Revis confident he’ll be dominant player again after ACL surgery

Jets' Revis is helped to his feet after injury in third quarter of play against Dolphins during NFL football game in Miami Reuters

Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis hasn’t talked since tearing his anterior cruciate ligament on Sept. 23.

But he hasn’t lost any confidence in that time.

Revis said Monday he was certain he’d be back to his old level after his surgery.

“I like that question… yes,” Revis said, via Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News. “If everything goes right and I do everything right with this procedure and this process for the next four to six months, yeah, . . .

I’m a confident player. I never had an injury like this. This is all new for me as well. But, yeah, I’m a hard worker. I know I’m going to work my butt off and get back to where I need to be.”

Of course, the bigger question, which he can’t answer with any certainty today, is how the injury will impact his quest for a new contract.

He has two years left on the front-loaded “Band-aid” contract, which are worth just $13.5 million combined. He thought about holding out this summer but didn’t, and now he knows he’ll have to prove himself well to get paid.

“Every year you got to come in here and prove yourself if it’s an injury or if it’s not,” Revis said. “But I’m sure it might raise people’s eyebrows [as far as how] I’m going to look when I come back. So, I’m okay with that. I wouldn’t expect anything less. I just know what I’m going to do. I know I work hard.

“I’ll just come back and treat it like any other offseason.”

Of course, given the up-and-down course of the contract history with Revis and the Jets, if it lacks drama, it will be unlike the rest of them.

Permalink 17 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, New York Jets, Rumor Mill
17 Responses to “Revis confident he’ll be dominant player again after ACL surgery”
  1. jimyritz says: Oct 15, 2012 12:12 PM

Maybe he’ll come back and hold out…

2. green41563 says: Oct 15, 2012 12:12 PM

He’ll be back.

3. rickeydynamite25 says: Oct 15, 2012 12:20 PM

Is that after this ACL tear or the ACL tear coming next year?

4. patriotinvasion says: Oct 15, 2012 12:31 PM

Patriots fan here who loves watching his team compete against Revis twice per year. Get well soon and open the Island back up next September.

5. spedman24 says: Oct 15, 2012 12:35 PM

Still the best CB in the nfl

6. cooklynn17 says: Oct 15, 2012 12:36 PM

Sure, if the refs continue to let you get away with murder.

BTW what do u expect him to say, he is looking for a new contract.

7. nflofficeadmin says: Oct 15, 2012 12:54 PM

It’s called age. He’s getting older. Everyone’s career has a peak. Maybe Revis has seen his…

8. FinFan68 says: Oct 15, 2012 1:05 PM

you dont need to be 100% to hold. he’ll be fine as long as he gets those non-calls

9. ademell1 says: Oct 15, 2012 1:18 PM

“I’ll just come back and treat it like any other offseason.”

Get ready to pay this guy more $ New York. Because you know he won’t shut up about it.

10. hehateme2 says: Oct 15, 2012 1:45 PM

Wouldn’t it be nice if we could all not hear his boasting until he is ready to play next season…. but then again, that’s not the jet way.

11. contrasuxbalz says: Oct 15, 2012 1:49 PM

This demonstrates Revis’s normalcy. Everyone was so quick to jump on his “island” he is nothing special. Four or five good years and that will be it. He is no Ed Reed, or Charles Woodson. Those guys have a combined 25 NFL seasons and are still crazy productive. Not to mention where are Revis’s turnovers. All this guy does is shut down second tier receivers. Premier receivers still beat him.

12. whatnojets says: Oct 15, 2012 1:50 PM

Not a doctor but understand that to repair an ACL you have to sue “other”muscle’s to repair it.
    It just can’t be fused together!

No doctor can predict if surgery will ne succesful

Only time will tell……

13. whatnojets says: Oct 15, 2012 1:51 PM

Correction!

Not a doctor but understand that to repair an ACL you have to use “other”muscle’s to repair it.
    It just can’t be fused together!

No doctor can predict if surgery will ne succesful

Only time will tell……

14. rickastleydancemoves says: Oct 15, 2012 1:54 PM

He’d better be so he can continue to make ridiculous money with a mediocre team instead of reasonable market value to play with a Superbowl contender.

15. jimjets says: Oct 15, 2012 1:56 PM

nice sentiment patriot vision. you’re a class act.

wish I could extend the same sportsmanship to your guys…

anyway, looking forward to an important match-up this weekend

16. dolphins512 says: Oct 15, 2012 2:10 PM

As a Phins fan….I cannot stand the Jets. Way too much talk and an arrogant coach. This is one of the few teams I will actually root against.

However, for those of you saying Revis is mediocre, you don’t know what you are talking about. This guy is one of the top two or three corners in the league.

I hope he is able to recover from this injury and return to his prior form. However, even at 90% of his pre-injury level, he would still be a very productive and elite corner.

17. beeronthefridge says: Oct 15, 2012 2:22 PM

The ACL injury will place Revis from the greatest cornerback in the history of the NFL to an overpaid average corner!