David Wilson thinks he’s a HOFer if he can ever get the pill

New York Giants v San Francisco 49ers Getty Images

Giants rookie David Wilson hasn’t even found a steady job yet, but he’s already planning his induction speech for a future trip to Canton.

The running back told Newsday’s Bob Glauber he thinks he’ll be remembered as one of the best by the time he’s finished.

I think at the end of my career, I’ll be in the Hall of Fame,” Wilson said. “I know myself, and I know [when] I have guys around me that feel the same way, which I feel I do. When I get my opportunity, the sky is not the limit. I think it’s past it. You have to believe in yourself to do good things. This is how I feel.”

He’s going to have to build on his 15 carries for 87 yards before he gets fitted for the jacket, and he’s going to have to hang onto the ball to earn more attempts. His fumble in the opener caused the Giants to pull back the reins on him, and most of his work has come as a kick returner (where he’s looked good, 28.4 yards per return).

Giants offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride rolled his eyes at the Hall of Fame remark, saying Wilson still needed to show the coaching staff some things.

“We’ll see,” Gilbride said when asked if Wilson would get more opportunities. “He’s progressing in some things, but some things he has a ways to go. He’s got a lot of room for growth.”

One of those areas is in pass protection, as Wilson recalled a conversation with tight ends coach Mike Pope in practice recently.

“He came to me and said somebody missed a blitz, and he said, ‘You know, on that blitz, you have to look at . . . ‘” Wilson said. “And I finished his sentence for him. I said, ‘See? I know it.’

“I’m like birth control. You have to believe in me. Like birth control, 99.9 percent of the time I’m going to come through for you.”

Wilson has all the talent in the world. Now all he has to do is convince Tom Coughlin he’s sponge-worthy.

Permalink 23 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, New York Giants, Rumor Mill
23 Responses to “David Wilson thinks he’s a HOFer if he can ever get the pill”
  1. notthathand says: Oct 19, 2012 8:22 AM

So, do the Jets and Giants share the same clown car?

2. pabrownsfan says: Oct 19, 2012 8:38 AM

ok everyone. cue the birth control jokes now!

3. finsfrontofficeisajoke says: Oct 19, 2012 8:38 AM

Travis Henry and Antonio Cromartie could use some of your advice on birth control, Mr. Wilson.

What an odd analogy.

4. elmaxoh says: Oct 19, 2012 8:39 AM

Yeah you better protect more the football if you just want to be a starter … Even Andre Brown is ahead of you …

5. toddwardou says: Oct 19, 2012 8:39 AM

You know, I’m 5’8 140 lbs, but if the Patriots would just give me some opportunities I would show them they don’t need Welker. I am the greatest player of all time, I just need the opportunities. Thank you David Wilson, you have inspired me to become great!

6. dexterismyhero says: Oct 19, 2012 8:45 AM

Give him the Ocho Stinko gold jacket with the stupid looking hof on it.

7. spellingcops says: Oct 19, 2012 8:47 AM

Well, at least he’s on the correct team for running his mouth.

8. jrock3x8 says: Oct 19, 2012 9:08 AM

he must have been hanging out with cade mcnown…

9. thehouseofho says: Oct 19, 2012 9:12 AM

He does not think he’s a Hall of Famer. He is simply explaining his mentality and his outlook on the game and how he approaches it. He flat out says, “You have to believe in yourself to do good things.”

How many times have we said athletes have all the talent in the world, but don’t have the drive or the confidence in themselves? It’s obvious Wilson has the talent and now we know for a fact he has the drive and the confidence to succeed.

10. lonespeed says: Oct 19, 2012 9:12 AM

Many people will write this off as ‘kid, you need to do something first’ or ‘just shut-up already’, but I think that would be ignoring the forest for the trees.

If Wilson stays healthy throughout his career, I think he’s right, he’s going to be something special.

Sure, he fumbled week one and Coughlin hasn’t been willing to give him a shot out of the backfiled since, but that will change at some point and I believe when all is said and done he’ll be the best back in last year’s draft.

Sometimes it takes a season or two. Wilson will get his chance, his handling problems are fixable, and his talent just doesn’t come along that often.

11. Josh says: Oct 19, 2012 9:14 AM

David Wilson’s new nickname: “The Pill”

The Giants are going to smash “The Pill” down the opponent’s throat.

The Giants are going to smash “The Pill” into the gut of the defense.

Boom!

12. mempusa says: Oct 19, 2012 9:23 AM

The confidence in himself is great BUT he needs to stop getting chased around the backfield and just hit the holes and go.

13. n0hopeleft says: Oct 19, 2012 9:41 AM

Ask anyone who knows this kid. He is humble, he is not a trouble maker, and he is not arrogant. This story is misleading.

The kid has already showed flashes that he can be a stud. His time will come.

14. jsebastiao says: Oct 19, 2012 9:54 AM

One think about the Giants is they have a history of great running backs that they build and let’s not forget that they fixed tiki’s and bradshaws fumbling problems! Wilson is going to be a beast and we haven’t seen a back with his speed or elusiveness on the squad in a long time!

15. aljack88 says: Oct 19, 2012 10:06 AM

n0hopeleft says:
    Oct 19, 2012 9:41 AM
    ————————————————————

The media will spin anything to get the most milage out of it. Factual content can make for some dull reading in some cases, so they just take a few statements out of context to make a better story.

16. salventuri says: Oct 19, 2012 10:12 AM

I can’t believe everyone including the Giants coaches are still dwelling on that ONE fumble. Like a single fumble was the end of the world. Give it a rest already with that.

I do think this Wilson kid is going to be good. He’s so quick and fast, a lot of defenders will be looking at the back of his jersey in the years ahead.

17. fincity305 says: Oct 19, 2012 10:31 AM

All these new yorkers, and no one notices the seinfeld reference??

18. angrylionsfan says: Oct 19, 2012 10:58 AM

I sure noticed it! Best part of the article! LOL

19. thankheavenfornumberseven says: Oct 19, 2012 11:22 AM

David Wilson thinks he’s a HOFer if he can ever get the pill
    ____

Sounds like he’s already got some kind of drug.

20. bluebagz says: Oct 19, 2012 11:54 AM

Look this kid is super confident and that will always be a good thing because guess what, this kid is special.He has an abilility to see small gaps and burst through them.When was the last time we had a legitimate threat for kickoff returns?His time will come to be the feature back.He will have to fully understand the offense in order to be the man.Remember this offense is Eli’s and if Eli does not feel he is ready, than he is not ready!Go Blue!!!!

21. ihatethejets23 says: Oct 19, 2012 12:00 PM

Too bad he’s not as smart as he is arrogant.

22. joeyd524 says: Oct 19, 2012 4:09 PM

From what I’ve read he’s pretty smart,not mike vick smart though..rolleyes

23. Angry Orange Man says: Oct 20, 2012 1:31 AM

When I read that he said he was like birth control, i thought he meant because they hardly ever use him.