Drew Brees picks up NFC offensive player of the week

Drew+Brees+San+Diego+Chargers+v+New+Orleans+3rJElBjx4ull Getty Images

It’s been a pretty good week for Saints quarterback Drew Brees.

His team finally won a game in its fifth try, he broke Johnny Unitas’ long-standing record for most games with a touchdown pass and, on Wednesday, he was named the NFC offensive player of the week.

Brees completed 29-of-45 passes for 370 yards and four touchdowns in New Orleans’ 31-24 victory over the Chargers. It was the second straight strong game for Brees, who started the season with a couple of performances well below his established standards. In those two games, it has looked like the Saints’ passing offense found its stride without Sean Payton calling the plays, something that bodes well for their performance once they return from the bye week against the Buccaneers.

Should all that not be enough to mark this as a big week for Brees, he’s also appearing in a Pepsi commercial with the boy band One Direction. When it rains, it pours.

Permalink 16 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, New Orleans Saints, Rumor Mill
16 Responses to “Drew Brees picks up NFC offensive player of the week”
  1. schmitty2 says: Oct 10, 2012 10:51 AM

As much as I respect Brees as a QB I cringed when I saw him break Unitas’ record. He was jumping up and down with glee. I’m thinking to myself at that moment “you guys are 0-4..shouldn’t you save the excitement for getting a win?”

2. sj39 says: Oct 10, 2012 10:54 AM

How nice but he’s still 1 and 4 this season.

3. fuglyflorio says: Oct 10, 2012 10:59 AM

One day … when the season is 30 games long … every record will be broken again.

4. sbc85 says: Oct 10, 2012 11:02 AM

“schmitty2 says:Oct 10, 2012 10:51 AM

—-

If you watched the Saints on the regular, you would know he did what he always does after the team scores a touchdown. He does some weird handshake thing with either Chase Daniel or Lance Moore, and then he chases down whoever caught the touchdown to hug them. Every touchdown he does the same thing. Also, the TD tied the score. It’s not like he celebrated down by 20.

5. franktherat96 says: Oct 10, 2012 11:14 AM

Why must some of you give Brees grief for almost everything he does. He does those types of things with his teammates on each TD he throws. So, if you don’t have a winning record you can’t celebrate a TD. Even if that had not been a record breaking TD he still would have ran to Devery and celebrating with his teammates. give the guy a break people. This whole offseason has been one attack after another.

If you want to know, the other day on a day off he went to the Audubon park in New Orleans with his wife and sons. How dare him smile and have fun with his family because he is 1-4. Give me a break people.

6. ambitoos says: Oct 10, 2012 11:18 AM

They may be 1 and 4 but Drew Brees is a winner. He has all the ingrediance to be in the Joe Montana class. He deserves to be best offensive player. It’s hard to concieve the Chargers let this guy walk.

7. dvdman123 says: Oct 10, 2012 11:19 AM

They are 1-4 right now but there is still a lot of football left, I wouldn’t write them off just yet………just saying.

8. steviaquinn says: Oct 10, 2012 11:42 AM

Should have given it to the officials, as the officials were the ones that gave him the game.

I wan the replacements back

9. paulitik74 says: Oct 10, 2012 11:43 AM

They should’ve given it to the refs. That’s who won the game for the Saints.

10. melikefootball says: Oct 10, 2012 11:46 AM

Drew may be the darling of the South but you can’t take a record from a QB that did not play inside in all nice conditions, in a game that is far from football ,with the advantage on each play to the offense. Congrat with a lot of BUTS.

11. daybreaker2 says: Oct 10, 2012 12:12 PM

“schmitty2 says:Oct 10, 2012 10:51 AM

—-

Not only was the other poster correct about how Drew treated this like any other TD, but within seconds of returning to the sideline he was already looking at game photos from the booth, studying.

Whether he throws a TD or an INT, he doesnt excessively celebrate or sulk. He goes back to the bench and studies, like a pro.

12. tommyribs says: Oct 10, 2012 1:23 PM

No way around it, the guy is just an all-time Great QB. He is an all-time great player, a tremendous talent and a brilliant QB.

13. bearflagfan says: Oct 10, 2012 1:28 PM

Did the refs from the New Orleans-San Diego game pick up the trophy for him? They picked up the win, I’d think they should finish the job.

14. bearflagfan says: Oct 10, 2012 1:31 PM

BTW, I greatly respect Drew Brees, happy for his record, and was one of the few SD fans who argued for the Chargers to keep him in 2006 and based on the comparative records of Brees and Philip Rivers since then, I was correct.

That said OPW generally goes to a player on a winning team and the Saints should not have won that game.

15. zn0rseman says: Oct 10, 2012 4:17 PM

Let me be one of many to respond with… LAME.

The officials steal a game from the Chargers and hand it to Brees and the Saints on a silver platter and he wins offensive player of the week honors?!?

There are a half dozen guys off the top of my head that are more deserving.

16. realfann says: Oct 10, 2012 6:07 PM

BS

Alex Smith should have got it for his performance vs the Bills.