For many 49ers, the bitterness toward Giants remains

Buffalo Bills v San Francisco 49ers Getty Images

Kyle Williams isn’t the only 49ers player who looks at this week’s game with the Giants as a chance at redemption.

From top to bottom of the 49ers roster, there’s a pain that came with last year’s loss in the NFC Championship Game that they can’t shake.

You can’t help but be bitter,” safety Donte Whitner told Alex Marvez of FoxSports.com.

That feeling ruined what was a remarkable turnaround season for the 49ers, killing the joy of a seven-win improvement. For long-timers such as Frank Gore, who were making their first playoff appearance, the sting is still there.

It was so bad Gore skipped the perk most players dream of — a trip to the Pro Bowl.

“I didn’t want to be around football for a little bit,” Gore said. “When you get that close and you feel like you’re the better team and it didn’t happen for you, it’s real tough. It took a while to get over.”

A win Sunday would help. But only a true rematch in January would salve some of the wounds.

Permalink 49 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, New York Giants, Rumor Mill, San Francisco 49ers
49 Responses to “For many 49ers, the bitterness toward Giants remains”
  1. paintballx3dotcom says: Oct 12, 2012 2:57 PM

You may “feel like the better team” but you weren’t loser….

2. cylondetector says: Oct 12, 2012 2:57 PM

Good for them – should be a great game!

3. ninerswilldominatelikebefore says: Oct 12, 2012 2:57 PM

dont worry gore before your time is up you will walk away with 2 SUPER BOWL RINGS!!

4. gmen1080 says: Oct 12, 2012 2:59 PM

You weren’t on a better team because you lost at home Gorey.

5. jbl429 says: Oct 12, 2012 3:06 PM

ninerswilldominatelikebefore says:
    Oct 12, 2012 2:57 PM

wait, what, he’s being traded to the Giants?

6. bigblue5611 says: Oct 12, 2012 3:08 PM

It’s still hilarious that the Niners feel they were the “better team” when they were 0-13 on 3rd down and went 3 and out there last 5 possessions! Yeah sure, they were better…

7. giantssb42champs says: Oct 12, 2012 3:13 PM

Giants will make Alex Smith look like the 2005-2010 Alex Smith.

8. philk0731 says: Oct 12, 2012 3:14 PM

The Giants WON THE SUPERBOWL, that makes them the better team…actually THE BEST team in the league!

9. worldchampsbaby says: Oct 12, 2012 3:15 PM

Niners were a good team last year.Could call them a very good or great team.No lie!! Unless I’m mistaken,that’s why you play the game not just rate the team.BY RESULTS THE GIANTS WERE THE BETTER TEAM THAT DAY.

This year? Let’s wait and see who wins.I am a long time Giant fan(since 1958),but if I had to pick a winner pregame I’d have to favor the 49′rs.

10. bigpoppyuno says: Oct 12, 2012 3:16 PM

Wow, I wonder how the Saints players must feel, because they truly were the better team.

11. supremekingz says: Oct 12, 2012 3:20 PM

Saying that he though the Niners was a better team is NOT the same as the Packers saying “we beat ourselves”. In the NFL, it’s not like basketball. You don’t have to be the best team. Just the best team on that DAY. Frank Gore just like everybody else has a right to his opinion. And he never insinuated the Giants didn’t beat them

12. sixjak says: Oct 12, 2012 3:21 PM

paintballx3dotcom says:
    Oct 12, 2012 2:57 PM
    You may “feel like the better team” but you weren’t loser….
    _______________

I’m a 9er fan and I knew as soon as I read Gore’s quote, I’d see the above. It made me LOL. Well played NY fan, well played.

Here’s to Gore running roughshod over the G-Men to the tune of 150 yds. ;)

13. mattman56 says: Oct 12, 2012 3:22 PM

You might have been the better team if you played a full 4 quarters. Too bad for you! Maybe Eli will let you look at his two rings this weekend

14. paintballx3dotcom says: Oct 12, 2012 3:24 PM

We beat ourselves… coulda, shoulda woulda… whatever. Look at the scoreboard.

15. mattman56 says: Oct 12, 2012 3:33 PM

Here’s to Gore running roughshod over the G-Men to the tune of 150 yds.

__________________________________

If you want to be the regular season champs to make yourself feel better. The playoffs are the only games that really matter. First seed hasn’t done too well in the playoffs for a few years. Giants will gladly take the sixth seed again.

16. skydivn01 says: Oct 12, 2012 3:37 PM

Ahhh.. you have to love the pre-game banter. Truth be told… 2 great teams met in the NFC Championship game (sort of the way it should be) and it was a great game. In the end the Giants won but there were many points in that game it could have gone the other way. That’s what make it a great game.

worldchampsbaby.. I’m with you.. a long time Giants fan.. but sitting here right now.. have to favor the 49ers. A couple of key injuries on offense and in the secondary… plus they need to be more consistant against the run.

17. robert831 says: Oct 12, 2012 3:40 PM

18. paintballx3dotcom says: Oct 12, 2012 3:43 PM

“49ers are going to crush the Giants. The Giants are good, but the 49ers are on fire right now. Plus they are pissed about last years loss. I would put money on the 49ers by at least two touchdowns.”

LOL on fire??? you beat the Jets and Bills :)

19. eastcoastninerfan says: Oct 12, 2012 3:46 PM

I don’t mind him saying “that he felt his team was the better team” as he’s simply expressing an emotion that he had…he didn’t say that his team WAS better. Giants won, they get the accolades that goes with it. And more props to them beating the Patriots for the title as well (I’m sure Brady felt his team was better too)

I “feel” I should get paid more at work…doesn’t mean I should (I am on PFT while at work…so maybe I shouldn’t “feel” that way, lol).

I hope the G-men bring their game as I believe the Niners will as well…we’ll all be highly entertained this coming Sunday!

20. lippy4246 says: Oct 12, 2012 3:48 PM

Frank and Donte…You’ve been traded to the Packers

21. skydivn01 says: Oct 12, 2012 3:54 PM

robert831… you have the wrong NY team. Crush is what they did to the Jets… that won’t happen here. I understand 49er fans may be full of piss and vinegar right now… but who have you really beaten so far.. the Jets and Bills.. impressive… the Lions.. so? Oh and the Packers aren’t the same team this year. How about the Vikings… bet you didn’t see that comin’, huh? Thing is after the Giants.. they’ve got the Seahawks and Cardinals. Hmmm… tough. Inflat the record and setup for another big playoff letdown.

22. roadtrip3500 says: Oct 12, 2012 4:00 PM

mattman56 says: Oct 12, 2012 3:33 PM

——————————
    Giants won their division last year… they were the 4 seed, not 6.

23. granadafan says: Oct 12, 2012 4:07 PM

Don’t worry Frank. No other player showed up the Pro Bowl either.

24. badboy49er says: Oct 12, 2012 4:39 PM

skydivn01

“I understand 49er fans may be full of piss and vinegar right now… but who have you really beaten so far.. the Jets and Bills.. impressive… the Lions.. so? Oh and the Packers aren’t the same team this year. ”

You kidding with this? With the Giants beating Tampa and Carolina ..wow, and the Browns!! The WORST team in football …lol just stop it

25. kingaldon99 says: Oct 12, 2012 4:53 PM

I don’t think it’s debatable that the niners were the better team but the giants made the plays they needed to win. Lady Luck was clearly on their side as well. Bradshaws non-fumble and Mario’s go ahead Td against tremaine Brock who never would have seen the field if not for T.brown getting hurt….not to mention the fact that if Ted plays that game end a lot differently. That’s not how it played out and it is what it is. Beating the giants Sunday will only prove what we all already know…the giants are a mediocre team with a lot of luck and a great qb

26. jibberator says: Oct 12, 2012 4:59 PM

Giants fans are looking really silly right now…they will look even sillier in 2 days.

27. notthathand says: Oct 12, 2012 5:08 PM

I’m bitter at the 49ers for blowing the NFCCG and depriving us of a much more interesting Super Bowl than the ’08 retread.

28. bigblue5611 says: Oct 12, 2012 5:10 PM

Niners fans still crying and making excuse after excuse. Giants are so far in the heads of the 49ers and Harbough it’s not even funny

29. skydivn01 says: Oct 12, 2012 5:17 PM

badboy49er… perhaps you should read my whole message..look at the bigger picture that is.. I was responding to a comment that the 49ers “are on fire right now”…

let me slow down for you… How…. can…. you… say… that… they… haven’t…. played… anyone… good.

I didn’t comment that Giants were great or even on fire… so what’s your point?

30. Mr. Wright 212 says: Oct 12, 2012 5:49 PM

49er fans kill me. First they come out of the woodwork suddenly last year after being in hiding for a decade.

Then they play the IF game about the NFC Championship.

Meanwhile, want to ignore that the “IF” game could be played about the end of the regular season game… you know, if Giants fans were chumps and played that card…

31. jibberator says: Oct 12, 2012 5:52 PM

What is your point? They are on fire, even if they have beaten garb teams. They have confidence. Dude, having a score differential of 79-3 is impressive, no matter who you face.

32. jgarcia050 says: Oct 12, 2012 6:07 PM

the 9ers were the better team..they were 13-3…giants were 9-7.

33. robert831 says: Oct 12, 2012 6:33 PM

This is awesome, I’m getting the most replies I have ever gotten… and I’m a Vikings fan. The 49ers are flat out a better team than the Giants this year and they are on fire right now, hence my prediction. The 49ers overlooked my Vikings, which is exactly what both teams needed. 49ers needed to lose to keep them grounded and have been on a tear since. My Vikings needed to beat the best team in the NFC to build confidence more than anything.

34. istallion says: Oct 12, 2012 7:00 PM

As a Giant fan and football enthusiast, I could appreciate the pain it was for the 49ers to have lost at home after their exciting win the previous week.
    Oh well, it happens. I’ve been on that side too, and it does hurt. I still Remember Flipper Anderson.

35. beastmode5150 says: Oct 12, 2012 7:45 PM

San Fran forty whiners at it again. 0-13 on third down means, shut up.

36. bergthe1st says: Oct 12, 2012 8:27 PM

“That must be rough.” – New Orleans Saints

37. bkostela says: Oct 12, 2012 8:33 PM

jgarcia050 says:
    Oct 12, 2012 6:07 PM
    the 9ers were the better team..they were 13-3…giants were 9-7.

——–

here’s a stat for you…

(first keep in mind that the 49ers finished the season 14-4 and the giants finished the season 13-7. the NFL doesn’t hand out trophies for best regular season record.)

in 2011 the 49ers’ opponents were a combined 115-141 (31st hardest in the NFL)

the giants’ opponents were a combined 133-123 (8th hardest)

so despite a considerably harder schedule, the giants managed just one less win than the 49ers (with two more games played).

38. n001363 says: Oct 12, 2012 8:35 PM

Anyone who uses the 49er style of play against the 49ers, aka Vikings, Giants, beats the 49ers. Their psyche is as fragile as their coaches ego.

39. dallascowboysdishingthereal says: Oct 12, 2012 8:52 PM

The 49ers can’t get back that trip to the super bowl they should have had last season but they can send a statement Sunday to the Giants.

40. jr4real says: Oct 12, 2012 8:57 PM

Scoreboard. The only stat that counts.

41. italia1970 says: Oct 13, 2012 9:13 AM

The arrogant attitude of the Giants fans makes me want to vomit!!!!!!!!!

I will gladly say “The Niners beat themselves.”

The two gift wrapped fumbles created by the back up punt returner generated 10 gift wrapped points and NOBODY in their right mind would dispute that.

Those 10 points were the difference in the game and if that doesn’t qualify as a gift of a win, you tell me what does.

42. NJJohn says: Oct 13, 2012 9:59 AM

Appanratly you don’t know the difference between a strip and a fumble. But that’s OK. It’s unlikely that many of you even watched the game.

43. bigblue5611 says: Oct 13, 2012 10:07 AM

The fumble in OT was created by a beautiful strip on the ball by a Giant defender-happens every game. Not Giants problem your team has no depth and had a scrub rookie returning punts. Niners love to blame the scrub but meanwhile there defense couldn’t make a stop on 3rd and 15 after the first turnover

Plus both Niner TD’s were results of blown coverages by the Giants and nothing the 49ers earned. That offense just sputtered all game

44. italia1970 says: Oct 13, 2012 10:16 AM

LOL, and do you think that strip or either botched punt return would have happened of pro bowl punt returner Ted Ginn was back there and not hurt?

We both know the answer to that.

Give me a freakin break.

45. bigblue5611 says: Oct 13, 2012 10:24 AM

Next man up- niners have no depth like a championship team like the Giants

What if the Giants could of played the 13 guys the lost to IR during the year. Nobody was more banged up than us but we say: Next man up!

Niners crying about 1 injury is comical

46. NJJohn says: Oct 13, 2012 10:37 AM

Yes, I do think it would have happened. I also think the 9ers would have won if Montana and Rice were playing. But that didn’t happen either. Geez. Watch a game once in awhile. You might learn something.

47. salventuri says: Oct 14, 2012 11:30 AM

If the Niners are crying the blues now, just wait till they’re sitting at home AGAIN this year watching the Giants in the Super Bowl.

48. NJJohn says: Oct 14, 2012 7:46 PM

Sorry. My Bad. the 49ers are way better than the Giants. That defense is awesome.

49. Mr. Wright 212 says: Oct 14, 2012 8:17 PM

I guess the revenge angle wasn’t enough motivation today.