Cutler: Fatherhood makes him think differently about criticism

Jay Cutler AP

Call him the kinder, gentler Jay Cutler.

The Bears quarterback, who has often shrugged off criticism of his behavior, admitted that sometimes the nasty things people say about him hurt his feelings.

Cutler told Sean Jensen of the Chicago Sun-Times his perspective changed when his son was born last August, and he sees some things differently now.

“On one hand, it puts a lot of things in perspective about what’s important and what’s not important,” Cutler said. “On the other hand, it makes you value the position you’re in a little more. I enjoy going to work. It’s fun to be in a position to be the quarterback for the Chicago Bears. …

“Not a ton of people get to do this. It’s something I enjoy, and it’s something I hope I’m still doing whenever Camden is a little older and he can watch and he can enjoy it.”

Of course, when Camden’s a toddler, he might recognize some of his dad’s outbursts from his younger years, and Cutler said recent scoldings from analysts such as Terry Bradshaw stung him.

“There’s a certain point where it bothers you. It bothers me,” Cutler said. “A lot of these people don’t know me, and they don’t know what happens behind the scenes at our place.

“I’ve never had a teammate come out and say, ‘He’s a bad guy. I don’t like playing with him.’ I’ve had teammates who have been supportive of me, and that’s the most important part to me.”

Cutler said he and offensive coordinator Mike Tice had a productive conversation on the sidelines in Dallas, but the video that played on a loop for a week was of him walking away from Tice.

“He came over, and I was like, ‘We got to make that. We got some more stuff we can call.’ And he said, ‘I totally agree. Let’s go,’ ” Cutler said. “And we moved on. …

“I understand a lot of these guys have a job to do and these networks have a job to do and they’ve got to make TV happen. But it does get old, and it hurts sometimes. But I have to keep playing football, and I got to keep winning games.”

That’s the ultimate prescription for Cutler.

If he wins a Super Bowl in Chicago, all the antics that annoyed folks will become colorful. If he loses, people will hang onto his prickly personality, and that’ll be all they remember.

Permalink 52 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Chicago Bears, Home, Rumor Mill
52 Responses to “Cutler: Fatherhood makes him think differently about criticism”
  1. mjbulls45 says: Oct 15, 2012 5:08 PM

does not make up for the fact he didnt play in the nfc title game

and then was seen taking the stairs at dinner with his girlfriend,

he’s not bears tuff.

2. sweetsweetdrew says: Oct 15, 2012 5:09 PM

“I’ve never had a teammate come out and say, ‘He’s a bad guy. I don’t like playing with him.’ ”

To your face…

3. prmpft says: Oct 15, 2012 5:17 PM

so is he gonna teach his kid to be a quitter too? how about a snippy little pissant who everyone wants to punch?

4. chicagobtech says: Oct 15, 2012 5:20 PM

People still want to rail on Cutler for his knee? Here’s one for you:

I broke my leg two years ago. I did so in a manner that allowed me to walk on it, and if I walked slowly enough it didn’t hurt. Didn’t change the fact that I broke my leg.

Cutler sprained his MCL. It’s a ligament that stabilizes the lateral movement of the knee. I’m not sure about you, but I don’t find myself needing that when I’m walking up stairs or otherwise in a straight line. Running around on a football field, needing to cut or turn? OhYeah.

5. ShimSham says: Oct 15, 2012 5:24 PM

“does not make up for the fact he didnt play in the nfc title game”
    ——————–

6. jbl429 says: Oct 15, 2012 5:28 PM

mjbulls45 says:
    Oct 15, 2012 5:08 PM
    does not make up for the fact he didnt play in the nfc title game

and then was seen taking the stairs at dinner with his girlfriend,

he’s not bears tuff.

—–

I’m no bears or cutler fan, but clearly you’re not a physical therapist. climbing stairs is a lot different than playing football. and going down stairs is much more strenuous on a knee than going up. but continue being stupid.

7. nfloracle says: Oct 15, 2012 5:29 PM

It’s like I’ve been saying as a non-Bear fan… I’d rather have a fired up Cutler leading my team than a cultural icon wannabe like Cam Newton.

And now we know from this article that Jay has feelings too.

Humor aside, congratulations on being a Dad, Jay.

8. bjo109 says: Oct 15, 2012 5:36 PM

Oh, and for Terry Bradshaw- you sir, are the biggest moron alive. You hate Ben Roethlisberger…why? Because he’s better than you were, Terry?

9. cuda1234 says: Oct 15, 2012 5:38 PM

Can anyone name the last bears QB who WASN’T savaged by the media?

10. thelastpieceofcheese says: Oct 15, 2012 5:39 PM

I feel sorry for Kristin Cavallari, VC fiancee and mother of his child.

Now she has to deal with two babies!

11. briggsisbrokeagain says: Oct 15, 2012 5:41 PM

He’s winning and has more talent than any Bear QB in my lifetime and I forgive him for being imperfect. At least he’s not taking pictures of his short comings and sending it in text messages. Last time I looked he hasn’t been killing dogs and fumbling all game long. There are way bigger problem players in the NFL.

12. sullijo1 says: Oct 15, 2012 5:55 PM

Jay Cutler having a baby makes me SERIOUSLY doubt these claims of “natural selection.”

13. sullijo1 says: Oct 15, 2012 5:57 PM

nfloracle says: Oct 15, 2012 5:29 PM

————

C’mon……Cultural Icon can get you to the Presidency these days….

14. larryboodry says: Oct 15, 2012 6:00 PM

And Bradshaw has a very short memory, when he was playing he and Chuck Noll had a much pricklier relationship than Jay and Tice do. Some of Terry’s quotes then, if Cutler made them now, y’all would be all over that.

15. packhawk04 says: Oct 15, 2012 6:03 PM

Same ol’ jay…

16. lushy21 says: Oct 15, 2012 6:04 PM

I wonder if Jay’s baby cry’s and pouts as much as he does? I mean it would be understandable seeing as how it’s a baby and all.

17. jdubfla says: Oct 15, 2012 6:19 PM

Here Here

A tip of the hat to a very fair and spot on post.

18. fuddpucker says: Oct 15, 2012 6:20 PM

Cutler has done a lot to ruin his reputation. He can complain about it, whine about it, remark about it, but it is all his own undoing.

Sorry Jay Cutler, you get no sympathy from me.

19. billsfan1 says: Oct 15, 2012 6:28 PM

Ronnie Lott played after the tip of his finger was ripped off..point is people play with pain… Travis Henry finished a game with broken leg.

20. tecmobowl34 says: Oct 15, 2012 6:31 PM

@fuddpucker

I’m sure Cutler is losing lots of sleep from his lack of sympathy from you

21. chi01town says: Oct 15, 2012 6:39 PM

Yea same old Jay Cutler an just like always he continue to WIN like right NOW Cutler an the Chicago Bears are in first place. Just because the Texans laid down for the packers dont mean you can talk about Cutler ……because Chicago losed to the packers that aint enough to stop them from winning the north

22. larryboodry says: Oct 15, 2012 6:45 PM

ShimSham says: Oct 15, 2012 5:24 PM

“It was good for the Bears that he didn’t finish that game. The game wasn’t close until Hanie came in.”

Uh-huh…And last year the Bears were playoff-bound at 7-3, until Hanie came in.

23. omegaichiban says: Oct 15, 2012 6:45 PM

Funny…Tice didn’t have that “good talk” look on his face; he looked like “I can’t believe this punk walked away from me ” look.

24. omegaichiban says: Oct 15, 2012 6:48 PM

Annnnd Ngata is about to play with the same injury

25. gdfbar says: Oct 15, 2012 6:59 PM

——————————————————

Pain is one thing, but instability in a knee is completely different. You can’t plant right with a sprained knee, and that makes it hard to throw a football. Cutler was hurt in the middle of the first half, and he did keep playing. He was injured and ineffective, and he was pulled from the game. That happens to players all the time, and you don’t get this kind of reaction. Ronnie Lott and his finger don’t have anything to do with Jay Cutler’s knee. All injuries are different, and they all effect your ability to do different things in different ways.

Right after that loss, both Olin Krutz and Brian Urlacher vehemently defended Cutler. Those are a couple of pretty tough, outspoken guys and both of them were minutes away from watching what may have been their last shot at a Super Bowl disappear. I will take their word over that of somebody who compares a safety’s injured finger to a quarterback’s injured knee.

26. larryboodry says: Oct 15, 2012 7:33 PM

omegaichiban says: Oct 15, 2012 6:48 PM

“Annnnd Ngata is about to play with the same injury”

Ngata does not have a sprained MCL, Ravens website describes it as a minor tweak…He may have to wear a brace, but there was no mention of that.

27. larryboodry says: Oct 15, 2012 7:49 PM

Jay is 23-9 in his last 32 starts, and 9-1 in his last 10…He is married to Kristin Cavallari and has an infant son…He has never been arrested for anything…He has, however, been a stabilizing influence on Brandon Marshall, and his sideline incident with J’Marcus Webb, rather than causing friction in the locker room, has helped Webb and the O-line play better – and seen the team go 3-0 since then.

Works for me, and most real Bears fans.

28. burgler22 says: Oct 15, 2012 8:41 PM

I don’t care how many kids he has. I wish Mike Tice would have horse-collar tackled that prima donna after he walked away from him.

29. cameraguy76 says: Oct 15, 2012 8:42 PM

larryboodry
    Oct 15, 2012, 7:49 PM EDT

Works for me, and most real Bears fans.

___________________________

Well said man. Jay might not be everyone’s first choice to have a beer with but can’t argue with his effort or stats. He will get ripped until he wins a Super Bowl and I hope he does in his tenure.

30. fdugrad says: Oct 15, 2012 8:53 PM

31. larryboodry says: Oct 15, 2012 10:05 PM

fdugrad says: Oct 15, 2012 8:53 PM

“I don’t care one way or another, however I can’t help noticing how many thumbs down appeared on any post critical of JC. I imagine it must be the Bears fans standing up for their qb. It also might explain why a recent away game against the Cowboys sounded like a game in Chicago. Bears fans appear to be true-blue to the midnight blue.”

Yes, we are true-blue, and the tide of criticism against Jay may finally be turning…The same small core of stubborn haters will continue to post trash, but real fans are finally realizing that Jay is for real.

32. justjen321 says: Oct 15, 2012 10:22 PM

fdugrad -”I don’t care one way or another, however I can’t help noticing how many thumbs down appeared on any post critical of JC. I imagine it must be the Bears fans standing up for their qb. ”

Hah. I’m a lifelong Bears fan, and I can assure you, Bears fans DO not ‘stand up for their QB’s’. Chicago is very, very hard on Quarterbacks. :) It’s their favorite pastime, demonizing the guy who throws the ball. No matter his stats, no matter his record. The title ‘QB’ means he’s gonna take a lot of hits in the media and from the fans.

33. canuck54143 says: Oct 15, 2012 10:23 PM

Stop throwing INT’s and Beat the Packers and everything will be better. personally I wanted to punch Webb too that game. Smile, get the offense together on the side line when things are going bad, and cheer on your teammates instead of looking like the game is over. Show us this is your team! Stop the whatever crap, and gives us more I’m gonna, we’re gonna . I don’t wanna hear everyone keep saying he’s got a million dollar arm and a 10 cent head.

34. ncjjdix says: Oct 15, 2012 10:26 PM

thats all he does is win… i will take cutler on my team any day. jay is passionate for the game….. 4-1 this year and 1 of the top 3 teams in nfc last year b4 his broken thumb. guys in here that give him crap in here, wouldnt say it to his face. plus he is back playing, lotta u pansies would still be laying on the couch at your moms house…. 4-1 baby and counting.

35. chi01town says: Oct 15, 2012 10:33 PM

The Media dont like Cutler because he dont kiss up to them… how can anybody blame him. They watch everything he does an look for anything they can use against him. Try This… Cutler is a winner.. right now the Bears are in 1st place an they will win the north this year by beating the teams that they are suppose to beat. UNLIKE the packers who lost to the Colts an no matter what the call was they LOST to Seattle.

36. pftcensorssuck says: Oct 15, 2012 10:38 PM

Tt’s my experience that guys who are miserable dicks don’t change after having a baby …. they just raise ANOTHER miserable dick.

37. thousandcasts says: Oct 15, 2012 11:03 PM

I’m a Lions fan and I’m supposed to hate the Bears–which I do. That said, I would LOVE to see just one Lions player start doing anything that resembles having a pair. Call cutler anything you want and I know I have, but no matter how he expresses it, he’s definitely someone who’s gonna try and light a fire under his team when need be. If someone on the Lions showed that kind of fire during a game, I’d probably die of shock.

38. fugetaboutit says: Oct 15, 2012 11:48 PM

All you people criticizing Cutler for his toughness are absolute ignorants. I would like to see you out there I bet you’ll be on a stretcher during warm ups

39. thetokyosandblaster says: Oct 16, 2012 12:22 AM

chi01town says:
    Oct 15, 2012 6:39 PM

—–

Um, actually it WILL be enough to stop them from winning the north.

The Packers own the tie breaker–and let’s face it, Jay can’t beat the Packers, so they’ll lose again– while the Packers will lose maybe one or two more games, Chicago will lose at LEAST 4 more…

If both teams end up 11-5 (which is a real possibility), the Packers will beat the bears in the tiebreaker.

I feel bad for you, but I feel worse for your parents.

40. thetokyosandblaster says: Oct 16, 2012 12:25 AM

chi01town says:
    Oct 15, 2012 10:33 PM

—-

Cutler is not a winner.

He’s had one winning season since pop-warner. He needs 8 more winning seasons to come out even.

Uh oh.

41. larryboodry says: Oct 16, 2012 7:26 AM

pftcensorssuck says: Oct 15, 2012 10:38 PM

“It’s my experience that guys who are miserable dicks don’t change after having a baby …. they just raise ANOTHER miserable dick.”

Just because you have first-hand knowledge doesn’t make it true for everyone…And quit blaming your dad for your own shortcomings.

Go Bears!

42. larryboodry says: Oct 16, 2012 7:47 AM

tokyosandpounder says:

“Cutler is not a winner.

He’s had one winning season since pop-warner…”

Check your math…He was 10-5 in 2010, and 7-3 last year…The blame for the team finishing 8-8 rests squarely on the slumped shoulders of Caleb Hanie and Marion Barber.

Since starting off 5-9 his first season in Chi-town, Jay’s record (including playoffs) is 24-10.

In a game where ‘What have you done for me lately?’ is the mantra, Jay’s record in Pop Warner, or on bad Denver teams, means squat.

43. chi01town says: Oct 16, 2012 9:00 AM

Rookie QB’s do NOT beat the Chicago Bears ever.. the Bears show them right from the start that they are in over they head. Luck an the Colts pulled a COME FROM BEHIND WIN over Greenbay. Its these kind of games thats going to keep Greenbay out of the post season. Everybody except the Texans got the memo… the Packers are 1 demintional.. there is NO threat that they can run the football so press the WR’s at the line an go after Rodgers. keep him running an getting up off the turf an you will win

44. thetokyosandblaster says: Oct 16, 2012 9:48 AM

chi01town says:
    Oct 16, 2012 9:00 AM

I guess the bears haven’t gotten the memo in the last 5 years.

45. dukemarc says: Oct 16, 2012 10:30 AM

———————–

That’s because they were afraid you’d start crying, Jay.

46. dukemarc says: Oct 16, 2012 10:34 AM

chi01town says:
    Oct 16, 2012 9:00 AM
    ——————————

47. starchybunker says: Oct 16, 2012 10:38 AM

you can’t hold Jay’s losing record in college against him, he played for Vanderbilt…Vandy winning is the SEC is even harder than say, the Browns winning in the AFC North…

48. larryboodry says: Oct 16, 2012 11:55 AM

dukemarc says:

“demintional??? – wow, that’s some high quality ed-u-ma-ka -sun they’re passing out in Chicago.”

AND

“Keep on thinking that – of course, they already beat the crap out of your boys once this year so apparently the bears aren’t that smart either. ”

1.) Even with my Chicago ‘ed-u-ma-ka-sHun’ (note the correct phonetic spelling) I know that our NFL team is ‘the Bears’ with a capital ‘B.’ Guess y’all’s ed-u-ma-ka-shun ain’t no better than ourn, huh?

2.) Bears are smart enough to be 3-0 since GB beat us, 4-1 overall, and currently all alone atop the NFC North…And, come December, a chance for payback at Soldier Field.

49. chi01town says: Oct 16, 2012 12:27 PM

@duckmarc
    What are you a english teacher….. punk you know what Im saying. Greenbay won a game against the only team that didnt go after Rodgers an press the WR’s. The Rams is next so worry about going under 500 again an stop trying to compair that weak team to Chicago

50. mpac13 says: Oct 16, 2012 12:54 PM

Let’s remember how Jay Cutler ended up in Chicago. He had a meeting with Josh McDaniels, where McDaniels assured him he would not trade him and he would be the quarterback in 2009. Then the very next day McDaniels starts negoitiating with his ole buddy Bill Belichick for Matt Cassel, who was a hot QB after subbing for Tom Brady in 2008. When Cutler confronted McDaniels, he lied to Cutler’s face and denied his pursuit of Cassel. So what does Cutler do, he asks for a trade since he believed he couldn’t trust McDaniels. McDaniels didn’t want Cutler and traded him. Fast forward to a few years later, McDaniels was a joke as a coach and alienated his whole team and was fired after 2 years and Cutler is about to break every passing record in Bears history (not that great of an accomplishment). As a starter he was 7-9 in 2009, 10-5 in 2010 and led the Bears to the NFC title game, where he was playing poorly before the injury. He was 7-3 and the team was on a roll and even though we don’t know if they would beat the Giants in the first round, I guarantee they would have put up a better fight than the Falcons did as the 5 seed. He is now 4-1 this year and after having a terrible melt down in Green Bay, he has won 3 straight games. 28-18 as Bears starter so the uninformed that thinks he isn’t a winner is wrong. His solid QB play has helped keep his defense off the field and when they are on the field, the defense has been border-line dominant. Cutler is unfairly criticized for some of things that he has done. Have you ever been to an NFL game? Watch the screaming matches on the sidelines, I have seen Jim McMahon and Jim Harbaugh do and act way worse with their coaches during games than I have seen Cutler do, but because he is a tad immature.

51. dukemarc says: Oct 16, 2012 1:14 PM

chi01town says:
    Oct 16, 2012 12:27 PM
    @duckmarc

———————–
    7 sacks & four INTs had nothing to do with press coverage on the Packers WRs….”punk”.

larryboodry – Rodgers owns Soldier Field – prepare for another 2 TD loss.

52. tecmobowl34 says: Oct 16, 2012 3:02 PM

Seriously, some people on here really need to get a life, it’s football people, don’t get too carried away