Stanton says Jets offered him a chance, pre-Tebow

Andrew Luck,  Drew Stanton AP

The Jets coaches continue to back Mark Sanchez, even as their owner talks about keeping Tim Tebow long-term.

But the guy the Jets initially brought in to backup Sanchez said he was told he’d get a chance to start if Sanchez struggled this year.

“Had Mark struggled, they said I’d have a chance to play,” current Colts backup Drew Stanton told Newsday’s Bob Glauber. “So there was no better opportunity than that, and I was excited about it.”

Stanton’s saga was an amazing one for a few weeks this spring.

He signed a one-year deal with the Jets March 16. Four days later, Peyton Manning signed with the Broncos. The day after that, Tebow was traded to the Jets.

Stanton asked for a trade or release immediately, and two days later, he was a Colt, in exchange for a sixth-round pick. He’s inarguably much farther away from the field now behind Andrew Luck, but his strange days in New York still confound.

“It was tough, because I didn’t know what the future held,” Stanton said. “I didn’t want to be in the same [quarterback] room with Tim, because it’s difficult from the media or fan standpoint. He’s such a good guy, and the perception of him makes it so difficult.

” . . . They wanted to keep me, but I said, ‘Hey, I really don’t want to be a part of that, because that’s not what we agreed to.’ Mike [Tannenbaum] said, ‘We’re going to do right by you.’ Mike acquiesced a little bit and he said, ‘Had we known Tebow would have been available, obviously we wouldn’t have said that to you.’ “

Stanton quickly, and accurately, realized he wouldn’t win a popularity contest, and that any chance he’d have to play was gone the minute Tebow walked in the door.

“They didn’t have a press conference for me when I signed,” Stanton said, getting a shot in at the huge event Tebow’s arrival became. “But they upheld what they said, they found a good situation for me, and it’s fortunate for me.”

And even though his playing would have depended on Sanchez playing poorly, Stanton said he hopes the Jets starter turns things around — next week.

“I feel bad for Mark,” Stanton said. “Everybody’s rooting for the backup. I’d like to see him turn it around, hopefully not this week, but in the weeks to come.”

Stanton’s story should only serve to make Sanchez that much more nervous. As many times as Rex Ryan says he’s his guy, the fact they’d offer a shot to Stanton makes it clear that it’s just a matter of time before Tebow gets his.

Permalink 15 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Indianapolis Colts, New York Jets, Rumor Mill
15 Responses to “Stanton says Jets offered him a chance, pre-Tebow”
  1. nflofficeadmin says: Oct 12, 2012 8:11 AM

Really outed the Jets and what’s going on in their heads. Devastating for San-chez.

2. countyk66ers says: Oct 12, 2012 8:13 AM

The Jets were able to get a 6th round pick for Stanton?

3. godofwine330 says: Oct 12, 2012 8:31 AM

I wouldn’t want to be in the same QB room with Tebow, either. I understand why people love him as a person because he seems like a genuinely good person. However, knowing you are better and knowing that you would be passed over because Tebow is more popular. It would be like Michael Corleone getting passed over for Godfather by Freido. Not really, but Tebow sucks as a QB having one crazy, lucky season that would be impossible to duplicate. He is glad that he didn’t have to, or rather didn’t get the chance to because he would have been shown to be a fraud in 2012, and 2011 would be shown to be a fluke.

4. pftcensorssuck says: Oct 12, 2012 8:42 AM

I’m sorry, but if a quarterback in his fourth year is expected to “turn things around”, he probably isn’t a very good quarterback.

It’s just that simple.

5. lollygagger8 says: Oct 12, 2012 8:53 AM

I would be more afraid of Stanton than Sanchez. I’m even more afraid of Tebow than Sanchez.

6. hehateme2 says: Oct 12, 2012 9:06 AM

Look at sanchez numbers… worst in the league. He’s in freefall mode.

7. sultan420 says: Oct 12, 2012 9:19 AM

Why are we talking to Drew Stanton?? LOL at him demanding a trade. Check yo self fool!

8. realitypolice says: Oct 12, 2012 9:25 AM

He’s not “inarguably” farther from getting on the field now. He’s only one injury away, whereas he would have been two injuries away at least in New York.

And who knows if he would have even beaten out Greg McElroy for #3? He may have found himself cut at the end of training camp when teams have their QB rooms filled.

9. dolphins512 says: Oct 12, 2012 9:28 AM

“He is glad that he didn’t have to, or rather didn’t get the chance to because he would have been shown to be a fraud in 2012, and 2011 would be shown to be a fluke”.

I’m not sure you “get it”.

Tim Tebow is not a better QB than Mark Sanchez in terms of skill….I think that is obvious. However, Tebow, as a leader is far superior in his ability to be optimistic, enthusiastic and to lift those around him to overachieve. Look at Mark Sanchez’s attitude and body language on the field and you will see a defeated man. He has a fragile personality and it has been shattered by the circus that is the New York Jets. Tebow cannot play better in terms of passing than Sanchez, but everything else he does is better. Better runner, better leader, encourages his teammates, wants the ball etc….this builds confidence by his team mates and they also start to perform at a higher level. From a fan perspective….he is the “little engine that could”.

But this isn’t about Tebow. It is about Mark Sanchez not performing. If Mark Sanchez simply performed to his skill level, this would all go away.

10. canjura says: Oct 12, 2012 9:29 AM

Drew Stanton was a second round draft pick for a reason, he was a complete stud at Michigan State. However, his cards just never fell the way they were supposed to for him to have a chance in the NFL. He missed his entire rookie season having been put on IR during the preseason, next year hurts his throwing hand and misses the entire preseason, and then they were so bad that Matthew Stafford fell to them at #1 overall in what would have been his make it or break it year. I’d love to see him start and see what he really has, too bad it will never happen.

11. RexCanCoach says: Oct 12, 2012 9:31 AM

Media trying desperately to understand what Jets brass plan is.

But they won’t be able to.

All you can do is wait and see and speculate.

Because the Jets brass don’t have a defined plan to make Tebow the starter, even a novice knows that.

12. pftcensorssuck says: Oct 12, 2012 10:12 AM

RexCanCoach says:Oct 12, 2012 9:31 AM

——————————————————–
    Actually, I don’t think the jets have ANY plan … beyond hoping that Mark Sanchez finally stops sucking, that is.

13. bleed4philly says: Oct 12, 2012 10:26 AM

McElroy is smelling like a rose right now.

14. xsorethumbx says: Oct 12, 2012 11:46 AM

“I feel bad for Mark,” Stanton said. “Everybody’s rooting for the backup
    _______________

that only happens when the starting qb isnt good enough like with NYJ , KC, Ari

nobody is ever rooting for the backups in GB,NO, Den, NE, NYG, Pitt

15. granadafan says: Oct 12, 2012 4:40 PM

Stanton just isn’t a fan of the circus.