Bears raising funds for Jacksonville murder victim

Chicago Bears v Jacksonville Jaguars Getty Images

A Bears fan who traveled to watch the team play was murdered early Sunday in Jacksonville.  Now, Bears tight end Kellen Davis is raising money for the victim’s family.

Per various media reports, 27-year-old Matthew Hinson slashed the throat of 42-year-old William “Chris” Pettry in cold blood at a Jacksonville Landing pub because Pettry had been talking to Hinson’s wife.  According to ESPNChicago.com, Davis and his agent will conduct a Saturday fundraiser for Pettry’s wife and three children.

“My heart goes out to the Pettry family that lost their loved one over a senseless act,” Davis said.  “I wanted to show my support when I heard about this, so I started a donation page and am participating in a fundraiser that my team helped put together.”

We definitely support the effort.  If you want to support the effort, click here.

Permalink 13 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Chicago Bears, Home, Rumor Mill
13 Responses to “Bears raising funds for Jacksonville murder victim”
  1. claymatthewshairplugs says: Oct 11, 2012 10:12 PM

While I don’t condone talking to and potentially flirting with another guy’s lady, but REALLY slashing a guy’s throat over that. come on that’s way to far. If the husband had a beef with the guy settle it with fists, not weapons. Too many tough guys now solving their problems with guns and knives instead of knuckling up. Because of 2 bad decisions a wife and two kids are left without a husband/slash father. As a Bears fan, good for Kellen Davis for stepping up and trying to lend a helping hand.

Go Bears!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bear down!

2. itsthemelman82 says: Oct 11, 2012 10:15 PM

1st class organization & 1st class players… I’m proud to be a Bears fan!

3. shoeflypie says: Oct 11, 2012 10:28 PM

Had to look twice here considering the juxtaposition of the title of this post and the next one on the Home Page:
    “Bears raising funds for Jacksonville murder victim”
    “Of whistle blowers and witnesses.”

Gotta watch those whistle blowers and witnesses.

4. hardate says: Oct 11, 2012 10:31 PM

DUUUVVALLL!!!

5. preseasonchamps08 says: Oct 11, 2012 10:37 PM

I’m the farthest thing from a Chicago Bears fan, but this story makes me a huge Kellen Davis fan.

6. beefbus says: Oct 11, 2012 10:50 PM

Well done Kellen. I was wondering if they would offer support for his family.

7. thegreatgabbert says: Oct 11, 2012 11:58 PM

Somehow I think that the horrible act would have occurred if Chris was in town promoting lawnmowers, and Bugs Bunny reruns were showing on the television above the bar. But, whatever.

8. kylehealy says: Oct 12, 2012 12:54 AM

Class act, Kellen. Though I might not be a Bears fan, first and foremost I’m a football fan. It’s important to remember this is a GAME based on sportsmanship and respect. Thoughts and prayers go out to Mr. William Pettry and his family.

9. nathanbetz91 says: Oct 12, 2012 3:08 AM

such a bittersweet story, it hurts to know that someone could do that to someone else for something as small as that and makes you think that it could happen to anyone. but at the same time makes you feel good that someone far away could be looking out for you and you might not know it. just depressing to read/hear about something like this.

10. nytroutdog says: Oct 12, 2012 7:39 AM

Left a donation…please do the same. This is so absurd and this family needs our support.

11. kingpel says: Oct 12, 2012 7:48 AM

It is good to see players step up when they really dont have to.

12. mialto says: Oct 12, 2012 8:36 AM

The guy was talking to another woman…where is the crime in that???!!! We are adults, its called socializing, this isn’t grade school. Even if Pettry was flirting, which is irrelevant, wouldn’t justify this animals behavior.

Hinson get ready to embrace to 1st Degree Murder charges in the State of Florida, Death Penalty.

13. zappa69 says: Oct 12, 2012 8:37 AM