Carlos Rogers not afraid to do his own version of the salsa again

Green Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers is sacked by San Francisco 49ers cornerback Carlos Rogers in the first half during their NFL football game in Green Bay, Wisconsin Reuters

Carlos Rogers admires Victor Cruz’s dancing.

But he’s not going to back down from doing it himself, even if Cruz takes offense.

I like the dance, actually,” the 49ers cornerback said, via Matt Barrows of the Sacramento Bee. “I really can’t do it as good as him but. But if I make a play or get an interception on him in my mind, just do his dance.”

Rogers did his version of the dance after an interception in their regular season win over the Giants, and Cruz said prior to the NFC Championship Game it was a “little disrespectful.”

He devoted a longer passage in his book “Out of the Blue,” to it as well.

“Then with his teammates cheering him on, he did a sarcastic salsa dance over me,” Cruz wrote. “The Candlestick Park crowd went ballistic, but I wasn’t laughing. It was a sign of disrespect. Instead of getting up and retaliating, though, I sat and watched Rogers finish his cheap Victor Cruz imitation. I promised to never forget it. I wasn’t sure when the opportunity would present itself but I was confident I’d get payback for that dance.”

Cruz proceeded to catch eight passes for 125 yards in the first half of the NFC Championship Game, and has been an a similar roll this season, tied for the league lead in touchdown receptions, and in the top 10 in both receptions and yardage.

That matters much more than the dance, but the dance is adding a little spice to a game that won’t need much more.

Permalink 31 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, New York Giants, Rumor Mill, San Francisco 49ers
31 Responses to “Carlos Rogers not afraid to do his own version of the salsa again”
  1. huffdaddyco says: Oct 10, 2012 8:40 AM

What? You don’t think that stupid dance is disrespectful every time you do it Victor? I am so sick of every touchdown celebration out there. Everyone – Show some class, hand the ball to the ref, and run back to the sidelines.

2. explosionsauce says: Oct 10, 2012 8:45 AM

Victor Cruz is very talented but not creatively. That dance is getting older than the predator pose.

3. clarkisgod says: Oct 10, 2012 8:46 AM

At least these 2 will dance after TD’s or Int’s. Most of the clowns these days jump around for a 12 yard catch or a tackle for minimal gain. I hope to see them both dancing at least once, it’s fun for the game and fans.

4. lgbarn says: Oct 10, 2012 8:49 AM

Why not, the Lambeau leep is done in other stadiums so who cares.

5. hendeeze says: Oct 10, 2012 9:01 AM

Carlos did a “sarcastic dance over me”, it was a sign of disrespect. This is how grown men get their feelings hurt. They don’t make em like they used too…

6. goldrush36 says: Oct 10, 2012 9:13 AM

And cruz doesn’t think it’s disrespectful to catch a pass over the middle then drop down to avoid getting hit. Then immediately jump up and salsa dance or gloat in general? That said Carlos quit talkin tough and adding motivation because Culliver had to bail you out in coverage responsibilities in the NFCCG after you got torched the whole first half.

7. knackstermyea says: Oct 10, 2012 9:23 AM

Just hand the ball to the ref and go to your sideline and quit actin like a clown.

8. fuglyflorio says: Oct 10, 2012 9:28 AM

If the Niners win … can they please stop crying about last year? Get over it.

9. tlmoon2112 says: Oct 10, 2012 9:33 AM

Maybe they should send Discount Double Check down for a belt flash next time instead.

10. emfsocial78 says: Oct 10, 2012 9:33 AM

goldrush36

Cruz never does a salsa dance after a catch, he only does it after TDs. But I understand a WR is suppose to catch a pass over the middle a wait for a hit. What was your point?

11. abninf says: Oct 10, 2012 9:38 AM

Act like you’ve been there before. Not shake your hips in front of a majority male audience.

12. rushandvanhalen says: Oct 10, 2012 9:39 AM

I could understand if Cruz invented the dance, but that’s salsa and open to everyone.

Imitating something like Ray Lewis’ dance would different, as that is ORIGINAL.

13. nitro276 says: Oct 10, 2012 9:59 AM

Who cares if Cruz takes offense!

Still a good chance that he will be a flash-in-the-pan….like Steve Smith was…

14. jgreiner9 says: Oct 10, 2012 10:13 AM

Ok it’s not like he did the dance because he thought he needed a celebration dance after every touchdown. He did it to pay tribute to his grandmother when she’d watch the games. If you did something in honor of a family member and, somebody did it to mock you, wouldn’t you think it’s just a little bit disrespectful at first? If you don’t like it, don’t let him in the endzone. That being said hope he makes it in there a couple times.

15. Grulks says: Oct 10, 2012 10:45 AM

“little disrespectful.”

That’s the thing Victor, you don’t think its cool when someone celebrates their success and rubs it in your face, but its totally okay for YOU to celebrate and rub it in THEIR face?

Grow up son. Thats the thing about talking trash, someone will eventually burn you, and you pretty much don’t have a leg to stand on about it. Yeah, you got the last laugh because you won the game, but it’s not always like that.

If you’re gonna dish it out, be prepared to take it without crying about disrespect.

16. waxthat says: Oct 10, 2012 11:00 AM

I would like Randy Moss to do that dance this weekend

17. situsavaisprier says: Oct 10, 2012 11:21 AM

The salsa for Cruz is a celebration of his Spanish roots and it’s a tribute to his Grandma. He didn’t just out of the blue say “Let me score a td and shake my bon bon”. However I don’t think that Cruz should be offended by Carlos Rogers doing a Cruz imitation. Dez Bryant scored a td and did it, yet he wasn’t offended.

18. chalkruz1989 says: Oct 10, 2012 11:21 AM

Is it that offensive to fans to see Victor Cruz doing the salsa after touchdowns? It’s only a dance, he’s not making a theatrical performance like Chad Johnson and Terrell Owens used to do. Tony Gonzalez always dunks the ball, same with Jimmy Graham. The Packers jump into the stands when they score, why isn’t Cruz allowed to have his shtick? And for anyone to say his celebration is disrescpectful really needs to realize it’s football, it’s entertainment.

Also, saying Cruz is a flash-in-the-pan is a poor excuse to try to belittle him. He has been excelling with Hakeem Nicks out and being double-covered, that’s called a great wideout.

19. chalkruz1989 says: Oct 10, 2012 11:23 AM

Also, the Ray Lewis dance isn’t an original, he admitted that a neighborhood man growing up used to do the dance all the time.
    **************************************************************************************rushandvanhalen says:
    Oct 10, 2012 9:39 AM

Imitating something like Ray Lewis’ dance would different, as that is ORIGINAL.

20. greymares says: Oct 10, 2012 11:32 AM

i am not a Giant fan,I hope the Giant’s lose every week but the Giants are very adept at finding wide receivers or It’s all about Eli, (thats where i’m leaning). when the Giants got Eli i thought it was a joke that he rode his brothers coattails to a lucrative contract. I was wrong this guy is a great Q.B. and the Giants offense will go as far as he can take them. this week it’s about an offensive line that’s struggling against a great S.F. defensive front and the vaunted Giant front four which has not played very well, J.P.P. is getting a lot of attention because quite frankly his linemates are slipping or resting on their laurels. i don’t think this is the Giant team that has kicked it in and won when they had to. i guess we will know in a couple weeks.

21. dirtyjersey9er says: Oct 10, 2012 12:15 PM

“Anyways the Giants will show up like they always do when counted out like too many are doing for the upcoming game.”

You won 2 recent Super Bowls the “They are out to get us” act is old. Announcers don’t have a bias against the Giants, the games aren’t rigged for the Giants to lose every time they do lose a game. Eli and Cruz are getting to a point where they are at a Peyton and Troy level of endorsements.

You want to see bias why not watch ESPN after New England torched Buffalo and then watch them so far this week after the 49ers did the same thing. More talk has been given to the Jets circus this week.

And I am so sick of Giants fans in my area talking smack when I had tried to keep quiet. I even heard “Pfft you guys destroyed the Bills so what?” the same day the Giants destroyed a winless Browns team. This isn’t the NFCCG and Ginn isn’t hurt. I really hope Kyle Williams is the one to win the game for the 49ers too.

22. discosucs2005 says: Oct 10, 2012 1:09 PM

I really like Cruz, but cry me a river when it comes to someone doing your dance.

First, like someone already mentioned: Cruz didn’t invent the salsa dance, and while I can’t think of an example, I highly doubt he is the very first person to do one inside the lines. Either way, he certainly has no ownership over a dance that’s been done forever.

Second, you can’t do celebration dances and complain about anyone else’s an expect to be taken seriously.

Finally, the Giants “woe is us” attitude is getting pretty old. Everyone agrees Cough is a great coach, Eli is elite, and the Giants are firmly in charge of the Patriots. Pretending like no one respects the Giants just because people pick against them when they are playing a team with a winning record on the road, and have key injuries isn’t going to make the 49ers overlook you.

If the Giants win it’s because they are good team, if they lose, they are still a good team. Do us all a favor and stop pretending like anyone outside of Philly thinks otherwise.

23. 6ringofsteel says: Oct 10, 2012 4:09 PM

He does the dance in honor of his grandmother, that’s why he felt disrespected

24. shirsc2 says: Oct 10, 2012 4:27 PM

I think Victor Cruz felt disrespected because “he did a sarcastic salsa dance over me”. If Rogers did the salsa on the sidelines, i’m sure it would of been fine. The fact that he did it right on top of Cruz is what was disrespectful. Technically, that could be considered taunting.

I’m glad Rogers did it cause it fired up Cruz in the championship game.

25. giants1yankees1knicks says: Oct 10, 2012 7:17 PM

more salsa please… Dip that is! G0 GIANTS

26. monkeyhateclean says: Oct 10, 2012 8:41 PM

If professional athletes really need stuff like this for motivation, they are to be pitied.

Personally, I prefer Foster’s Namaste bow; humble, respectful, and distinct.

27. londonps says: Oct 10, 2012 8:46 PM

Why can’t Carlos do the dance isn’t he Hispanic ?

28. crazysamoan says: Oct 10, 2012 10:15 PM

Goldson or Whitner is gonna knock the salsa out of him. 9ers forever!!!!

29. sixjak says: Oct 10, 2012 11:20 PM

That dance is about as fresh as 4 month old yeast infection. Hand the ball to the ref and call it a day.

30. Mr. Wright 212 says: Oct 11, 2012 2:26 AM

Who does Rogers think he is? we burn him regardless of whether he got contacts, lasik and went to SF. Still the same guy that Eli REGULARLY torches. You’d think he’d fall back after Vic abused him for an entire half relentlessly last year.

31. Mr. Wright 212 says: Oct 11, 2012 2:28 AM

greymares says: Oct 10, 2012 11:32 AM

————-

I gotta hand it to you, you’re 100% correct (although the offensive line has actually been great of late). Respect to you for stating this.