New Browns CEO Banner thinks they can win soon

Jimmy Haslam, Joe Banner AP

It’s been five years since the Browns had a winning record.

If it takes another five for the next one, Joe Banner will be worried about his commitment.

I’ll be in a straitjacket if it takes that long,” Banner said during his introductory press conference, via Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain Dealer.

The new Browns CEO said he was impressed by the resilience of Browns fans, who have enjoyed just two double-digit-win seasons since 1988, and he wants to keep them from suffering much longer.

“I know these fans have been through a lot of hopeful starts and I don’t want to sit up here and be the next promiser in their lives,” Banner said. “We’re just going to have to deliver. I know this: Nobody will work harder, nobody will have a clearer direction, I don’t imagine anybody could have more, maybe somebody else could tie, of a sense of the appreciation of the history of the fans and the city.

“It’s remarkable when you look at the last 18 to 20 years, the passion, the intensity and they’re still filling the stadium. So we’re just going to work as hard as we possibly can to reward that and put the best team on the field we can and just make it fun for everybody.”

Banner was careful not to put a date or time on when the winning would start, saying he hasn’t even broached the topic with new owner Jimmy Haslam.

“[But] I don’t think it should take very long before you’re all sitting here, and the fans watching the team are sitting there going, ‘You know what? These guys know what they’re doing. We’re on the right track. We can start to enjoy this. We’re going to end up in a really good place,” Banner said. “I think you’ll start to feel that reasonably quickly.”

The Browns are currently 1-5, 25th in team offense and 30th in defense.

There are an intriguing collection of prospects on hand, but with legitimate questions about quarterback and coaching, a fast turnaround seems optimistic.

Then again, with what Browns fans have endured already, optimism is something they’ll take.

Permalink 18 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cleveland Browns, Home, Rumor Mill
18 Responses to “New Browns CEO Banner thinks they can win soon”
  1. blackandbluedivision says: Oct 18, 2012 2:05 PM

Not if your quarterback will be 34 by then.

2. pacodawg says: Oct 18, 2012 2:06 PM

Super Bowl in 2015

3. lks311 says: Oct 18, 2012 2:07 PM

After the Browns’ new owner decided to mix business with politics, I have decided to wish another 50 years of misery on this team…or until he no longer owns it.

4. baloneyjohn says: Oct 18, 2012 2:12 PM

Talk is easy. Praising he fans is easy.
    Delivering the bacon with a untalented team, is hard. Holmgren is a classic Peter Principle boss.
    More heads should roll as well.

5. smartdawg says: Oct 18, 2012 2:14 PM

We are counting on you Joe….we fans are well beyond straight jackets….we need heavy meds!

6. notthathand says: Oct 18, 2012 2:17 PM

Brownie fans got nothing on us Lions fans: One (1) double digit win season since ’88, nine (9) double digit losing seasons since ’88.

Detroit went from 0-16 to 10-6 in three years so if we can do it Cleveland can.

7. godofwine330 says: Oct 18, 2012 2:21 PM

I hope he knows what he is doing. I am tired of starting over. I am tired of losing.

8. AlanSaysYo says: Oct 18, 2012 2:25 PM

I’m in shock that it’s only been 5 years since the Browns had a winning season.

The Factory misses foreman Derek Anderson.

9. galvestontexans says: Oct 18, 2012 2:41 PM

Derek Anderson does think that is funny

10. nflofficeadmin says: Oct 18, 2012 3:16 PM

I’m cautiously optimistic for the Browns. I don’t understand Banners comment that he was upset every year they didn’t win the super bowl.. that implies he spent every year in Philly upset. Again, how many whiskey enemas will Haslam need to take before he can turn off the juice and wake up to a winner in Cleveland..

11. laeaglefan says: Oct 18, 2012 3:19 PM

“Did Banner just drop the “Tim Tebow speech” on us with the, “No one will try harder. No one will work harder…””

No….you’ve got it wrong. That’s the Juan Castillo speech.

12. newagerocker says: Oct 18, 2012 3:23 PM

Soon… Just like all of the NFC East Championships he brought to Philadelphia and the 1 NFC Championship. We’re still waiting for the big one Joe. Well Cleveland fans, you think you hate Pat Shurmur? Wait til ya get a load of Banner! Enjoy!

13. farvite says: Oct 18, 2012 4:04 PM

Bill Cowher will get this organization turned around in short order.

14. gus1779 says: Oct 18, 2012 4:16 PM

Super Bowl in 2015…against the Lions.
    Just think, back in the 50′s, fans were getting tired of all the Browns-Lions championship games. Crazy.

15. j0esixpack says: Oct 18, 2012 4:17 PM

Although I’m a Patriots fan, I’ma football fan first – and seeing a historic team like the Browns remain a laughing stock for so long is not good for the NFL

Ever since Browns fans gave up their delusion that MangIdiot would be their savior, I’ve been pulling strong for them to do well.

Here’s hoping they can finally turn the corner.

16. jrs45 says: Oct 18, 2012 5:31 PM

—————————————————-
    Seriously??? Why don’t you go back to 1994 since the last time your team won a playoff game. What you guys have now reminds me of the Browns in the 80′s…..so many championship games but not the big prize! I would gladly go back to that and what Banner has brought to Philly!

17. hatesycophants says: Oct 18, 2012 7:11 PM

The point is, this guy has never delivered the real prize. The only reason he has the gig is because his buddy bought the team. You’ll never go platinum.

18. blantoncollier says: Oct 18, 2012 8:02 PM

I might be the only person in CLE who thinks but—Big Woop, Joe Banner is coming to town as the CEO. He has turned his lifelong friendship with Jeff Lurie into saving the browns?

Was he the GM in Philly? Nope
    Was he the Coach? Nope
    Was he the owner? Nope

He was the cap guy that pissed off the players, agents and fans.

He “left” the Eagles to try talk someone into giving them a piece of a team. He ran his mouth off to the Philly media about teams that were for sale. Now he gets the keys to the Browns, including overseeing football operations?

He reminds me of another guy that was on a fast track to save the Browns Carmen Policy.