Everson Griffen rejoins Vikings, will play Sunday

Everson Griffen, Matthew Stafford AP

On Wednesday, the mother of Vikings defensive end Everson Griffen died suddenly while visiting Griffen in Minnesota.  On Friday, Griffen rejoined the team — and he is expected to play on Sunday.

“He said he felt like this is what his mom would want him to do, be here today and play in the game and that’s why he’s here,” coach Leslie Frazier said Friday, via comments distributed by the team.

Frazier said that, as a result, Griffen will travel to Washington with the Vikings, and he’ll play in Sunday’s game.

Also likely to play are Adrian Peterson (ankle) and Percy Harvin (hamstring), according to Frazier.

Permalink 21 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Minnesota Vikings, Rumor Mill, Washington Redskins
21 Responses to “Everson Griffen rejoins Vikings, will play Sunday”
  1. flvikesfan says: Oct 12, 2012 4:34 PM

I hope you have a MONSTER game Everson!! Make your mom proud, kick some a**!!

2. btwicey says: Oct 12, 2012 4:37 PM

Stay strong brother, tough times

3. jwreck says: Oct 12, 2012 4:50 PM

Why does every Minnesota player have to be so motivated this week? With all due respect to the Griffen family, of course.

4. bleedburgandyandgold says: Oct 12, 2012 4:53 PM

I hope he has a monster game for his mom. And if doesn’t at least he’s playing in her honor and that’s all that matters.

5. 7ransponder says: Oct 12, 2012 5:08 PM

Blow ‘em up for your Mom, Everson, we will be cheering you on! One Griffen is going to destroy the other Griffen III (if Agent Harrison Smith doesn’t get to him first).

This is going to be a fun game!

6. 7ransponder says: Oct 12, 2012 5:09 PM

jwreck says:
    Oct 12, 2012 4:50 PM

—————————

A big group of players went over to Everson’s house after the passing of his mom and they had a big solidarity moment, according to Coach Frazier.

7. barroomhero80 says: Oct 12, 2012 5:12 PM

Stay strong, play strong Griffen

8. thepvyharvin says: Oct 12, 2012 6:43 PM

Oh man! Sucks to be the Redskins,,,veterans and rookies alike will be inspired by Everson being there for his team. E, not RG will be the best Griffen!

9. 86chawk says: Oct 12, 2012 7:58 PM

Not a Vikings fan but i hope this kid has the game of his life to honor his mothers memory! Prayers for you and your family Everson Griffen.

10. varedskin says: Oct 12, 2012 8:05 PM

Condolences to you and your family.

11. zn0rseman says: Oct 12, 2012 9:04 PM

Get some.

12. zygizag says: Oct 12, 2012 9:44 PM

Should be a good game. I hope the field is in good conition so AD and Percy cna make great cuts.

Just for fun the VIKES

13. zygizag says: Oct 12, 2012 9:46 PM

Just for fun the VIKES should let WEB pass a long one or shoot it out of bounds if covered and then run a planned scramble. SKOL VIKINGS

14. pappavike says: Oct 12, 2012 10:21 PM

Everson, Just be the son you have always been!! Mom is and has always been very proud of you! You honor her by being the son she raised! The Lord loves you!

15. thetokyosandblaster says: Oct 12, 2012 11:34 PM

Rivalry aside, losing your mom is so tough to go through, and I hope this guy goes out and has a great game, honoring his mom. Best wishes.

While I normally hate them, this week I will say: Go Vikings!

16. woodsvikes says: Oct 13, 2012 1:27 AM

thetokyosandblaster says:
    Oct 12, 2012 11:34 PM

While I normally hate them, this week I will say: Go Vikings!
    —————————————–
    Thank You for your class!

17. jerrykill4pres says: Oct 13, 2012 11:29 AM

thetokyosandblaster says:Oct 12, 2012 11:34 PM

While I normally hate them, this week I will say: Go Vikings!
    ———————————————————-

I have to say, I used to not have much respect for you, and the way you used to trash everything Vikings. But, i will say, your comment on this just earned you alot of my respect. Rivalry aside, these players are still humans, just like the rest of us. Some fans of teams just don’t quite get it. But Tokyo, you do. Thanks for showing alot of class here, and your compassion for someone. You earned alot of respect as a fan of a rival.

It’s nice when there’s a rivalry, but in the end, people still know when to say when, and how to say how. It’s classy, and being a man.

18. pack13queens0 says: Oct 13, 2012 2:51 PM

who cares?

19. lessfrazier says: Oct 13, 2012 3:05 PM

7ransponder says:Oct 12, 2012 5:08 PM

This is going to be a fun game!

**********

I can guarantee that Everson will be the best Griffen on the field.

RGIII spells his last name the more common G R I F F I N

20. gdeli says: Oct 13, 2012 8:45 PM

sorry man. i lost my mom at 21 so i understand. Don’t let her memory fade away. I have to work at it since it has been 25 years. sorry for your loss. play well for her and yourself.

21. stellarperformance says: Oct 14, 2012 5:28 AM

It’s hard to get negative on this one. Losing your mother is the hollowest feeling there is. I wish him the best.