Rashard Mendenhall tells fans they need to be supportive

Pittsburgh Steelers v Tennessee Titans Getty Images

Pittsburgh running back Rashard Mendenhall wasn’t happy with the way some Steelers fans reacted to Thursday night’s loss to the Titans.

Mendenhall took to Twitter after the game and said that fans who are critical of their team shouldn’t be able to call themselves fans, because fans are supposed to be supportive. Mendenhall didn’t specify what he was reacting to, but he apparently wasn’t pleased that some fans had ripped him on Twitter after gaining just six yards on six carries before leaving the game with an Achilles injury.

The good news is that Mendenhall’s injury isn’t expected to be serious. The bad news is that Mendenhall isn’t going to ingratiate himself to fans by telling them they have to be supportive. The Steelers have great fans, thousands of whom made the trip to Tennessee on Thursday night to see their team. And when fans travel to see their team and the team doesn’t play well, complaining about it afterward is just what fans do.

Permalink 54 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Pittsburgh Steelers, Rumor Mill
54 Responses to “Rashard Mendenhall tells fans they need to be supportive”
  1. jaypell says: Oct 12, 2012 9:06 PM

Rashard Mendenhall has a point

2. bunnyracin says: Oct 12, 2012 9:10 PM

fan: A person who has a strong interest in or admiration for a particular sport, art or entertainment form, or famous person.

3. colinito says: Oct 12, 2012 9:14 PM

I’ve always thought this, and think it applies to fans of every NFL team– certainly applied to the Bears fans I grew up around. Like you’d never make it actually playing football if you got all negative as soon as things were going wrong. It takes heart to stay positive and keep things moving.

And then of course when the team is winning, the fans act like they’ve accomplished something.

4. mborz says: Oct 12, 2012 9:16 PM

Not a fan of this guy’s mouth.

5. blunttastic says: Oct 12, 2012 9:21 PM

put up or shut up =) pumped the steelers are less than average

6. rcali says: Oct 12, 2012 9:22 PM

More time trying to get healthy, less time tweeting like a 14 year old girl.

7. herosquad says: Oct 12, 2012 9:26 PM

This is the same guy that talked garbage about America.

Maybe Mendenhall shouldn’t call himself an American?

8. johnnyjagfan says: Oct 12, 2012 9:33 PM

Its not like a caravan drove from the ‘Burgh…those fans live as close as the Titan fans.

9. saintsfan1981 says: Oct 12, 2012 9:33 PM

I totally agree with him. I’m a saints fan and have been hearing the same crap (for obvious reasons) about the saints. Be a fan,support win or lose. Don’t trash talk your team.

10. kane337 says: Oct 12, 2012 9:35 PM

Steeler fans are not accustomed going through bad seasons. They are spoiled rotten.

11. steelerdeathstar says: Oct 12, 2012 9:35 PM

Mendy should probably stay on the field and produce a little more this season before the negative tweets about Steeler fans. He got himself in hot water before with Steeler Nation with his tweets about 9/11 and Bin Laden. Remember?

12. puckthefatriots says: Oct 12, 2012 9:46 PM

Rashard, one guy I’m not a fan of is Osama Bin Laden.

13. jl215 says: Oct 12, 2012 9:48 PM

Real Steeler fans are often critical, and we feel we have the right to be, we’re used to seeing our team win. That hasn’t been the case so far this year. Bad penalties, missed opportunities for take aways, bad clock management, some bad play calls in situational football. Alot of us are still behind yinz but there’s 11 weeks left and we haven’t seen you find the rhythm, and division games are comin’.

14. jl215 says: Oct 12, 2012 9:51 PM

Oh yea Rashard one word to pass on to the coaches…FULLBACK…might help ya out a bit

15. stlsteelerfan says: Oct 12, 2012 9:51 PM

Huge lifelong Steeler fan here…..

I think the best thing I can do as a fan of the team is to take money I would normally use on a Steelers hat and use it on a muzzle for this guy. Between his 9/11 “truther” comments and other stupid stuff he routinely says, I cringe every time he puts words in print.

Rashard, if you don’t want a very proud fan base of a very proud team to grumble, then don’t lose to 3 of your 5 games to teams with losing records.

16. eventhorizon04 says: Oct 12, 2012 9:51 PM

Fans shouldn’t rip a guy for being injured – after all, if a running back has a bad Achilles tendon injury, he’s not going to be able to run effectively, so Steelers fans SHOULDN’T want him on the on field.

That being said, fans are allowed to criticize an underachieving team.

17. daddyb1gdrawz says: Oct 12, 2012 9:55 PM

Mr. Rashad Mendenhall, fan is short for fanatic. If you look up synonyms to the word fanatic the list includes: enthusiast, zealot, bigot, hothead, militant. Synonyms are words having the same or nearly same meaning. If hothead and militant are words describing fans then you are wrong. Fans are acting in a way that 100% describes them. No where does it say a fan has to be supportive. The term has and will continue to be used loosely.

18. Stiller43 says: Oct 12, 2012 9:56 PM

A fan, short for fanatic, is someone who cares very much about that particular thing…i believe.

Steeler fans know the steelers arent that good right now. Particularly on the road. Look at the road/home stat splits and its a joke. Idk what makes a team good on the road, but the steelers dont have it.

19. johnnycash19 says: Oct 12, 2012 9:56 PM

So if I was a Steelers season ticket holder I shouldn’t get upset with the poor product on the field, nor should I call myself a fan? If my team was expected to win the division (or at least contend for the division/ wild card spot) and they put out a poor product I would have some negative things to say to.

Does that mean I’m not a fan?

Mendenhall should just stop talking. This is the same guy that was upset at everyone because Bin Laden was killed.

20. mikebrownfaux says: Oct 12, 2012 9:58 PM

PFT.. “The Voice of the Fans!”

21. stevenfbrackett says: Oct 12, 2012 9:59 PM

So he thinks a team deserves blind support no matter what? Sorry, doesn’t work that way. If the team is comprised of a bunch of tools making boneheaded mistakes and constantly getting in trouble off the field – well, then you aren’t giving us much to support.

Now, if you want to say that people need to keep things in perspective and not throw things of the field or tweet death threats when there is a bad play – absolutely. Some people do think that if they pay for the exorbitant scalping priced tickets they cans say and do anything they want regardless of right or wrong or basic decency. And they are boneheaded tools. They are also fanatics, not fans.

Fans support their team but they live in the real world. Join us.

22. abninf says: Oct 12, 2012 10:01 PM

Mendenhall. Bin Laden.

23. fitzmagic1212 says: Oct 12, 2012 10:08 PM

pittsburgh people dont care about your team unless youre winning bud. its pretty simple and the whole country knows it

24. baloneyjohn says: Oct 12, 2012 10:21 PM

Thats the breaks. Fans see all the money you guys make and demand a winner. If you have rabbit ears or now eyes, tough and get winning.
    Might not be right, but its a fact. Not all fans act like this

25. osuksu68 says: Oct 12, 2012 10:23 PM

I hope he is ok and come back before the end of the season. I would like to be critical of not playing for overtime. Bad coaching in parts of this game especially at the end.

26. jag8r904 says: Oct 12, 2012 10:32 PM

Rashard doesn’t like it when people talk bad about anything. Not even Osama bin Laden.

27. Tadd says: Oct 12, 2012 10:39 PM

What do you expect, there are a whole lot of Bandwaggon fans that currently wear Steelers gear, because their success the last few years.

Also I think if one is a true fan they can complain about the team and players, complaining does not mean you don’t like and support the team, it just means you are unhappy with this or that.

Also if not for complaining what do Browns fans have?

28. contrarianjon says: Oct 12, 2012 10:40 PM

Does questioning 911 make you unamerican?

29. joerevs300 says: Oct 12, 2012 11:00 PM

So I suppose if we “fans” simply decide to stay home and watch it on TV, and you’re playing to an empty stadium Rashard, you’d get what you wanted. No boos or critical comments.

It’s true, there are the obsessed fantasy football degenerates that will say really stupid things.

But let’s be real here: The Steelers have played 1 complete game out of 5, and you can’t really call dominating the Jets a “statement game”. If M.Vick holds onto the football they are 1-4, and an ugly 1-4 at that.

As is, they’ve got 10 days to figure this thing out, or they can kiss the playoffs goodbye at 2-4.

30. finswins says: Oct 12, 2012 11:03 PM

Jeeez MDS, you sound as if the Steeler fans in opposing team’s stadiums are from Pittsburgh!! You DO realize that Steeler fans are everywhere…right? I’d say that a lot of Steeler fans at away games are from that particular area!!

31. oldbrowndawg says: Oct 12, 2012 11:09 PM

Shut up and play, crybaby.

32. albertmn says: Oct 12, 2012 11:25 PM

A fan is a follower of the team. If that team stinks, then the fans have the right to boo or say the team stinks. These players that think all fans are supposed to cheer regardless of how crappy they play need a reality check.

33. billygoat says: Oct 12, 2012 11:29 PM

I think he needs to close his twitter account. Only a matter of time before he says something stupid.

34. contract says: Oct 12, 2012 11:38 PM

I’m going to make this so simple that even Rashard Mendenhall can understand. As soon as some other team waves a little more money under his nose … he is gone. Steeler fans no matter how negative will be with the team until they day we DIE.

It’s not his team … it’s OUR team. He’s just a mercenary. We don’t owe him a damn thing.

35. polarbear71 says: Oct 12, 2012 11:51 PM

Exactly why the Bears didn’t draft him, he’s ALWAYS hurt. Walking around the sidelines while your team is out there fighting for it’s playoffs life !

36. koenig61 says: Oct 12, 2012 11:55 PM

It’s all about perspective and who says it. In Green Bay today Mike McCarthy said the following :

“You don’t overreact,” McCarthy said. “I’m not a panicker. I think it’s a punk mentality, frankly. I think it’s a loser mentality. It’s time to increase the urgency. We have a great opportunity on Sunday night football. We’re excited to play this team. This is a good team. They’re undefeated. We know how that feels. We know what that position feels like. But we’re going down to Houston to win a football game. That’s what we’re focused on. We got off to a great start today.”

Undoubtedly analyst will hail McCarthy for being a great leader and remaining calm with this statement.

Mendenhall is basically saying the same thing. He’s simply asking for the faithful not to panic, and letting them know that the team wants and needs their support. It’s easy to back a winner, it’s when things get tough that your true self is shown.

Most fans panic when things go wrong and point fingers and blame. I come to this site every day, and I see and hear the same sort of panic and blame from most fans. The same type of fans who when the teams are winning are the first to gloat and act superior.

I don’t see anything wrong with mendenhall asking for support. Could he have chosen better words? With out a doubt. But I’m smart enough to understand what he meant. He meant the same thing McCarthy said. Not panic, and don’t be a punk.

37. joewilliesshnoz says: Oct 12, 2012 11:58 PM

This guy’s a stiff , I’d rather see Redman play instead

38. ddogdaddy says: Oct 12, 2012 11:59 PM

The Steelers and the Packers have probably the biggest and most traveled fan base of any 2 teams in the NFL. Their fans will come to opposing teams “house” and be loud and proud and let everyone know how rabid and loyal they are with their towels and fake cheese . Look how successful these 2 teams have been over the last 15 years. Quite a few wins in the regular season, playoffs and a few Super Bowls. My point is it is pretty easy to be fan win you are winning. Lose a few games and listen to the griping from the same so called fans who just so happens are experts on the game and can tell you exactly what is wrong and why they are losing. Being a Colts fan, I got my lesson in humility last year after a pretty good 10 year run. My advise is shut the f*** up and just be glad you don’t have root for the Browns or Jags.

39. ravenator says: Oct 13, 2012 12:25 AM

This team is a joke. Maybe Mendenhall should worry less about people ripping him on his twitter account and more about getting a bid for the playoffs. What a cry baby!

40. iamthefootballjerk says: Oct 13, 2012 12:39 AM

Maybe he needs to stop taking what amounts to fans’ money so he can start flipping burgers instead.

41. mmmpierogi says: Oct 13, 2012 12:41 AM

johnnyjagfan says:
    Oct 12, 2012 9:33 PM

*****************************************************************

Kind of ironic, given that I know a ton of people that made the 9.5 hour drive from PA to watch this game. Pretty sure most Titans fans didn’t drive that far.

42. blackcatnfl says: Oct 13, 2012 12:57 AM

But you let my team down, man!! And by my team, i mean the Tin Foil Hat Turkeyballs, my fantasy football team.

43. jeffa43 says: Oct 13, 2012 1:12 AM

Dude, just play ball. Idiot

44. stoolerz says: Oct 13, 2012 1:16 AM

Looks like some of the yellow and black turnips are falling off of the bandwagon. Surprised, shouldn’t be-Pittsburgh is know for being fair weather fans.

45. patswillreign says: Oct 13, 2012 2:32 AM

NO!…you need to be supportive…of my fantasy team

46. beanengelby says: Oct 13, 2012 6:40 AM

Haley ….. Thanks guys from ur friendly CHIEFS fan !!

47. kravenm3 says: Oct 13, 2012 8:33 AM

“Rashard Mendenhall tells fans they need to be supportive”

Fans tell Rashard Mendenhall he needs to file a “Hurt Feelings Report” with the Steelers FO.

If the fans (I have been one my entire life) didn’t care we wouldn’t complain. It doesn’t mean we no longer support the team. The truth is that I will watch every single game, win or lose. I’ll be happy if the Steelers win and upset if they lose. However, my support will never wane.

48. samoanjungle says: Oct 13, 2012 9:30 AM

@Kane337 – The Old Steelers fans are accustomed to bad seasons.
    What did they have, like 40 bad seasons before ever making it to the playoffs when there were only like a dozen teams?

49. joebee78 says: Oct 13, 2012 10:15 AM

Sorry Rashard. Pittsburgh fans only care about ehat a player does on the field and if they’re performing. They will support players that are rapists, wife beaters, drunks, steroid users, etc etc (all the while preaching about how the Rooneys run a clean ship) but as soon as they stop performing, no more love from the fans.

50. matto8929 says: Oct 13, 2012 11:23 AM

Mendenhall probably couldn’t do anything else than play football. Without the fans, he wouldn’t have any means of putting food on his family’s table.

51. matto8929 says: Oct 13, 2012 11:25 AM

My mom gets me a Steeler McFarlane figure every year for Christmas. I tell her ahead of time if she’s going to then get me anybody but Mendenhall. I’d rather have Joe Flacco.

52. steelychick says: Oct 13, 2012 4:18 PM

Be supportive – SERIOUSLY?????? Did you look around that stadium on Thursday night? Did you see a sea of Terrible Towels, hear the chants of “Heath, Heath, Heath” every time he caught a ball? Did you hear the Titans fans – oh, that’s right, their own score board has to cue them to yell on first down. Mendenhall – you better put up or shut up – your fans are alive and well, invest thousands of dollars every year following our beloved team, and have never been anything BUT supportive. Just take a look around – you are never really at an “away” game, nor are you in a hostile environment. The flag of Steeler Nation flies high and proud, now you do the same.

53. steelcurtainn says: Oct 13, 2012 4:52 PM

He’s right you should be supportive. But you should expect criticism when you lose to a team like the lowly titans. A team you should easily beat. The defense is no doubt underachieving.

54. billmiller3 says: Oct 21, 2012 2:36 PM

I have never booed anyone in black & gold in my life. BUT – dear Rashard – it IS my RIGHT to do so as a paying customer. I suppose when you go to a restaurant and don’t get the meal you believe you’re paying for, you just eat it an go on your merry way. I doubt it. Between this moronic tweet and the one about your idol bin Laden, you may not have the mental faculties necessary to use Twitter.