William Powell waited for the shot he’s getting now

Miami Dolphins v Arizona Cardinals Getty Images

When Ryan Williams was injured, the Cardinals were willing to go with the running backs they have on hand because they trusted them.

Even though one of them was working in a Best Buy warehouse a year ago.

William Powell could actually be the main ball-carrier Sunday against the Bills, a year removed from driving a forklift.

It’s been a long road,” Powell said, via Kent Somers of the Arizona Republic. “And with a long road, you never forget what you went through to get here. I try to keep that fresh in my mind, at all times, so it will never let me give in.”

Powell will be backing up LaRod Stephens-Howling, but his recent hip flexor injury could give others chances to run. And that would set the stage for an incredible story.

Powell only carried the ball 23 times at the Division I level in college, transferring from Kansas State to Navarro College. The Cardinals signed him as an undrafted rookie last year, but he was waived in final cuts and wasn’t added back to the practice squad until late in the year.

So in the interim, he got a job in the warehouse, and waited.

“I never doubted I would get a shot,” Powell said, “but you never know what your future can bring. The best you can do is be prepared for it.”

He’ll get his chance now to show up on the highlights of all those televisions he was stacking not that long ago.

Permalink 9 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Arizona Cardinals, Home, Rumor Mill
9 Responses to “William Powell waited for the shot he’s getting now”
  1. knackstermyea says: Oct 11, 2012 3:44 PM

Wow now thats a great story. Hope he has much success.

2. miguelc2012 says: Oct 11, 2012 3:48 PM

Powell Sucks

3. blacknole08 says: Oct 11, 2012 3:51 PM

Luckily for Powell he is playing the Bills. He should rack up 100 yards easily.

4. fordmandalay says: Oct 11, 2012 3:58 PM

And I think this says it all about the Cards organization. Did they pick up their O-line in the back of a truck from a Home Depot parking lot?

5. beedubyatoo says: Oct 11, 2012 4:01 PM

William Powell was a great motion picture actor in the 1940′s and 1950′s. I didn’t know he had a new gig.

6. westclaims says: Oct 11, 2012 4:19 PM

I have confidence in Powell. A lot of Cards fans do.

7. mossnomore says: Oct 11, 2012 4:28 PM

Hopefully he’s good because “The Forklift” would be a sweet nickname.

8. rg3andout says: Oct 11, 2012 4:30 PM

Powell Sucks

maybe its just his o-line does!!!! he had a decent preseason, but i would gamble on alex green from GB having a better time running that powell

9. gromit45 says: Oct 11, 2012 4:43 PM

Love underdog stories like this. I hope he does well. Nothing better in the league than successful undrafted players.