McCarthy doesn’t want “punk, loser mentality” in Green Bay

AP

After going 15-1 last season, the Packers are off to a 2-3 start this season, making them one of the NFL’s most disappointing teams. But Green Bay coach Mike McCarthy better not hear anyone talking about panicking.

Asked at his press conference whether he’s concerned about panic setting in with the Packers, McCarthy dismissed that idea, and said he won’t tolerate that attitude setting into the Green Bay locker room.

“You don’t overreact,” McCarthy said. “I’m not a panicker. I think it’s a punk mentality, frankly. I think it’s a loser mentality. It’s time to increase the urgency. We have a great opportunity on Sunday night football. We’re excited to play this team. This is a good team. They’re undefeated. We know how that feels. We know what that position feels like. But we’re going down to Houston to win a football game. That’s what we’re focused on. We got off to a great start today.”

Plenty of teams have started 2-3 and reached the playoffs, so McCarthy is right that it’s not time to panic. On the other hand, it is alarming that the Packers have now lost five of their last nine games going back to last year, after having won 20 in a row before that. And with a trip to Houston to play the undefeated Texans on Sunday night, the Packers are probably staring at a 2-4 record through six games. They don’t need to panic, but they do need to get better in a hurry.

71 responses to “McCarthy doesn’t want “punk, loser mentality” in Green Bay

1. I’ve noticed something about Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers during a preseason drive against the Bengals.

Something is wrong with his throwing shoulder, and he hasn’t addressed it yet.

2. Too late, Mike. The Green Bay Excuses just don’t have equal personnel to their Super Bowl team. Still a playoff team, but far from the favorite. Why can’t anyone just admit that this team isn’t as good as it was?

3. monkeyhateclean says:
    Oct 12, 2012 8:31 PM
    Way to alienate 80% of your fanbase, coach.

At least 20% of us are not losers. Still best % in the land.

4. That’s what the Packers problem is, they REFUSE to overreact. They’ve been in denial ever since the Chiefs demonstrated the blueprint to shutting this offense down and team after team keeps beating them and their head coach and fans continue to deny that there are any problems with his team. Until they DO start to panic, nothing will change and the team will watch the playoffs from home.

5. In their loss to the Colts in week 2, the Vikings looked like complete garbage and killed any sort of gradual improvement they may have made. The next day, they DID panic, they DID overreact, and the team made changes schemewise and mentally across the board.

Since then they’ve been 3-0 including a domination over the Niners. Sometimes “panic” and “overreacting” is what needs to happen for a team to wake up and evolve.

6. firerogergoodell says:
    Oct 12, 2012 8:43 PM

Perhaps you just don’t know what you’re talking about? Are you related to Contra? Thepvyharvin?

7. McCarthy doesn’t want “punk, loser mentality” in Green Bay
    —–
    Oh boy….oh booooy….yea that ship has sailed Mike. Its too late.

8. thetokyosandblaster says:Oct 12, 2012 9:08 PM

firerogergoodell says:
    Oct 12, 2012 8:43 PM

—-
    Or perhaps everyone else is right and you as well as your delusional fanbase are wrong. Look at the thumbs up on anti packer comments on this thread. Its easy to see that the rest of the NFL fanbase understands that this team is in trouble and going nowhere FAST. You and your packer fans on the otherhand…nothing but the kool-aid.. WAKE UP

9. “Punk mentality”= blaming the refs for your losing, signing a punk like Ced Benson, keeping a punk on your team like Finley, retaining rights to a punk like johnny jolly, signing a punk like Hargrove……nope, no punk mentality in fly over country.

10. WOW!! From world beaters to wimps,,,oh,how the mighty of fallen,,,pretty soon they will be resurrecting the bones of Lombardi in a last ditch effort at relevancy ,,,

11. droop says:
    Oct 12, 2012 8:40 PM

Something is wrong with his throwing shoulder, and he hasn’t addressed it yet.
    ===================================

Yes… he threw it out while trying to pat himself on the back day and night.

12. Many of the men in the Packers locker – players and coaches won 20 games in a row which is unheard of nowadays. So I don’t think its a locker room full of punks and losers. Until someone in the NFC North beats the Packers in a football game why should they panic? Whens the last time the Bears, Vikings or Lions beat GB?- 2010 in a game Rodgers was knocked out of.

13. Differences are glaring between this years Pack & the Super Bowl team… Their O line play is suspect, & defense is really weak, injuries are a factor . I won’t count them out @ all @ this point! If they lose their next 2, count them toast !

14. Mr “Prophet”,
    I think it’s just your opinion that what the Vikings did was “Panic”.

They certainly did not. They decided to play more aggressively. They played the Colts way to loosely and gave up a lot of ground to Luck.

And BTW.. I don’t think that loss is looking so bad now after the Colts beat the Packers, is it?

Why oh WHY do people just KEEP GOING on judging teams on WHAT THEY WERE LAST YEAR?

The COLTS are not the worst team in the league and far from it.

The VIKINGS weren’t that terrible either. The lost 9 games by less than 7 points. Sorry folks, but that’s competitive. Nobody should be surprised they are capable of winning a few when they were SO CLOSE to it last year.

15. Not a packer fan or anythin…but I ink the absence of g.Jennings is affecting arods play a lot..but no run game also has a lot to do with it as well.

16. Why do the stupid vikngs fans have to troll on every green bay site.. Yes your 4-1 yes your 0-4 in superbowls .. Who cares you play in a dome like your sisters in detroit and new orleans..

Go troll on a boat with some hookers..

17. It’s week 6. Pretty funny how quickly the haters come out. Everyone that is dissing the Packers obviously supports a team that hasn’t been champions in the last 2 years, or ever (Vikings maybe?)

Why do people usually hold grudges? Jealousy. That’s why you see all these Viking fans trolling Packer boards.

18. thetokyosandblaster says: Oct 12, 2012 9:08 PM

“I don’t think I’ve seen one person that isn’t saying they aren’t as good as they were.”

Exactly.

19. Good attitude Mike. I have been so hard on the packers since Favre was kicked out of town and betrayed by packer fans (yes Packer fans betrayed him, period). That being said…when the packers lost to the bucs in 09′ that was the absolute lowest point of the season before turning it around and making the playoffs with that “wild” wildcard game against the cards. 2010 16 players on IR…16! they lost to the redskins..lowest point of the season..Turned it around dominated on the road in the playoffs and Rodgers got his first ring..My point, Packer fans have seen this before, and everytime they have been down, they have bounced back in a big way. I still have faith this season will end in the playoffs and no time before that. If I am wrong I am wrong, but even though I do not like MM all that much, I think he can get them refocused as he has done before.

20. firerogergoodell says: Oct 12, 2012 8:43 PM

Week one of last year, I knew this team wasnt the same as the SB team. I think most “Logical” Packer fans see it clearly, and you would know that if you talked to them. The problem is everyone (including viking fans) love to pile on the second the packers are struggling(not that Pack fans dont do the same). I am sick of the “how many superbowls have you won?” argument..its stupid and most people who say that were not even alive for all of those SB/Championships, so its a moot point. I think if everyone could just try to critique other fanbases and teams in a mature way, the trolling on both sides will shrink a little bit. On the other hand..it makes the games more fun if your team wins and you can talk some smack..I guess.

21. I get HOU is favored especially with GB’s top WR TE and RB out, but between Rodgers at QB and any given Sunday (TEN beat PIT yesterday after all) i think its premature to pencil in a HOU win.

22. No way were the Packers going 15-1 again, even if Finley could catch the ball and Rodgers played like he did last year. The Packers have a brutal schedule and 10-6 seemed realistic at the beginning of the year. I think 9-7 is more likely now.

And I apparently missed something, but when did PFT posters decide that Aaron Rodgers was a cry baby? We are talking the guy who sat behind Favre for four years and never said a word. I’ve never heard Rodgers say, “We didn’t get beat by (insert team here), we beat ourselves.” or “My tight end sucks because I have no chemistry with him.” I get that people don’t like the Packers, but the Rodgers hate seems unjustified.

23. I think someone who develops all game plans and calls all the plays is missing someone who had the title of offensive coordinator who, in realtiy, was the o-line coach.

Or, mccarthy and the packers are struggling right now.

24. philtration says:
    Oct 12, 2012 10:47 PM
    droop says:
    Oct 12, 2012 8:40 PM

Something is wrong with his throwing shoulder, and he hasn’t addressed it yet.
    ===================================

Yes… he threw it out while trying to pat himself on the back day and night.
    ===================================

Sure he was 12/22 154 yards but his incomplete passes looked very weak and the 1 interception was badly underthrown. I really think he needs to get it checked out and although confessing the bad news will be heartbreaking for the whole organization, he needs to be a team-minded leader and speak up. He’s only hurting himself if he keeps trying to play on an injured shoulder. (Just myspeculation)

25. tucostacos says:Oct 12, 2012 9:10 PM

Wow, they have beaten themselves 5 of the last 9 games?

————————————

Nooooo…they’ve beaten themselves 3 of the last 9 games, the refs beat them the other 2.

26. A lot of Packer hate out there. I’m loving it. It will be so much sweeter when the Packers are back on top….starting Sunday. People hate because they fear.

27. Two quick points, first it’s very early in the season to either write somebody off or crown them champions, second, talent tends to show up & exert itself over a 16 game season. Just ask the Bill’s fans about what happened last year.

Both points should be considered by all the Viking trolls having some fun these days.

28. Who is this guy kidding that he doesn’t overreact and panic? Have you ever seen him throw a challenge flag?

29. The drop of from Nick Collins to Morgan Burnett was far greater than anybody had expected. Burnett clearly either doesn’t understand his own defense and how to communicate the secondary adjustments to the rest of the db’s or has now idea how to read opposing offenses. Meanwhile, I believe Charles Woodson has lost more than just “a step”. Woodson is borderline a liability with all his holds and interference calls. And I personally don’t think Jarrett Bush belongs on the field unless we are punting the ball away. Even with this offense being flat Green Bay has a lot to blame in their losses on the secondary.

30. I love how its week 6 and everyone is counting the Packers out lol. Its hilarious – they play the Rams, Jaguars and Cardinals before their bye week.

Lets say they lose this week 2-4. They win the next 3 they could be 5-4 by the bye week. Than they most likely will have Greg Jennings back full-time. With 7 games left, 5 against NFC North opponents who have struggled to beat the Packers over the past couple years the Pack is far from out of it. Hate to break it to you Vikings fans.

31. Their last season with the Packers – Woodson, Hawk, Driver, Finley, Benson, Saturday, Walden, Bush, Kuhn.

Ted Thompson went against what he believes in this offseason. No matter what happens the rest of the way the Packers will once again be youngest team in the NFL next season. Expect GB to keep all their draft picks and compensation picks this April and use them.

I think this season has proven the importance of Greg Jennings. He will be back and Finley will be done with the Pack.

32. thetokyosandblaster says: Oct 12, 2012 8:41 PM

Then trade Finley.

Well put. This guy isn’t worth a 7th round pick in my opinion though. He is an overrated, over paid, ego maniacal fool.

33. Honestly Kellen Winslow might be a better TE & better in a locker room than Finley right now. Jermichael struggles to catch the ball and if the does its followed by immediately belly flopping to the ground. If your Rodgers why would you want to throw it to him?

34. That Defense hasn’t been the same since Nick Collins went down. They used to be Int. machines…now they are just a porous D with limited big play potential. If the D doesn’t generate turnovers the offense has to play it more conservative with limited numbers of drives. They just aren’t built for the ground and pound type of game.

35. We’ll adapt the attitude of the fans on the wrong side of the river and say “Yeah, we’re losing, but the games are real close; we’re not that far away.” Oh wait – that’s the mentality he was talking about.

36. I can honestly say I’ve never gone to a PFT Vikings article. Some Minnesota fans are more concerned about if the Packers win or lose than their own team. Its sad & pathetic. Obsessed

37. pack13queens0 says:
    Oct 13, 2012 2:50 PM
    No, it’s Minnesota where the punk, loser mentality is.
    —-
    No I’m pretty sure the article mentioned Green Bay. Oh, and your team sucks.

38. It’s a long season Men. 2-3 isn’t great and 2-4 would be worse but I don’t think anyone would argue that the talent isn’t there to go on a run late in the season and be right back in the same spot we were in in 2010. This team and this fan base is a resilient bunch.

GO PACK GO

39. pack13queens0 says:
    Oct 13, 2012 2:50 PM
    No, it’s Minnesota where the punk, loser mentality is.
    —-
    No I’m pretty sure the article mentioned Green Bay. Oh, and your team sucks.
    —————-

Your team isn’t the first team to lose a game on a bad call, they need to get over it and stop whining about it if they’re ever going to get back on track.

I believe your team is the one that sux.

40. Nobody’s panicking. People are asking for change. It’s a “punk, loser mentality” to NOT want to be the worst defense in the league again this year? Is it the sign of a champion to not want to change this?