Vick won’t comment on whether he owns a dog

Michael Vick AP

If Eagles quarterback Mike Vick owns a dog again, he’s not saying so.  Which means he owns a dog again.

I’m here to strictly talk about football,” Vick said Wednesday, via Jeff McLane of the Philadelphia Inquirer, when asked the “yes” or “no” question regarding current canine ownership.  “What goes on in my personal life is not to be talked about.  What’s most important right now is the Philadelphia Eagles and getting the win Sunday.”

Correction:  What goes on in Vick’s personal life is only to be talked about when he wants to talk about it, like when he’s selling a book that delves into his personal life.

The fair conclusion to be drawn from Vick’s “no comment” on whether he has a dog is that, yes, Vick has a dog.  Which makes sense, given the tweeted-and-deleted photo of Vick and his daughter doing their respective homework, with a box of Milk Bone dog biscuits on the table.

Vick later replaced the photo with a similar shot, sans Milk Bones.

The fact that he won’t talk about owning a dog demonstrates that he recognizes the potential consequences of making it known that he owns a dog.  Though Vick’s probation has ended and thus he’s free to own a dog, the fact that he apparently does invites comment on whether he should, given that he confessed to engaging in a six-year pattern of dogfighting — and that he admitted to killing multiple dogs in cold blood.

Permalink 88 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
88 Responses to “Vick won’t comment on whether he owns a dog”
  1. blacknole08 says: Oct 10, 2012 2:32 PM

Vick paid his debt to society and he was shunned. I see no problem with him owning a dog if he is allowed to have one.

2. mwatts1 says: Oct 10, 2012 2:36 PM

The guy spent 2 years in prison. It’s unfair to kick this guy after doing his time. No reason for that question to be brought up… but I guess mission accomplish by the Philly Inquirer since we’re now talking about it.

3. champ1118 says: Oct 10, 2012 2:36 PM

I love dogs–specifically pitbulls. What Mike Vick did was horrible. However, he went to jail and this is America. Like it or not, it’s his right. Next story please!

4. jpmelon says: Oct 10, 2012 2:37 PM

why would someone who went to prison and almost lost his career because of dogs want to own another one?

Poor judgement in my opinion.

5. blaq007 says: Oct 10, 2012 2:37 PM

Please. Stop. Now. Let the man be! Damn!

6. eaglesfan94 says: Oct 10, 2012 2:38 PM

He mentioned not that long ago (maybe last year or the year before) that he’d like to have one after he gets off probation.

7. mjfan4life23 says: Oct 10, 2012 2:41 PM

Leave it alone. He was given a second chance and there hasn’t been any indication that he hasn’t taken it seriously.

8. hashsview says: Oct 10, 2012 2:42 PM

If he owns a dog he is treating it very well, no one that fights pits would give them Milk Bones and keep them inside. I am more worried about his ball control then his selection of doggie snacks.

9. rugbyisbetter says: Oct 10, 2012 2:42 PM

I mean he did terrible things with those dogs. But when you look at how he went to Jail (aka, correction center), it sounds like he is trying to correct himself.
    What better way for him to appreciate dogs then by having one in his house with his daughter to love and enjoy. Let him continue to be outspoken against the things he’s done, and let him continue to learn why everyone loves their household pet so much, and why everyone was up in arms at finding out what he did.
    Let the thumbs down begin….

10. packermama says: Oct 10, 2012 2:43 PM

It may take the huge heart of a dog to heal this for Vick. Seems like a positive thing.

11. realitypolice says: Oct 10, 2012 2:43 PM

He paid his price for his crimes, and like any other ex-con, he has a right to earn a living.

He may even be sorry for what he did, or at least for getting caught. And I am not saying he would ever fight dogs again.

But in my mind, there are two types of people in the world: those who are capable of viscously torturing and murdering animals, and those who aren’t.

Those who are simply shouldn’t have dogs, period.

12. footballgenius55 says: Oct 10, 2012 2:43 PM

I am one of the first to comment on this good. I knew this was coming from mike at some point this week. It’s amazing how this story is even worth a post. Nobody else has mention this at all just another way to attack Vick. Lets get this point out there so everyone can understand Vick is the quarterback and that will not change Andy Reid knows what he has in him. Just stop for a minute and think about what people say change QB’S to what a player who is a rookie wow just a shame. Even if he has a dog big deal you know what people hunt deer all the time no one cares about that. Just deal with it he is to good to give up on so now make up some lame reason to still diss him.

I’ll wait.

13. popdawg99 says: Oct 10, 2012 2:44 PM

Mike Vick’s dog (assuming he owns one), is in absolutely no danger.

14. hawkforlife says: Oct 10, 2012 2:44 PM

Hope it’s a poodle.

15. dickc82 says: Oct 10, 2012 2:45 PM

I think it would be great for Vick’s daughter to own and love a dog. Then when she hears what he did to his dogs he has to explain it to her. I bet the “it was the culture” excuse doesn’t fly to well with the little lady.

16. dannyreneau says: Oct 10, 2012 2:46 PM

My gradma use to own a poodle. I’d go over there and try and play fetch with it but the poor thing couldn’t hold onto the ball. I bet Vick owns a poodle.

17. deathmonkey41 says: Oct 10, 2012 2:46 PM

Did he name the dog Fumbles?

18. bitw13 says: Oct 10, 2012 2:46 PM

You media guys are so annoying. I love the tone that you write this in. “Oh well he wrote a book about a personal life but NOW he doesn’t want to talk about it.” Like you’re just so damn bothered by it. Who. Cares.

19. pacific123ocean says: Oct 10, 2012 2:46 PM

He paid the punishment…so, leave him alone.

20. negadelphian says: Oct 10, 2012 2:46 PM

When asked the question his reply should have been “That’s a clown question brah”

21. cw3214 says: Oct 10, 2012 2:47 PM

Nobody complained when Roethlisberger got a wife.

22. raider17 says: Oct 10, 2012 2:47 PM

I will never understand the compulsion to let everyone in the world know every step you make every minute of the day! Why in the world did he feel compelled to share the picture of him and his daaughter working together? Maybe I’m just a private person, I just don’t get it! Oh well!

Al Davis Forever!!!
    Just Win Baby!!!

23. bk831 says: Oct 10, 2012 2:49 PM

What he did was terrible, but he served his sentence. I have no problem with it. Forgiveness, second chance.

24. jibberator says: Oct 10, 2012 2:49 PM

Maybe we should all go to the humane society and call them animal killers too.

25. matthewcarlson1 says: Oct 10, 2012 2:50 PM

Another 9 figure contract and he gets to own more dogs? Yup justice was served here.

26. daburgher says: Oct 10, 2012 2:50 PM

I really hope the dog is being treated well. this guys was rather comfortable with beating, drowning, and electrocuting dogs. to me, you have to be a psychopath to do such a thing

27. randomguy9999 says: Oct 10, 2012 2:54 PM

yes, the guy paid his debt to society….

no, that doesn’t mean he will magically treat animals properly in the future….. in fact, most people who abuse animals continue to do so, the same way people who abuse other people keep doing it…

he shouldn’t be allowed to have pets…. ever…

28. phonymcringring says: Oct 10, 2012 2:58 PM

He may have done his time, but that was only for the crimes he committed. Completing a jail term does not automatically make him a good person who is fit to own the same type of animal he tortured and murdered several times over. There are a lot of things people should not do, even though they are “allowed” to.

29. tcmiller30 says: Oct 10, 2012 3:00 PM

I think the people who are upset about this (me included) don’t think the punishment was enough, and that’s why him owning a dog is a story. Owning a pet is a privilege, not a right, and for me, he fumbled those rights away.

30. dgforreal says: Oct 10, 2012 3:00 PM

He did the time.

It could be rehabilitative for him to own another dog.

31. nflfan22 says: Oct 10, 2012 3:01 PM

Classic sports media B move. Athlete politely exercises their right to not answer a question. Media shows their usual complete lack of class by trashing them for it.

32. anthonyverna says: Oct 10, 2012 3:06 PM

If Ray Lewis’ past has been swept under the rug and forgotten to everyone, it amazes me how Vick’s past is continually brought up, especially after spending his 2 years in jail and his bankruptcy proceedings.

I would think he has paid his debt to society and was justly punished already.

33. blaq007 says: Oct 10, 2012 3:07 PM

randomguy9999 says:
    Oct 10, 2012 2:54 PM
    yes, the guy paid his debt to society….

he shouldn’t be allowed to have pets…. ever…
    ——————————————–
    any idiot can say that. fact is, you have no authority to judge anyone; neither do I. you also don’t have the right to say that this man doesn’t deserve a second chance. we’ve all done things in life that we all regret, and most of us have gotten a second chance. you included. so please, just stop it.

34. vikes8480 says: Oct 10, 2012 3:08 PM

cw3214 says: Oct 10, 2012 2:47 PM

Nobody complained when Roethlisberger got a wife.

_____________________________________

That might be the funniest thing I’ve ever read on this website!!! LOL!!

35. alltimetroll says: Oct 10, 2012 3:10 PM

Honestly, the condescending nature of this article is laughable. Yes, you talk about your personal life when YOU want to. That’s how it works, for you and me, and athletes as well. Its no different here.

No story here. Move on please.

36. sultan420 says: Oct 10, 2012 3:15 PM

who cares??? whats happening to nfl coverage these days?

37. sj39 says: Oct 10, 2012 3:16 PM

He “did his time”, “paid his debt to society”, whatever you want to call it for running an illegal gambling ring. The sick things he did to those dogs there is no suitable punishment for or forgiveness. If you can’t see that you are just as sick.

38. mrlaloosh says: Oct 10, 2012 3:17 PM

Why is this a story? I’ll tell you why. Because he wouldn’t answer some loser sports writers question. The man paid his dues to society. I bet if we were privy to the medias “closets” there would be a huge amount of info they wouldn’t want to get out.
    This is a non- story. Move along people ,nothing to see here.

39. flavordave says: Oct 10, 2012 3:21 PM

I hope he takes care of the dog better than he does the football

40. acasar123 says: Oct 10, 2012 3:23 PM

The sympathy for Michael Vick here makes me want to wretch! Then again, why should I be surprised? It’s nothing more than the leniency, patience, and forebearance this guy has been afforded his entire miserable career! The fact that he is still in the league, not because he’s a dog killer but because he is inept as a quarterback, is ample proof of that reality!

41. mikejd12 says: Oct 10, 2012 3:28 PM

Who cares. He’s right it’s his personal life! Media should stick to questions about work.

42. baily67 says: Oct 10, 2012 3:29 PM

I think he has the right to own a dog, but I also think that he should’ve had to support animal welfare for the rest of his life, support all of those pitbulls that are sent to kill shelters b/c of the bad reputation they have that Vick just made even worse!

43. maddog111 says: Oct 10, 2012 3:35 PM

cw3214 says:
    Oct 10, 2012 2:47 PM
    Nobody complained when Roethlisberger got a wife.
    ———————————————-
    I bet her mom and dad did.

44. mattypbillsmafia says: Oct 10, 2012 3:43 PM

The Roethlisberger comment might have been the funniest thing I’ve ever read on here…

45. eaglesw00t says: Oct 10, 2012 3:47 PM

Who the hell are any of you to say he should or shouldnt be allowed to do anything?

He paid his debt to society and spent his time. He has children. For you to step foot inside of his house and tell him what he is or isnt allowed to provide his children is absurd.

Mind your own damn business.

46. malab377 says: Oct 10, 2012 3:50 PM

Waste of time!
    They should ask him what he’s planning to do to stop converting TDs into fumbles inside the 5 yards line!

47. kingpel says: Oct 10, 2012 3:56 PM

Distractions, distractions, distractions. Its always something with these Philadelphia guys.

48. sfm073 says: Oct 10, 2012 3:56 PM

Why do I keep coming back to this site that’s full of hack writers? He’s in the middle of the season with his job on the line. Is there any wonder why he’s not interested in talking about this?

49. orangebluedonkey says: Oct 10, 2012 3:57 PM

I liked the what did he name him? fumbles. Now that’s funny.
    Roethlisberger comment was funny too

50. yahmule says: Oct 10, 2012 4:07 PM

He’s a lowlife piece of trash and anybody who defends him should be ashamed of themselves.

51. thetokyosandblaster says: Oct 10, 2012 4:14 PM

Who cares? He’s a turnover machine that will never lead a team to a SB win. America’s ugliest city is going to have to wait a long time for a championship…

52. bobhughey says: Oct 10, 2012 4:15 PM

Actually, Roethlisberger having a wife cannot be substantiated since they never actually been seen together…

53. iseegreenpeople says: Oct 10, 2012 4:21 PM

Vick has been responsible for killing a lot of dogs but guess what… Since getting out of prison he has been responsible for saving more dogs than all of us combined. Probably thousands. That should count for something.

54. griff21 says: Oct 10, 2012 4:24 PM

“cw3214 says:
    Oct 10, 2012 2:47 PM

“Nobody complained when Roethlisberger got a wife.”
    _____________________________

I cried laughing so hard at this comment. Best comment ever!

55. cooklynn17 says: Oct 10, 2012 4:26 PM

This prick better not even own a free goldfish from a carnival, let alone a dog.

56. august589 says: Oct 10, 2012 4:35 PM

So Mike Vick owns a dog. (Don’t tell my wife!) While he may legally own a dog, perhaps he didn’t consider the ramifications in the court of public opinion when he acquired the dog. Which is why he said, “No comment,” when asked about it. All that said, it really isn’t anyone’s business if Vick owns a dog. He served his time, he seems to be living a quiet, peaceful life, and seems to be staying out of trouble. Let this story fade…

57. rogergoodellsays says: Oct 10, 2012 4:42 PM

Look he asked me if it was alright if he got a pidoodle (pitbull poodle mixed) I said sure no problem I won’t fine you or punish you because owning any poodle half breed is punishment enough.

Oh and the box isn’t for the dog that’s what he bought instead of teething biscuits mistakenly, he loves those things.

58. 6packsteelers says: Oct 10, 2012 4:44 PM

#1 – Vick spent 23 months in jail for his crimes, he’s served his debt to society.

#2 – Vick now has kids and already mentioned he didn’t want them to not to be able to grow up with pets.

#3 – People have the ability to change, it’s called maturity. I’m certainly not doing some of the idiotic things I was doing in my 20′s.

#4 – In a football press conference, you should talk about football.

I honestly don’t care if Vick owns a dog or not. i think Philly fans should be more concerned with his fumble issues recently.

59. 8to80texansblog says: Oct 10, 2012 4:58 PM

@6packsteelers

Well said.

60. frankdatank23 says: Oct 10, 2012 5:06 PM

the real problem is the question…….. the reporter asking is exploiting vicks situation for personal gains….. Headline material…

61. dannythebisforbeast says: Oct 10, 2012 5:11 PM

I see almost weekly the ramifications of dog fighting, dead, abandoned, starving dogs because it’s cool for a minute. I think if he has a dog it should be a rescued one and not a 5g purebred whatever.
    Don’t care that he owns one but he will always be a lowlife in my eyes.

62. geniusesq says: Oct 10, 2012 5:15 PM

Why can’t we let sleeping dogs lie

63. goldrush36 says: Oct 10, 2012 5:21 PM

I care for dogs more than people most of the time and people like Vick are just an example of why. There is no suitable excuse for the things he did but rich people do some very stupid things. While I don’t believe he should have one, at the same time I believe his daughter shouldn’t be deprived of one. It is one of the best ways to teach a child about unconditional love, responsibility, trust, compassion and friendship. Responsible pet ownership from a young age makes for better people in the long run IMO.

64. bunjy96 says: Oct 10, 2012 5:23 PM

mwatts1 says: Oct 10, 2012 2:36 PM

++++++

Like the vast majority of the uninformed.

Vick never was never prosecuted nor did he go to jail because of how he treated dogs.

He went to jail for interstate betting.

65. jc327 says: Oct 10, 2012 5:38 PM

Mike Vick paid his debt. If he’s capable of now treating a dog well as an owner, than I’m all for him having a dog rather than just having another dog die in a pound, on the street, or at the hands of a dogfighter.

66. cooklynn17 says: Oct 10, 2012 5:40 PM

6packsteelers says: Oct 10, 2012 4:44 PM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Except making stupid posts.

67. nachosnachosnachos says: Oct 10, 2012 5:59 PM

I’m stunned by the amount of people that don’t have a problem with this???

Yeah it’s okay that he owns a dog since he paid his debt to society… Really!? Guess we should let child molesters open up day cares when they get out of jail too right?

68. thelastpieceofcheese says: Oct 10, 2012 6:06 PM

The ASPCA is on red alert

69. skolpackers says: Oct 10, 2012 6:23 PM

seeing all these “thumbs down” icons for all these great comments about how Vick has been a sincere class act, goes to show you how many idiots we have in this country.
    embarrassing.

70. mikeyhigs says: Oct 10, 2012 6:25 PM

A recent study shows that PETA “shelters” animals, yet in 2011, killed 95% of the sheltered animals. 84% of them were killed within 24 hours. I understand that a lot of these dogs werre ferocious and may have needed to be put down eventually, but how could they know that within 24 hours? Think twice before donating to a “charity”

71. c4nnon says: Oct 10, 2012 6:32 PM

Big Ben got married to a woman after alleged sexual assaults…what’s the difference

72. brainfries says: Oct 10, 2012 7:55 PM

Vick is a moron but I highly doubt he will torture or kill his daughters dog.

He is kind of right though on one thing.
    “What goes on in my personal life is not to be talked about. What’s most important right now is the Philadelphia Eagles and getting the win Sunday.”
    WHAT IS MORE IMPORTANT IS.. DONT FUMBLE.
    DONT CARRY THE BALL LIKE A LOAF OF BREAD

73. vicksprman says: Oct 10, 2012 9:28 PM

Can someone enlighten me please, does Leonard Little or Dante Stallworth own driver licenses or cars? Let me answer that I don’t care!!! and they killed people, so why do we care if Mr or Mrs Vick purchased a dog for their kids?

74. tigrrrr says: Oct 10, 2012 10:27 PM

Simply amazing, thinking he paid his debt, so let him do what he wants now… simply amazing! You people just dont get it!

75. chucknorrisrules says: Oct 10, 2012 10:28 PM

We shouldnt assume he has a dog. Maybe his kid likes Milkbones for snacks.

76. antneejay2 says: Oct 10, 2012 10:35 PM

If I saw a box of milk bones on the table, I wouldn’t feel the need to ask the question. Of course, stupidity isn’t one of my strong points.

77. floriosbigtoe says: Oct 10, 2012 10:50 PM

I wonder how many of you would want a convicted pedophile around your kids after they “did their time”? Just because a guy spent a couple years in jail for torturing and murdering animals doesn’t mean he is a changed man.

78. 2ndaryinsanity says: Oct 10, 2012 10:52 PM

Pssst….hey, Mike. When you tweet about your personal life, people are going to, you know…talk about your personal life. What a moron.

79. 2ndaryinsanity says: Oct 11, 2012 12:45 AM

What did Andy Reid say to Mike Vick? “If you fumble one more time I’ll throw you to the dogs.”

80. 2ndaryinsanity says: Oct 11, 2012 1:22 AM

#1 Comparison of what Vick did vs hunting…I don’t think there are many hunters who try to torture the animal before they kill it. In fact, many hunters try extremely hard to kill the animal with one shot. (Personally, I don’t care for hunting for sport but that’s just me).
    #2 comparing what Vick did to animal shelters is downright idiotic. Newsflash: shelters don’t torture the animals before putting them to sleep.
    #3 the illegal dog fighting was bad, but Vick torturing dogs is unforgivable. Its also the sign of a sociopathic POS
    #4 if Vick doesn’t want to answer personal questions he shouldn’t tweet about his personal life
    #5 I feel bad for his child whose friends will know that her dad is not only a crappy QB, but that he went to prison for running an illegal dogfighting ring and that he tortured multiple dogs
    #6 here’s a question for those who play the race card by saying Vick didn’t know better because of his “culture”…. are you really saying that black people think it’s acceptable to drown, beat, hang, and electrocute pit bulls who underperform in the dog fights???
    Just because Vick spent some time in jail doesn’t make him less of a sociopathic POS. The only reason he’s doing PSA’s and other dog rescue activities is because he wanted to rehab his image.
    Vick is a severely cruel and twisted person…his actions have established this. But what’s equally disturbing is all the people who try to justify what he did.

81. raidernation210 says: Oct 11, 2012 7:10 AM

for all of you losers who want to say he served his time and he should be able to own a dog. This how stupid you are…. would you let a pedophile teach your child or coach them if they served their time. Please you people are nothing bunch a bunch of low lifes who try to defend a criminal

82. raidernation210 says: Oct 11, 2012 7:20 AM

vicksprman says:
    Oct 10, 2012 9:28 PM

————————————————-
    I will enlighted you, you moron. Since you are to stupid to know the difference. Is that Little and Stallworth made a mistake. They didn’t intentionally kill anbody. It is a mistake they will have to live with the rest of their lives.

Where as in Vick’s case you have some hood low life ghetto piece of shyte who chooses to run a criminal empire in where durgs are sold, gambling is done, dogs are brutally tourtured and murderd and state laws are broken. BIG DIFFERENCE than what the other two did you moron..get a cluem instead of walking around this planet being as dumb as your are. Thanks

83. vicksprman says: Oct 11, 2012 1:39 PM

@raidernation yes you have enlightened me, that you are an idiot again my question is why should we care? And I assume the families of the people that those two killed doesn’t look at as a mistake. Thank you now who’s the moron again?

84. vicksprman says: Oct 11, 2012 1:50 PM

Also @raidernation that nonsense that you typed makes you seem very bitter like Mike Vick is taking food off your table or money out of your bank account geez calm down.

85. bleedeaglegreen says: Oct 11, 2012 2:57 PM

@vicksprman

If anyone sounds bitter it’s you. Is Vick putting money in your bank account or putting food on your table?

How much do you know about the Donte Stallworth situation? Are you aware that the victim’s family advocated for him? The man stepped off the curb right in front of him, anyone would have hit the guy Stallworth killed. In addition, Donte stayed on site & manned up, he called 911 himself & apologized to the victim’s family. He made a horrible mistake & then told the truth. He didn’t intend to kill anyone that night.

Vick intentionally tortured animals multiple times a week for 6 years. When he was caught, he lied to anyone & everyone until he was so backed into a corner he had to plea bargain because if he ever went to trial for his actions, he would have gotten much much more than 23 months.

Stallworth went out & make a mistake, that’s why they are called accidents. Vick intentionally got off on torturing helpless creatures & did it many many times over a long period of time. That’s the difference.

And if you don’t care, why do you have a screen name promoting Vick & why comment on something you don’t care about?

86. svengali666 says: Oct 11, 2012 4:27 PM

I’m sick of the tired “he paid his debt” argument. Anyone who has ever done time knows that sentences often include clauses to prevent the crime you committed from ever happening again.

For instance, many convicted of computer crimes are never allowed to work with computers ever again. Try getting a job after that!

So if you torture and kill animals, it stands to reason you should never be allowed to own them again, even after your prison sentence is up. Common sense.

PS: He’s a convicted felon who makes millions of dollars to entertain. Stop acting like he’s being persecuted.

87. vicksprman says: Oct 11, 2012 5:11 PM

@raidernation, I don’t know you or what type character you have so let me send you this apology for the prior name calling. @bleedeaglegreen I am a Vick and an Eagles fan. You should be worried about his fumbling not whether he owns a dog!!!!

88. bleedeaglegreen says: Oct 11, 2012 6:25 PM

@ vicksprman

Can’t wait for to him to be out as our QB. Mike Vick is a turnover machine & always has been. He’s never posted back to back winning seasons. He’s a career 2-3 in postseason including a 1 & done for us. He never delivers when the game is on the line. He’s not half the QB number 5 was. At least 5 took us to 5 NFC championship games & a SB. Vick will never sniff a SB. He is one of the most over rated players to ever wear an Eagles uniform. His Eagles rep is based upon 2 games. You feel the need to stick up for him as your QB, that’s up to you. He’s a NFG POS that tortured hurt animals for fun, he should be around dogs as much as Sandusky should be around children.