Packers lose D.J. Smith for season with knee injury

Green Bay Packers v Houston Texans Getty Images

It wasn’t quite to the Ravens level, but the Packers also had a tough loss to go along with an impressive win.

Packers coach Mike McCarthy just announced that starting inside linebacker D.J. Smith would miss the rest of the season with a knee injury suffered Sunday night in Houston.

Smith was hit from the side by Texans left tackle Duane Brown away from the play, and went down in a heap.

The Packers also lost backup running back Brandon Saine for the year, though outside linebacker Nick Perry’s knee injury was, in McCarthy’s words, “better than we thought it would be.”

Smith was replacing Desmond Bishop in the middle, after Bishop was lost for the year to a preseason hamstring injury. They have some in-house options, and Brad Jones finished the game last night.

Permalink 24 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Green Bay Packers, Home, Rumor Mill
24 Responses to “Packers lose D.J. Smith for season with knee injury”
  1. punkmonkeyfaces says: Oct 15, 2012 6:49 PM

They make them pretty soft up north eh?

2. punkmonkeyfaces says: Oct 15, 2012 6:51 PM

Some might say….soft as cheese…

3. countyk66ers says: Oct 15, 2012 6:52 PM

That would be after the play.

4. ufullpj says: Oct 15, 2012 6:55 PM

Just as I thought the hit on Cushing was bush, so was the hit on D.J. Smith.

5. ShimSham says: Oct 15, 2012 6:59 PM

Yeah, Texans fans can’t play the victim with Cushing being lost anymore. One of their own did the exact same thing to an opponent and caused him to suffer the same injury.

6. grabgrabgrab says: Oct 15, 2012 7:09 PM

Next man up! We’re running out of men… Ugh…

7. riverace19 says: Oct 15, 2012 7:55 PM

Another aspect to the Packers just like 2010.

8. dacharger1 says: Oct 15, 2012 8:11 PM

All I know is that it will help us in the AFC hunt…Go CHARGERS!! BOLTUP BABY!!

9. gnarlswoodson says: Oct 15, 2012 8:21 PM

Id rather lose DJ Smith than Brian Cushing. DJ Smith being out isnt gonna stop us from beating anyone. On the other hand now, Brian Cushing, yikes. Theres always next year Duane Brown.

10. tsi431 says: Oct 15, 2012 8:28 PM

Have no fear Charles Woodson is the Packers new OLB, and he played pretty well there last night.

11. binkystevens says: Oct 15, 2012 8:37 PM

I’ll take an angry, motivated and injured packer team over the fat and confident 15-2 team from last year. This is good – they’re actually fighting for something.

12. pilot2011 says: Oct 15, 2012 8:40 PM

not too bad for a 6th round pick that everybody thought was too small to play Linebacker in the NFL.

get well soon DJ, hope you come back better than ever

13. blackandbluedivision says: Oct 15, 2012 8:58 PM

Anybody notice with the emphasis on “player safety” (aka offensive player safety). That there are a lot of defensive players getting hurt. More so than usual.

14. axespray says: Oct 15, 2012 10:03 PM

if I’m gregg williams and I still wanna run a bounty system, I’d just start coaching on the offensive side of the ball..

your Wide receivers can get away with shoving guys like Sam Shields, your O-line is allowed to take shots at knee caps… there’s no penalty for late hits on Linebackers… smh.

15. whatjusthapped says: Oct 15, 2012 10:14 PM

This is where you can begin to see depth that Ted Thompson has built. Lose the starter, Desmond Bishop in the pre-season, stick in DJ Smith who has played reasonably well.

Lose DJ Smith, stick in a former starter Brad Jones who fell to third string but is hardly a scrub. If the Packers lose Jones thru some unbelievably bad luck, they still have a 5th round draft choice sitting on the bench.

16. jawface88 says: Oct 15, 2012 10:28 PM

Who let the haters in? But I guess 4 super bowls can make a person pretty jealous, eh? #GoPackGo

17. squared80 says: Oct 15, 2012 10:49 PM

I blame the refs for this injury.

18. mineallmine001 says: Oct 15, 2012 10:53 PM

shhhh

19. goodtunes82 says: Oct 16, 2012 12:00 AM

Feel bad for the kid. He is quick to the ball and was progressing nicely. Hope for a healthy return in 2013!

20. smstonerock says: Oct 16, 2012 12:58 AM

dacharger1 says:

“All I know is that it will help us in the AFC hunt…Go CHARGERS!! BOLTUP BABY!!”

That dude would be a charger fan.

I lived in San Diego for about 3 years and was open to adopting them as my second team. But then I realized that nobody really cares about them down there like most NFL towns.

21. youboettcha says: Oct 16, 2012 1:25 AM

I can’t believe there wasn’t one mention of the fact that Duane Brown lead with his head and hit DJ Smith in the head. He’s lucky he didn’t also get a concussion. I would expect Brown to get a fine for that play.

22. contrasuxbalz says: Oct 16, 2012 4:31 AM

Dude the blocking that the Texans employ is as bush league as it gets. I had no reason to hate them as they have never really done anything or amounted to a hill of beans. From here on out I will cheer every time a Texan goes down. I am glad Cushing’s ACL ripped. It really could not have happened to a better team’s steroid freak. I know it is not polite to root for injuries but the Texans got it coming. Like I was told growing up if someone has it coming then give it to them no matter who or what it is.

23. chi01town says: Oct 16, 2012 8:37 AM

The Packers beat the Texans BUT it was expensive because Dj wasnt the only player that got hurt in that game. the packers lost more. an if they cant continue to win these early games there wont be nothing to play for later but pride.

24. thetokyosandblaster says: Oct 16, 2012 5:05 PM

chi01town says:
    Oct 16, 2012 8:37 AM

Well, they could lose three more games and still win the north.

I mean, the Vikings and Bears aren’t as good as their records, and the Lions are the Lions.