A chance Sunday could be Brady Quinn’s last

Baltimore Ravens v Kansas City Chiefs Getty Images

Chiefs quarterback Brady Quinn’s trying to keep things in perspective.

But those around him know the chance to start for a concussed Matt Cassel this week would be a chance to reclaim a career for the former first-round pick.

There is no bigger picture,” Quinn said, via Adam Teicher of the Kansas City Star. “Tampa is a good team. We’ve got a big challenge ahead of us. There’s no need for me or anyone else to be looking further than this week or even tomorrow’s preparation.”

It’s been a long time since Quinn has started a game. Sunday’s relief appearance was his first time on the field since Dec. 20, 2009.

And at 27 (ironically, younger than the rookie quarterback the Browns are starting in his former place), there’s still a chance for Quinn to get his feet back underneath him professionally.

Chiefs coach Romeo Crennel was in Cleveland when Quinn was picked 22nd overall in 2007, and admitted the sinkhole that was the Browns offense made it hard to evaluate him.

“He was a good talent coming out,” Crennel said. “There’s no doubt about it. He was a productive quarterback and had command of the offense that he ran up at Notre Dame and the weapons he had with him.

“When he got to us, we didn’t have quite as many weapons as he had there at Notre Dame and he was learning a new system and so he wasn’t quite as effective as he had been at Notre Dame. Then he got hurt also. That impacted his development. That made it tough to make a solid evaluation of him.”

Kansas coach Charlie Weis, who had him at Notre Dame, said he thinks Quinn can still succeed.

“I know when I went into Notre Dame, they’d had a couple .500 seasons, or right about that, and I know that we went to two BCS games in the first two years that I was at Notre Dame and one of the main reasons was Brady Quinn,” Weis said. “And when he left, I told the people, the fans and everyone that you’re really going to miss this kid when he’s gone. And we went 3-9 the next year.

“So there’s a lot to say for what that kid did for Notre Dame when I was there. We won a lot of football games and he carried the torch. He was clearly the leader.”

Then again, this isn’t Notre Dame, and if Quinn has now been buried in Cleveland and on the bench in Denver behind Kyle Orton and Tim Tebow.

If this is a chance, it might be his last chance.

Permalink 17 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Kansas City Chiefs, Rumor Mill
17 Responses to “A chance Sunday could be Brady Quinn’s last”
  1. nfcbeastly says: Oct 11, 2012 9:25 AM

I am in the minority, but I still think Quinn can have an impact in the NFL. Look what he did with a very poor Browns team early on in his career. I will be rooting for the guy.

2. cuda1234 says: Oct 11, 2012 9:25 AM

He should have gotten a chance last year when he earned the second string gig in Denver, but the media-driven Tebow-mania lunacy may have cost him his career.

Another reminder that you can’t cross Timmy.

3. baloneyjohn says: Oct 11, 2012 9:32 AM

I think this is correct.
    Letting Kyle Orton go, was a horrible decision. He was/is an overrated QB from an overrated, at then, Notre Dame.

4. jjackwagon says: Oct 11, 2012 9:34 AM

Quinn: What are the chances of a guy like me being your starting QB long term?
    Peoli: Well, that’s pretty difficult to say.
    Quinn: Hit me with it! I’ve come a long way to see you, Scott. The least you can do is level with me. What are my chances?
    Peoli: Not good.
    Quinn: You mean, not good like one out of a hundred?
    Peoli: I’d say more like one out of a million.
    [pause]
    Quinn: So you’re telling me there’s a chance

5. randallflagg52 says: Oct 11, 2012 9:35 AM

That and Derek Anderson.

6. joetoronto says: Oct 11, 2012 9:46 AM

Translation:

“He was a good college QB but he stands no chance in the NFL.

He’s a good kid though.”

7. jtfawver says: Oct 11, 2012 9:46 AM

Quinn isnt the long term answer…

However people saying things like “0” chance havent watched enough NFL.

Doug Flutie and Kurt Warner had “0” chance.

Am I saying Quinn WILL be Kurt Warner, NO. But is there at least some chance for a former 1st round pick to get it together late, Yes.

All in All I think he can manage a game better than Cassel, but will get replaced next year in the draft. Time will tell.

8. commonsenseisnotcmonman says: Oct 11, 2012 9:54 AM

I don’t expect much, but until the offseason happens I will take a crappy QB who started in college over a crappy QB who never started in college.

9. jeagan1999 says: Oct 11, 2012 10:34 AM

The Bucs are gonna chew Brady Quinn up and spit him back out!

10. ernie ernie says: Oct 11, 2012 10:46 AM

I just havent had the opportunity to see him play that much when he did play, so the my only guess on this guy is he can’t read defenses very well or his passing flat out sucks.
    Tavaris J had the same problem. Whenever the D backs moved around he could not connect the dots down field mentally.
    But for some reason he has been second or third banana everywhere he went and rarely changed anyones mind on that.

11. zerole00 says: Oct 11, 2012 11:18 AM

The Cleveland Browns, where rookie careers are killed and old careers go to die.

12. mazblast says: Oct 11, 2012 11:34 AM

Good luck, Brady. You’re going to need it, considering the lack of talent on the team assembled by the former Patriot GM, coached by a former Patriot DC, and usually quarterbacked by a former Patriot.

Charlie Weis’ recommendation doesn’t carry the weight it once did, except perhaps around his ex-Patriot pals. How’s that “decided schematic advantage” working out for ya, Cheeseburger Charlie?

13. kcnative says: Oct 11, 2012 1:02 PM

@mazblast

Yeah, Charles, Bowe, Breaston, Baldwin, Moeoki and the Oline really suck.

Anyone who knows anything can tell you that QB is the missing piece of this puzzle.

14. letafan4ever says: Oct 11, 2012 1:04 PM

I’m glad to see Brady getting an opportunity. He is a class act, great team member, with a GREAT Work Ethic, despite some bad breaks as a Pro.
    He deserved the #2 at Kansas City. They gave up on him too soon in Cleveland, never gave him a fair chance in Denver and now he has been given an opportunity.
    I wish him and the team well and hope Cassel is alright.

15. NoWearMan says: Oct 11, 2012 1:07 PM

Let’s not let actual facts get in the way of stooopid commentary.

Bottom line? Quinn held out in his rookie year. Like an idiot. His hold out allowed for the Year of Anderson. He cooked his own goose by holding out.

I blame the mess that is Brady Quinn’s career squarely on Brady and his agent. He would have been handed that starting gig in cleveland.

stupid.

16. hoopieguy says: Oct 11, 2012 2:10 PM

Quinn and McCoy have much in common. Size, arm strength, happy feet. I hope Quinn does well, but don’t bet on it.

17. randallflagg52 says: Oct 11, 2012 5:05 PM

hoopieguy says:Oct 11, 2012 2:10 PM

==================================

Is this Colt McCoy we are talking about? McCoy is nowhere near as big or strong armed as Quinn.