Troy Aikman: Dallas fans go to games to be seen, not to cheer

2012 NFL Honors - Arrivals Getty Images

Jerry Jones’s new stadium is big and fancy, but it doesn’t necessarily give the Cowboys much of a home-field advantage.

That’s the word from Hall of Fame former Cowboys quarterback Troy Aikman, who says he doesn’t think Dallas fans are the type to loudly cheer their teams but are more the type to go to sporting events as social occasions.

“I think for a large part – and the fans don’t want to hear this – a lot of the people that attend sports in this town, they’re there because it’s kind of just a place to be seen,” Aikman said on KTCK-AM, via the Dallas Morning News.

Aikman’s comments come on the heels of a Cowboys home game against the Bears that featured thousands of fans from Chicago making the trip to Dallas to support their team, to such an extent that Bears players said it felt like a home game. Aikman says Chicago fans are different than Dallas fans.

“I’ve always said Dallas isn’t so much a sports town as it is a winner’s town,” Aikman said. “And that’s not that unique. Most towns are like that. There are very few towns like Chicago where you can go out there and go 4-12 and they’re stilling selling out stadiums. That’s pretty unique.”

Aikman added that in his playing days, the Cowboys’ NFC East rivals had better home-field advantages than the Cowboys.

“I don’t think Dallas has ever really had a great home field advantage,” Aikman said. “What I’ve heard is that, ‘Wow, they really lost home field advantage when they left Texas Stadium.’ Texas Stadium really wasn’t that different. Having played playoff games in Texas Stadium, that stadium was rocking, it was great. . . . But when we would play in Philadelphia, New York and walk out of the tunnel, I would have to be yelling at the top of my lungs for guys to hear me. And you get on the plane for the flight home and your head would be pounding, you wouldn’t have a voice, and that’s just the way that it was. There was no way you could go down there near the goal line and use hard count in an opposing stadium. And yet in Texas Stadium, teams did it all the time.”

That won’t be a popular opinion for Aiman to express in Dallas. But that doesn’t make him wrong.

Permalink 94 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Chicago Bears, Dallas Cowboys, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
94 Responses to “Troy Aikman: Dallas fans go to games to be seen, not to cheer”
  1. mattolikesthevikes says: Oct 12, 2012 10:56 PM

Can’t argue to much. Jones made the walk out tunnel for the players feel like a Hollywood red carpet. That’s not an example of hardcore football, that’s glamour football.

2. farty5 says: Oct 12, 2012 10:58 PM

When you have an owner who’s biggest motivation is spectacle, what did you expect?

3. Rex Grossman says: Oct 12, 2012 10:59 PM

It’s always a great idea to see how many of your fans you can insult all at once.

The Bears and their fans rule.

4. cowboys282 says: Oct 12, 2012 11:00 PM

No matter where the Cowboys go there are Cowboys fans everywhere. Heck anytime they play in Arizona half the stadium is Cowboy fans.

And if the Cowboys played in Chicago and was up by 20 in the 4th quarter you would hear a “Let’s go Cowboys” chant for sure. Anyone who has been to a Cowboys road game knows what I am saying is true no matter if they deny it or not.

5. ctattles says: Oct 12, 2012 11:02 PM

Oh wow I’m so cool and upper class I’m going to the football game.

6. robh4marketingideas says: Oct 12, 2012 11:07 PM

I don’t mean to pile on other fans but this is one of your own calling you out. Cowboys fan you need to check yourselves, get off your high horse and accept the fact that your team is in a battle for the basement of the NFC East.

7. canoyoulie says: Oct 12, 2012 11:07 PM

he’s absolutely right. lived there, been there done that …. he’s absolutely right, it’s a pretty vanilla place, both old texas stadium and jerry’s new crown.

8. romoscollarbone says: Oct 12, 2012 11:08 PM

I’m glad somebody said. It’s even better that it comes from someone with credibility. I went down to the new stadium a couple years ago. For a Monday Night game vs Carolina and it’s so cavernous that it never truly gets loud. If you notice, they never open the roof, because then there would be zero crowd noise.

Jerry needs to bring some sound specialists in to install different architecture pieces to start capturing the noise. I don’t know what role the monster video board plays also. People were cheering and into the game, but the sound is just absorbed by the sheer mass of the building.

9. bighoutex says: Oct 12, 2012 11:09 PM

#bullsonparade

10. starfan79 says: Oct 12, 2012 11:09 PM

I live in DFW and the reason most of the good fans don’t go is cause a cheap seat ticket is $175, parking is $80.. Add one ticket and beer and food and your up to $500! I’ll watch red zone in HD from my couch with all my friends and my coke machine that is stocked with beer. The uptown $30K millionaires will spend a weeks worth of pay so they can be seen it is true. The rest of the tickets are priced for corporate big wigs and sponsors

11. tdrundmc says: Oct 12, 2012 11:09 PM

Aikman is a dumb redneck.

12. romoscollarbone says: Oct 12, 2012 11:10 PM

Also, all of the premium seats are between the 20s, so the common fan is further from the field, than the corporate type folks.

13. beckzhere says: Oct 12, 2012 11:11 PM

The truth hurts.

14. teambringitstrong says: Oct 12, 2012 11:13 PM

LOL and ya’ll call LA fans bandwagon jumpers

15. bucrightoff says: Oct 12, 2012 11:17 PM

It’s not a football stadium, its a palace of excess. Jerry’s happy, he’s laughing all the way to the plastic surgery clinic

16. scytherius says: Oct 12, 2012 11:19 PM

Agreed.

17. gadzod says: Oct 12, 2012 11:20 PM

13 straight years of losing for Bills fans. Yet, they’ve sold out all their home games so far this year, and the Titans game has been sold out for a while, too!

18. grantgoodman93 says: Oct 12, 2012 11:23 PM

Troy, I have season tickets. We go to the games and ‘be seen’ because there’s hardly much to cheer for. We don’t have much postseason hope, year in year out. You wouldn’t be cheering either.

19. mad55555 says: Oct 12, 2012 11:24 PM

This team and fans don’t belong in the NFC EAST. We call these kind of fans, roaches, bandwagon fans, frontrunners. The team is a joke. Laughingstock of the NFL. Please defend yourself you sorry excuse of people. Can you say L.A. cowgirls? Pathetic.

20. martinez1108 says: Oct 12, 2012 11:29 PM

Grew up in Chicago and will always be a Chicago fan. Have lived in Dallas for 5 yrs, nothing close to the passion Chicago shows for its sports team Aikman is dead on, Dallas only cheer for their teams when there on top. You go to a baseball game and the conversation is not who is winning , but where are we going to eat after. miss the environment at Wrigley , soldier field and united center. Don’t miss comiskey. Go Cubs,BEARS AND BULLS!!!!

21. gunndlewittlebaum says: Oct 12, 2012 11:29 PM

But I thought the whole country was their home field advantage. The Cowboys are Americas team! Aren’t they? Oh well, I hear there is another team in Texas that seems to be doing things the way Aikman and his ilk used to: WIN.

22. spellingcops says: Oct 12, 2012 11:31 PM

Short story: Dallas fans suck

23. wtfru2 says: Oct 12, 2012 11:33 PM

Way to go Troy! Tell it like it is. You might have added, having an owner like Jerrah doesn’t help either. He too is in it for the show, not reality. If he got an actual GM that knew football, the real football fans might actually start attending.

24. doclolly says: Oct 12, 2012 11:36 PM

“There was no way you could go down there near the goal line and use hard count in an opposing stadium. And yet in Texas Stadium, teams did it all the time.”

i agree, especially with the new stadium a lot of the time when i’m watching on tv i can hear the opposing team QB doing his snap count…

but then again the cowboys havent done anything recently to get excited about so there’s that

25. dontouchmyjunk says: Oct 12, 2012 11:37 PM

The Linc is like a mausoleum compared to The Vet in Philly. Happening all over the country. The new taxpayer supported palaces for billionaires are sterile, antiseptic, social clubs for the well-to-do. Mitt Romney’s people.

26. LJA says: Oct 12, 2012 11:38 PM

Dallas players go to games to be seen, not to win.

27. vinceofdarkness says: Oct 12, 2012 11:39 PM

True dat Troy. The fans are as fake as Jerry’s face!!

28. samapoc says: Oct 12, 2012 11:40 PM

C’mon, Troy. Dallas fans, much as I dislike them, are so into the Cowboys that they are beyond cheering. They are too nervous to move. They care TOO much!! And they cannot relax enough to really enjoy themselves until you are blowing out the opposition. They are as good a fan base as anyone else.

29. fthrvic says: Oct 12, 2012 11:43 PM

BAWAHAAHAHAHA……panzies

30. fatcamper says: Oct 12, 2012 11:43 PM

As a Cowboys fan I would like to punch Troy in the dick. Not once since he has retired have I heard him give his old team the Jaworski treatment and put them over. Dude sucks as a commentator too.

31. sasquash20 says: Oct 12, 2012 11:48 PM

Dallas fans are lame! I love it coming from your last golden boy. What a bunch of losers!

32. jaysaucer says: Oct 12, 2012 11:49 PM

I respect his honesty. I’m a Bills fan and been to many away games – there are certain stadiums I will never go to again for fear of getting my arse kicked. Dallas, Jacksonville, Miami, Atlanta and Carolina are not those stadiums. I felt totally fine wearing my Bills jersey there…. not so much in places like Washington, Baltimore and Philly – a dude assaulted me at the urinal when I was in mid-piss. Anyway, appreciate it Dallas fans – you’re very welcoming to away fans!

33. gatorguru says: Oct 12, 2012 11:49 PM

They need to fire Garrett.

34. packfaninvikeland says: Oct 12, 2012 11:50 PM

Dallas doesnt have fans, they have spectators..jk

35. paulitik74 says: Oct 12, 2012 11:50 PM

Ouch. Truth bomb.

36. trevor123698 says: Oct 12, 2012 11:53 PM

You can tell just watching the broadcasts. I was amazed at all the cheering for the Bears that went on in that game. I almost thought the Bears were at home in that game.

37. marionbarber24isgod says: Oct 12, 2012 11:56 PM

Very insulting. Been a Cowboys fan all twenty two years of my life. And always cheered at every one of the five games I’ve been to. I wouldn’t keep going just so someone notices me.

38. gatorguru says: Oct 12, 2012 11:57 PM

Wilbur Marshall put Troy beddybye when he played for the cardinals.Troy’s gonna need a bib in his 60’s.

39. denttlm says: Oct 12, 2012 11:59 PM

This is so true. As a Chiefs fan I went to a game Aikmans rookie season. I was shocked at what I saw. All the women where in high heels and mink coats. “Really mink coats in Dallas” the crowd was so quit that the maybe 1000 fans from kc totally drowned out the home crowed. Pathetic!

40. pantherpro says: Oct 13, 2012 12:07 AM

There are many Cowboy fans on road because there are a lot of sorry ass fans who like the Cowboys because they have won in the past
    30 years,. As soon as you lose people will jump ship. Most people outside Texas hate you red neck tea party morons! Your governor can barely string a sentence together. Mitt sucks too!

Go Niners

41. esser915 says: Oct 13, 2012 12:08 AM

As a person who had standing room season tickets for every year Cowboys Stadium has existed (Till this year since I moved away from Dallas), I completely agree with Troy on this.

Unless there’s a major play, it’s impossible to get any sustained noise out of the crowd. Plus once they do get loud, they don’t know when to shut up again (thus the offense has do deal with just as much noise as if they were in a rival’s stadium).

Finally, too often the crowd consists of at least a tenth of fans of the opposing team. This is especially true of teams that are nearby or have good traveling fan bases (the biggest I can recall are the Saints & Falcons)>

I may not like what Troy is saying, but he’s 100% right.

42. der6495 says: Oct 13, 2012 12:13 AM

He’s saying you wouldn’t see Dallas fans doing anything like the “Balfour Rage”

43. petehemlock says: Oct 13, 2012 12:15 AM

It’s funny. Felger on 98.5 in Boston said a couple years ago when the Red Sox were good that Fenway Park was the trendiest bar in Boston. Side note: The ‘true’ fans were contemptuous of the Red Sox’ success in that they differentiated themselves from the ‘pink hats’ (fair weather or front-running fans – chicks wear pink Red Sox hats like chicks wear pink Romo jerseys) and essentially the team they all rooted for. Look what happened.

44. justintuckrule says: Oct 13, 2012 12:36 AM

It’s not just Dallas. The new giants stadium is a library and this coming from a fan that was priced right out. Greed has killed the stadium experience. Now you get a bunch of corporate fans doing nothing but checking their iPhones all game. Sad.

45. damnskins703 says: Oct 13, 2012 12:43 AM

I can’t believe the Nats lost…. Who cares about the sorry A$$ cowboys Drew Storen you suck at life

46. salukis92 says: Oct 13, 2012 12:44 AM

Cowboys282 said this: “What Troy fails to mention is that when the Cowboys are away, no other team has as many fans in opposing stadiums then the Cowboys.”

wow. w’ a handle like that it’s obvious that comment is biased. it’s well documented that the best traveling fans are the Packers, Steelers and Bears.

47. greg172006 says: Oct 13, 2012 12:59 AM

As a Cowboys fan, I have been to many home/away of the Cowboys including Texas Stadium and Cowboys Stadium and I left everyone of them with no voice from cheering and yelling! But I don’t speak for all of the fans Bc it seemed like there was only a small portion of the Cowboys fans actually into the game yelling and cheering.

If your a true Cowboys fan at especially a home game its our responsibility to help the Cowboys out by getting loud bc we are the 12th man to make the opposing team get false starts, burned timeouts and etc from the noise level. I hate to say it Bc I love the Cowboys but its true Bc as I leave the stadium everytime I say to myself the crowd could have got more into the game especially in close games we lost. I will say there are times the stadium gets loud as hell but it don’t stay consistent throughout the entire game

Cowboys have one of the biggest fan bases in the NFL, you would think we would have one of the hardest stadiums for a opposing team to win at!

*IF YOUR SHY TO YELL AT A GAME, DRINK MORE AND LET ALL YOUR FUSTRATION OUT ON THE OPPOSING TEAM!!!!

48. CKL says: Oct 13, 2012 1:10 AM

There are a lot of teams that have this problem in their stadia. I’ve even heard some crowds that cheer loudly when the home team is on offense. D’oh. I’ve seen a lot of teams’ stadia get taken over by opposing fans too. One team I’ve NEVER seen that with is the Steelers. Every away game they play even sounds like a home game, regardless of the stadium. Tennessee on Thursday included.

49. zn0rseman says: Oct 13, 2012 1:24 AM

He’s full of it about one thing…

Texas stadium had a huge home field advantage. The field was shaped like an upside down soup bowl, with the center of the field 2 feet taller than the sides. The Cowboys claime that was for drainage, but it doesn’t take a genius to figure out that it is an indoor field and that opposing QB’s kept throwing lots of high passes to the outside leading to lots of interceptions for a Dallas defense that was always flat on the road but for some reason were ball hawks at home. Hmmm… I wonder why?

50. youhavenoclue says: Oct 13, 2012 1:51 AM

Steelers fans fill the road stadiums up better than any fan base.. and its not even close..

51. staffordsyear says: Oct 13, 2012 2:00 AM

When building a monstrous billion dollar stadium with over saturated seats and a worthless big screen goes wrong.

52. alldonesmith says: Oct 13, 2012 2:29 AM

Just gained so much respect for Troy Aikman

53. ravenmuscle says: Oct 13, 2012 2:42 AM

If any Cowboy fans come to the Raven game they will leave on a stretcher.

54. wolfmanpatriot says: Oct 13, 2012 3:03 AM

===========================

This is because when a young Texan reaches 18, he moves the heck out of Texas!

55. pflynn20 says: Oct 13, 2012 4:18 AM

What would you expect from fans that go to a stadium that has a friggin Victoria Secret store inside???

56. NakedCowboy! says: Oct 13, 2012 4:51 AM

its not dallas fans… its cowboys fans… i lived in dallas and for 2 years and went to both mavs and cowboys game… mavs AA center is an extremely loud place…

57. itsmammoth says: Oct 13, 2012 5:15 AM

I’m 25 now and I’ve grown up with the Cowboys from day one. I hardly lived through the 90’s team but Aikman is dead on. I hate my team’s home crowd. I hate the way they spike these ticket prices. I wish they would lower them so the “real” and “rowdy” fans could get in there. You seriously find yourself paying $200 for nosebleeds.. No one wants to do that! :( I hate the stadium. It looks nice and all (I guess) but to me it’s not a FOOTBALL stadium. I love the layouts of Soldier and Lambeau field, etc. Those are REAL football stadiums. Jerry Jones has turned this franchise into a joke… a damn JOKE. It’s not about football anymore. It’s about money. I seriously went to a Dallas Cowboys game expecting fans to be as excited as me… it was the last game I went to, and I probably won’t go back.

58. bluefan204 says: Oct 13, 2012 6:18 AM

This isn’t news to anyone. Thousands of people I’ve run into over the years who claim to be Dallas fans were born and raised in the north east, and have never so much as set foot in the state of Texas, or even left the north east region once.

I have no problem when someone picks a team from somewhere else, but picking a team because they’re winners is exactly what real football fans despise, which is why the Dallas “fanbase” is so universally hated and ridiculed. While they do have true fans, the majority of them are remnants of the past, and their only motivation is “5 rings baby!!”

Well done, Troy. You’ve said what millions have been saying for 20 years. It means more coming from you.

59. mempusa says: Oct 13, 2012 6:40 AM

Attaboy Troy!

60. jpb12 says: Oct 13, 2012 7:21 AM

For an extra $20 they’ll get a guy to clean your glasses. For an extra $100 the guy’ll do it on TV.

Team is a reflection of its owner, not the fan base.

61. gammynomnom says: Oct 13, 2012 7:22 AM

I agree with what he said and I’m glad to her him acknowledge it isn’t just a ” new stadium ” thing. Dallas fans are like Lakers fans for home games. Always have been.

62. gammynomnom says: Oct 13, 2012 7:28 AM

zn0rseman says:
    Oct 13, 2012 1:24 AM
    He’s full of it about one thing…

___________________________________

Because yea, Im sure you know more about playing n Texas stadium than Troy Aikman. Who does THAT guy think he’s fooling?

63. ripster65 says: Oct 13, 2012 7:32 AM

——–

That doesn’t give them any sort of home field advantage either. Totally off point. Troy’s point is that Jerry World is no home field advantage whatsoever. No matter the fans at road games, they’ll never give Dallas an advantage on the road.

64. kingpel says: Oct 13, 2012 7:46 AM

Here’s the problem. You have a lot to cheer for, but you just dont realize it. No post season hope year in year out? You need to take a road trip to Seattle or Buffalo, man.

grantgoodman93 says:Oct 12, 2012 11:23 PM

65. gpry says: Oct 13, 2012 7:50 AM

@Cowboys282 I gurantee you there will not be thousands of cowboys fans this sunday!!

66. redstar504 says: Oct 13, 2012 8:04 AM

I remember a saints game back in 2006 I watched from home here in New Orleans and I remember being able to Deuce real loud down the stretch of a lopsided win as deuce mcallister was running wild over the Cowboys eating up the clock in the 4th quarter in the old Texas Stadium.

Now that doesn’t mean anything because Dallas and NOLA are pretty close and plenty of Dallas fans come here to the Superdome and plenty of Saints fans go to Dallas. I just remember Texas Stadium being reasonably quite.

I don’t think that is any indictment of Cowboys fans. I know quite a few Dallas fans and they are just as loud and obnoxious at games as anyone else. I think more than anything what goes on in Dallas is the true fans have been priced out of the market. What they have in stadium attending games are less fans and more so socialites that are indeed there only to see and be seen. The game is just a live show playing out in front of them which is ashamed because a loud crowd can have a huge effect on a game but hey Jerry has bills to pay so he’ll take the golf clap crowd at 200 a ticket over the loud obnoxious drunk crowd at 100 bucks a pop,

67. mungman69 says: Oct 13, 2012 8:22 AM

Philly is so loud you can’t hear yourself. Same with North Jersey and D.C. Dallas is sooo quiet.

68. bkostela says: Oct 13, 2012 8:29 AM

ravenmuscle says:
    Oct 13, 2012 2:42 AM
    If any Cowboy fans come to the Raven game they will leave on a stretcher.

—————

I can’t stand the cowboys, but that’s pathetic. Seriously, grow up.

69. a55hol says: Oct 13, 2012 8:42 AM

Been to both Texas Stadium and Cowboys Stadium and Troy is right. Just not the loud rowdy crowd. And anyone blaming it on the stadium itself is dead wrong. I’m also an LSU fan and I went to see them play the Aggies, and it was LOUD. VERY LOUD. It’s the people. I know I stand, yell, and sometimes people just stare at me like i’m crazy. Troy is right on, hate to say it, but its true. If this hurts your pride, and you’re a Cowboys fan, do something about it. GET LOUD. If you need lessons, come to Baton Rouge for a Tigers game once.

70. musicman495 says: Oct 13, 2012 8:47 AM

What I love is that when the team is losing, the Jerry Mahal turns into a mausoleum.

71. martinez1108 says: Oct 13, 2012 9:09 AM

Aikman is so true. Bears fans we where heard Monday night. Cowboys fans did not know how to react!!!! Go Bears!

72. ham1 says: Oct 13, 2012 9:20 AM

There was no stadium like the old RFK stadium.
    It was like the coliseum in Rome. You were looking down on the action on the field and the stands . the stands would literally shake and the whole stadium would be rocking. Unreal.
    I loved standing in the mezzanine looking over the edge as Emmit turned the football over in the endzone. Place went crazy. The seat cushion game when Atlanta came to DC with MC Hammer, and Glanville rode out a Harley and they unwittingly gave the fans seat cushions. As the skins closed out the falcons those cushions went flying everywhere it was truly a spectacle.
    Glad I did not ever have to grow up dealing with the Texas stadium. It seems now the real team in Texas is not Dallas anyhow so why worry about it?

73. daggolden says: Oct 13, 2012 9:23 AM

I remember traveling in 2004 from Philly for Philly vs Dallas Mon night. T.O.s coming out party. 20,000 Philly fans took over the Dallas-Fort worth area than proceeded to take over Texas stadium. It was like a home game.

74. alonestartexan says: Oct 13, 2012 9:26 AM

Aikman didn’t call out the hundreds of thousands of bandwagon fans around the country that became fans during the early 1990’s.

He called out the fans IN DALLAS.

Houston has better sports fans anyway.

75. cowboysallday says: Oct 13, 2012 9:31 AM

He’s right

76. ravenschick says: Oct 13, 2012 10:23 AM

Come tomorrow, the Cowboys will find out what REAL fans sound like! M&T Bank Stadium – ESPN’S #1 Toughest NFL Venue! GO RAVENS!

77. thelastpieceofcheese says: Oct 13, 2012 10:28 AM

Fans from towns like Chicago where you can go out there and go 4-12 and they’re stilling selling out stadiums are fools!

78. keepingitrealdumb says: Oct 13, 2012 10:33 AM

aikman is completely correct and i don’t think there is anything wrong with it. a dallas cowboys home game is more like a social event .. just something to do .. a chance to spend a little money and party in that gorgeous stadium .. and oh by the way, there is a pro football game going on. nothing wrong with that .. sounds like fun to me.

79. mancave001 says: Oct 13, 2012 10:44 AM

Rex Grossman says:
    Oct 12, 2012 10:59 PM
    ===============

He didn’t insult the fans. He insulted venue. And he’s right. It’s like watching a New Year’s Eve party on TV. That’s the feel of it. Doesn’t even feel like an NFL game.

80. larrydavid7000 says: Oct 13, 2012 10:57 AM

As a Redskin fan I found out bigger is not better. RFK was a great place to see a game and root for the Redskins loud and no visiting team fans. Now we are at Redskin stadium which was the biggest stadium at its time 92,000. The bigger the more fans and more opposing team fans can attend the game at anytime. Thats why Snyder down sized the stadium capacity. I can see this year less opposing fans attending home games this year.

81. johnnyquick says: Oct 13, 2012 11:01 AM

Jerry Jones should be commended for pricing out the riff raff boor fans!

82. ilovefoolsball says: Oct 13, 2012 11:40 AM

It’s a purty stadium for everyone else to win in that’s for sure!

83. FinFan68 says: Oct 13, 2012 11:45 AM

Troy is right. Many “fans” go to the game to be seen…and most of those social butterflies could not name more than 5 guys on the field. That is the same deal as in LA and now Miami. These folks spend money and sadly that is who the owners cater to now. The average true fan usually settles for the scraps while they actually support their teams.

84. meximoshdc says: Oct 13, 2012 11:45 AM

I am a die Hard Dallas Cowboys fan and I cannot agree more with what Aikman said. Truth is when you go to the cowboys game its not a bunch of Die hard fans guzzling beer and getting loud. Its mostly women dressed up to the nines with their three daughters all wearing pink cowboy jerseys, and rhinestone cowboy boots. That not to say that there aren’t your hardcore fans cheering at the top of their lungs, But for the most part its a very uppity place. The thing I thought that completely killed the vibe though was the announcer. My god Ive never heard someone less enthused to do what has to be one of my top 5 dream jobs. He might as well been working for any minor league baseball team ( But even then he’s probably be fired) I think if they changed him out to someone who could actually get the crowd excited it would make a huge difference even with the fans they attract at home.

85. FinFan68 says: Oct 13, 2012 11:51 AM

thelastpieceofcheese says:
    Oct 13, 2012 10:28 AM
    ************
    Not fools…these folks are real fans of their teams. The rest are bandwagon “fans” that only want to be associated with “winners”. The team and game mean little to them.

86. joestemme says: Oct 13, 2012 12:54 PM

Having watched hundreds of Cowboys games on TV for decades (they were “America’s Team” and had as many games on the tube as anybody for years and years), I can not recall a single time the opposing QB ever had to call a TO because he couldn’t be heard over the crowd noise in Dallas.

Troy was there folks (and still goes to games). He’s right.

And, if you asked Roger Staubach, I’m sure he’d reluctantly agree.

87. gmen1080 says: Oct 13, 2012 12:58 PM

This is the most sense Aikman has made in years.

88. sufferingbirdsfan says: Oct 13, 2012 1:20 PM

I didn’t need Aikman to tell me Dallas fans are frauds but I appreciate his honesty.

89. beeronthefridge says: Oct 13, 2012 1:33 PM

Money grubbing unscrupulous owners love hard core fans that fill stadiums even though the team stinks!

90. brooklyndoingit11 says: Oct 13, 2012 2:23 PM

Can someone plz explain to me why the Cowboys play in the NFC East?! It should be Giants, Eagles, Redskins, and Ravens… The NFL did the right thing when they took the Cards out the Div it’s time for Goodell to do something right and fix this

91. elwaysmilehighdenver says: Oct 13, 2012 3:02 PM

Schucks! I thought ya’ll go to them games
    to few the greatest cheerleaders in the NFL!

92. backindasaddle says: Oct 13, 2012 3:12 PM

I love this….. “They go there to be seen” LOL. This is an stinging indictment of the people attending the game. If it is accurate then those people can’t even be considered as real true fans. They’re more like “socialites” and are concerned with their social status than the outcome of the game. Nice job Troy of calling these impostors out.

93. dallascowboysdishingthereal says: Oct 13, 2012 3:15 PM

Aikman makes a valid point. The numbers show that Dallas has not had a home field advantage since they came to Jerry’s Big Top circus stadium.

94. spfripp says: Oct 13, 2012 6:28 PM

The way I see it is all the teams with a great fan base are the ones that find ways to make to the fans feel as they are part of the game. For example, the Packers have the lambo leap, the Steelers have the terrible towels. As a Dolphin fan I remember fans were loud and proud when the fins played in the orange bowl. When they built what was Joe Robbie Stadium back then, they placed the seats much further away from the field which I think caused a disconnect between the fans and the team. Ross and Jones probably think that glitz and glamour will attract fans but fans when fans really want to feel like they are part of the team.