Former Lion, actor Alex Karras dies at 77

Alex-Karras AP

Former Lions defensive lineman turned actor Alex Karras died Wednesday at his home in Los Angeles, according to a family spokesman. He was 77.

Karras, who had recently suffered kidney failure, died while surrounded by family members, said Craig Mitnick, Karras’ attorney and family spokesman.

While perhaps more remembered now for his role as “Mongo” in Blazing Saddles, Karras was a four-time Pro Bowler, a dominant force on the field, which opened the door to a second career in acting.

Our thoughts go out to all of Karras’ family, friends and former teammates.

Permalink 62 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Detroit Lions, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
62 Responses to “Former Lion, actor Alex Karras dies at 77”
  1. fuglyflorio says: Oct 10, 2012 10:56 AM

Very sad indeed. He was quite a character. And a hell of a player in his day.

2. sabatimus says: Oct 10, 2012 10:58 AM

Rest in Peace, Mongo.

3. joemontanawasthegreatest says: Oct 10, 2012 11:00 AM

Webster

4. purplengold says: Oct 10, 2012 11:00 AM

RIP Alex Karras.

5. whatnojets says: Oct 10, 2012 11:00 AM

Rest in Peace, Alex

6. spellingcopfather says: Oct 10, 2012 11:01 AM

R.I.P

7. godofwine330 says: Oct 10, 2012 11:01 AM

I was born in ’77, so I never got a chance to see more than highlights. Thanks to the Sabol family, I was able to see highlights of him playing and he was outstanding. The lack of recordkeeping of QB sacks until the 1982 season makes it hard for people of today to be able to compare him to the players to today, but if they watch those NFL Films you would see a great player.

He is finally resting in peace and no longer in pain. Thanks for what you brought to the game and our televisions, George.

8. tlmoon2112 says: Oct 10, 2012 11:03 AM

prayers for the Karras family

9. h8dansnyder says: Oct 10, 2012 11:03 AM

“Mongo like candy!” RIP, Alex.

10. austinoxford says: Oct 10, 2012 11:04 AM

Godspeed George Papadopoulous.

11. thelastpieceofcheese says: Oct 10, 2012 11:07 AM

What a loss! During his time, Karras was among the best five defensive tackles in the league.

Shame on the NFL, which blackballed this great player thus excluding him from his rightful spot in the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

RIP my friend.

12. garyman1 says: Oct 10, 2012 11:07 AM

I’ll never forget him punching out that horse.

13. tailgateheaven says: Oct 10, 2012 11:08 AM

One the true “legendary” characters in this league’s history. And to compound that, one of the most memorable characters in the history of movie comedy. Alex, you made your mark on both and won’t be forgotten. Rest in peace.

14. knackstermyea says: Oct 10, 2012 11:08 AM

Rest in Peace Alex Karros. Not too many ol’school players are made like you anymore.

15. ampats says: Oct 10, 2012 11:10 AM

My first memories of Alex Karras was his role in one of the best early movies about pro football, Paper Lion.

He was a dominant player back in the day and seemed to be a great and funny guy.

RIP to one of the greatest players in Detroit Lion history

16. metalup666 says: Oct 10, 2012 11:10 AM

RIP Mongo! You will be missed.

17. chasewalshsl says: Oct 10, 2012 11:12 AM

and also his role on Webster

18. donstylo says: Oct 10, 2012 11:16 AM

For anyone under the age of 30, he’s probably “more remembered” for the show Webster. Goodbye, Mr. Papadopolis. =(

19. 4evrnyt says: Oct 10, 2012 11:18 AM

He was just a pawn in the game of life.

20. mungman69 says: Oct 10, 2012 11:19 AM

I meet Karris once and he couldn’t have been nicer. We lost a good guy.

21. knucklebucket says: Oct 10, 2012 11:19 AM

RIP.
    Good to see an NFL player getting to enjoy later years in life.

22. nflofficeadmin says: Oct 10, 2012 11:19 AM

RIP Mongo.

23. papasbasement says: Oct 10, 2012 11:19 AM

I’m not going to pretend I knew of Mr. Karras outside of Blazing Saddles, but…have you ever seen that movie? That alone is more than enough. RIP.

24. kane337 says: Oct 10, 2012 11:19 AM

Alex was a great player and actor. Loved him in Blazing Saddles “Mongo like candy”

RIP

25. rpkllc says: Oct 10, 2012 11:19 AM

He was a force with the Lions. I remember him when he was at Tulane Stadium and almost got to Dempsey before he kicked that 63 yarder. 11/8/70

26. jjackwagon says: Oct 10, 2012 11:24 AM

Indeed we are all just pawns in the game of life. RIP Mongo. A true Lion on the field in more than just the name.

27. whatnojets says: Oct 10, 2012 11:29 AM

The best line he said was after he was suspended by the NFL for gambling:

Karras once refused when an official asked him to call the pregame coin toss. “I’m sorry, sir,” Karras replied. “I’m not permitted to gamble

28. tshirttom says: Oct 10, 2012 11:30 AM

Rest in peace big man. You were great on and off the field.

29. curlypacker says: Oct 10, 2012 11:30 AM

I met and spoke with him a few times when the Lions would play an exhibition game annually in Toledo . He always had time for kids after the game. I have very fond memories of of him as a person and player. He will be missed.

30. dadawg77 says: Oct 10, 2012 11:34 AM

RIP. He is no longer a pawn in the game of life.

31. fwippel says: Oct 10, 2012 11:34 AM

Rest in Peace, Alex. You were fun to watch on the field and as an actor.

32. melikefootball says: Oct 10, 2012 11:42 AM

RIP Alex. As a fan of football it was players like Alex that caught my attention to the game. Players today should all stop and give thanks to Alex, his era players are what gave the players today all the fancy cars, big ear rings and flash they care about more than the game. The players of that time represented the town and fans and the town and fans died with each loose and pride of each win. Today the players are all about what is in it for me, stats for fantasy and where can they go to play for more more and more. Alex played rough and tuff and was respected by other team players for his style. Our hearts go out to his wife and children and thank them for letting us see a man playing a game.

33. azpackerbacker says: Oct 10, 2012 11:48 AM

Somewhere in heaven someone right now is saying “Never mind that sh*t, here comes Mongo”

RIP and condolences to Mr. Karras family.

34. newagerocker says: Oct 10, 2012 11:50 AM

RIP Alex. My condolences go out to his family.

35. wingsrule12 says: Oct 10, 2012 11:57 AM

Punching out the horse was the best scene in Blazing Saddles. RIP Mongo

36. sonoco says: Oct 10, 2012 11:58 AM

“Mongo just a pawn in the game of life”

RIP Alex Karras . . . he was also entertaining as himself in “Paper Lion”

37. dexterismyhero says: Oct 10, 2012 12:01 PM

I always thought when he lit the cigar and caught his hat on fire was one of the funnier scenes.

What in the Wide Wide World of Sprots is going on here?

38. bluepike says: Oct 10, 2012 12:01 PM

Shame on the NFL for keeping Alex out of the HOF while allowing Paul Hornung to enter. While Alex was somewhat more controversial off the field it was never to the point of banishment from the HOF. He was one of the all-time greats at his position as former teammate and recent HOF inductee Dick Lebeau referred to Alex as “unblockable”. Karras and Hornung both belong.

Aside from being a great player and outstanding actor he also had a great sense of humor. I recall when the European soccer-style field goal kickers first arrived on the scene, Alex came up with – “We beat ourselves up for 59 minutes and at the end of the game a win or loss depends on a guy running onto the field with his helmet on backwards yelling – ” I keek touchdown”.

Rest in peace Alex, you were a great human being and a Hall Of Famer in my book. RIP.

39. orangebluedonkey says: Oct 10, 2012 12:06 PM

Helleva player. R.I.P. #77

40. araidersfan says: Oct 10, 2012 12:17 PM

I’m a bit too young to remember most of his playing days on the Lions but I enjoyed his insights/wit on MNF during Don Meredith’s hiatus in the mid-70s.

His quip one hot Monday night about Ottis Sistrunk being from “the University of Mars” is legendary among Raiders fans.

R.I.P., Alex

41. greasebawl says: Oct 10, 2012 12:21 PM

If you like Alex Karras, his book “Even Big Guys Cry” is a must read. He was talented football player, author, and actor. This gifted man will be missed!

42. pooflingingmonkey says: Oct 10, 2012 12:24 PM

I saw Blazing Saddles with my Father when it came out, and I never heard my Dad laugh so hard in his whole life as he did when Mongo KO’d that horse.

Thanks for all the smiles, Mr. Karras.

43. roadtrip3500 says: Oct 10, 2012 12:26 PM

Condolences to the Karras family and the Lions organization.

44. th56 says: Oct 10, 2012 12:39 PM

A sad way to go, but he lived a life that most of us could only dream of, and he did it his way.

45. sdsockers says: Oct 10, 2012 12:53 PM

One of the greatest defensive lineman, back in the day when “men were men”. As tough as they came. A fine actor, and from all accounts a wonderful man. “Mongo” will live forever.
    Really a shame to see the lowlife troll morons who feel the need to ‘thumbs down’ comments honoring a wonderful person who has passed away.

46. marty2020 says: Oct 10, 2012 12:59 PM

The other players called him “the mad duck.”

47. castleanthrax says: Oct 10, 2012 1:23 PM

RIP Mr. Karras and condolences to the family and friends of this great gentleman.

Mongo was a great character and knocking out that horse was one of the best scenes not only in that movie but all Mel Brooks movies.

Remember him from Webster also, essentially playing himself as a former player and broadcaster on MNF.

48. patslukacs says: Oct 10, 2012 1:35 PM

Rest in peace, Mr. Karras.

Setting up that Otis Sistrunk MNF line: they were playing the Dolphins. Cosell, also a notorious diploma-sniffer, zero’d in on a No-Name Defense stalwart: “There’s DOUG SWIFT! His parents are both doctors! He went to AMHERST!” Then cut to the Raider bench and Karras: “And Howard, there’s Otis Sistrunk from the University of Mars.”

Overall, Alex was no Dandy Don in the booth but that gained him instant color-man immortality.

49. thestrategyexpert says: Oct 10, 2012 1:39 PM

RIP, hopefully the Lions can dedicate a win on Sunday to him in his honor

50. honkerdawg says: Oct 10, 2012 1:40 PM

RIP. one of the last GREAT linemen, these guys today don’t hold a candle to players like AK.

51. ernie ernie says: Oct 10, 2012 2:00 PM

I was fortunate growing up in Detroit that my dad had season Lions tickets and I got to see this guy play. He was a monster. A feared player and a dam good one at that.
    Men suited up, played the game and kept there big mouths shut and didn’t look around for some union rep to sue the league via the court system. Pathetic little pricks these days only worried about money and getting into the Hall.

I was able to see some of the all time greats and Alex, the memories of your play will be with me always.
    My condolences to your family. RIP my man.

52. SparkyGump says: Oct 10, 2012 2:22 PM

A great man has passed. He was a star on the field, on the screen and in life. Thanks for the memories, Alex.

53. francheyes says: Oct 10, 2012 2:29 PM

Why would anyone put a thumbs down rating on people expressing their condolences? You people are sad.

54. whatwouldlombardido says: Oct 10, 2012 2:44 PM

R.I.P. Mr. Karras. Mongo no longer pawn in game of life.

55. rayguyreturns says: Oct 10, 2012 2:53 PM

Nobody on the Fearsome Foursome had anything on Alex Karras.

Karras, Butkus and Ray Nitschke were the toughest players I ever saw play this game. There was no “player safety” on their minds. All three are/were a man’s man.

56. edelmanfanclub says: Oct 10, 2012 2:54 PM

RIP

57. 12312 says: Oct 10, 2012 3:01 PM

“Even Big Guys Cry,” yes indeed. Read it as a young man, when I was often told I looked like him. Proud for that to have been the case. If only I can live the full life he seems to have lived. RIP Mr. Karras

58. leiboldsr says: Oct 10, 2012 5:43 PM

grew up with Alex and the NFL’s first fearsome foursome. Paper Lion was his ticket to future success as an actor. His time as an analyst for MNF was better than anyone’s. Otis Sistrunk six foot 8 inches tall 260 pounds out of the University of Mars.

59. mazblast says: Oct 10, 2012 5:46 PM

He was a “man’s man” and led one heck of a life, with two successful careers. The only people I ever heard speak negatively about him were the guys who tried to block him on the football field, but even that ended when the game ended.

RIP Mr. Karras. If there’s a Heaven, “here comes Mongo” indeed.

60. fdugrad says: Oct 10, 2012 7:24 PM

ampats: My thoughts exactly…Well said. RIP Mr. K.

61. bucforever says: Oct 11, 2012 8:14 AM

Rest in peace Alex. The world is a better place because you were in it. You were not a pawn. You made a difference.

62. kerrtoons says: Oct 12, 2012 1:54 PM

I was lucky enough to be run over by Karras watching the Lions play at summer camp back in the 60′s. He helped me up from the bottom of the pile and said, “Nice tackle, kid.”
    He was a great guy.