Report: No extension offer made to Pioli

Clark Hunt, Scott Pioli AP

Earlier Sunday, CBSSports.com’s Jason LaCanfora reported the Chiefs offered general manager Scott Pioli a contract extension.

After the Chiefs’ latest loss dropped the team to 22-32 under Pioli, Adam Teicher of the Kansas City Star reported no such offer was made.

Teicher, citing a “source close to the situation,” said the Chiefs have made no offer of an extension, describing the source as “emphatic.”

Asked after the game, Chiefs owner Clark Hunt did not answer questions about Pioli’s contract, saying: “We don’t discuss people’s contracts publicly.”

Regardless, any deal Pioli does or doesn’t get should include language that he has to acquire a quarterback, if not multiple quarterbacks, next chance he gets.

Brady Quinn was no better than Matt Cassel, as the Chiefs dropped a 38-10 decision at Tampa Bay.

Permalink 11 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Kansas City Chiefs, Rumor Mill
11 Responses to “Report: No extension offer made to Pioli”
  1. green41563 says: Oct 14, 2012 5:48 PM

Clark Hunt: Scott, I don’t get it. If I’ve told you once, I’ve told you a million times: draft the next Tom Brady in the sixth round!

Scott Piolo: Well, that’s the thing, Mr. Hunt. I mean, the truth about New England is that I got lucky. I mean, sure, I tell everyone that we thought Brady was going to be good, but does anyone believe that crock? I mean, come on. We had no idea; that’s why we didn’t take him until the sixth round. And had it not been for that stroke of dumb luck, the Patriots would have been the Dolphins for the past 10 years. So the truth is, I really have no idea what I’m doing.

2. gbatap says: Oct 14, 2012 5:53 PM

Interesting. Chiefs fans starting to organize a movement to have no one enter the stadium, or as it’s known in Tampa and Oakland “Any given sunday”, when the Chiefs play the Raiders in two weeks. Apparently they think a banner flown over the stadium asking for Pioli and Crennel to be fired wasn’t enough but maybe an empty stadium will be.

3. surferbum01 says: Oct 14, 2012 5:58 PM

and in other news…the sun is hot, the earth is spherical and they shy is blue. I’m not even a Chiefs fan but I can see he’s done nothing with that club.

4. jeffz303 says: Oct 14, 2012 6:22 PM

So obviously one of two things happened here. Either the Chiefs–ie Clark Hunt–sensed the backlash from the fans and pulled the extension, OR, Scott Pioli or one if his henchmen leaked a story about him getting an extension to Jason LaConfora.

5. chuckxx says: Oct 14, 2012 6:52 PM

Folks just remember the Chiefs are only in the 4th year of a 25 year plan. Have patience.

6. kcnavn says: Oct 14, 2012 7:06 PM

We are not gladiators, we are fans. I am absolutely embarrassed to cheer for a team that plays like this…I have never been more embarrassed Than I am right now!!!

7. blogatron2000 says: Oct 14, 2012 7:27 PM

What is becoming abundantly clear this season is that while Pioli does have success picking players and building a roster (QB issue aside) he has demonstrated absolutely no ability to pick head coaches.

The Haley fiasco is well documented. Things were supposed to be much better once RAC got the job but the team they’re putting on the field this year is fundamentally unsound and has no focus. That is poor coaching plain and simple.

On the bright side, while the other 31 teams are playing to win, the Chiefs are getting the jump on all of them for a top 3 draft pick. QB anyone?

8. jodave5 says: Oct 14, 2012 7:43 PM

blogatron2000 says:
    Oct 14, 2012 7:27 PM
    ——————————-
    Or not…..#3 overall Tyson Jackson, 2nd round pick Dexter McFumble, 2nd round pick Javier Arenas, etc. The only draft picks of the Pioli regime that have worked out has been Justin Houston and, to some extent, Mr. Irrelevant Ryan Succup. Any player we have worth their weight came from the previous regime. Charles, Hali, D.J., Alberts, Bowe. Time to start over….again…I’ll be in the corner, in the fetal position, crying myself to sleep….

9. hankstramjr says: Oct 14, 2012 9:27 PM

Thank God!

10. rajbais says: Oct 14, 2012 9:46 PM

Thank god!!!! Mediocrity and fraudulence from Belichick’s success deserves no money!!

11. raiderapologist says: Oct 14, 2012 10:18 PM

Mel Cooley is going to get fired if Hunt Jr. ever stops counting his money long enough to pay attention to the team.