Cleveland architects propose geodesic dome for Browns

geodesicdome02 Getty Images

Soon-to-be Browns owner Jimmy Haslam wants to look into putting a lid on the team’s stadium.  A pair of Cleveland architects (one of whom may or may not be named Art Vandalay) has an idea, according to newsnet5.com.

A geodesic dome.

Those of who you, like us, have committed to memory the lyrics of Who Needs The Kwik-E-Mart? may not have realized that a geodesic dome is actually, you know, a thing.  But it is.

In this case, it would be a 1,100-foot diameter half-sphere that would be constructed over the existing stadium.

“It’s open around the base and would allow fresh air to come in and it would allow heated air to be extracted near the top,” architect Geoffrey Varga said. “People would have to dress for the normal weather conditions. However, you’re not going to be rained on and you’re not going to be snowed on but if it was winter, you would wear winter clothes.”

It sounds like a fancy car port.  And the idea probably will never get out of the garage.

Permalink 16 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cleveland Browns, Home, Rumor Mill
16 Responses to “Cleveland architects propose geodesic dome for Browns”
  1. skolpackers says: Oct 15, 2012 8:03 AM

football was made to be played in the outdoor elements!

2. nolahxc says: Oct 15, 2012 8:39 AM

This sounds like it’ll look really weird.

I wish all stadiums were outside stadiums, though… just seems more natural.

3. buckeyebomber says: Oct 15, 2012 8:42 AM

Worst idea ever! If you are going to make a dome, make a dome. If I am going to wear winter clothes to the game let the weather impact the game as well.

4. tannethrill says: Oct 15, 2012 8:45 AM

It’s been an option for rebuilding your stadium in Madden for quite some time.

5. jprcox says: Oct 15, 2012 8:52 AM

What next, a roof at lambeau? Come on, this is Cleveland it is supposed to be snowy here and there.

6. dcsuperfan says: Oct 15, 2012 8:53 AM

This is a patently ridiculous idea. I hope for Cleveland’s sake Haslam sees this as plainly as most do. BTW the Simpsons reference went over my head, anyone kind enough to clear it up for me?

7. jackblackshairyback says: Oct 15, 2012 8:55 AM

I’m not crazy about that particular design, but i like the outside the box thinking.

8. steelcityzombie says: Oct 15, 2012 8:59 AM

to put the browns into a dome would be a shame!!!

9. richardf954 says: Oct 15, 2012 9:04 AM

Looks more like a bee hive … I got a better Idea , How about investing some of those billion dollars in to putting a quality product on the field.

10. pmulry says: Oct 15, 2012 9:08 AM

All it needs now is a monorail station. Look what it did for Ogdenville and North Haverbrook!

11. Tim says: Oct 15, 2012 9:38 AM

Monorail comment > Kwik-e-Mart comment. Glad someone else was thinking that too!

12. rarson says: Oct 15, 2012 11:24 AM

This can work, but they need to have levels, everywhere. Levels, Jerry.

13. sarkent says: Oct 15, 2012 3:15 PM

The Mariners stadium is the same idea – a carport-type covering roof when closed that does not change the outside temperature.

But for a football stadium the whole thing is a stupid idea.

14. oldcracker says: Oct 15, 2012 3:30 PM

Born and raised in the greater Cleveland area, some of my best football memories include Otto Graham, and later, Jim Brown playing in the snow, rain and mud.

I guess those days are gone now….just like meaningful manufacturing jobs, three shifts working, and over-time.

Now days, it’s private boxes, steroid use, drug use, bling-bling, agents/lawyers, and teams threatening to move every couple of years.

Whateve happened to the game?

15. gobigred55 says: Oct 15, 2012 3:57 PM

It’s more of a Shelbyville idea.

16. bruisedude42 says: Oct 17, 2012 5:51 AM

What advantage has the open air stadium gotten us to this point. The way this current team is constructed I think the offense and passing game would benefit immensely from having a dome. I don’t like this half dome idea but I’m not totally against putting a dome on this stadium. I don’t really care either way, but I don’t understand why everyone on here is so against it when we’ve gone 4-12 almost every year since this stadium has been built.