Ed Reed says he’s fine, not the only player with unreported injury

Jason Witten, Ed Reed AP

Ed Reed said the news that he has a torn labrum in his shoulder isn’t a “bombshell,” and wouldn’t impact his performance.

At the same time, he said he’s far from the only player with injuries that aren’t reported. He hasn’t been listed on the injury report with anything other than a hamstring strain this year, but had no explanation for that part.

I don’t know why,” Reed said, via Aaron Wilson of the Baltimore Sun. “I’m sure a lot of guys in this league have had injuries and they’re not reported. That’s part of the game that fans and y’all don’t know nothing about. We have to deal with workman comp situations.”

That’s hardly an explanation for the competitive balance issue at hand, and whether it should be reported, but he said anything wrong with his shoulder didn’t change his ability to play.

“That’s something we knew about,” Reed said. “Not anything to worry about I’m not a pitcher, I can still tackle. I ain’t drop no bombshell, man. I ain’t no pitcher. I don’t play baseball. As long as I’m not throwing.

“It is what it is. I’ve been dealing with it. It’s all right.”

Asked if he could still tackle, he said: “I’ll be all right. The New England game I was tackling.”

Even though Reed wasn’t on the injury report at all yesterday, we’re guessing he ends up there soon, and stays there.

Permalink 13 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Baltimore Ravens, Home, Rumor Mill
13 Responses to “Ed Reed says he’s fine, not the only player with unreported injury”
  1. savocabol1 says: Oct 18, 2012 1:13 PM

Get rid of the injury report all together.

2. nflofficeadmin says: Oct 18, 2012 1:25 PM

Ed is just being Ed. Chances in broadcasting do appear to be bleak.

3. mrpkg says: Oct 18, 2012 1:26 PM

This falls on the Head Coach Harbaugh.

Harbaugh has no clue with Reed. He was missing from OTA’s and had no idea why Reed was not there.

4. mswravens says: Oct 18, 2012 1:30 PM

I’ve had a torn labrum for close to 15 years. I told my son this morning what the doctor told me: unless you need your arm to earn your living, it’s meaningless. To further explain he said, unless you are a pitcher, leave it alone. Sounds like Ed got the same advice. For what he does it’s a meaningless injury.

5. randallflagg52 says: Oct 18, 2012 1:36 PM

How about PFT and the NFL start calling out Belichick for his shady injury reports?

6. CKL says: Oct 18, 2012 1:39 PM

Is Reed implying he’s not on the report because if he were, he would have more evidence for WC claims? That’s even more troubling of an accusation that simply an injury report violation.

7. dowhatifeellike says: Oct 18, 2012 1:43 PM

I tore my labrum playing college ball and never had it repaired. I can still hump it up over 80 if I try, it just hurts. Aside from throwing a baseball as hard as I can, the only other thing it hampered was a barbell bench press, but after I strengthened the muscles around it, even that was fine. Reed probably has the strength to compensate from the get-go.

8. danoj14 says: Oct 18, 2012 1:47 PM

mswravens says:
    Oct 18, 2012 1:30 PM

————————————————–

Then you need to see a new physician. See an orthopaedist. I had a torn labrum in my shoulder and couldn’t lift my arm over my shoulder without pain. Canoeing, lifting up bags, etc…all painful.
    If you really don’t use your arms for anything then fine. But if you do and you claim it does not hurt, then you do not have a torn labrum.

9. farty5 says: Oct 18, 2012 1:54 PM

danoj14 says:
    Oct 18, 2012 1:47 PM
    ————————-

Different injuries affect people different ways. You’ll hear some players say that an ACL tear is the most painful experience they’ve ever had an some say it felt like nothing. As with everything, you can’t make a general statement on how something should ‘feel’

10. dowhatifeellike says: Oct 18, 2012 1:56 PM

danoj14: Nobody said it doesn’t hurt. Football player experience pain every day and play through it. What matters to them is the ability to perform.

11. danoj14 says: Oct 18, 2012 3:30 PM

dowhatifeellike says:
    Oct 18, 2012 1:56 PM

————————————————–

I agree. I was responding to mswravens saying that “it’s meaningless” and to “leave it alone.”

12. cliverush says: Oct 18, 2012 5:25 PM

If it is a SLAP (Superior Labrum…..) which I did skiing 2 years ago, then it hurts like hell when you try to use any force with the arm up past the 90 degree mark. Specialist from Brigham and Women state without reservation it does not improve. The only thing that helps are cortizone shots. Overhand throwing and lifting are out. Kayaking is risk. Surgery methods have improved but recovery is long. This guy must be the toughest D-back in football.

13. mswravens says: Oct 20, 2012 8:20 PM

This is a late reply…but the doc was an ortho…sports medicine specialist who did a fellowship under renowned surgeon James Andrews in Birmingham. Pretty sure he knew what he was talking about. I still get soreness in the shoulder if I overuse it in the gym, but I try to manage how I use it in the gym to avoid soreness. I also never carry my golf bag anymore. Other than that, it hasn’t really affected me…