Report: Garrett Reid died of accidental heroin overdose

Andy Reid, AP

The sense of normalcy at Eagles training camp was shattered on the morning of August 5, when Garrett Reid was found dead in his dorm room at Lehigh University.  According to 6abc.com, Northampton County District Attorney John Morganelli will announce this afternoon that the son of Eagles coach Andy Reid died from an accidental heroin overdose.

Garrett Reid battled addiction for years.  The problem first came to light in 2007, when he admitted that he was under the influence of heroin when he crashed his Jeep.  He thereafter was in and out of court, and jail, as he tried to overcome his addiction.

“I don’t want to die doing drugs,” Garrett Reid once told a judge, via 6abc.com.  “I don’t want to be that kid who was the son of the head coach of the Eagles, who was spoiled and on drugs and OD’ed and just faded into oblivion.”

We continue to extend our best wishes and condolences to the Reid family, and we hope that they will find comfort, peace, and closure.

Permalink 40 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill
40 Responses to “Report: Garrett Reid died of accidental heroin overdose”
  1. kwalk4780 says: Oct 18, 2012 12:56 PM

may the kid rest in peace. Does anyone ever intend to overdose?

2. nfcbeastly says: Oct 18, 2012 12:59 PM

Let’s shelf football for a second and remember how precious life is. RIP Garrett

3. randyschwimmer7 says: Oct 18, 2012 12:59 PM

Football aside.

Not one person should have to go through this as a parent, son, daughter, or anything. I have seen people addicted to bad things, and it completely consumes their life. It is terrible that the Reid family lost their family member to such a terrible disease. Hopefully Garrett Reid is resting in peace and the family can someday learn to cope with this terrible tragedy they had to deal with.

4. wetdentist says: Oct 18, 2012 1:00 PM

drugs should be a health issue, not a criminal justice issue. end the failure: the 40 year, trillion dollar drug war. condolences to the Reid family. go Eagles!

5. blacknole08 says: Oct 18, 2012 1:00 PM

“I don’t want to die doing drugs,” Garrett Reid once told a judge, via 6abc.com. “I don’t want to be that kid who was the son of the head coach of the Eagles, who was spoiled and on drugs and OD’ed and just faded into oblivion.”

——————————————————

Wow… sad and chilling at the same time. He called his own death.

6. seattlerogueburner says: Oct 18, 2012 1:01 PM

No parent should bury their child. I hope this tragic event will hold a lesson to those curious of this horrible substance. Unless it grows out of the ground, no drug is worth the risk.

7. thraiderskin says: Oct 18, 2012 1:01 PM

I’m not too sure what to say… I feel bad for Andy Reid, but I don’t feel bad about some guy who OD’ed. This is why you can’t give most people things, they don’t know how to handle stuff they didn’t work for.

8. thestrategyexpert says: Oct 18, 2012 1:03 PM

Still waiting for this oountry to declare a real War on Drugs. Just another day and another victim from the battlefield.

9. eaglesw00t says: Oct 18, 2012 1:05 PM

Why is the da going to announce anything? You aren’t a Reid. Not your damn business to make their business public

10. eaglesw00t says: Oct 18, 2012 1:06 PM

Why is the da going to announce anything? You aren’t a Reid. Mind your business and respect their privacy.

11. steviekthr3e says: Oct 18, 2012 1:08 PM

I didn’t know there were purposeful overdoses….

12. blackngold4life says: Oct 18, 2012 1:10 PM

Sad..but Anytime you use that JUNK there’s always that chance of overdosing. Its the worse drug a person could use that’s why its been around for generations. Just sad

13. wingshater21 says: Oct 18, 2012 1:12 PM

wow, that might be the first time accidental and heroin were used together, I’m pretty sure that is wrong, seeing its not an accident when you’re injecting yourself with heroin knowing exactly what it does

14. medialovesthecowboys says: Oct 18, 2012 1:12 PM

Sad. Just sad.

15. joepa400 says: Oct 18, 2012 1:16 PM

Puts thing into perspective. R.I.P. Condolences to the Reid’s

16. umainebearman says: Oct 18, 2012 1:16 PM

It still and always be a tradegy but thrres nothing accidental about using heroin. It’s also disturbing that he as in the Eagles compound while doing heroin. Who sold it to him?

17. eaglesnoles05 says: Oct 18, 2012 1:21 PM

Reid had a lot on his mind, man. Much respect.

18. jgagliano1199 says: Oct 18, 2012 1:22 PM

Good job, wingshater21, not a time for your judgement. Who knows if you may have to face addiction, or god forbid, a loved one. Prayers and condolences to the entire Eagles family. This is a true shame, heroin is not to be taken likely.

19. sourdoughsam says: Oct 18, 2012 1:23 PM

thestrategyexpert says:
    Oct 18, 2012 1:03 PM
    ____________________________________

You mean like prohibition? Yeah, that worked out well.

I lost an uncle to a herion overdose. It’s a sad deal, but we can’t protect people from themselves.

God Bless the Reid family.

20. notthathand says: Oct 18, 2012 1:31 PM

Very sad. I feel bad for Andy.

Laws needs to be changed so our enforcement personnel concentrate on busting the people who deal this nasty stuff. Going around pulling pot plants out of cornfields ain’t getting it done.

21. thestrategyexpert says: Oct 18, 2012 1:34 PM

steviekthr3e says: Oct 18, 2012 1:08 PM

I didn’t know there were purposeful overdoses….

Yes there are. When you are an addict and also suffering from depression, or one of many other issues, then some of those kids look to take a permanent nap. I have firsthand heard from more than 1 person that told me they thought it was a possible course of action worthy to consider for themselves.

Sad but very true. Would you like me to find you the statistics for those that intentionally overdose? It’s not a fun lesson to learn though.

22. CKL says: Oct 18, 2012 1:47 PM

thestrategyexpert says:
    Oct 18, 2012 1:03 PM

___________________________________
    I wish that’s how it was but the employment laws that protect alcoholics and drug addicts say otherwise (real diseases are not choices we make). I’m all for letting people make their own choices about pretty much everything, but we protect them too much from the consequences of those choices with our laws.

Heartbreak is as much a part of life as triumph. I don’t wish the death of a loved one on anyone and I hope the Reid family isn’t swimming in guilt along with their sorrow. Their son was a grownup, at least in age.

23. thelastpieceofcheese says: Oct 18, 2012 1:49 PM

This is sad, and I extend my most sincere condolences to the Reed family.

But Garret is another victim of the war on drugs.

Drugs should be legalized, regulated and taxed.

Have you ever heard of a mugging to buy a bottle of Jack Daniels?

Have you ever heard of wine cartels or beer gangs?

24. ickky says: Oct 18, 2012 1:53 PM

very sorry for the Reid family

25. aaronrodgersbelt says: Oct 18, 2012 1:55 PM

May he rest in peace and hopefully this brings at least a little bit of closure to the Reid family.

26. lanjoith says: Oct 18, 2012 2:01 PM

I didn’t know there were purposeful overdoses….

Look up the name Shannon Hoon

27. mdubatx1987 says: Oct 18, 2012 2:03 PM

man, until any of yall have faced addiction personally and beaten it like I have …don’t sit here and say it’s not a disease. I’m 4 years sober now and it was the biggest challenge of my life. To merely say that it was only a “choice” and we shouldn’t protect people like that only shows how truly ignorant you are to this epidemic.

28. steelers4385 says: Oct 18, 2012 2:08 PM

If my son had an addiction to something that serious i would leave the team to fix my family. Family always comes first. He needed his dad and his dad was busy playing with vick. Man that vick guy is bad luck. Such a young life wasted. So sad.

29. wikipediasaidso says: Oct 18, 2012 2:47 PM

Judging Andy Reid’s actions seems unnecessarily cold and heartless. Hey, nobody’s a perfect parent but after reading the stories that came out after Garrett’s death, it’s clear that his dad had gone out of his way in recent years to do what he could to assist in his recovery and be involved in his son’s life.

Including giving him a job that had them in close daily contact. The problem with kids is they grow up and become adults, and then you have to let them make their own choices. And addiction is a powerful thing, no matter how hard you try to save someone from it and how much love and attention you give them when they’re trying to fight it.

30. cornersss says: Oct 18, 2012 2:50 PM

This is so sad. Its an epidemic spreading across the country. Heroin and Methadone are horrible drugs that ruin everyone around the person using. Its a sad problem we all need to pay close attention too. Locking people up doesnt work.

31. eyeh8goodell says: Oct 18, 2012 2:52 PM

Condolences to the Reid family. Seriously, just leave football behind for a while and go be with your family. The game isn’t going anywhere, but your time with your family is a finite thing.

32. coltzfan166 says: Oct 18, 2012 4:11 PM

God bless Andy for all he’s going through. These have been a rough few months for him. Something no one should have to go through.

33. cambodianbreastmilk says: Oct 18, 2012 4:34 PM

This is tough and hits close to home. A friend of mine from high school just OD’d on heroin the end of August. Without a doubt, one of the most gifted guys I ever had a chance to play baseball with. He went to Cal State Fullerton on a baseball scholarship but just couldn’t get clean and eventually left the program. He tried getting help & reaching out to others but continued to relapse. Shortly before he passed, his wife gave birth to his 2nd kid just 3wks prior. No parent should outlive their children.

34. BeachBum46 says: Oct 18, 2012 5:23 PM

thelastpieceofcheese says:

“But Garret is another victim of the war on drugs.

Drugs should be legalized, regulated and taxed.

Have you ever heard of a mugging to buy a bottle of Jack Daniels?

Have you ever heard of wine cartels or beer gangs?”
    _____________________________________

Really? So what your saying is if it was legal he wouldn’t have overdosed?
    Nobody mugged him for his heroin, no gang or cartel killed him for it.
    He was an addict, addicts tolerances build up, it takes more and more higher doses to get them the high they need. Eventually it’s to much for their body to handle and they die.
    Regulation is not going to stop the addict from OD ing.

35. mikealstott says: Oct 18, 2012 5:39 PM

My dad worked in a factory assembling transmissions his whole life. What a wasted opportunity to do something with your life….. I have absolutely no sympathy for this clown….

36. nathanbetz91 says: Oct 18, 2012 6:38 PM

@blacknole08,
    I agree, sad and a little creepy,but anyone who’s a heroin addict can basically always call their death in advance. Plus Isnt it kind of an oxymoron to say an accidental overdose? Like nobody tries to od unless they’re suicidal. But the way I see it any amount of heroin a person uses is an overdose

37. misterdreamer119 says: Oct 18, 2012 6:52 PM

I truly feel for andy and his wife. The saddest thing has to be burrying a child.

38. csilojohnson says: Oct 18, 2012 6:59 PM

Sad another victim of this countries failed war on its own people. When will we stop this madness. Rest in peace Reid. I’ve been in the same shackles and am fortunate to have overcome the daily struggle for some time. Anyone who has stood in those shoes knows you are in a better place now.

39. pftcensorssuck says: Oct 18, 2012 7:19 PM

And to all of those who bleated “Don’t jump to conclusions!!!!!” ………….

40. orivar says: Oct 21, 2012 1:04 PM

Looks like he relapsed, that’s a damn shame. Also I think for the most part overdosing is an accident.

Either ways, I know Reid is still hurting.