Nick Perry fined $15k for borderline shot on Andrew Luck

Andrew Luck,  Nick Perry AP

Packers rookie outside linebacker Nick Perry expected a fine, but not a $15,000 fine.

Perry got the huge sanction for last week’s hit on Colts quarterback Andrew Luck,  for what appeared to be a facemask-to-shoulder pad shot at the end of a clean run.

“[The NFL said] I led with the crown of my head. For that, I got fined,” Perry said, via Jason Wilde of ESPNMilwaukee.com. “I’ve got to be more focused on making a play without the head.”

Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers said the fact Perry came through unblocked made it look more illegal than it was.

“When I saw it live it looked like it was a clean hit,” Rodgers said. “I will tell you in my opinion and take it for what it is: I think the flag was thrown because of the way it looked. When [Luck] got hit his head snapped back so hard, I think it looked worse than it actually was. It was Nick Perry who weighs 270 pounds with a hit that was in the [allowed] zone, and I don’t think if you look at the replay was with the crown of his helmet.

“It basically just looked bad because he got a free run of about six yards of space and [Luck’s] head whipped back pretty hard. That’s why I think the penalty was thrown.”

Luck fumbled on the play at his own 17-yard line. So instead of an easy chance to build on a 14-0 lead, the Colts were able to extend the drive.

And now Perry has a sizable donation to make.

Permalink 45 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Green Bay Packers, Home, Rumor Mill
45 Responses to “Nick Perry fined $15k for borderline shot on Andrew Luck”
  1. jhein23 says: Oct 10, 2012 4:26 PM

How does Nick Perry get fined $15,000 for this hit but that Seattle DB who 30 yards away from the play drove Greg Jennings into the ground for no reason at all get a $7,000 fine? Makes no sense.

2. foofooface says: Oct 10, 2012 4:27 PM

That sucks, but was expected. Totally clean hit. I was surprised Luck got up so quick.

3. lbpackfan says: Oct 10, 2012 4:27 PM

He hit the QB too hard…you cannot do that.

4. otissistrunk says: Oct 10, 2012 4:28 PM

Dumb..textbook hit

5. stellarperformance says: Oct 10, 2012 4:29 PM

I don’t know why these guys can’t just double-stiff-arm the QB as they are closing in. Your hands will reach the guy before your shoulder or helmet will, and the “blast” will be felt and cause havoc anyway.

6. zzr600guy says: Oct 10, 2012 4:31 PM

The NFL is turning into a touch football league. Thats a bogus call on a clean hit.

7. mikealstott says: Oct 10, 2012 4:31 PM

It won’t be long before a defensive player gets fined for giving a QB a dirty look….

8. dkuether017 says: Oct 10, 2012 4:31 PM

Thanks NFL for making our new OLB scared to hit the QB. Sweet.

9. Deb says: Oct 10, 2012 4:33 PM

Is this a photo of the hit in question? It can’t be. That’s not an illegal hit … but who can tell anymore?

10. sadskinsfan89 says: Oct 10, 2012 4:35 PM

that is ridiculous. that hit was clean. nfl is getting lame

11. titogetmesometissue says: Oct 10, 2012 4:37 PM

Looks like the NFL is out to get them, too.

12. rogergoodellsays says: Oct 10, 2012 4:39 PM

Do the crime, pay the fine.

13. ernie ernie says: Oct 10, 2012 4:41 PM

Perry’s hit was a bunch of crap. He did not hit helmit to helmit and that hit changed the game around. For one, it said to Luck, don’t worry the league will protect you from bit hits. Second it gave the team a 15 yard penalty and then a touchdown insued rather than the Pack getting the ball on the fumble.
    Same thing happened in the Orleans game and took an inception for touchdown to a penalty and a touchdown, a 14 point swing by one bad ball.

14. drillbit19k says: Oct 10, 2012 4:42 PM

In slow mo it “looked” like he lead with his head. I really think there is a grain of truth into what Rodgers is saying. They [the officials] are quick to find fault even if there is none on particularly violent hits.

15. citizenstrange says: Oct 10, 2012 4:43 PM

I don’t go out to dance clubs anymore but when I did I used to really whip my head around while dancing. Now that I see Luck do it it doesn’t look as cool as I thought it did.

16. PowerMad says: Oct 10, 2012 4:46 PM

Finally, Packer backers have something legitimate to whine about. The NFL should exercise a little more wisdom when rendering judgment. Wait a second…who are we talking about here? Roger “The Strong Arm” Goodell. That’s who.

17. melikefootball says: Oct 10, 2012 4:56 PM

I would not mind the fines, but but but one QB gets a call and fines the player doing the hitting. Watch two other games and the QB has no respect, no flag and no fine on the player giving the hit. It is illegal only in the eyes of whom ever gives out the fines watching the rerun tape. How about fines on offense when they lower there head or on a QB throwing the ball away…it is out of hand all for, the scape goat wording of player safety.

18. zn0rseman says: Oct 10, 2012 5:11 PM

I just wish the league was consistent on penalties and fines. Had that been a less marquee QB it probably wouldn’t have been a penalty at all, but it was Andrew Luck, in Indy, so he gets the call and the fine. If the same player makes that hit on a QB from a small market team like Cincinnati, Cleveland, Minnesota, Detroit, Buffalo, ect, ect… no call is made.

The inconsistency is what makes fans and players angry.

19. thraiderskin says: Oct 10, 2012 5:13 PM

wow… Can the NFL come off anymore unappologetic. A big mistake is made and the tops guys circle the wagons. I’m a firm believer in “if you tell someone something enough, they will believe it to be true.” I would say the strangness of this season, is that statement in motion.

20. thankheavenfornumberseven says: Oct 10, 2012 5:15 PM

Deb says:Oct 10, 2012 4:33 PM

______

I think you need to see the video to really make a judgment. That photo could be taken at any time after the illegal hit.

21. west4420 says: Oct 10, 2012 5:19 PM

I’m a Bears fan and can admit 2 things:

1. Packers fans and players are huge crybaby’s
    2. Packers got jobbed against Seahawks

The league need only institute a quick review process to stop bad calls like the one against Perry from affecting a game. The intent of the hit is being lost in these new terrible calls on QB’s and WR’s and the game is too fast for these ref’s. They are calling penalties on the outcome of the hit instead of the hit itself and it’s affecting the quality of the game.

Unfortunately even after seeing it was clean they had to invent a reason to make it illegal to save face.

Sad.

22. skolvikes says: Oct 10, 2012 5:42 PM

Leading with the crown of the helmet against a defenseless passer was the call, and it was correct.

You can clearly seen Perry lead with the crown of his helmet in the video.

Here’s the rule:

Rule 12:Section 2:Article 9
    A defensive player must not use his helmet against a passer who is in a defenseless position, for example, (and here’s this specific play in question described to a T) (2) lowering the head and making forcible contact with the top/crown or forehead/”hairline” parts of the helmet against any part of the passer’s body

Whether you like the rule or not, it’s there and it was called absolutely correctly on the field. So many people are confused because of the TV announcers clamoring about how it wasn’t a helmet to helmet hit. It was never flagged for being a helmet to helmet hit.

23. aaronrodgersbelt says: Oct 10, 2012 5:47 PM

Wow. Just wow. Playing football is now illegal.

24. csilojohnson says: Oct 10, 2012 6:09 PM

What a joke this league has become. They are banking on touchdowns = ratings so much they will lose thier serious fanbase if this continues. The offensive side of the record book is completely meaningless at this point. It seems Goodell has found a way to get current players to pay for the lawsuit brought on by ex players.

25. gtodriver says: Oct 10, 2012 6:18 PM

skolvikes says:

“The flag wasn’t for helmet to helmet. You guys are listening to bad announcing and not paying attention to what the referee called.

You can clearly seen Perry lead with the crown of his helmet in the video.”

Don’t confuse those complaining about the call with the facts…

It will just cause a second round of whining…

26. jonnydapat says: Oct 10, 2012 6:19 PM

In a game last year against the Dolphins, Vince Wilfork came free up the middle and hit QB Chad Henne with his facemask in his stomach. He was flaged and fined just the same, like packer fans i was just as upset. Players just need to use their shoulderpads to deliver these hits and no flag or fines.

27. mrb1onde says: Oct 10, 2012 6:24 PM

Is the anything Aaron Rodgers doesn’t have an opinion on? The future of Big Bird, perhaps?

28. 6kings says: Oct 10, 2012 6:28 PM

I vote clean hit, but hey, I’m a Vikings fan, so BRAVO!!!

29. dwarftosser says: Oct 10, 2012 6:29 PM

As a Packers fan, I didn’t get too upset at the call when it happened it the game. It did look like he led with his helmet in real time the way Luck’s head reacted, and I can certainly understand the flag being thrown…

But after looking at the replay it seemed clear to me that this hit was clean. I’m a Packers fan, so maybe my “clear” is a little biased… but it’s certainly not clear that it is an illegal hit. When it’s not clearly an illegal hit, the benefit of the doubt should go to the defender. The NFL really needs to get someone with some common sense to make these fine decisions. They would get more respect from the fans and players if they try to make the right call rather than always trying to back up the decision of the refs…

30. skolpackers says: Oct 10, 2012 6:36 PM

how the hell are defenders suppose to tackle now!?

all of these QBs are putting up ALL PRO numbers (the last few years) because they don’t play with fear like the generations before them.

put a damn red shirt on these guys.

31. dylanssongwriter says: Oct 10, 2012 6:38 PM

stop saying it was a clean hit. i hate to break it you guys but there are new rules. phillip rivers got hit the same way and norv didn’t complain one bit and actually said it was the correct call. players need to adapt or get out of the way.

32. gb15class says: Oct 10, 2012 6:44 PM

mrb10nde, For your consideration…I am a Packer fan so I won’t pretend to be objective. Please be aware that Rodgers does a once weekly radio interview with Jason Wilde of ESPNWisconsin. It runs about 30 minutes and Wilde asks him a wide range of questions in a very conversational mode. Almost all of the Rodgers-has-an-option-about-everything refererences I’ve seen on PFT come in response to stuff that PFT or other media have picked out of those once weekly conversations. Is Rodgers supposed to not do any interviews or spend 30 minutes saying, “No comment?”

33. tmdill18 says: Oct 10, 2012 7:43 PM

You can’t lead with the head on a defenseless QB or receiver. It’s not even close to being a clean hit. And stop the whining about how soft the league is because they are overprotecting players. Easy for you to say from the couch with a mouthful of potato chips. Talking tough from the tv room doesn’t make you a tough guy. In case you haven’t heard, concussions are serious health hazards for the long term.

34. thetokyosandblaster says: Oct 10, 2012 7:59 PM

gtodriver says:
    Oct 10, 2012 6:18 PM
    skolvikes says:

You can clearly seen Perry lead with the crown of his helmet in the video.”

Don’t confuse those complaining about the call with the facts…

It will just cause a second round of whining…

—-

lol… it’s really kind of sad how jealous you are of anything green and gold…

That’s ok. If I were a fan of a lesser team, I’d be jealous, too.

I’d just find a different sport to like if my team sucked as badly as your pathetic squad.

35. ddogdaddy says: Oct 10, 2012 8:27 PM

Ok sign me up. I am now a card carrying member of the ever growing Packer haters. As a Colts fan I have for years stayed out of the love them or hate them arguement as I figured I had no horse in that race. But after watching them get hosed in the Seahawk game and their players and fans behaving like little girls acting like they were the only team that got screwed by the replacement refs. Then after getting beat fair and square by the Colts this week and listening to the cheese head fans and the players claiming the NFL was out to get them. Enough is enough, the whining and excuses are getting old. Maybe running, catching, passing and blocking better is the ticket to a few more wins instead of complaining and crying. That being said I still like the discount double check commercials. Go Blue.

36. contra74 says: Oct 10, 2012 8:41 PM

thetokyosandblaster says:Oct 10, 2012 7:59 PM

gtodriver says:
    Oct 10, 2012 6:18 PM
    skolvikes says:

You can clearly seen Perry lead with the crown of his helmet in the video.”

Don’t confuse those complaining about the call with the facts…

It will just cause a second round of whining…

—-

lol… it’s really kind of sad how jealous you are of anything green and gold…

That’s ok. If I were a fan of a lesser team, I’d be jealous, too.

—–
    You actually are a fan of a lesser team.

37. koenig61 says: Oct 10, 2012 9:06 PM

Similar tot the exact same hit James Harrison put on drew Bree’s, only Harrison hit Bree’s in the back. I remember everyone sayin Harrison deserved the flag, and the fine. I think both Harrison’s and Perry’s hit is fine, but the problem is the rule book says you can’t it a QB in the pocket “anywhere” with crown of the helmet. That means chest, back, leg, arm etc. stupid rule, but if Harrison was fined, so should perry. Everyone said “oh it’s just Harrison, he’s a dirty player, but now that its happening to other star defenders, fans are upset? Goodell doesn’t care who he fines, sooner or later it will be your team, and your players, just like it was James Harrison

38. jimcaldwellsucks says: Oct 10, 2012 11:18 PM

Text book technique.

He wasn’t defenseless because he wasn’t reaching back to throw. He had 2 hands on the ball.

What is the defender supposed to do stop and blow a kiss at him and say nice skirt?

It was a clean hit. He wasn’t leading with the crown of the helmet. Facemask was square in the chest.

Perfect technique.

39. ducksk says: Oct 11, 2012 12:20 AM

Bears suck. Will never win. Again. 1985 27 years. And for the purple people eaters…..your franchise is a joke!

40. ddogdaddy says: Oct 11, 2012 12:56 AM

I can’t understand how anyone could honestly think that was a legal tackle. It is hard to believe that Rodgers would actually say that after watching the tape that it looked worse then it really was. Maybe getting knocked around all day clouded his judgement? These rules are for his protection too.

41. judsonjr says: Oct 11, 2012 1:37 AM

The problem I have is that Perry almost needs to lower his head to prevent helmet to helmet.

I’ve seen numerous roughing calls where the defender is making a perfectly clean play only to contact the helmet/facemask of the quarterback when he ducks, jumps, leans back, or tries to get the throw off.

In this case if he keeps his head up and runs through, it’s not hard to imagine his facemask hitting Lucks helmet or head…and in comes the flag.

42. jhuck92 says: Oct 11, 2012 3:09 AM

The other QB gets hit, so let’s ask Aaron Rodgers what he thinks. Yeah, that makes sense. And ever since that Seahawks game, Packers players and fans are going to complain no matter what.

43. allidoiswin55 says: Oct 11, 2012 4:19 AM

Im all for good quality hits. I regularly argue with my best friend about how the game is changing. Im a young man but I will tell you I played football on all levels including a small amount professionally. And I really hate to see the physcial “INTIMIDATION” factor leaving the game.

Players use to pound you into submission, and what resulted. slower more grind it out second halfs. Less run and gun spread out offenses.(NFL ratings soared after offenses became exciting) The game has become offensive and pass happy and those are some of the most volnurable plays for players. And they want to Protect the ratings and excitement which directly builds revenue.

I miss overwhelming your opponet by repeatidly hitting them until they want to quit and start taking bad angles and “catch” the hit rather than try to deliver one. The only players now allowed to deliever hits HOWEVER THEY WANT are RB’s (Ex: Lynch “beast mode”).
    Becuase of the offensive show and concern over quarterbacks safety (*Realize this concussion excuse for penalties started AFTER these rules were already adjusted to protect the QB’s and now justified to most people in the media/fans as concussion prevention)
    The NFL is no longer the same. Because of that, we must adjust to the new rules and the transition the NFL has been through over the last decade. These hits in my opinion were some of the intangable things players possessed that gave them an edge. Taking that away removes their need! (Harrison)

It was an ILLEGAL hit based on todays standard rules. Perry lead with his helmet to the upper torso/below neck of Lucks body, By todays standards it is a clear penalty. Doesnt need to be his helmet to helmet. It sucks, but very obvious. The commentators mentioned the wrong justification and because it didnt fit somehow people think it was legal. NO!

The league has for atleast this past decade taken great care of the most important person on the field (QB’s) That is not going to change unless fans start wanting 6-9 games and being fine with their own QB being knocked out. For crying out loud people call for suspensions because they hurt another player. If this were Brady or Rodgers or Brees or someone of the caliber the player would be facing suspension. Rediculous!

Bottom line its a judgment call almost 100% of the time for the refs. And they judge these plays based on the way the rules were written. Right call, they would have issued NO FINE if it werent illegal. News Flash the league DOESNT ANSWER TO YOU.. They dont care if you question the call. They are NOT going to fine a player to justify a call whether good or bad. That idea I rediculous to those of you who think that!

***p.s.- Wheres all the outcry against bad refs when these plays still continue. Before it was all on the replacement refs. now its ALL REFS are out to get the packers.. GET UR SH*T TOGETHER.! Thats the most obsurd comment Ive ever heard!

44. mineallmine001 says: Oct 11, 2012 8:39 AM

If I am a defensive line man in this league I am now having my agent work these fines into my contract in such a way that my team will have to compensate me for the fines.

Football is a contact sport and by nature is a little bit dangerous. It can’t be made completely safe. Even madden2012 isn’t safe. You may get carpal tunnel from repeated play.

45. judsonjr says: Oct 11, 2012 6:17 PM

To me it doesn’t seem like Luck was any of these:

Players in a defenseless posture are:
    (1) A player in the act of or just after throwing a pass;
    (2) A receiver attempting to catch a pass; or who has completed a catch and has not had time to protect himself or has not clearly become a runner. If the receiver/runner is capable of avoiding or warding off the impending contact of an opponent, he is no longer a defenseless player;
    (3) A runner already in the grasp of a tackler and whose forward progress has been stopped;
    (4) A kickoff or punt returner attempting to field a kick in the air;
    (5) A player on the ground at the end of a play;
    (6) A kicker/punter during the kick or during the return;
    (7) A quarterback at any time after a change of possession, and
    (8) A player who receives a “blindside” block when the blocker is moving toward his own endline and approaches the opponent from behind or from the side.