Bucs go with ticketless tickets

masabi-ticketless-ticketing-20120425-144316 Getty Images

The team that hasn’t had to print an abundance of tickets lately could soon have to print none.

The Buccaneers have become the first team to use paperless ticketing, with tickets purchased via a smartphone — and the phone then scanned upon entry to the stadium.

“We are always looking to enhance our fans’ gameday experience and keep the Buccaneers on the cutting-edge, so it’s thrilling to be the first team in the league to implement these mobile ticketing programs,” Bucs Vice President of Business Administration Brian Ford said in a press release.

Though no amount of widgets and gadgets will persuade folks to pay to watch a team that isn’t consistently competitive, little things like this will, in combination with other innovations, enhance the in-stadium experience.

Permalink 24 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
24 Responses to “Bucs go with ticketless tickets”
  1. mcconnellrules says: Oct 12, 2012 1:45 PM

Iphone > Blackberry

That is all.

2. dallascowboysdishingthereal says: Oct 12, 2012 1:50 PM

Now if Bucs fans will just buy tickets…

3. xsorethumbx says: Oct 12, 2012 1:58 PM

so sending their tickets by email is enhancing the overall game day experience ???
    that marketing director deserves a huge raise.

4. harrisonhits2 says: Oct 12, 2012 2:00 PM

I don’t like it. I have all my ticket stubs and the Pats for example print many tickets with photos on them that make each game ticket unique in a nice way from all the others.

5. milkmandanimal says: Oct 12, 2012 2:07 PM

Always exciting to find new ways for people to not actually buy tickets.

6. thegreatgabbert says: Oct 12, 2012 2:12 PM

Smart users of smart phones are reclining in the shade in the park across the street watching the game on their phone. When they’re not watching the smart looking ladies jog by in tight spandex.

7. kingpel says: Oct 12, 2012 2:13 PM

I dont like this either. The ticket stub has always been a cool and inexpensive way to commemorate an event. I hope the REAL football markets realize this and keep the old fashioned stubs.

8. marty2020 says: Oct 12, 2012 2:14 PM

“…no amount of widgets and gadgets will persuade folks to pay to watch a team that isn’t consistently competitive…”

So why do people keep saying that these consistently non-competitive teams should move to another city? If no amount of widgets and gadgets will persuade folks to pay to watch a team that isn’t consistently competitive, then no one’s going to watch them in LA or London either!

9. jaimelh02 says: Oct 12, 2012 2:15 PM

Sounds like an easier way to sneak into the game without paying

10. wallacejay says: Oct 12, 2012 2:25 PM

I may be talking crazy, but I think winning might enhance the in-stadium experience.

11. huffdaddyco says: Oct 12, 2012 2:27 PM

““We are always looking to enhance our fans’ gameday experience and keep the Buccaneers on the cutting-edge…”

Except, of course, by enhancing the on-field product.

12. gerryb323 says: Oct 12, 2012 2:33 PM

kingpel, soon you’ll probably be charged for the privilege of a ticket stub to commemorate the experience!

13. brianfromcanada says: Oct 12, 2012 2:34 PM

What happens if you drop your phone or it goes dead in the parking lot? No game for you. I will take a paper ticket anyday!

14. chace1986 says: Oct 12, 2012 2:35 PM

Wanna enhance the gameday experience….get us a new QB.

15. mikemjr12 says: Oct 12, 2012 2:45 PM

This is just a way to save money on printing the actual tickets. Pretty sure people are more focused on the team itself then how they get into the stadium

16. lippy4246 says: Oct 12, 2012 2:46 PM

Sounds like a team that is cheap with player spending, that went cheap on hiring it’s new coach decided to save some cash on printing tickets. This is one reason (other than the losing) that the value of the franchise has declined. The Glazers have a loser’s mentality and are more worried about that soccer team in England

17. mp42245 says: Oct 12, 2012 2:49 PM

Wondering if they’re selling the app for that at 34¢ on the dollar?

18. realfann says: Oct 12, 2012 2:55 PM

Kinda like the football-less games they’ve been showing.

19. jebdamone says: Oct 12, 2012 3:07 PM

not news. I’ve gotten emailed tickets with barcodes on them and scanned them off my iPhone for Vikings games. this is just the last step.

20. wolfpack152 says: Oct 12, 2012 3:32 PM

Hmmm – so now if you scalp purchase – you also have the priviledge of giving away your personal email address. “Dude, $750 – Four 50 yard line seats, I promise – just give me the money and ill email you – its legit I promise!” I think letting in Bucs fans for free would be a start – put the NFL ticket on the big screen- give them alternative viewing choices so they can avoid the ineptitude in the stadium.

21. ee00ee says: Oct 12, 2012 3:56 PM

I fail to see how eliminating customers that don’t use a smart phone will in any way increase attendance.

22. thingamajig says: Oct 12, 2012 4:17 PM

“little things like this will, in combination with other innovations, enhance the in-stadium experience.”

I doubt it.

23. fiddytucker says: Oct 12, 2012 9:35 PM

I am a shmuck… Yes a AZ Cardinals fan. I have stubs from when my ” kinda good ” team was a crap ass cheap owner dump of a team. I also have my Falcons and Eagles playoff supper bowl run season ticket stubs.
    For some reason, when going to the dance comes once in a blue moon, you really like memories like that.

24. petedutcher says: Oct 15, 2012 10:11 PM

You guys really don’t get it. To begin with you clearly don’t know anything real about the Bucs.

But the thing you have all failed miserably at figuring out? This is the first move toward elimination ticket scalping altogether.

Because seco d hand tickets do not help prevent blackouts.