Super Bowl IX rematch is coming to London

Getty Images

As expected, the Vikings will play one of their 2013 home games in London.  They’ll be hosting the team to which they once lost a Super Bowl.

A full 39 years after the Steelers beat the Vikings, 16-6, at Tulane Stadium in New Orleans, the two teams will get together at Wembley Stadium in London.  The regular-season contest, announced by the league on Tuesday, will be played on September 29, 2013.

“This is a unique opportunity for the Vikings organization to highlight our brand on an international level,” said Vikings Owner/President Mark Wilf.  “Playing in London provides exceptional exposure to the team, as well as Minnesota’s impressive business community and tourism industry.  We are honored to represent the NFL on a global level, and we look forward to playing in front of our international fan base.”

The Vikings are an obvious candidate to sacrifice home games to London over the next few years, given that the Vikings will be playing at TCF Bank Stadium on the campus of the University of Minnesota while the team’s new venue is being constructed.

There had been speculation that the Steelers would be involved in a game played in Dublin, given that Steelers chairman Dan Rooney has served as the U.S. ambassador to Ireland.  Apparently, the NFL couldn’t work out those arrangements.

The teams have played 10 times since their date in the Super Bowl, with each team winning five games.  The Vikings last beat the Steelers in 1995, 44-24, at Three Rivers Stadium.

54 responses to “Super Bowl IX rematch is coming to London

1. Stupid london. Stop playing there. We are the fans here in America you morons. Stop shoving it down the worlds throat. Let them put their skirts on and play soccer.

2. “Playing in London provides exceptional exposure to the team, as well as Minnesota’s impressive business community and tourism industry.”
    For who?
    Are they hoping to see revenue increases from the Brits? Seriously?
    Excuse me while I go LMAO.

3. Steelers won the last 2 meetings. In 2005 on the road at Minnesota during their Super Bowl season and again in ’08 at Heinz Field in yet, another Super Bowl season.

4. “HSBC Bank Stadium on the campus of the University of Minnesota”? It’s TCF Bank Stadium, or just “The Bank” as we call it around here (TCF Bank sucks as a financial institution).

I don’t mind this so much, but it does make way more sense to have done this in 2014 or 2015 while they are actually in The Bank, they are slated to still be in the Metrodome in 2013.

5. packmanfan says:Oct 16, 2012 6:40 PM

For who?
    Are they hoping to see revenue increases from the Brits? Seriously?
    Excuse me while I go LMAO.

———————–

Actually, as far as NFL team popularity in Europe goes, the Vikings are one of the more popular. Could have to do with the fact that their team name is actually from a part of Europe, historically 😛

6. Wait a minute, Khan. You said we were going to London for four straight years to try and develop a fan base & become their team…

Did you know that the Vikes & one of the most popular teams in the league were going before you?

1-4 is bad. Touting yourself as London’s team before the Steelers show up? Stupid.

7. stainlessstill says:
    Oct 16, 2012 6:42 PM

-Actually they won in 2005 and 2009 not 2008-

so your point is moot

8. I agree with the Rooneys on most things football. Taking my team across the Atlantic isn’t one of them. Would post my ire in more vehement terms, but why bother? The NFL doesn’t care how bread-and-butter fans feel about its bizarre London expansion fantasies. But I take comfort in knowing how much money the owners threw away on the World League of American Football. I’m more than content to watch arrogant fools throw good money after bad.

9. People criticize these games in London, but evidently they sell out every time. The NFL must be making money on it, or they would’ve canned the idea years ago.

10. A “home” game for the Vikings…and it will be funny when 85% of fans in there are Steelers fans.

11. thegreatgabbert says:Oct 16, 2012 6:38 PM

Several members of the current Steeler defense, who played in that Super Bowl game, are looking forward to the rematch.

==================================

I got a good laugh out of this. Nice one.

12. filthymcnasty1 says:Oct 16, 2012 6:54 PM

Say what you will, but the Brits have as many Lombardy Trophies as the Vikings do.
    —–
    None, because there is no such thing as a Lombardy trophy. If youre going to attempt to be funny you might want to at least spell the name of the trophy correctly. It is Lombardi…wow, new to the NFL?

13. Ok, enough NFL. This is a sport that will never be sold in Europe. You charge an arm and leg to go to a (fill in the blank crappy corporate name) stadium and forget season tickets where you gouge full price for “practice” games, and now you won’t stop with these Mexico, London, Canada,? road games.

Between the coming flag football rules and these silly money grabbing moves you’re killing us. Remember us, the people that pay for a cramped seat or watch 1000 commercials a quarter, who now wait till February for the super bowl, or see the real refs blow as many calls as the replacements. Enough, we want our game back!

14. Why we are getting two games a year at Wembley is beyond me. I’m almost certain both won’t sell out given how much people generally spend to get there. I spent £400 all in last year travelling down from Scotland. Most people won’t do that twice and I know quite a few who aren’t going this year despite having gone to the first 5.

As for a franchise. Yeah, we could never support one. Everyone here supports a team already and I don’t think many would abandon their team to support a new London team. Two games a year will kill the International Series in London.

15. britishraven says: Oct 16, 2012 6:49 PM

London will sell out TWO games next year.
    _______________________

Thanks to MANY MANY Germans buying tickets…

The British sure did a bang up job in the NFLE… no, wait the London team was the FIRST team to fold, due to LACK OF INTEREST!

The only reason this game is played in London is business partnerships. It has NOTHING (NOTHING!!!) to due with fanbase. NOTHING!

16. The grass there blows. I think it was Miami and the Giants who played at Wembley in the rain. It was full pads mud wrestling midway through the first quarter. It felt like an exhibition game.

17. Another slap in the face to the American fan. Seriously….when will we all boycott this shell of a game??? I’m ready. Are any of you????

18. I’ve been to every London game so far and haven’t encountered a single German person so I’m not exactly sure how Germany is providing most of the support for the games.

Fact is that we will sell out two games next year and the crowds will be around 85,000 per game, more than the majority of NFL stadia. The NFL makes a fortune from games over here – the game day merchandise sales alone must be in the millions. Viewership is up something like 158% since 2008 and Super Bowl viewership is up ~71%.

The simple truth is that there isn’t a huge market for expansion in tr US so to grow the business the NFL looks elsewhere and it is, on the whole, very successful.

Having said that I don’t think we will ever be able to support a franchise and I’d guess around 95% of fans here don’t want one because it will fail.

19. As much as I hate these stupid international games (thanks to turbo2728 for the honest assessment of London interest), the prospect of a non sellout for a London Super Bowl makes me chuckle.

20. thetokyosandblaster says:Oct 16, 2012 7:46 PM

Look at it this way: The Vikings may actually fill the stadium for this game.
    ——
    Its no different than the consecutive sellout streak that the Vikings have enjoyed for many many years now. Nice try though packer homer.

21. Gosh, I’m sure Londoners are psyched about this! Why, SB IX rematch in their home town!

Seriously, I doubt 99% of English people could name a single participant of that Super Bowl.

22. upperdecker19, don’t get me wrong, the interest is there. I just get the feeling one is enough. I know people who never really watched the sport before who are considering going, but the vast majority of people I know that do go are involved in the sport at some level over here. Having a game over here has really improved the coverage of the sport. SNF is carried on non-cable TV and the BBC have started showing MNF as well as giving greater coverage on their website. There’s also been a massive increase in the number of teams playing in the national league as well as college leagues. So the game has had a positive impact.

23. panthers34 says:Oct 16, 2012 7:17 PM

Too bad. Type of game that one would love to see in a Minn. blizzard.

******

While I do see your point, it’d be really tough for that to ever happen considering the Vikes play in a dome and the game is in september.

24. contra74 says:
    Oct 16, 2012 8:06 PM
    thetokyosandblaster says:Oct 16, 2012 7:46 PM

Look at it this way: The Vikings may actually fill the stadium for this game.
    ——

———————————–

Thank you, Steelers fans.

25. contra74 says:
    Oct 16, 2012 8:06 PM
    thetokyosandblaster says:Oct 16, 2012 7:46 PM

Look at it this way: The Vikings may actually fill the stadium for this game.
    ——

—-

Corporations buying out tickets to avoid a blackout doesn’t count. Sorry, loser!

26. Maybe Wilfy can get the Limey’s to pay for a new stadium next time.

What is this obsession with London? First our blue-collar jobs are exported, then Heineken buys out Budweiser, now our “American” football is globalized???

Why don’t we just export these billionaires instead?

27. To quote Sir Robert Montgomery Knight ‘This is absolute F**KIN BULLS**T’. These are my two favorite teams and I knew they would be playing each other at the Dome next year and was looking forward to making this game my final apperance at the Dome. But the NFL has to do this dumb sh!t. Look, damn London. Football is our thing and soccer is theirs. This make the NFL international nonsense needs to stop. They tried this stunt with NFL Europe and failed miserablly. I have to lose an opportunity to see my two favorite teams play in my backyard because the NFL keeps trying to live this pipe dream of expanding internationally. THE SH!T AIN’T WORKIN. KEEP THE GAMES STATE SIDE. IF THEY WANT TO SEE OUR BRAND OF FOOTBALL, THEN EUROPEAN COUNTRIES CAN START THEIR OWN DAMN LEAGUES. I swear I can’t stand Roger Godells punk a$$. And damn all you trolls who will tell me boo hoo.

28. thetokyosandblaster says:Oct 16, 2012 8:42 PM

contra74 says:
    Oct 16, 2012 8:06 PM
    thetokyosandblaster says:Oct 16, 2012 7:46 PM

Look at it this way: The Vikings may actually fill the stadium for this game.
    ——

—-

—–
    A sellout is a sellout no matter how you slice it. Much like a win is win regardless of how it happened…just ask Golden Tate and the Seahawks LOL.

29. I actually listened to, or should I say tried to listen to, Super Bowl IX on “AFRTS” (Armed Forces Radio & Television Network) while stationed about sixty miles north of London in Barford St. John near Banbury! The static was horrible and the announcers kept fading in and out. It was gut wrenching! Now there is not only American football on the telly in England, the Steelers are actually going to play there! I wouldn’t mind going to Wembley to see that game!

30. I’m a steelers fan, my brother is a vikings fan. We’d had our eye on this game for the past 2 years, and had often talked about going and had gotten very excited at the prospect. To say that I am angered and saddened at this is a vast understatement. But its okay because I’m an American fan, the NFL knows I’ll watch no matter, and they can promptly $hit on me. My hatred for Roger Goodell has never been higher

31. … yeah.. the NFL probably can sell out 2 games in London… hey, Cirque Du Soleil sells out every performance as well.

BUT…

I’d love to see the NFL trying to sell out 8 games in London, the reaction of London fans to PSLs, and the reaction of the London government when the NFL demands public funds to build a brand new stadium.

Let’s face it. The game we loved is no longer. Now it is all corporate greed, and the game itself, seems like they are there more for generating stats for fantasy football leagues and Madden games than anything else

32. The NFL loves London because it is about the only spot overseas that will take them. Goodell burned a lot of bridges when he shut down NFL Europe, so why would places like Amsterdam, Berlin, or Frankfurt want to bow down to the league after losing their teams? I don’t think fans would mind if preseason games were played overseas like in the early 90’s. Then at least season ticket holders wouldn’t be forced to pay for those games and the NFL would still get global exposure.

33. I for one am pleased the steelers are coming to wembley, I have supported this team since the early 80’s and was lucky enough to go to Heinz field in 05 to see a game. Amazing atmosphere and unforgettable. I do agree with other posts regarding a London franchise , it wouldn’t work as every UK fan already supports a team.

34. Since this is a Vikings “home” game, I have no problem with the NFL taking “my” Steelers across the Atlantic. In fact, the Steelers might stand a better chance of winning at a neutral site rather than somewhere in Minnesota.
    My problem with Goodell is his proposed plans to eventually place a franchise in London and playing Super Bowls there.
    Football is America’s game!!!!