Rex Ryan: I want the Patriots to know I think we’ll beat them

Bill Belichick, Rex Ryan AP

The Jets are preparing to play the Patriots this week, and Rex Ryan is wasting no time in giving bulletin-board material to his AFC East rival.

“I want them to know — and they know that, I think — I think we’re going to beat them,” Ryan said on Monday. “I recognize that they’re a great football team and [Bill] Belichick’s a great coach. I’ve never once said that he wasn’t. But again, we’re not going to back down or concede anything.”

In the surprisingly competitive AFC East, where all four teams are 3-3, Ryan says he views playing the Patriots like a title fight.

“They’re going to get our best shot and we know we’re going to get theirs,” Ryan added. “It really doesn’t matter who says what. But we are going to be ourselves. We’re coming there to take our swing. We’ll see if we land that punch to win the game.”

Ryan said the Jets have built their team with the goal of matching up with the Patriots in mind. And he thinks that on Sunday, the way the Jets have built their team will pay off.

Permalink 104 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New England Patriots, New York Jets, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
104 Responses to “Rex Ryan: I want the Patriots to know I think we’ll beat them”
  1. RexCanCoach says: Oct 15, 2012 3:13 PM

Oh boy, here we go. Rex, couldn’t you at least have waited until Wednesday before opening up your yapper?

2. baloneyjohn says: Oct 15, 2012 3:13 PM

You are a big bag of wind. The Patriots will dismember you team of misfits.
    I am looking forward to the slaughter

3. prince5000 says: Oct 15, 2012 3:14 PM

i guess he woke after a great win, a great team performance and said “hey, where did the circus go? i know, i’ll have a press conference.”

4. brutus9448 says: Oct 15, 2012 3:14 PM

ryan is cruising for a bruising.

5. 7swag7 says: Oct 15, 2012 3:14 PM

Nobody pays attention to what you say anymore, Rex. It’s become a tired act, without the W’s to back it up.

6. flash1283 says: Oct 15, 2012 3:15 PM

At some point does even the most die hard Jets fan get tired of the talking?

There is nothing wrong with be confident, buy why give it to the media regardless of what they ask.
    Just deflect the question, why put extra pressure on your players?

7. benh999 says: Oct 15, 2012 3:15 PM

At first I misread that as him expecting to *eat* them…

8. picksix401 says: Oct 15, 2012 3:15 PM

swing and a miss…

9. gunndlewittlebaum says: Oct 15, 2012 3:17 PM

Rex Ryan: “I want those hamburgers to know that I’m going to eat them.”

10. peezwizz says: Oct 15, 2012 3:17 PM

hope brady gives fat rex another ball to bury

11. ek2213 says: Oct 15, 2012 3:17 PM

This moron just doesn’t get it…

12. bcfalcon says: Oct 15, 2012 3:18 PM

Great after one win the jets are unbeatable!

13. jae121704 says: Oct 15, 2012 3:19 PM

Because clearly what the Pats need is bulletin board material coming off a loss in Seattle. Rex, when will you learn…

14. truetrue85 says: Oct 15, 2012 3:19 PM

Jets beat a bad team and now they are calling their shot in Foxborough. I don’t think it’s a very wise decision to call them out after they just choked away sure victory in Seattle. I wonder if Rex has forgotten what happened last season when the Patriots were coming off 2 straight losses, fielding a practice squad defense and heading into New York with their backs against the wall.

15. rjg427 says: Oct 15, 2012 3:19 PM

tsk tsk..this blowhard never learns his lesson

16. denverscott says: Oct 15, 2012 3:19 PM

What a gas bag.

17. Davo says: Oct 15, 2012 3:19 PM

Yeah, but two of that team-they-built-to-beat-them are on IR.

18. cooklynn17 says: Oct 15, 2012 3:19 PM

Its offical, Rex Ryan is a complete idiot and a jerk.

I hope the Pats Kill em.

19. revisisland24 says: Oct 15, 2012 3:20 PM

Better bring your A-game Rex! The AFC East is wide open and a win on Sunday would be huge!

20. ampats says: Oct 15, 2012 3:21 PM

I have a feeling that the Patriots like their fans could care less regarding what Rex Ryan thinks.

Has anything he has ever predicted come true?

Rex Ryan,the Harold Camping of the NFL.

21. mjdkid100 says: Oct 15, 2012 3:21 PM

I would not want to play the Pats after losing the way they did this past weekend…

22. belichickrulz says: Oct 15, 2012 3:22 PM

As you can probably figure out, I’m no fan of the Jets or Ryan… but he wouldn’t be much of a head coach if he DIDN’T think his team could beat their opponent every week. Calling this “bulletin board material” is reaching.

23. annes22 says: Oct 15, 2012 3:22 PM

Here we go again with Rex mouthing off. Stupid because the Patriots won’t lie down for anyone.
    Tom Brady will give Sanchez a lesson in how to be a good QB, because he’s not very good. Hope the Jets forget their game against the 49ers.
    Well done Rex, just” get your foot out of your mouth”.

24. tlmoon2112 says: Oct 15, 2012 3:22 PM

This guy reminds me of Obama in so many ways. So much hype and no substance.

25. oxfordthecat says: Oct 15, 2012 3:24 PM

I want Rex to know that I don’t think he has a snowball’s chance in hell.

26. ljkljdsa324kdfalkefwjfdaslkjasdf says: Oct 15, 2012 3:24 PM

I love it, I love a coach who loves his team and believes in them. Wouldn’t have it any other way.

27. tlmoon2112 says: Oct 15, 2012 3:24 PM

Just add bulleting board material to “the recipe for getting your ass kicked” Rex.

28. tbd3 says: Oct 15, 2012 3:25 PM

As if that loss to Seattle wasn’t motivation enough…

29. green41563 says: Oct 15, 2012 3:26 PM

You are a big bag of wind. The Patriots will dismember your team of misfits, just as we did to the Cardinals and Seahawks. I am looking forward to the slaughter.

30. patriotinvasion says: Oct 15, 2012 3:27 PM

I love it. Jets vs Patriots is the one game the whole country actually roots for the Patriots.

This game won’t be close. Patriots 31-13.

31. juliusanonymous says: Oct 15, 2012 3:28 PM

I’m sick of Rex Ryan and can’t wait to watch the Patriots beat the Jets.

As a Seahawks fan, I got an up-close and personal view of the Patriots yesterday, and that team is the best team we’ve played all year by a really large margin. They are very very good, way better than their .500 record suggests. I can’t imagine why anybody would talk smack about the Pats, I think they’re going to win the AFC again this season. And I’m rooting for them too because that game yesterday was the best I’ve seen in a very long time.

Rex should learn from the Seahawks, and shut up with the smack-talk until after the game, IF you win. The Jets are gonna get SMACKED.

32. gisellichek says: Oct 15, 2012 3:28 PM

Yesterday was crushing… worst loss since the superbowl… and perhaps worse is the realization that we ain’t that good.

33. crappygovernment says: Oct 15, 2012 3:30 PM

I hope the blacklisting of Tebow for being an outspoken Christian ends this week!

34. whatnojets says: Oct 15, 2012 3:32 PM

That a boy, Rex! You tell them as you see it!

I want to say baby-face Brady on his butt all day long!

Go get ‘em, Rex!

35. hehateme2 says: Oct 15, 2012 3:32 PM

How can you believe you’ve built a team to “match up” with another (that scores a lot typically) when you haven’t got as QB?

Little Markie Sanchez may score at the prom but not much else happening there. Don’t like the Pats but they should destroy the hapless jests.

36. marima07 says: Oct 15, 2012 3:33 PM

Rexy’s Jets hit the Colts hard at home, catching them after an emotional win they had for Pagano as he endures his cancer treatments.

Emotional wins are usually only good for a week and the Jets got to pounce on a drained team.

The Pats will be at home and they usually win their must-wins, especially at Gillette. Bask in your 3-3 status while it lasts Rexy.

37. edelmanfanclub says: Oct 15, 2012 3:33 PM

He never does shut up does he?

38. AlanSaysYo says: Oct 15, 2012 3:36 PM

Fat man beats a bad team, his QB throws for 82 yards, and he calls out the Patriots.

The Patriots could literally score 50 against the Jets. At that rate, Sanchez will only need one touchdown every 12 yards to win.

39. tim1999 says: Oct 15, 2012 3:37 PM

Having Giant HC Tom Coughlin coaching in the same city makes Sexy Rexy and his Jet schtick look so bush league.

A very angry at themselves Patriot team is going to kill the Jets on Sunday.

40. rcampore says: Oct 15, 2012 3:38 PM

belichickrulz says: Oct 15, 2012 3:22 PM

___________________________________

While I agree it’s not bulletin board material per say. Rex can’t help himself but to make predictions and pump his flabby chest. How about be humble and say that it is going to be a hard fought game between two division rivals and we are going to do everything we can to win? I mean that is the way a coach should speak. But Rex is too cool for that.

41. amaf21 says: Oct 15, 2012 3:39 PM

will this guy ever learn?

42. husky2score says: Oct 15, 2012 3:40 PM

My gosh Rex just shut up now please! Your not going to the Super Bowl for the millionth frickin time!!

43. nyjets1017 says: Oct 15, 2012 3:41 PM

I don’t know what people want him to say, yea well I think we will bench our starters and not even try this week? Gimme a break

44. geniusfan says: Oct 15, 2012 3:41 PM

Of course Ryan thinks his team is going to win. Look I’m a Patriots fan and I have no problem with what he is saying he’s confident in his team. Personally I think the Patriots are going to come out very focused and very motivated and they will execute very well on Sunday. Not because they are playing the Jets but because they know they are better than what they have displayed thus far.

We’ll see what happens on Sunday. I can’t wait no fan base is worse to commiserate with than Patriots fans after they lose a game. All of a sudden the sky is falling Brady and Belichick stink and the Patriots are finished that’s the mentality of most Patriots fans right now.

And us Pats fans wonder why every other fan base hates us. We are all so spoiled that being 3-3 and tied for first in the division is looked at as a massive non-reversible failure. I’ve said it once and I’ll say it again once Brady and Belichick leave Patriots games will be close to being blacked out this fan-base is made up of a lot of band-wagoners.

I have faith in the Pats they will respond with a vintage performance this Sunday.

45. rcali says: Oct 15, 2012 3:42 PM

Apparently you people haven’t been watching. He’s not that fat anymore.

Pats 27 – Jets 16

46. anon5121 says: Oct 15, 2012 3:44 PM

Rex truly cannot help himself from motivating THE WRONG TEAM. Just. Wow.

47. camdenyard says: Oct 15, 2012 3:44 PM

Lucy is asking Charlie Brown to kick the football again.

48. rr2000k says: Oct 15, 2012 3:46 PM

And where are all of those SB rings Rex?

49. justintuckrule says: Oct 15, 2012 3:58 PM

Lets see. The Pats are coming off a stunning loss to the upstart Seahawks and the Jets are coming off a thrashing of an overachieving Colts team. Throw in Rex’s usual hollow barbs at NE and there is no spread big enough to keep me away from betting my house on the Pats at home this weekend.

50. shockgee says: Oct 15, 2012 4:00 PM

Rex, you beat the 2012 Colts. Not the Colts of the last decade. More than likely the Browns will beat the Colts. And furthermore, you’re going into Foxboro, after a 3 game homestead in MetLife, against a Patriots team that just got beat in the last seconds, in an extremely volatile environment that is Century Link Stadium. Brady and Bill will not take their foot off your turkey neck even if it’s 50-0 when the 4th quarter starts. You’re setting yourself up for failure and embarrassment. When will you learn? PS, that Tebow 4th down bull wont fool the Pats.

51. jagsfan1 says: Oct 15, 2012 4:04 PM

I am not a gambler – but I am now going to lay BIG $$ on The Patriots…

52. richardf954 says: Oct 15, 2012 4:07 PM

Yes , And coming from you Rex , I’m sure Bill and the Patriots are losing sleep over another one of your dumb worthless predictions. My goodness this guy has to be the undisputed Heavyweight champion of garbage . Here is my prediction Fatboy… Patriots will be up by 4 touchdowns by the half.

53. green41563 says: Oct 15, 2012 4:19 PM

hehateme2 says:
    Oct 15, 2012 3:32 PM
    __________________________________

Which superstar was at QB for the Cardinals and Seahawks?

54. footballchamp says: Oct 15, 2012 4:26 PM

The sad part is that even with Rex’s injured team, they will most likely beat the Pats as long as New England keeps putting that pathetic secondary on the field.

55. weepingjebus says: Oct 15, 2012 4:27 PM

As a Pats fan I admit to concern over the team, notably our god awful secondary. Still, we’ve lost 3 games by a combined 4 points, two of them on the road in tough venues. Honestly not sure why Rex thought it was a good idea to get the Pats fired up, but…thanks?

56. wikidpissah says: Oct 15, 2012 4:27 PM

belichickrulz says: Oct 15, 2012 3:22 PM

——————————————————
    Of course head coaches plan to win; the difference is that most don’t announce that they think they will win in a press conference. THAT is the bulletin board part.

57. blackstonevalleykettlebells says: Oct 15, 2012 4:33 PM

After the way the Patriots played yesterday and that hot garbage secondary of theirs. And the way Brady mismanaged the game, I don’t blame you for feeling confident.

58. all4patriots says: Oct 15, 2012 4:33 PM

A coach being confident, but keeping his mouth shut, is normal.

Blabbing about it to your opponent? It’s uniquely Rex Ryan.

The Patriots have been wasting scoring opportunities of late. It’s time to fix that and just pour it on.

59. ebr362 says: Oct 15, 2012 4:33 PM

Typical Jet behavior…..They beat a rebuilding Colts team and they are back to going to the Super Bowl……

60. 10millbill says: Oct 15, 2012 4:34 PM

this game should be put on comedy central

61. exibitsman says: Oct 15, 2012 4:40 PM

ground n pound is back. rex has his team playing the best they played all season.

62. malab377 says: Oct 15, 2012 4:40 PM

And here we go again… same story, again and again and again… only this time, the year is 2012.

63. Insomniac says: Oct 15, 2012 4:40 PM

Bold words. The Cardinals, Ravens and Seahawks have also beat them.

64. timmons94 says: Oct 15, 2012 4:41 PM

wow, does he ever shut up..
    Rex- u beat the Bills, Colts, and Dolphins…2 of those at home..
    hoody isn’t going to respond, cause he fears nothing about u , your foot fetish, your horrible starting qb and the jets in general…
    pats will sweep the jets…again

65. majbobby says: Oct 15, 2012 4:51 PM

Can someone actually please
    Take his knees out on the sideline. I will never wish INJ on a player but a blowhard HC is free game.

66. azarkhan says: Oct 15, 2012 4:53 PM

Instead of blaming the secondary, Pats fans should be blaming Belichick. By not kicking a field goal at the end of the first half, he lost the game. What in the hell was Belichick thinking?

67. conormacleod says: Oct 15, 2012 4:53 PM

Thanks Rex. Only you could say something so annoying and stupid that I would now root for the Patriots.

68. lrjets says: Oct 15, 2012 5:07 PM

Beginning as a Namth-era Jet fan, I’m pissed at Rex!
    The Pats won’t lose two in a row. What benefit is it to mouth off? It embarrasses me!
    It’s not the Jets that said the Pats will lose-it’s effin Rex.
    Rex did you get the report on Bilal Powell? Dislocated shoulder.
    Even if the Jets should win, he takes the fun out of it, because most Jets fans do not have the personality of Rex. I can thinkl of just two. Their last names are also Ryan.

69. rdrs68 says: Oct 15, 2012 5:12 PM

What is the name of the disease that the Ryans are afflicted with?

70. ohnothatguy says: Oct 15, 2012 5:13 PM

Anyone see bill going up big at half and not letting his foot off the gas?!?!

71. harry1941 says: Oct 15, 2012 5:14 PM

The Patriots have no defense. Look how many points it gave up to the Sea Hawls. Your wide receiver Walker will be disable when the Jets defense get finished with him. As for David Woodhead, the Jet’s defense will put a stop to him.

J-E-T-S Jets Jets Jets

72. essentialsausage says: Oct 15, 2012 5:17 PM

Patriots, the football team? I don’t think so, Rex.

73. dellis07 says: Oct 15, 2012 5:20 PM

Here we go again Rexy. This guy just can’t keep his mouth shut.

74. grabgrabgrab says: Oct 15, 2012 5:29 PM

These aren’t the Pats of 7 years ago. Very beatable.

Rex is probably right. Jets will win.

75. sultan420 says: Oct 15, 2012 5:32 PM

I hate the Jets. I hate the Pats. I see no problem with this…in fact, it should be expected. And Rex does have a decent track record against the Pats to back this up. I hope the Jets bury the Patsies

76. patsfiend says: Oct 15, 2012 5:33 PM

harry1941 says:
    Oct 15, 2012 5:14 PM

J-E-T-S Jets Jets Jets
    ———–

If this is a Pats fan writing a “typical Jets fan” post, then… touche! Nicely done.

If this is an actual Jets fan, well… I don’t know what to say. Good luck stopping David Woodhead and Wes Walker on Sunday!

77. allseeingone says: Oct 15, 2012 5:33 PM

Never before has a coach with so little to brag about spent so much time bragging. I hate the Patriots, but it would be very sweet to watch them put up 60 points against the NY Paper Airplanes.

78. ampats says: Oct 15, 2012 5:35 PM

harry1941,

who is Walker and David Woodhead ? Always good to hear from a knowledgible jets fan!

79. hawkforlife says: Oct 15, 2012 5:47 PM

Uh.. Rex. You home? Nope nothing up there.

80. hawkforlife says: Oct 15, 2012 5:52 PM

Oh patsfiend, When you say this: Your wide receiver Walker will be disable when the Jets defense get finished with him.

I assume you mean Welker not Walker and disabled not disable.

Did you not see the hits Welker took yesterday and kept getting up. I root for the Hawks of course but that patriot team has a bunch of tough, great football players and if I were Sanchez / Tebow I’d be very worried about one Vince Wilfork. he’s going to be pissed.

81. akiraloco says: Oct 15, 2012 6:04 PM

ootballchamp says:
    Oct 15, 2012 4:26 PM

Ohh you mean the same secondary that kicked the Jet’s Ass last year..twice! ok thanx for the advice. go get them BB lol

82. drednot says: Oct 15, 2012 6:35 PM

83. cmb79 says: Oct 15, 2012 6:38 PM

This man just can’t help himself in writing the checks that his team likely won’t be able to cash.

84. chilomane says: Oct 15, 2012 6:47 PM

Just shut up already!

85. bradygirl12 says: Oct 15, 2012 6:55 PM

Get ready for a major beat-down on Sunday,Jets.

86. hor2012 says: Oct 15, 2012 6:55 PM

Rex would you please shut up. You beat a colts team that really just learning. In the mean time the last time you met a team that would qualify as being legitimate you were beaten badly. Just for once keep you mouth shut and let your team play. You haven’t heard the right to talk about what you’re going to do. That right belongs to the Giants

87. jayquintana says: Oct 15, 2012 6:58 PM

Hasn’t Rex realized by now that, if he HAS to flap his gums, do it AFTER he has won? Not before an imaginary win!

88. gln0238 says: Oct 15, 2012 6:58 PM

Gee Rex thanks for clearing that up. if you hadn’t we would have expected that you were going to just have your guys kneel at the snap and just let them score. . . . . Now that we know you are not going to roll over we will expect a field goal from your team.

89. kev86 says: Oct 15, 2012 7:06 PM

Sorry about this Patriot fans. Our little brothers like to learn the hard way. They have some mouth.

Sorry again.

See you in Feb.,
    Big Blue

90. daubs17 says: Oct 15, 2012 7:08 PM

Good God!!! Does this guy ever learn?? I feel like its the same line out of his fat mouth repeatedly when they are playing big time opponents.

Dude, what until after the game to offer up bulletin board material!! OMG Shut up already

91. purplengold says: Oct 15, 2012 7:35 PM

crappygovernment says:
    Oct 15, 2012 3:30 PM

————————————-

I hope the evil in this world caused by mixing religion and government ends this week.

92. kenny1157 says: Oct 15, 2012 7:53 PM

I’m a life long Dolphins fan and I hate the Jets and love hating Rex Ryan, but I hope he stays around for ever. Great entertainment. If he was our coach I’d probably love him.

93. njfinfan1 says: Oct 15, 2012 8:00 PM

His act is wearing thin quickly, but he has to keep his mouth going because in 10 more weeks he won’t be aNFL coach anymore.. High school coaches don’t talk trash.

94. afc22 says: Oct 15, 2012 8:08 PM

wrong. he’s a good coach, he just doesn’t know when to shut up.

at least he isn’t full of it like Belichick

95. bluereign says: Oct 15, 2012 8:12 PM

Anything to steal the backpages from the Giants.

96. hippiedriver2 says: Oct 15, 2012 8:38 PM

Rex Ryan should just keep his mouth shut when he realizes that that is the Jets biggest problem they’ll be coming much better football team

97. dolphins512 says: Oct 15, 2012 8:40 PM

“The Jets are 3-3 should be 4-2, but didn’t use their “Wildcat” package cause they didn’t want to reveal it before this game. Now we’ll see the Tebow package at full force. If i’m smart enough to figure this out, so’s BB. I hope NE is ready for it!”

Wrong! They should be 2 – 4 as my Phins handed them a victory where we dominated them almost the whole game and missed field goals in both regulation and OT doomed us.

But that being said…..why does this guys have to keep opening his mouth? I hope the Pats lay 50 on him and run for 200 yards.

98. damnyankee13 says: Oct 15, 2012 9:08 PM

every coach has to think his team will beat the next one they play or its a senseless game., but that dont mean he has to say it to the media, ok , slow news day and the media ran with it. but, i do think they have a chance being that the patsies cant cheat as they got caught.
    i give big mouth and the jets a chance

99. tincansailor981 says: Oct 15, 2012 9:10 PM

He’ll never learn. I hate the Patriots, but I dislike big mouthed Rex Ryan even less. I hope the Brady bunch hangs 60 on the blow hard and his crew.

100. 2ndaryinsanity says: Oct 15, 2012 9:22 PM

I’d really like it if fans would STOP saying “my team should be 4-1 instead of 1-4″ bullcrap! Your team’s record is based on ACTUAL games won and lost. Their record is NOT based on imaginary “if only ___ had happened”
    The Jets beat the Colts and their rookie QB, yet Rex pretends like all his team’s problems are gone.
    Pssst…Rex. Guess what? The Patriots have this QB named Tom Brady…I hear he’s pretty good. Not sure if you’ve noticed, but now the Patriots have a legit run game to go along with Welker, Gronk, Hernandez, etc. The Pat’s defense only needs to be average…Sanchez will take care of the rest.
    I don’t like the Patriots, but I HATE the Jets.

101. zer0s1gnal says: Oct 15, 2012 10:29 PM

Patriots still think Rex is fat.

102. pftcensorssuck says: Oct 15, 2012 10:51 PM

afc22 says:Oct 15, 2012 8:08 PM

wrong. he’s a good coach, he just doesn’t know when to shut up.

at least he isn’t full of it like Belichick
    ———————————————————-
    You mean the “won 3 Super Bowls and been to 5 Super Bowls in 10 years” Bill Belichick…….

THAT Bill Belichick?

Tell me again what Rex Ryan has done?????

103. fdugrad says: Oct 15, 2012 11:19 PM

JEEZ! How can the head of a professional football team have absolutely NO filter between his thoughts and his blurt-outs?!! He is TOTALLY devoid of the tiniest modicum of impulse control. If it pops into his head, it jumps out of his mouth…Good Lord!

104. richwizl says: Oct 20, 2012 8:22 PM

Rex is a PR guy, a self-promoter, like OchoCinco. He’ll get noticed, but this approach seldom is successful in the long run. I’m expecting an inspired performance from The Jets and a close game which, I hope, The Pats will take.