Skip to content

Schiano says Talib will be back; actually says “trust us”

Greg Schiano, Romeo Crennel AP

The Buccaneers have given less leash to players with character questions under first-year coach Greg Schiano.

But he said Monday that cornerback Aqib Talib would be welcomed back after his latest misstep, and he sounded like a used car salesman when he said it.

Talib was suspended four games for testing positive for Adderall, which falls under the performance-enhancing drugs policy. He’ll be eligible to return for the Bucs’ Nov. 11 game against the Chargers.

“He’s going to be back with us,” Schiano said, via Ira Kaufman of the Tampa Tribune. “There’s no absolutes in anything in this world – I may not be here when he comes back – but that’s the plan. I can’t tell you exactly how things are going to be a month from now. The plan is to have him back here.”

That means Talib is getting a chance, while Kellen Winslow, Tanard Jackson and Brian Price were sent packing for various reasons.

Talib was charged with battery in 2010 after police said he punched a cab driver, but after reaching a civil settlement (translated: hush money), he was suspended one game for violating the conduct policy.

Then in 2011, he was charged with aggravated assault with a deadly weapon after police in Texas said he fired a gun and pistol whipped his sister’s boyfriend, though that charge was later dropped.

But Schiano was resolute when asked how he could reconcile giving Talib chances others weren’t getting.

“Every decision that we make as an organization has one thing in mind, and that’s what’s best for the organization,” said Schiano. “When I say best, it’s not just winning. Yes, that’s what you do in this league. There are 32 teams and we’re all chasing one prize.

“But when you’re part of a community, there’s a lot of things that go into a decision. I can just tell our fans and all the people that care about this that we are going to do what’s best for the organization, so you’ve got to just trust us on this one.”

Yes, he played the “trust us” card, on behalf of a repeat offender.

If you’re a skeptic, it’s easy to suspect that Talib’s continued employment is directly related to his ability to help Schiano continue to be employed, to a greater degree than the others were.

But since Schiano said we should trust him, that’s obviously not the case.

Permalink 6 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
6 Responses to “Schiano says Talib will be back; actually says “trust us””
  1. professorcolumbus says: Oct 16, 2012 9:34 AM

    Yeah, because it is too crazy a notion to think they are saying he will be back in the hopes of getting a conditional 7th rounder or something, instead of saying “we’re cutting him right now.”

    That would be ludicrous to even theorize that they are considering anything other than giving Talib all the chances in the world. Don’t even presume to bring up the idea that they might be talking to any and every team right now to see if someone (cough, cough, Jets) would give up anything to rent a sold CB for half a season.

  2. footballfan292 says: Oct 16, 2012 10:00 AM

    He’s in the last year of his contract. There is no point in cutting him. Just let him finish out the year and part ways at the end of the season.

  3. shian11 says: Oct 16, 2012 10:51 AM

    The venom in Tampa on this to me odd. Taleb didn’t go shooting or beating someone up, or even resort to doing actual drugs. Instead, he took something that the nfl deemed would improve his performance. Taleb actually wanted to plAy better and improve the team. Although not a great idea in retrospect, bill belichick was not run out of town for the same thing. Taleb will lose 4 game checks and millions of dollars in free agency. What he should be concerned about is the Bucs corners stepping up in his place! Regardless of what people say, taleb has struggled in the new man to man scheme (see hakeem nicks). Bucs currently have just as many wins with him as without him

  4. joetoronto says: Oct 16, 2012 10:52 AM

    I have to disagree, a turd like this needs to be let go asap, if not sooner.

    Hell, he should have been let go a long time ago.

  5. dasboat says: Oct 16, 2012 10:58 AM

    Schiano has a 5-year deal and is bulletproof for the next 2-3 years. He can say “trust me.” Mark Dominik, on the other hand, is the one who will catch the bullets from past personnel decisions. Talib’s career with the Bucs is either over, or will be after his contract expires after this seasons.

  6. snookau says: Oct 16, 2012 1:51 PM

    “If you’re a skeptic, it’s easy to suspect that Talib’s continued employment is directly related to his ability to help Schiano continue to be employed, to a greater degree than the others were.”

    Huh? Have you seen Talib play? He’s nothing special and he’s surely not keeping anyone employed. Their D did just fine without him last Sunday. And in case you didn’t notice, that D is rated near the bottom of the league in pass defense.

    This is lip service so they can shop Talib. The Redskins and their moron DB coach will give up something of value for him.

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to leave a comment. Not a member? Register now!