Haslam: Shurmur needs to show “a positive direction” to keep his job

Pat Shurmur, Jimmy Haslam III AP

New Browns owner Jimmy Haslam says that in order for coach Pat Shurmur and his staff to keep their jobs, they’ll have to show that they have the team on an upward trajectory.

Asked at his introductory press conference what he wants to see from the coaches over the final 10 games of the season, Haslam said he wouldn’t specify a record that the team needs, but he would say the team needs to be demonstrating improvement.

“I don’t know that — I would never stand up here and say we have to have x amount of wins, or whatever,” Haslam said. “I think you want to see a positive direction.”

Haslam sounded like a man who has a firm grasp on the Browns’ roster and an understanding of the challenges the team has faced. He noted that the defense looked a lot better on Sunday with the return of cornerback Joe Haden, who was suspended for the previous four weeks.

“It’s been a tough year for our coaching staff and our players because, I mean, let’s face it — arguably our best defensive player, one of our best players, missed four games,” Haslam said. “If Joe had played all four of those games, would we have won a couple more? It’s purely speculative, I don’t know, but it’s a young team — I think we’re the youngest or second youngest team. I think you want to see improvement, continued improvement, and you want to see them play hard. And if you’ve seen our team, we’ve played hard every game.”

Haslam said any decision on the coaching staff will come only after the regular season has ended.

“I told Pat that. I said, ‘No decisions have been made.’ I’m very comfortable telling him that,” Haslam said. “Pat and I have a good relationship. He knows what he has to do.”

And what he has to do is show that the Browns are improving.

Permalink 24 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cleveland Browns, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
24 Responses to “Haslam: Shurmur needs to show “a positive direction” to keep his job”
  1. Mr. Wright 212 says: Oct 16, 2012 2:14 PM

What? Their trying hard every game isn’t enough? After winning Sunday, he says this?

You know this is just a classic case of a guy wanting to bring in his own guys, and looking for the slightest excuse to make that move.

2. steelbydesign says: Oct 16, 2012 2:14 PM

The Browns are bad, but they’re playing hard and aren’t getting blown out.

I still think it’s really unfortunate that they selected Weeden in the first round. He’s just never going to be a franchise QB.

If I was a Browns fan I would’ve rather seen them take Alshon Jeffrey, Donte Hightower, Whitney Merciless, etc. or trade it for picks and give Colt one more year.

If he failed then they could be doing whatever they needed to in order to get Barkley or Geno Smith this year and be WAY better off in the long run.

3. willjasper says: Oct 16, 2012 2:19 PM

Isn’t this the same trap Holmgren fell into by keeping Mangini around an extra year because he showed “progress”. I think they are going to replace Shurmer short of making the playoffs and that the decision has already been made.

4. bonoizm says: Oct 16, 2012 2:22 PM

Welcome to the NFL Jerry Jones Jr.!!!

5. audient says: Oct 16, 2012 2:26 PM

What else is he going to say, really?

“Pat’s just keeping the seat warm, doesn’t matter what he does, or what the team’s record is, he’s out at the end of the season.”

What would be the point of saying that?

You can’t undercut the coach, and then expect the team to perform for him.

And maybe Haslam can be convinced to keep Shurmer.

Holmgren out was easy — Lerner brought in Holmgren to act in his place. Lerner is gone, so Holmgren is out.

6. audient says: Oct 16, 2012 2:27 PM

willjasper says:
    Oct 16, 2012 2:19 PM

No. Not unless Haslam keeps Shurmer another season after this one, and THEN fires him.

7. therevdewitt says: Oct 16, 2012 2:31 PM

Way too often as a Browns fan I’ve seen things get ripped apart only to start building from scratch. For once I’d like to build on top of something. So I’m rooting hard for all these guys to succeed for the rest of the season. Go Browns.

8. couldntthinkofaname says: Oct 16, 2012 2:45 PM

steelbydesign says: Oct 16, 2012 2:14 PM

The Browns are bad, but they’re playing hard and aren’t getting blown out.

______________

Steel, these are people running around calling Weeden’s 231 yard game on Sunday, “epic”, and left CBS talking about the Super Bowl.

It’s….just who they are. Don’t try and talk sense to them. You’d have better luck teaching a bear to…..do a crossword puzzle.

9. ghostofgilchrist says: Oct 16, 2012 2:47 PM

As a Bills fan, I wish nothing but success for the Browns.
    Must be something in the Lake Erie water that kills the brain cells responsible for personnel evaluation.

10. wjmoffatt says: Oct 16, 2012 2:47 PM

Bring me in to be GM!
    first pick in the draft, trade out a couple picks get the Rams deal and select Jarvis James! Round two rolls around get Eric Reid and Barrett Jones.

11. wjmoffatt says: Oct 16, 2012 2:50 PM

^3rd round
    Stanfords Chase Thomas to play the other OLB.

12. clownsfan says: Oct 16, 2012 2:53 PM

I don’t mind starting over again because somebody other than Randy Lerner is calling the shots. Now CLEAN HOUSE. Take that stupid A.L. off the sleeve & flush the remnants of Randy Learner’s Cleveland Browns down the toilet. Hire a HC with actual HC experience. No more of the OC/DC 1st time HC garbage. Get your guys in here & leave them alone. That’s all I want.

GO BROWNS

13. klumpofbrownsadness says: Oct 16, 2012 3:03 PM

So many folks want to read something into this other than just what the man said. If the team is going in the right direction, it will be obvious to one & all (except for the haters that still live in mommy’s basement & hate everything about life). Haslam is smart enough to know if it’s working, you don’t change for the sake of making a change, and he knows what the longer term consequences are if this bunch of youngsters gels – a decade or more of contending.

14. realdealsteel says: Oct 16, 2012 3:26 PM

I think the Browns look more competitive this season then they have in a long time. Holmgren didn’t do a terrible job. But when you can’t get that franchise QB, it is what it is.

If they could have gotten RGIII…..

15. jetgreeeen says: Oct 16, 2012 3:40 PM

This guy will never be the coach next year.

16. johnnyhambone says: Oct 16, 2012 3:49 PM

marty schottenheimer would bring back the ‘gleam’ to cleveland. time to introduce marty as coach of the browns once again.

17. jacunn2000 says: Oct 16, 2012 4:31 PM

What did Cleveland pay Holmgren for? What exactly has the big guy done??

18. borisbulldog says: Oct 16, 2012 4:33 PM

steelbydesign?

How bad will you say the Browns are when they take 2 wins this year from Big Jen and the sqeelers?

19. wryly1 says: Oct 16, 2012 4:35 PM

steelbydesign

FYI – Weeden has more completions – for more yards – and more TD’s – than either Andrew Luck or RGIII – and he’s doing it on the youngest, least experienced roster in the league – with marginal receivers.

20. burnzy32 says: Oct 16, 2012 4:46 PM

They still got a team in Cleveland???

21. davekezer says: Oct 16, 2012 4:59 PM

wryly1-

He also has 10 interceptions, 55% completions, and a rating of 68.1. When you’re playing from behind every game, you throw the ball a lot.

22. ballboy48 says: Oct 16, 2012 6:16 PM

Dave,

You must not have watched any of the games this year. I don’t think the Browns are that far off. They’ve been in every game, and have been more enjoyable to watch, regardless of their 1-5 record.

Weeden just needs to learn to throw the ball away, rather than force throws that he was able to make in college. The NFL passing window is much smaller. The wr’s need to catch the ball as well.

23. hor2012 says: Oct 16, 2012 7:10 PM

I’m a Saints fan. But, I’ve got to be honest. The Browns aren’t that far away. I watched them against the Ravens and the handled Cincy. This isn’t a team that needs to start over. If I’m a Browns fan I’m wishing that the team stays the course with the coach that have now. I remember the year before the Saints one the Super Bowl and this team looks better than that Saints team did on defense. You have a good RB and you QB looks like he’s going to be decent. You’re in a division where the power teams or getting older. The Browns have a chance to be good for a very long time

24. screbels89 says: Oct 16, 2012 8:47 PM

This guy needs to just stop conducting business in the media. What good does this do?