Dez Bryant admits he should have caught two-point conversion pass

Dez Bryant, Chykie Brown AP

Before the Cowboys bungled clock management before missing what would have been a game-winning field goal, they had a chance to tie the game on a two-point conversion.

Tony Romo delivered a pass right to Dez Bryant, but Bryant couldn’t catch it and the Cowboys had to recover an onside kick to get that shot at a 51-yard kick. After the play, Bryant pleaded with officials for a flag and kept banging the drum that Ravens corner Cary Williams should have been flagged for pass interference after the game. Bryant watched film of the play on Monday and it left him with a different impression.

“Looking back on it, that’s a play I should make,” Bryant said, via Tim McMahon of ESPNDallas.com.

Bryant’s call for a flag led Williams to say that the wide receiver needs to “step up and be a man” and “give credit where credit is due.” Bryant, who had 13 catches and two touchdowns on Sunday, did give credit (well, blame) to the right person when he said he should have made the play but took a moment to respond directly to Williams as well.

“I wouldn’t be speaking so highly the way he’s speaking,” Bryant said. “I guess he forgot about the rest of the game. But, you know, they won. When you win, you get respect. They’ve got my respect.”

The Cowboys will need to get the Panthers’ respect this weekend to keep in contact with the leaders in the NFC East. It will help if Bryant can hold onto the ball.

Permalink 16 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Baltimore Ravens, Dallas Cowboys, Home, Rumor Mill
16 Responses to “Dez Bryant admits he should have caught two-point conversion pass”
  1. baloneyjohn says: Oct 16, 2012 10:24 AM

Lots of catches you should have caught, skippy

2. 5xchamp says: Oct 16, 2012 10:38 AM

dude lit it up and the media still wants to pile on …. find another story , you beat this one to death
    also hard to play against the officials too …plz !

3. ravenscrap says: Oct 16, 2012 10:52 AM

Typical game for the Ravens – without the refs assisting they would never win a game…..

4. cowboys5x says: Oct 16, 2012 10:57 AM

Dez and the cowboys will rebound we always start good and die down not this time we will be on a tear its still early. We will be on top. Haters your all welcome

5. ripster65 says: Oct 16, 2012 11:07 AM

“Dez had a monster game , what more you want him to do ? kick the ball too …. get off his di#k ..”
    ——
    How ’bout catch the damn ball when it’s flying through your hands or bouncing off your chest. It’s the easy balls he missed that hurt so much. How ’bout DON’T catch the ball when time is running out and you’re only going to gain 1yd anyway.

6. pooflingingmonkey says: Oct 16, 2012 11:08 AM

I cannot tell you how sick I am of WRs looking for a flag after every pass they miss.

7. tmac4454 says: Oct 16, 2012 11:29 AM

Droppy Bryant, you need to change the number on your jersey. You clearly do not belong with D Pearson & Michael Irvin. I watched you the whole game and all you did was whine to the ref’s instead of being a beast like Andre Johnson.
    I saw a member on the staff cuddle you like it was ok to drop those balls and not get back to the huddle while complaining to the ref’s.
    You are nothing like the receivers that I have much respect for (J Rice, C Carter, R Moss, M Irvin, Art Monk etc.) Young man you need to motivate yourself and work on your craft. I really do not know why I am even dropping a few lines toward you. I really do not care for you nor those Cowgirls.

8. turtlehut says: Oct 16, 2012 11:33 AM

After talking to the Cowboy’s PR folks and his personal handlers, Dez says “Looking back on it, that’s a play I should make”

9. joetoronto says: Oct 16, 2012 12:20 PM

5xchamp says:
    Oct 16, 2012 10:38 AM
    also hard to play against the officials too …plz !
    ***************************************************
    Whatever you say, Dez.

Hey, instead of practicing, why don’t you get some more bling?

10. uvmcatamounts says: Oct 16, 2012 2:06 PM

As a Ravens fan, I must admit I laughed out loud when I read that Dez said: “he must have forgot about the rest of the game.” Dez schooled Cary Williams and Cary was lucky that Dez happened to drop that 2 point conversion.

11. skins0ntop says: Oct 16, 2012 2:48 PM

What he should have said was ” I should have threatened my mother with something other than death”

12. materialman80 says: Oct 16, 2012 4:29 PM

Dez is like Jerry Jones, Romo, and the rest of the Cowboys. They live in a fantasy land thinking they are “America’s Team” and great when in reality they are very, very average at best.

13. NakedCowboy! says: Oct 16, 2012 7:24 PM

stop piling on dez… he made a mistake… big deal… he also kept them in the game… you have to take the good with the bad with him… ist best to keep thinsg simple with him and cowboys play calling has been very complicated this year…

14. larrydavid7000 says: Oct 16, 2012 11:25 PM

you think so.o well it’s a cowboy good job keep up the good work.

15. jsrdc says: Oct 17, 2012 1:55 AM

@nakedcowboy!

I, too, am a Cowboys fan. OF COURSE he should have made that catch. The big deal is he makes that catch, and you then have a better chance to win the game rather than having to recover an onside kick (well below a 50/50 proposition like the coin flip for the first possession in OT) and kicking a 51 yard field game winning field goal on the road.

Having said that, Dez did help to keep them in the game, but so did Bailey – my point being he isn’t the only one player out there playing. Dez must step up and be the COMPLETE receiver the Cowboys need, not the spectacular-at-times receiver who, in addition to his nice catches, he drops balls and runs improper routes. I will give a nod to his positives as well on here, not just the negatives. As much as he has the physical gifts and ability to take over at times, he still very much needs to be more of a complete receiver.

Complicated or not, the playbook has to be learned. Having said that, you shouldn’t have to teach one Dez Bryant how to catch the ball when it counts, especially when it hits you in the chest. Since this isn’t his first example of mental lapses in games, I take the drop as a bad. The good you are talking about with him just hasn’t been enough for mep expecting and hoping he continues to develop into more of an elite status.
    When Dez has games where he is completely dominating week in and week out, then he gets a pass for dropping a game tying pass.

16. bigjdve says: Oct 17, 2012 6:26 AM

Yes he should’ve caught the pass, period. He wants to be and often says that he is an elite receiver, if so he must make those easy catches. I am sorry, any catch that hits a receiver in both of his hands is easy at the pro level.

That being stated, these comments are the closest thing to adult comments that I can remember him making. That is a compliment.

He has had alot of problems, I am sure that he will still have some more, BUT there has been alot of talking about him needing to grow up. Hopefully he can use this as a starting point and move forward.

I would love for there to be a good story about how a pro athlete actually gets better, even if he is a cowboy.