Doctors tell Jahvid Best he’s still not ready to return

San Francisco 49ers v Detroit Lions Getty Images

A full year after his last concussion, Jahvid Best has been told it’s still not safe for him to return to the field.

Although Lions coach Jim Schwartz was coy today about whether Best would be ready to play again, Lions General Manager Martin Mayhew later released a statement saying that medical experts had told Best and the Lions that it is still not safe for him to play.

“After today’s consultation with medical experts, including representatives from our medical and training staffs, it has been determined that Jahvid will not be permitted to return to play at this time,” Mayhew said. “Throughout this entire process we always have placed the highest priority on what is best for Jahvid from a health and safety standpoint. While today’s decision is disappointing from a football perspective, we fully and entirely respect and support this recommendation. Jahvid will continue to work with our medical and training staffs with the hope that he ultimately will be cleared to return to the playing field.”

Although the statement expresses some optimism that Best will play again some day, at this point it has to be considered an uphill battle for Best ever to play football again. The 23-year-old Best, who suffered a very serious concussion in college and suffered two concussions last season, may have played his last football game.

Permalink 44 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Detroit Lions, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
44 Responses to “Doctors tell Jahvid Best he’s still not ready to return”
  1. linvillegorge says: Oct 15, 2012 6:19 PM

Like a fighter with a glass jaw. Sometimes once that first big concussion happens, a guy just never really recovers from it. As a Panthers fan, I saw it happen with Dan Morgan.

2. elmaxoh says: Oct 15, 2012 6:19 PM

I’m sorry Jahvid but you might want to do another job in your life right now …

3. iggles20 says: Oct 15, 2012 6:19 PM

He should retire. Just let this dream go and move on with a healthy life.

4. cwhat32 says: Oct 15, 2012 6:22 PM

Very sad news. A really fun player to watch, never caused negative headlines, Lions were 5-0 with him last year, they’re just not the same team without him.

5. egomaniac247 says: Oct 15, 2012 6:23 PM

I’m pulling for the guy, I really am. You never want to see someone not achieve their goals.

But with that said, even if the guy takes TWO full years off, is there anyone here who seriously doubts that the first straight-up hard hit he takes, he won’t be laying on the ground another concussion?

6. eastsideballa says: Oct 15, 2012 6:23 PM

Lions just lost their X-factor for good, very disappointed as a Lions but it’s time to hang it up for Best, and now I wish we would have drafted Le-Michael James. Also message to Lions coaching staff: Why is Logan still KR/PR?? Put Titus young back there!

7. 1uniquename says: Oct 15, 2012 6:23 PM

I picked him up for my fantasy team in case he could return however this isn’t fantasy it’s his entire future, he’s still a pup and it would be a travesty if they ever let this guy back on the field. It would be disgusting to watch him suffer another concussion, he’s a smart kid and will do just fine without football, good luck man.

8. jbl429 says: Oct 15, 2012 6:23 PM

It’s a shame, he was an electric player when healthy. If a year isn’t long enough to recover from a concussion, I think it’s probably safe to say he’s better off walking away.

9. jamezz23 says: Oct 15, 2012 6:28 PM

10. hyzers says: Oct 15, 2012 6:31 PM

You were a fun player to watch, Javhid. The Lions offense hasn’t been the same without you but I’d still rather see you succeed in other areas of life rather than coming back against the opinion of medical professionals.

11. mustbechris says: Oct 15, 2012 6:41 PM

This is why you don’t draft guys with medical histories in the 1st round. And that’s not a knock on Best at all because he’s unbelievably talented and by all accounts is a good guy. But with undersized guys who have had concussions like the one he did in college, it’s a question of “when” not “if”

12. graidernation says: Oct 15, 2012 6:45 PM

Makes you wonder if the other football players, after seeing this guy being sidelined for a year, just decide “screw it, I’ll hide my symptoms to keep playing”.

13. rodgers419 says: Oct 15, 2012 6:46 PM

Can he form sentences and tie his shoes? Every week people get knocked out in the NFL. How bad does his condition have to be that he’s not allowed to play 1 year later? Wow.

14. justincohn says: Oct 15, 2012 6:51 PM

Austin Collie should see all the aforementioned comments here.

15. chilomane says: Oct 15, 2012 6:51 PM

I feel for his situation, but if your that bad off hang it up more to life than football.

16. daaabears says: Oct 15, 2012 6:55 PM

Big time bummer. Maybe the Lions could give him an entry level coaching job? Best of luck, kid!

17. deadeye says: Oct 15, 2012 6:57 PM

“Let the kid play if he wants to in my opinion. He’s been symptom free for a long time. Let him do what he wants.”

=========================

The NFL cannot do that. They have hundreds of concussion lawsuits they have to fight. Raising the bar in favor of player safety is long over due. I feel bad for Best, but I would feel alot worse for him if he were to receive permanent brain damage from one concussion too many.

18. bobby2478 says: Oct 15, 2012 7:00 PM

I must say I’m pleasantly surprised by the majority of the posts being supportive of Jhavid and being more concerned about his health and well being rather then only looking at how he can help a football team.

Life is very short, and at the end of the day Jhavid still has a very long life ahead of him. It is sad he’s had to go through this, but if it is in the best interest of his future well being to not let him play football again, then while this dream was taken away from him he still can life a very long, healthy and happy life.

I’d hate to see him having serious health problems at the age of 35 or 40 just because he played football knowing the risks concussions present or for him to go down the road of so many former players who have died way too young.

So while I wish he was able to play again, I’d only wish this if he could do it safely and without jeapordizing his long term health and happiness.

He’s a human being, and he’s much more important then only as a good football player.

Hopefully the only things he reads and sees from fans are those of the positive nature: people saying they are behind him and want what’s best for him. Fans hope he is happy and successful as a person, regardless of whether or not he ever plays football again.

19. whitecastleisafoodgroup says: Oct 15, 2012 7:09 PM

It just doesn’t sound like he’s going to be able to get on the field again.

20. humboldt420 says: Oct 15, 2012 7:15 PM

I remembering covering the Salesian-Ferndale High playoff football game up here in Humboldt County and getting to see Jahvid Best run in the mud and slop.

He was a standout in high school for the Pride and knew he was going to be a big-time D-I prospect.

He moved on to Cal and took a scary hit as he dove into the end zone, went airborne, and landed on the back of his head-neck.

From that point on, I knew the supremely talented athlete I saw in high school would have a relatively short football career if he go drafted.

Concussions are no joke.

21. NakedCowboy! says: Oct 15, 2012 7:20 PM

everyone asking him to find another career…
    I think he still has 3 years left on his rookie deal… where else will he get paid that much…

Its really sad to see such a playmaker out of the game… I wouldn’t call it end of his career just yet…

22. detroit09 says: Oct 15, 2012 7:20 PM

I’m really curious why. He said himself he’s never felt better. What is the decision based on?

23. bennyb82 says: Oct 15, 2012 7:26 PM

The NFL will gladly pay the lions to pay his salary as long as the NFL can use him as an example of them protecting players from concussions.

24. tdrundmc says: Oct 15, 2012 7:29 PM

The guy is one hit away from being a vegetable. Good luck with your future Jahvid BEAST.

25. ernie ernie says: Oct 15, 2012 7:31 PM

I would not be surprised to see his contract bought out and his playing days go bye bye. This guy had concussion problems in college too. He is not even needed by the team now. They have backs.

26. ernie ernie says: Oct 15, 2012 7:34 PM

Sorry to say that I called him Javid Bust when the Lions drafted him. The sports analyst said the guy was injury prone in college and the reason he was availble to the Lions as a late pick, other teams said no thanks to that problem.

27. classactcalvin81 says: Oct 15, 2012 7:37 PM

This is VERY sad news in Lions Land and even though I saw it coming I was truly hoping that he would be cleared today..He was an electric player that only comes along once in a while and our offense seems lost without him..Hopefully after the Philly win we gain a little bit of momentum and finally just move on without Best until we hear otherwise!! Go D!!

28. almanak209 says: Oct 15, 2012 7:39 PM

Best is done. If he can’t come back now, I don’t see him being able to ever. A year removed, yet other players (Collie) keep playing ? I just wish the front office would stop being coy and just say he’s done. I knew they should have drafted LaMicheal James. Well there’s always Kenjon Barner to take Bests role next year, bc this offense will not be the same without him returning.

29. normdogg says: Oct 15, 2012 7:54 PM

I’m really interested in the process used to determine whether or not he’s able to play. This is an injury that is a year old, and its not like a knee or shoulder where you can see if there is something physically wrong. Everything I’ve heard so far has made it sound like he’s symptom free and better than ever. So how do you evaluate that and detrmine he’s not ready?

30. freebird2011 says: Oct 15, 2012 8:09 PM

Jahvid’s saying he never felt better…and the doctors want to keep it that way.

My bet: Best never steps on the field again in the NFL except as a returning Lions alumni.

31. effosugoblue says: Oct 15, 2012 8:09 PM

Just retire.

32. sportsrube90 says: Oct 15, 2012 8:22 PM

Feel bad for the guy but at this point I think the best thing is to hang it up. No need to try to go out there if it’s going to risk your longterm health. It’s not worth it man. You only 23 years old and you have your whole life ahead of you. Don’t screw it up just for a game. One more hit might just be serious enough to really mess you up for life.

33. sultan420 says: Oct 15, 2012 8:31 PM

Why do we protect grown men from themselves? It would be ridiculous if players won the concussion suit. It’s akin to a police officer suing the city because he got shot by a criminal.

34. latchbeam says: Oct 15, 2012 8:35 PM

Best of luck to you, Jahvid! No pun intended, I hear you are a class guy so I am pulling for you…

35. reasonableperson1 says: Oct 15, 2012 8:47 PM

Severe concussions such as this can take over a year to recover from, just ask Sidney Crosby. Doctors claim that if an athlete waits and is completely recovered from a severe concussion he does not have a higher propensity of suffering another concussion more than any other athlete. Best should continue to take his time, focus on the present and get better. Than once he is fully recovered come back to football or leave on his own terms.

36. aljack88 says: Oct 15, 2012 9:22 PM

“….you have your whole life ahead of you. Don’t screw it up just for a game. One more hit might just be serious enough to really mess you up for life….”

Seeing how other players are allowed to still play after several concussions, Best probably already has had that “one more hit”; and will likely have problems later in life because of it. No doctor or the NFL is going to say it’s ok for him to play again.

37. imjinbrdgr says: Oct 15, 2012 9:50 PM

deadeye says: Oct 15, 2012 6:57 PM

=========================

====================================
    A couple of very interesting points raised here. Best is an adult. Unlike the players that have filed the lawsuits, he is very aware of the dangers of his continuing to play. Shouldn’t he be allowed to take his own chances.
    Guys with bad backs continue to work construction and other jobs that aggravate their condition. Coal miners with bad lungs continue to go down in the mines because they have families to support.
    In 2 or 3 years Best can possibly make more money than those guys can make in a lifetime. If he signs a waiver releasing the league from responsibility who really has the right to tell him what he can or cannot do?

38. staffordsyear says: Oct 15, 2012 10:18 PM

Sucky..best of luck to you jahvid in whatever may come in your life,hopefully ya get back on the field someday.

Ps: i also would like to hear the details of these tests and have a more clear reason why he cant play.

39. bigboi30 says: Oct 15, 2012 11:34 PM

Best, as a football player that got his career shortened by an injury and carted off the field, i know the pain. Its pride and love for the game. Is your lifes work. The hard work, sweat, sacrifices that you made. I want you to be safe. I’m a life long Lions fan and loved to watch your commitment and the excitement you brought every time you touched the ball, do i back up your choice on your career. I understand the want too be able to walk away, to walk off the field that last time on your terms, not someone elses.
    GO LIONS

40. jimmylions says: Oct 16, 2012 12:12 AM

According to NFL.com, the rumor is the Lions have been keeping him around knowing full well he’ll never be cleared to take a snap. They’re keeping him until he can collect an NFL pension, and then cutting him loose.

41. aldavis4president says: Oct 16, 2012 12:43 AM

normdogg says: Oct 15, 2012 7:54 PM

does anyone know? This is a great question.

42. 4evrnyt says: Oct 16, 2012 1:07 AM

Soft, I mean how can you expect to play professional football if you cant take a hit without getting knocked out of the game. You can all come here and defend him cause you think he’s a great guy but the bottom line is….HE’S SOFT!!! Cant take a hit without getting hurt, period end of his story lets move on.

43. almanak209 says: Oct 16, 2012 4:57 AM

I forgot about Crosby’s concussion that took so long to recover from. What ever best does, may he succeed.

44. perennialallstar177 says: Oct 16, 2012 8:12 AM

What terrible news. Not even from a football standpoint, but for such a young man who worked so hard day in and day out. He committed his life to the Detroit Lions and made a huge difference for our beloved Lions. I wish him the best of luck in the future and support his decision 100%. I know how it feels to not be able to do what you love, but I can’t imagine how it feels to live your dream and then lose it at such a young age. It’s heart breaking for Jahvid the football player and for Jahvid as a human being. And everyone calling him soft should be ashamed, I would like to see any of you go out and play this game at this level. Comments like that come from COWARDS, plain and simple.