Kyle Williams trying to make amends for last year’s mistakes

Buffalo Bills v San Francisco 49ers Getty Images

No 49ers player has more to make amends for this weekend than Kyle Williams.

Which is why he didn’t bother trying to make Sunday’s NFC Championship Game rematch with the Giants just another game.

“After what happened last year, I definitely want to get back at these guys,” Williams said, via Matt Barrows of the Sacramento Bee. “We look at it as if they have something that we should have had. We’re going to make sure we don’t leave anything on the field again.”

Like, you know, the football.

Williams’ two fumbles on punt returns were signature plays, burned into the memory of anyone who saw the game. The second one set up the Giants’ game-winning field goal in overtime.

Asked if that play would be in the 49ers collective head, the guy who stripped it said he expected so.

I’m pretty sure,” Giants linebacker Jacquian Williams said, via Jenny Vrentas of the Newark Star-Ledger. “I’m pretty sure any team would be. They’ll be aware of it, but I don’t expect them to shy away from what their plans are to do. I don’t expect them to fair catch it or anything.”

If nothing else, the fumbles changed the way Williams approached the offseason, increasing his workouts. He came back stronger, and has handled returns without a hitch and caught his first touchdown pass last week.

So as much as it will be on his mind, he’s at ease going into the game.

“I’m comfortable in the way I approach every single game,” Williams said. “I’ll be comfortable this week going into it. I can’t wait. I’m not trying to do too much. We don’t need anyone to do too much on this team. Everybody plays their role and does what they have to do. We’ll be fine. We’re a great team.”

Of course, Williams knows better than anyone how an individual mistake can overshadow team success.

Permalink 18 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, New York Giants, Rumor Mill, San Francisco 49ers
18 Responses to “Kyle Williams trying to make amends for last year’s mistakes”
  1. fuglyflorio says: Oct 11, 2012 10:34 AM

The Niners are a good 6 point favorites. They’re hot … playing at home. A win by SF will establish them as the team to beat in the NFC. A Giants’ win under these circumstances will be a huge victory, and go a long way in righting an already injury-filled season. But of course we’ll then have to put up with more whining and crying from the Niners.

2. 49erstim says: Oct 11, 2012 10:36 AM

He has seemed more focused than ever. He has played well thus far, but this is not the week to rest on ones laurels.

3. kleppnasty says: Oct 11, 2012 10:59 AM

As a 9ers fan, the dropped punts were awful. But Kyle’s resilience and character afterward are commendable. Add the fact that he is playing extremely well and I for one am a huge fan of him. Hope Jed’s wish comes true and Kyle has an amazing season.

4. kev86 says: Oct 11, 2012 11:00 AM

It’s not like the Niners could move the ball anyway. Williams helped speed up the inevitable.

Frisco wasnt good enough to win.

They look improved on offense through the first five weeks but the sample size is too small to say they can beat the champions.

We’ll see.

5. briank1ne says: Oct 11, 2012 11:04 AM

chip on his shoulder… i love it. what does not kill us only makes us stronger.

6. romoscollarbone says: Oct 11, 2012 11:35 AM

He needs to be careful and play within himself. You can’t make up for last year, with play this year. New season, new goals, new everything. That’s the past. Shouldn’t even be part of his thought process on Sunday.

Here’s to hoping for a thrilling game.

7. skittlesareyum says: Oct 11, 2012 12:19 PM

Is it just me, or can Kyle not make amends for those mistakes? Those fumbles cost the 49ers the NFC championship game. If he returns 4 punts for TDs he will still not have made full amends. It’s just what it is. A regular season game can’t match up to the playoffs.

I’m not a 49ers fan who’s pissed with Williams, It has nothing to do with the team or the player.

8. oaktown49er says: Oct 11, 2012 12:21 PM

“We’re going to make sure we don’t leave anything on the field again.” LOL…. I speak for all Niner fans when I say… that would be much appreciated Kyle.

9. ninerhatersgetready4ring6 says: Oct 11, 2012 12:21 PM

@Kev89

I don’t remember the Giants moving the ball that well on the Niners either. Eli threw the ball like 50 something times.
    Prior to the first muffed punt by Kyle in the 4th quarter the Niners were up 14-10 if I can recall and had the momentum. If there was no blunder on that play, the Niners no doubt score and go up 21-10 with 7 minutes left in the game. That was a 11 point swing on that series. Also, Bradshaw’s fumble was a bad call as well.
    The Giants offense was non-existent in the second half and Eli took a beating but You have to give the Giants credit, they played better that day and got the win.
    KEV89, let’s see if you are man enough to come on and post a comment after the Niners blowout the Giants Sunday. We will see.

10. justintuckrule says: Oct 11, 2012 12:27 PM

He’s giving himself a complex talking about it so much. I can easily see him booting another.

11. justintuckrule says: Oct 11, 2012 12:27 PM

I got ten bucks on those mangy SF fans giving Williams a bronx cheer after he catches his first punt.

12. discosucs2005 says: Oct 11, 2012 1:13 PM

Anyone else think the picture in this article looks like that one scene from Platoon?

13. kev86 says: Oct 11, 2012 1:21 PM

What position does Kyle Williams play other than punt returner that fumbles in the big moments?

14. gcsuk says: Oct 11, 2012 1:25 PM

ninerhatersgetready4ring6 says: Oct 11, 2012 12:21 PM

@Kev89

———————————————————————

So, in the first 53 minutes of the game, all the 49ers had mustered was 2 Vernon Davis TDs ( 1 in the 1st Quarter, 1 in the 3rd), other than that they also had trouble moving the ball. 1 reception by a WR, 3 catches by Davis that accounted for 112 of Smiths 196 yards on the day.

Yet you can say “No doubt” the 49ers get a TD on that drive to go up by 11? What had they done previously to make it SO OBVIOUS that they score so easily? Talk about a homer statement.

15. yournuts says: Oct 11, 2012 1:33 PM

Last year is over, the 49ers lost. There is nothing to make amends for in a regular season game. This game is not a do or die for either team.

16. yournuts says: Oct 11, 2012 1:42 PM

49er fans are dumb if they think that this game is any different than any regular season game! Arrogant 49er fools, you haven’t won anything yet. You lost the NFC Championship to the Giants last year and they went on and won the Super Bowl. Get over it, you can blow out the Jets and other weak teams all year, but when you lose in the playoffs you are forgotten.

17. justintuckrule says: Oct 11, 2012 2:44 PM

Posts from 49ers fans is all the proof I need that most of the world’s pot supply is grown in norCal.

The pearl from ninerhater6ring extrapolating an 11 point swing if KW didn’t fumble must have been written after taking the mother of all bong hits.

In all seriousness, this is going to be a great game. I for one LOVE the fact that the 9ers are back and I am really happy to see that they play football the way our founding fathers intended it. NYG-SF is a fantastic rivalry. Both teams hit first and ask questions later. The uniforms are visually appealing. I’m glad the game is in SF b/c that stadium rocks compared to the Meadowlands and the grass/weather/mud element is a beautiful thing. Both fanbases must agree that we hope this isn’t the only time they play this year.

18. jmota222 says: Oct 11, 2012 5:22 PM

Well said @justintuckrule I would love to see the rematch without having seen Sundays game….. Very excited for Sunday