees is not.He’ll never reach the big stage again due to his petulant, selfish actions. He’s a tool and he flaunts it everyday.

30. tdbragg says: Oct 11, 2012 6:09 AM

Terry is 100% dead on the money concerning Jay Cutler . Cutler is a talented player , but his arrogance with other teammates and coaches is rediculous . If you have a problem with a teammate or coach , you settle it like a man behind closed doors . You dont do it in front of a camera for the entire world to see . Cutler needs to grow up and stop acting like a ten year old everytime something doesnt go his way .

31. bobzilla1001 says: Oct 11, 2012 6:25 AM

mazblast:
    You are absolutely right: the game has changed.
    Yet in today’s (Thursday) Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, Roethlisberger’s career numbers are compared to Bradshaw’s through their first 117 career starts. Even though Bradshaw was drafted by a 1-13 team, shockingly, their numbers are nearly similiar.
    I won’t bore you with the details, but the T-R is beyond excited that it’s beloved Big Ben compares so favorably to the Steelers’ four-time Super Bowl-winning QB.
    It’s all very laughable.
    Instead of comparing Roethlisberger to, say, Tom Brady, the Trib decided to compare him to a quarterback who last threw a football in 1983.

32. tommy57 says: Oct 11, 2012 6:44 AM

Regardless of my personal thoughts about Terry, he’s right – about both Cutler and Brees.

And Mike’s probably right – Big Ben’s next on the hate list.

33. thebigtebowski says: Oct 11, 2012 7:01 AM

Who watches pre shows anyway? It’s some of the worst television out there. Just a bunch of no nothing blowhards that make you stupider every time you listen to a phrase that comes spouting out of their no nothing faces. Even the fantasy football “experts” on the red zone channel suck. Just get your food and beverages set up and turn the tv on at 1 o’clock.

34. kane337 says: Oct 11, 2012 7:13 AM

Drew Brees needs an explanation.

35. larryboodry says: Oct 11, 2012 7:21 AM

@ synysterjman…I don’t watch the CBS pre-game, either, I watch FOX, which is actually where Bradshaw and Brown are employed…Except for Ditka, I don’t even know who the CBS guys are.

I like Terry Bradshaw, especially when he does the Leno show…There he comes off as warm and funny, a real down-to-earth guy…On FOX he needs to tone it down, especially ripping on modern-era guys. And I doubt Jay Cutler is losing any sleep over not getting interviewed by any member of the media, least of all one who acts as if those he chooses to question should be eternally grateful for the honor.

36. whatjusthapped says: Oct 11, 2012 7:29 AM

I have to agree with Bradshaw on both Cutler and Brees. Somebody has to speak out on it so it might as well be a multiple Superbowl winning QB.

For those of you who disagree with his opinions, go win a bunch of Superbowls first and then maybe somebody will care what you think.

37. grpatriot says: Oct 11, 2012 7:31 AM

Well, it is the me, me it’s all about me generation!
    Respect is a rare commodity in general today..not just Football….
    Brees did break the record and props for that however, Johnny U is resposible for the modern style of passing game we have today. He was doing it when no one else could. (1960)
    Poking fun at Terry, well he’s used to that! The Steeler fans gave him a hard time. Until the 4 SB’s…
    Hell even look at the article, Except in the middle of the night. Five or six times. Yeah it’s hillarious getting older…I just hope your prostrate gland doesn’t betray you Mike?

38. miles58a says: Oct 11, 2012 7:41 AM

Everyone who has no records but has a superbowl ring says that stats are not important. Same as this past summer everyone was trying to see which one was better, to be in the HOF or having a superbowl ring the one’s that didn’t have a ring said the HOF meant more then having a ring and the one’s with the ring that did not make it into the HOF said the ring meant more. Drew Brees is good enough to have all three and that makes people jealous

39. ggreen7 says: Oct 11, 2012 7:44 AM

I hate the Steelers but Bradshaw is so right on with this.

40. jmsincla says: Oct 11, 2012 7:48 AM

I love how everyone here thinks ‘Brees is an egomaniac behind closed doors’. Really? Do you know Brees or do you just choose to dislike him?

It’s okay to say you don’t like a player but it’s a bit silly to sit atop your high-horse passing judgment and branding player x selfish just because he’s breaking records left and right.

Here’s a thought, maybe Brees knew that him breaking a record would be a good excuse to get his coaches in the stadium. But, unlike others, I’m not going to claim to know his motives.

41. joh3092 says: Oct 11, 2012 8:08 AM

Frankly, a guy who once inadvertently reported a guy is dead should not make incontinence jokes.

But anyway, Bradshaw’s an interesting guy to ever criticize QBs, especially considering his struggles in performing his first four or so years in the league after being the 1st pick in the draft in 1970 — how else to explain how Joe Gilliam once beat him out as starter of the Steelers. He certainly had an inferiority complex and a deep need for Chuck Noll’s approval, which makes his complaints about how someone acts towards coaches particularly interesting.

42. melikefootball says: Oct 11, 2012 8:14 AM

Not for much of Bradshaw’s pre game rants but I have to say watching Brees, he has become full of himself. The darling of the South has lost all but one game and is going around giving his take on the bounty as if he is someone important. His ego is out doing his performance.

43. gmsingh says: Oct 11, 2012 8:23 AM

Cutler is easy to bitch about–let’s see Bradshaw (and Bill Cowher, who whines about Cutler constantly) take the high road and talk about what’s most important–winning football games.

Cowher is especially pathetic–he doesn’t want to seem to discuss Big Ben’s criminal record on TV.

44. johnnybgood19 says: Oct 11, 2012 8:25 AM

Bradshaw is old school no doubt. And one could say that he is a better talker than he was a quarterback(???) But I thought that Brees asking the league to allow his coaches to be at the game when a 52 year old record was broken was a classy act by a classy guy…. Sorry Terry you’re wrong on this call.

45. latrobe21 says: Oct 11, 2012 8:27 AM

Bradshaw had more mental and physical toughness than any qb to ever play the game. I’ll never forget Turkey Jones planting him head-first into the turf. I thought he killed Bradshaw, but Terry came back into the game after the half. Big Ben might surpass him, though, by the time he’s done playing as toughest, ever.

46. SeenThisB4 says: Oct 11, 2012 8:27 AM

I doubt that anybody in the Chargers organization felt disrespected by Brees or by Payton being there. However, it’s a good bet they felt disrespected by some of the calls that went against them during that game, NOW THAT I AM SURE OF.

Everybody knows that Bradshaw has diminished to being nothing but the butt end of jokes by other sports reporters and late night talk-show hosts.

Hey Terry: Nobody cares what you have to say anymore. You’ve undermined your own credibility.

47. ziggy26 says: Oct 11, 2012 8:40 AM

I agree with Bradshaw. Seemed like Brees was making a very big deal about breaking an individual record. Honestly, I don’t see Tom Brady or even Peyton Manning doing something like that.

We might find out, I think Brady is only a few games behind Drew Brees for that record.

48. koenig61 says: Oct 11, 2012 8:54 AM

Mr. F. Always the funny man with your quotes…. “Now, he’s not happy. He’s not lucky. And he doesn’t go. Except in the middle of the night. Five or six times.”

OMG Mike you are hilarious! I wonder how come you never ever make these sort of comments about Tony Dungey, Chris Collinsworth, or Rodney Harrison? Could it be because you work for MSNBC, and you would have to face those guys at work every Sunday? I wonder if you would make these supposedly funny comments about Tery if instead you worked for FOX TV and had to face Terry every Sunday?

Where are the steroid jokes about Rodney Harrison? Where are the giraffe neck jokes about Chris Collinsworth? How about the love fest jokes about Dungey and Peyton Manning? Maybe in Terrys comments on FOX this weekend, he should talk about a very short reporter from another network who always seems to bring the heat to his columns, but who cant bring it in the bedroom?

49. geraldthecat says: Oct 11, 2012 9:05 AM

He was right on both.

50. schmitty2 says: Oct 11, 2012 9:43 AM

synysterjman says:Oct 11, 2012 1:14 AM

Your rant might be taken more seriously if you actually knew what pregame show Bradshaw was on.

51. ncsteeler says: Oct 11, 2012 10:04 AM

Puting aside the question of whether Bradshaw is a jerk at times, when Unitas played he averaged a little under 200 yds/game passing. How many QBs averaged over 300 last year? JU’s QB rating (for what that’s worth) was in Mark Sanchez/Matt Cassell territory. The most TD’s he threw in a season was 32 – where do you think that puts him on the all-time list?

The arguement that the game is different than when TB let alone JU played would seem to argue for Bress taking a humble attitude toward these records. The way the passing game is favored in today’s NFL any of the passing records are due to be broken and broken repeatedly. If in a few years Adrian Peterson is closing in on Emitt Smith’s record, that’ll be newsworthy.

52. broncosnative says: Oct 11, 2012 10:15 AM

What drew brees did is something you expect from a kid. Take Peyton manning for example, he recently broke two records this season, didn’t see him jumping up for joy, calling up everybody saying, “hey I’m about to pass Elway with my next TD pass, wanna come see me do it?” When you’re throwing 50 times a game, you’re bound to throw one TD pass, not a big deal

53. digital muscles says: Oct 11, 2012 10:24 AM

The response in the Cutler household went like this…….oh wait there was no response. Jay Cutler does not give one iota what anyone thinks. For that very reason people hate him. He is not going to change, ever. Stop trying.

54. cowboylover says: Oct 11, 2012 10:29 AM

blackngold4life: Your youth is showing. It’s prima donna, as in “first lady” in opera or dance. She usually has a sense of entitlement, thus the modern usage. Even Cowboy fans have a little knowledge. :)

55. meandjuliojonesdownbytheschoolyard says: Oct 11, 2012 11:41 AM

Bradshaw is right on. How self indulgent of Brees.

56. siggy00 says: Oct 11, 2012 12:21 PM

“He doesn’t talk to me. He doesn’t call me, but he makes these statements. He ought to just keep his mouth shut and pay attention to the draft and take care of business.”

-Terry Bradshaw to Chuck Noll February 1984

I’ll never sit behind a second year man. It’s obvious Noll will have to make a decison at the end of the year. I really don’t mind if I don’t start. But Terry (Hanratty) is young and I’m young. If the coach says he’s no. 1 then fine, ship me out”

-Terry Bradshaw Nov 3 1970 (Two months into his pro career)

“I’m going to tell it straight, that yes, I’d love to be traded”

-Terry Bradshaw September 12 1974

“I kept hearing I’d be traded to San Francisco. Man I would love that. I even went so far as to go into the locker room singing ‘I left my heart in San Francisco’. Nobody laughed or said a word. I figured maybe I’d get my wish”

-Terry Bradshaw September 12 1974

57. shlort says: Oct 11, 2012 12:45 PM

Bradshaw played the game at a different time. That is why he feels the way he does about some of todays players. Players used to play soley for the love of the game. Now, they play because they love it and because they love how much money they make playing.

Lets be realistic here. Bradshaw is more right than he is wrong. Todays players look out for themselves first. Additionally, they are a bunch of whining sissies. Sure, they are tough, but they expect stardom to come with a different set of rules for them above others.

Selfish players didnt exist in Bradshaws time like they do today. So, I’d say Terry hit the nail on, or near, the head.

58. chi01town says: Oct 11, 2012 2:19 PM

I use to like Bradshaw… I know he aint talking against Chicago Cutler too? well Bradshaw you need to shut up cause while you an Dan Pompei is talking ” Chicago Cutler” is Winning.. 9 out of his last 10 starts. Let the Chicago Bears deal with there starting QB. you just call the game an if you dont want to talk to the winning QB then Cutler will have no problem with that.

59. larryboodry says: Oct 11, 2012 2:28 PM

LilTmac2003 says: Oct 11, 2012 4:09 AM

Oh the irony. Bradshaw is all over the place.

“I would never do that.”
    “I play to win and win Super Bowls.”
    “I was a little upset.”
    “I would never have gone and ask for them.”

———————————————
    Yeah, Cutler is 9-1 in his last ten starts, and 23-9 in his last 32…Bradshaw seems to have forgotten his own comments back in the day, he was more disrespectful of the Steelers than Cutler has ever been of the Bears.

60. dallascowboysdishingthereal says: Oct 11, 2012 4:57 PM

Can’t understand why networks hold on to these cranky old guys like Bradshaw that haven’t played football in decades. What do they really add?

61. Deb says: Oct 11, 2012 5:25 PM

Thanks, siggyoo, for saving me the trouble of looking up those quotes. Terry’s frosty relationship with Coach Noll was well-known to Steelers fans. In fact, many of the behaviors Terry now judges so harshly in other QBs are behaviors he commonly indulged as a player. Perhaps his greatest flaw as an analyst is a short memory. But those saying he’s irrelevant certainly have it wrong. If he were irrelevant, so many people wouldn’t be so anxious to comment–pro or con–every time he voices an opinion.

Oh well … whatever I think of his crazy comments today, he’ll always be the guy who led my team to four Super Bowl wins. He’s banked a lot of tolerance with me.