Vernon Davis sees difference between Moss and Owens

Detroit Lions v San Francisco 49ers Getty Images

Receiver Terrell Owens and Randy Moss have plenty of detractors.  But one NFL player is a big fan of one, and apparently isn’t a fan of the other.

49ers tight end Vernon Davis praised Moss on Wednesday, while in turn taking a bit of a shot at T.O.

The difference is selfishness, and lack thereof.

“Randy is not worried about how many catches he’s getting,” Davis said, via CSNBayArea.com.  “I’m not worried about how many catches I get.  As long as we win, I’m having a good day.  That’s what it’s about.  It’s about winning.”

Davis said Moss hasn’t articulated a lack of interest in maximizing stats.  “I can see it in him,” Davis said.  “I sit right beside him.  I see it in him.  I see it in him when he’s not getting balls.”

And while Davis didn’t take a direct slap at Owens, the veteran tight end made his point by explaining that he used to be a guy who looked up to guys like Owens.

“At one point, I was selfish, and I admit it.  I was,” Davis said.  “And that’s because I was young and I didn’t know.  I was trying to find myself, just trying to figure it out.  I looked up to guys like Terrell Owens, and other guys in the league.  And I thought that this was what it was about.  But it wasn’t.”

Of course, if Owens were currently a teammate and Moss wasn’t, Davis may be saying the same things, with the names flipped.  As it currently stands, Davis sees T.O. as selfish and Moss as not selfish.

Permalink 28 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, San Francisco 49ers
28 Responses to “Vernon Davis sees difference between Moss and Owens”
  1. eyeh8goodell says: Oct 10, 2012 8:38 PM

Here’s a few other differences:

– Owens was productive through his final season in the NFL.

– Owens was never released from 3 different teams in one season because of his attitude.

– Owens never developed a reputation for quitting

I’m no TO fan, but Davis is off the mark. This season is the only sample he’s had of Moss.

2. thereisfootballwestofjersey says: Oct 10, 2012 8:39 PM

Just don’t jump up onto the camera platform and cross your arms like you own the joint costing us 15 yards and a personal foul this Sunday Vernon.

3. realfann says: Oct 10, 2012 8:40 PM

“Of course, if Owens were currently a teammate and Moss wasn’t, Davis may be saying the same things, with the names flipped”

What has Vernon Davis done to deserve this attack on his integrity?

4. rickastleydancemoves says: Oct 10, 2012 8:40 PM

His hairline makes me laugh.

5. green41563 says: Oct 10, 2012 8:42 PM

“Randy is not worried about how many catches he’s getting,” Davis said, via CSNBayArea.com. “I’m not worried about how many catches I get. As long as we win, I’m having a good day. That’s what it’s about. It’s about winning.”

___________________________________

Spoken like a guy coming off a 5-catch 106-yard performance.

6. 808raiderinparadise says: Oct 10, 2012 8:48 PM

Moss has commas in his bank account statements.

Moss has an upscale pallette when dining or chosing catering options for his team meals.

Moss likes NASCAR.

Is Moss white?

Owens is broke.

Would do anything to eat.

Owens has many neglected kids whom he makes no payments for.

Owens is black.

7. berniemadoffsides says: Oct 10, 2012 8:51 PM

Nice “dunk.”

8. urcrap says: Oct 10, 2012 8:55 PM

Life long Vike fan, but if the Freak can get his SB ring via SF good for him! Sincerely hope it can happen. Unless, of course, it’s Vikes-49’rs in the NFC Championship game. No way the young n gunn’n Vikes are ready for that yet. Maybe?

9. tsbona says: Oct 10, 2012 8:57 PM

eyeh8goodell says:
    Oct 10, 2012 8:38 PM
    Here’s a few other differences:

– Owens was productive through his final season in the NFL.

– Owens never developed a reputation for quitting

…………………………………………………………………………………………..

Clearly you don’t know anyone here personally so who are you to attest to their character.

Also, if TO is so great, why isn’t he with ANY team, much less a tightly-run Super Bowl contender?

10. Max says: Oct 10, 2012 8:59 PM

So far the only people making a BIG DEAL about Randy’s lack of targets/receptions is the MEDIA!

Looking for a story that is not there, every week its the same thing, media will continue to invent reasons to talk about Randy.

It’s the lowest form of sports journalism there is, and it appeals to the lowest form of fans.

11. rajbais says: Oct 10, 2012 9:08 PM

Randy Moss doesn’t care about having more catches because he knows he can’t play anymore and the 49ers are only Keeping him just to prove a point. They believed in Randy, but if they release him prematurely they will look like idiots.

BTW, Vernon you can’t Say that you were trying to be like Owens because you did not catch balls until Mike Martz left!!! He Was only there for one season!!!

Also, how are you a good person when you make a snap judgment about someone whom you truly do not know??

12. paintballx3dotcom says: Oct 10, 2012 9:10 PM

I see a difference too… one is a dope and the other one is a bigger dope.

13. oaktown49er says: Oct 10, 2012 9:14 PM

Of course, if Owens were currently a teammate and Moss wasn’t, Davis may be saying the same things, with the names flipped. As it currently stands, Davis sees T.O. as selfish and Moss as not selfish.
    —————————————————-
    If Owens was unselfish he could have been Davis’ teammate. If Moss was selfish he would not have made the squad. Moss grew up, Owens didn’t. Davis is right. I’m a Niner fan who loved TO, I wish he had grown up.

14. jeffperk says: Oct 10, 2012 9:20 PM

& he plays w/ Moss now & not Owens, what a shock he took up for the guy on the team now!

15. rickastleydancemoves says: Oct 10, 2012 9:42 PM

808raiderinparadise

Your team is a burning port o potty

16. manofsteel22 says: Oct 10, 2012 9:43 PM

Ahhh T.O. … If only he were born a mute , what a Ceasar he could of been

17. getadealdonealready says: Oct 10, 2012 9:54 PM

If I want someone to judge character, the first guy I’m going to ask is Vernon Davis, they guy who had a coach say “it’s more about him than it is the team”

18. supremekingz says: Oct 10, 2012 10:23 PM

Putting words in his mouth

19. lolo376 says: Oct 10, 2012 10:30 PM

Moss isn’t worried about catches, but he has been complaining about snaps on the field.

20. tdrundmc says: Oct 10, 2012 10:39 PM

Yes, Vernon Davis is as dumb as he looks.

21. jkr32 says: Oct 10, 2012 10:42 PM

The difference is one is a quitter and one is not! One will go over the middle and one will not!!

22. wtfru2 says: Oct 10, 2012 10:47 PM

Mooning the Packers is still Randy’s best play!

23. spankygreen says: Oct 10, 2012 11:06 PM

Help me understand because I am torn……Randy Moss, one of the most prolific rec in NFL history and surely still a threat on the fball field, otherwise they would not have signed him. what is the purpose of having him on the roster if you’re not going to target him at least 5 times a game……I can’t see him helping the organization by being on the sideline and according to some, happy to be there. A good team player?….F that. It’s like buying a thoroughbred that you know can win you the triple crown, but instead you put a bonnet on him and have him pull an ice cream cart and by god he better be happy about it……If you’re not going to use him, then why sign him?

24. jibberator says: Oct 11, 2012 3:38 AM

People talk like people cant change. Only time will tell weather the “impending Moss Black Hole of Negativity” actually comes to pass.

25. sjoyner59 says: Oct 11, 2012 5:50 AM

You don’t have to like him but Owens is a better player

26. SparkyGump says: Oct 11, 2012 8:21 AM

Hopefully, this marks the end of the “Diva” receiver era.

27. eyeh8goodell says: Oct 11, 2012 9:16 AM

———————–

I notice you can’t refute any of those points I made. Maybe it’s because they’re factual and you just don’t like it. That tells me you’re probably a 49ers fan who likely ran his mouth all during camp and preseason about how Moss was going to be some key weapon in your team’s Super Bowl run. Turns out Moss is about as dangerous as any 3rd or 4th string receiver in the league……..as many of us called from the very beginning.

28. discosucs2005 says: Oct 11, 2012 1:33 PM

I don’t think the 49ers are hanging on to Moss just to keep up appearances. Harbaugh doesn’t seem too concerned with what people think of him (see every comment he made in the offseason), and they are paying Moss the same amount that he spends on dog food annually.

They cut Edwards last year, they’d cut Moss if they didn’t want him.

As for why he’s not getting thrown to that often, I think there are a few possible reasons:

They’re saving him for late in the season. Moss is a veteran who has played in big games, and scored in the biggest game (07). They want to keep him for the end of the year when defenses are tired.

Moss isn’t getting open. He still has speed, but the 49ers typically don’t work the ball down field too often. That’s not so much an Alex Smith thing because Andrew Luck didn’t throw as many deep balls as a lot of other QBs when he was at Stanford.

Other WRs are playing better than expected. Crabtree has played great, Davis has been himself, and Manningham and KW, have picked it up the last few weeks. It could simply be that Moss hasn’t been needed yet. There is still no reason to cut him because of his low salary, and the fact that the only other WR on the roster is a rookie who hasn’t played yet and a kick returner.